Original GTC NTSC/J wont play with my Swap Magic

• Thread starter Ceasar2455
  • 20 comments
Not sure if we have the same problem, but here is mine:

I had my console mod in Hong Kong and could play GTC without problem. When i'm back to the US, the console can play it but i can't see jack on the TV screen.....

I have a swap magic and they told me that the game would play but when i swap the discs the game wont thats the only game i have a problem with my GT4 Epilogue plays fine but this game dont know what goin on. If you could help me i would greatly apreciate.

It sounds like a different problem.
In my case the game actually runs but it's the display that's having problem. Good luck to us.....

I just got my copy of the game yesterday (GTC 2002
Tokyo-Geneva, NTSC/J), and it didn't work with my swap magic either. But I'm wondering, does anyone know if a burned copy will work? I might try that this weekend...

Mine is a copy too.
I'm puzzled....I have many other copied, NTSC/J games and they work fine.

What's even more puzzling is, i had my PS2 mod in Hong Kong and the very same GTC tokyo-geneva disc plays perfect. And when i'm back to the states, it's not working. The only difference in the whole story is the TV......

by "copy," do you mean, a second-hand burning? Mine isn't a display problem, the swap disc just doesn't load it...the border goes red when I hit x to load.

I was so looking forward to playing this game...

Having copied the contents of the GTC disc to my Hard drive, in preparation for burning a DVD-R copy, I noticed a file called "system.cnf" that's a 54 byte file. I surmised from the file's name that it's a "system confirm" file, which would be the actual file that's read to verify your system, and engage the regional lockout etc. So, I was going to try burning a copy of the game without that file on it and see what happens. What I don't know is if it requires that file to even start up...But with any luck I will have removed the problem...I'll let you know how it turns out...

That's true, I have a Mod PS2 and a Japanese PS/2! This game only works with my Oringinal Japanese PS/2, I made a Copy for my Mod PS/2 and It wont Boot, It wont even boot using Swap Magic Disc and a Flip Top PS/2! For some reason the Japanese Version GT Concept 2002 only works on a Japanese PS/2, You can play a Back up/Copy of the (Pal) version on a Moded PS/2, You can also play the (Pal) version with Swap Magic Disc whether it be the original or Copy!
(Personally TESTED)!

You can play the PAL version? I might have to invest in one of those video converters then...

btw, my PS2 doesn't read DVD-Rs at all, so...

Sven
I've come under the impression that having my system refurbished might solve the problem...

Probably your Swap Magic got scratched badly, you should check it out. Or it could be your Swap Magic Ver.#. Did you know that when you get Swap Magic it comes with 2 disc one says DVD and other says CD. Use the DVD one. 👍

Well, not sure about all you guys' cases.
But in my case, the very same DVD disk with the very same PS2(with mod chip, now i don't know what brand of chip they put in there though), the game boot and was played PERFECTLY on my Sony TV in Hong Kong.

The very same stuff simply displays junks on my Sony TV in USA. The only difference is the TV (but both are made by Sony). But obviously the game boots and runs well...I can hear musics from the opening theme of the game....

Man, i just wish I have shipped my TV from HK...

okay, gran turismo concept is a dual layered dvd, swap magic loads only single layer dvds. Dual layere dvds are double pressed and couldn't be copied until recently with the release of dual layered burners. Oh and the swap magic does play import originals. If you guys got more questions, you know where to reach me.

The problem with the PS2s that can play well in HK and mess up in US is because of the display format.

America uses NTSC while HK uses PAL. Get an NTSC/PAL convertor at a local electronics store and you should be good.

The ORIGINAL NTSC/J version works perfectly fine on my original OLD Messiah modded NTSC USA PS2. Although my PS2 doesnt read CDs for some reason, DVDs work fine.

Someone help! If I had swap magic, could I play Initial D Special Stage (NTSC J) on my Australian PAL PS2? I've been trying to play this game for a long time. I cant get a mod chip either because my PS2 is a SCPH 30002 version.

Back