Original Track Redesigns - Good or Bad? [READ OP]

• Thread starter LeGeNd-1
  • 263 comments

How would you like original tracks brought back?

• Renovated graphically and layouts modernised

Votes: 165 37.4%
  • Renovated graphically only

Votes: 143 32.4%
  • Don't really care either way, I'll still take them

Votes: 115 26.1%
  • Don't want original tracks back, focus on real circuits please

Votes: 18 4.1%

• Total voters
I'm trying to imagine a modernized Seattle track. So much has changed in the second half of the circuit. The Kingdome is gone and the street to the south of it would be replaced with an elevated intersection around T-Mobile Park, then working your way around the entrance to the tunnel that replaced the viaduct, to a revamped waterfront.

A game with only good tracks and content feels good. There is absolutely nothing wrong with old content. Do we not like certain tracks in real life because they're so old?
They can't be old tracks if they've been renovated.

I'm hoping they don't modernize tracks just for the sake of modernizing them, but rather to improve the racing. I think the revised Trial Mountain will be better in that sense.

Interesting question. I would say we're safe in Gran Turismo world.

Look at how good the original tracks translated into GT5/6.

I'll give you an example that's bad. I used to love Maple Valley in Forza 4.

Look at how it is in Forza 7 - they did something to it so that it feels like a poor facsimile.

I'm trying to imagine a modernized Seattle track. So much has changed in the second half of the circuit. The Kingdome is gone and the street to the south of it would be replaced with an elevated intersection around T-Mobile Park, then working your way around the entrance to the tunnel that replaced the viaduct, to a revamped waterfront.

Seattle wouldn't make it these days even if they modelled the track on the early 2000's layout, because of the jumps. They'd have to smooth that out or put chicanes in, or re-route the track. I'd bet Seattle's never coming back in any other form but name alone.... better fire up the PS2 and jump into a GT40 if you want that nostalgia hit.

I don't quite understand why they put in the slow chicane before the start and finish line because it has probably ruined the fast left-right-left which was usually marginally flat in a high grip car. Now you're more likely to be accelerating through them. It would be like replacing Copse corner at Silverstone with a hairpin which would then destroy Becketts. If it's to conform to GT track modernisation, they could have made the existing chicane similar to Dragon Trail by putting in Armco barriers, and raising or removing that low bridge. If not, they should have just made it straight.

Just a small thing, I know, but I sense there aren't many racing people left at PD because every incremental change they make now always leans towards making things safe and easy.

I don't quite understand why they put in the slow chicane before the start and finish line because it has probably ruined the fast left-right-left which was usually marginally flat in a high grip car. Now you're more likely to be accelerating through them. .
The start Finish straight is now twice as long so I dont think this will be much of a problem.

The start Finish straight is now twice as long so I dont think this will be much of a problem.

I didn't see the written preview until now and it was hard to tell the track had been extended in the trailer. Yes, speed into turn one should be similar, but it's a real shame that fast chicane has gone.

I didn't see the written preview until now and it was hard to tell the track had been extended in the trailer. Yes, speed into turn one should be similar, but it's a real shame that fast chicane has gone.
I have to disagree with you, but only because now I wont have to hear about people "Yeeting" through it at high speed or something. I'm old and I hate that phrase.

I have to disagree with you, but only because now I wont have to hear about people "Yeeting" through it at high speed or something. I'm old and I hate that phrase.

This is why I keep trying to encourage sim racers to up their game so that their driving world goes on to another level and the experience becomes much more enjoyable. Honestly, once players get to A, everything changes, but you have a new set of problems.

That chicane was awesome with the car moving around whilst minimising tyre scrub.

I say we should take it easy, there WILL be two versions of TM. New version for e-sport events, and then the TM with modernized high speed chicane.

Last edited:
We're only going to get two versions of Trial mountain.

-Forwards
-Backwards
What gets me thinking is how we didn't see the backwards version in the trailer so surely that means we should expect a lot more tracks. Just my thought.

i watched a GT4 video of Costa d'Amalfi. Man, there was some serious air at one of the uphill esses. That track would definitely need an overhaul.

So the question is “how much is too much?”

Well, when they changed grand valley speedway so much, it is basically Deep Forest.... Anything less than that is fine by me.

If PD revamp all classic tracks, I would jump to the moon with joy, as we get to re-establish mastery of these circuits all over with a nice layer of nostalgia. I’m all for it!

Seattle wouldn't make it these days even if they modelled the track on the early 2000's layout, because of the jumps. They'd have to smooth that out or put chicanes in, or re-route the track. I'd bet Seattle's never coming back in any other form but name alone.... better fire up the PS2 and jump into a GT40 if you want that nostalgia hit.
Seattle was DUUUUUUUUUMB!

The new TM chicane also opens up a passing opportunity at the end of the lap that normally wouldn't have been there...

GV would just need a graphical update as it could hold enough cars.

I'm hoping Apricot Hill gains about a mile in length but keeps the exact same layout. Just kinda scale the while thing up then narrow the pavement back to where it was, it's laps are too short.

The sadist in me wants to see a new version of HSR with a buncha chicanes added.

I don't understand why people want these original fantasy tracks to be more realistic. Don't they already have enough real world tracks to race on?

I don't see why a fantasy track being changed is such a furor. It's just that, a fantasy. You could go so far as to create one original track and then modify it so much that it becomes another track entirely with no tangible loss.

The great thing about creating a fantasy track is that you have the freedom to be more creative than you otherwise can in the real world. I don't care if it is an impossibility, I think Eiger Nordwand is a brilliant, brilliant track.

I don't understand why people want these original fantasy tracks to be more realistic. Don't they already have enough real world tracks to race on?
...because, at least in my mind, I want to FEEL like it's a real track, even though it isn't.

Stuff like Grand Valley, Apricot Hill, and High Speed Ring rule because if you won the lottery, you could actually build them and race on them.

I don't see why a fantasy track being changed is such a furor. It's just that, a fantasy. You could go so far as to create one original track and then modify it so much that it becomes another track entirely with no tangible loss.

The great thing about creating a fantasy track is that you have the freedom to be more creative than you otherwise can in the real world. I don't care if it is an impossibility, I think Eiger Nordwand is a brilliant, brilliant track.

Exactly. PD have made tons of great fantasy tracks over the years, that are fun to drive on because they're an escape from modern real world circuits that are designed with safety in mind. I enjoy driving on many vintage circuits (1960s Spa, Rouen, etc.) in sims for the same reason. There is no need to worry about your safety in a sim, so they can be enjoyed to the fullest.

PD offer both ends of the spectrum in their games, fantasy and real. Sometimes I want to drive on modern Spa, sometimes I want to speed through a forest with minimal barriers, undulations and gentle S bends, like Deep Forest offers. Why must all tracks in the game be confined to a realistic mold?

I understand why TM was changed, it needed a longer pit lane, and even though I'm not that satisfied with what they replaced the final chicane with, from what I saw the track is still very much the TM that I enjoyed over the years. My opinion might change when I actually try it out for myself, but I'm glad they're making an effort to bring it back.

Back