OWS - Now Saturday morning and Wednesday evening. Casual and beginner racers wanted!Open 

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 565 comments
Canada
Oak Bay, NB, Canada
Bic44
O.W.S LEAGUE MISSION (Old, weird and slow)
There's a lot of Gr racing leagues and events. Blistering fast cars that give a thrill and favor highly skilled racers. I'm not one of those people. I enjoy driving all the oddball stuff. Or the classics. I love seeing a field of mish-mash cars. That Honda S800 trying desperately to hold the lead in a straight with a Dodge Challenger and Maserati Merak hot in pursuit is my idea of a good time.

So, this is the start of a little corner of GT for all of us fans of the off-the-beaten-path cars. My idea is simple - meet once a week to start (now two!)and have short races with lower performance cars. The idea isn't necessarily to win, it is to do two things (besides having fun) - practice good racecraft and enjoy seeing other's cars.

I don't want anyone to feel intimidated, I want varying skill levels. A place where you can swap a couple parts in or restrict power/add ballast to fit the PP and race. We all have lives, I'm no exception. I want people to be able to jump in with 5 minutes of prep if they want. You can use whatever aids you like. Again, this isn't about winning. Competitive without being intimidating.

Obviously, crashes happen and it's a part of racing. And I expect this could potentially attract new racers (you're wholeheartedly invited!), so don't feel bad if you've caused a wreck. Having said that, please do not drive aggressively. That hole that you might just be able to squeeze through? Don't take it. Gone off into the grass a bit? Be careful re-entering. GTplanet has a good racecraft guide here https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-good-racecraft-guide.183891/

If you follow that AND remember this isn't a 'winning is everything' mentality league, you'll be just fine. So join me - let's see those cars gathering dust in your garage. Maybe we'll even see some historic liveries or nice original ones! This idea is still in it's infancy, so suggestions are more than welcome.

So, Saturday morning - 5am ET. I'm Bic44 on PSN. So send a friend request, since my rooms are friends only now, and just put GTplanet on it, I'll gladly accept!

Last edited:
A 5am ET start time - especially on the weekend when DST starts - is going to severely limit participation. I suggest that you start at 9am ET if you want the maximum response.

A 5am ET start time - especially on the weekend when DST starts - is going to severely limit participation. I suggest that you start at 9am ET if you want the maximum response.
I hear ya. I'm sure I won't get anyone from North America. But for me, it is the only time of day I can race. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. But I'm going to try

Hey everyone! I've been haunting Gtplanet for a long time now. I've had this idea a few times but it never came to fruition. So, after thinking about it for the past few weeks, I want to try this on GT7.

There's a lot of Gr racing leagues and events. Blistering fast cars that give a thrill and favor highly skilled racers. I'm not one of those people. I enjoy driving all the oddball stuff. Or the classics. I love seeing a field of mish-mash cars. That Honda S800 trying desperately to hold the lead in a straight with a Dodge Challenger and Maserati Merak hot in pursuit is my idea of a good time.

So, this post is (hopefully!) the start of a little corner of GT for all of us fans of the off-the-beaten-path cars. My idea is simple - meet once a week to start, have 3 - 5 short races with a PP restriction. No BoP here, just tune your cars how you like to fit the restriction and race. The idea isn't necessarily to win, it is to do two things (besides having fun) - practice good racecraft and enjoy seeing other's cars.

I don't want anyone to feel intimidated, I want varying skill levels. A place where you can swap a couple parts in or restrict power/add ballast to fit the PP and race. We all have lives, I'm no exception. I want people to be able to jump in with 5 minutes of prep if they want. You can use whatever aids you like. Again, this isn't about winning. Competitive without being intimidating.

Obviously, crashes happen and it's a part of racing. And I expect this could potentially attract new racers (you're wholeheartedly invited!), so don't feel bad if you've caused a wreck. Having said that, please do not drive aggressively. That hole that you might just be able to squeeze through? Don't take it. Gone off into the grass a bit? Be careful re-entering. GTplanet has a good racecraft guide here https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-good-racecraft-guide.183891/

If you follow that AND remember this isn't a 'winning is everything' mentality league, you'll be just fine. So join me - let's see those cars gathering dust in your garage. Maybe we'll even see some historic liveries or nice original ones! This idea is still in it's infancy, so suggestions are more than welcome.

So, Sunday morning - 5am ET. At least to start. If there is any interest right away, we can race tomorrow (March 12), and I'll tentatively say 450 pp. I'm Bic44 on PSN. Voice chat is probably the best way to do this, so send a friend request and just put GTplanet on it, I'll gladly accept!
I haven't raced online since early on in GT Sport, but I might give this a try. I'm usually up by that time, so I'll look you up. My PSN is PapaGnr. FR sent.

Last edited:
I haven't raced online since early on in GT Sport, but I might give this a try. I'm usually up by that time, so I'll look you up. My PSN is PapaGnr. FR sent.
Excellent, just heading on to play some snowrunner. I should be on in time tomorrow, but as the other commenter pointed out, it's daylight savings time for a lot of us. But I'll be there!

Great idea, sounds just right for me...and 5am ET is 11am here in Austria, if I got this right, what would be almost perfect for me ;-)

I'll send you a friend invite when I'm logged in next time on my PS...don't think I make it tomorow though...but I am basically very interested

I don't use voice chat, hope it'll work out without one...

Last edited:
Great idea, sounds just right for me...and 5am ET is 11am here in Austria, if I got this right, what would be almost perfect for me ;-)

I'll send you a friend invite when I'm logged in next time on my PS...don't think I make it tomorow though...but I am basically very interested

I don't use voice chat, hope it'll work out without one...
Of course, voice chat is not that important. Whatever you like. I am dealing with a cold, so my speaking will be limited today anyway

Hi, new member here! And a relatively new sim racer on top of that. I'm interested in joining on Sunday mornings if you're still doing that. I'm from Belgium so that should be 10 o'clock in the morning here, which would be ideal!

Hi, new member here! And a relatively new sim racer on top of that. I'm interested in joining on Sunday mornings if you're still doing that. I'm from Belgium so that should be 10 o'clock in the morning here, which would be ideal!
Excellent! My work week got away from me a bit so I haven't been on here to even reply. I'm just working out some details for tomorrow morning now. Hope to see you on the track!

@PapaGnr @erole-attack @Batschisane52 I posted the first Sunday schedule. Hopefully you and some others can make it! If you haven't done so and you have enough room on your friends list, send me a FR (Bic44). I may open this first room up to public, but eventually I'd like to keep it friends only so we don't get someone who gets on there with no accountability and ruins the races

There were only 3 of us for the first race, and two for the remaining races, but it was still fun to drive some of those less common cars around the track. Hope to see some more of you this coming Sunday!

going to try and join one of these! 5am sunday might be a stretch but i might try and hop on after a coffee.

5-8am EST is my favorite time to drive, and i'm usually totally cooked when most leagues are active. if anyones ever looking for early-morning lobby members, drop me a friend request

Hey everyone! I'll post the tracks as soon as I get a chance. If you have a favorite let me know. We're going to do 350 this week, CH tires.

@permaculture - same! Depending on my day, I sometimes don't get home until 6 or 7 and I just don't have it in me to race. I play some chill games like Farming simulator or Cities Skylines because that's all I have energy for

Hey everyone! I'll post the tracks as soon as I get a chance. If you have a favorite let me know. We're going to do 350 this week, CH tires.

@permaculture - same! Depending on my day, I sometimes don't get home until 6 or 7 and I just don't have it in me to race. I play some chill games like Farming simulator or Cities Skylines because that's all I have energy for
amen - Football Manager has pretty much always been my thing when my brain hits its 'intense videogame focus' limit. thats pretty much why i'm not interested in VR as it is - i can get about 30 minutes of concentrated game time in one sitting before i'm called away by some form of Real World obligation.

i sampled a few 350pp cars on the comfort hards - i'm liking the 83 golf or the little honda convertible (S800 maybe?), but theyre still a little unruly on the tire. tried a toned-down firebird but it was having trouble making it uphill lmao.

Alright, I have had no time to get on here, but I'll be hosting a room tomorrow at the usual time. Hope to see everyone there. @permaculture join anytime you like.

350pp, except we'll do a longer race at the end with 400pp. Let's just do comfort mediums. We'll start at Tsukuba and then we'll pick some tracks as we go along. See you on the track!

thanks @Benny44 for hosting the races! i was ill-prepared! first race at tsukuba, the S800 gears were too long / i got wiped out and that Renault ran away from us after lap 1... before race 2 at the forest, i shortened the gears too much and was topping out about 15 mph less than everyone else. third race at watkins short i had it right, the car felt better to drive than the Audi Gr4 there lmao. last race (long, tire wear, etc) was 400pp instead of 350... i wanted to run something different and got caught up switching cars when the race started. looked fun, though!

20970604875283938.jpg
20970818470270181.jpg

20970272561347324.jpg

Attachments

• 20970272561347324.jpg
    20970272561347324.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Great racing everyone! I'm so sorry @permaculture - I was going to try and stop the race and start over, but it said you left. We would've waited! Thank you for sharing the pics as well, I'm a terrible photographer haha

I was ill-prepred too. I'll schedule next week early so there won't be as much confusion

Great racing everyone! I'm so sorry @permaculture - I was going to try and stop the race and start over, but it said you left. We would've waited! Thank you for sharing the pics as well, I'm a terrible photographer haha

I was ill-prepred too. I'll schedule next week early so there won't be as much confusion
its really not your fault! you gave us a time countdown, but i saw another racer hadnt chosen yet so i tried to sneak in a Camaro test. it would be cool to have a little bit more ability to prepare cars, as @PapaGnr had some great picks! i think theres a lot of promise for these classes - i spent time tuning yesterday and the glitchy cars only start disappearing at 450pp or so. 400pp with comfort hards seemed to open up a lot of choices i hadn't considered, like the ghia, and it got me thinking what the best class was for mostly old cars.

going to spend some time, regardless, setting up cars at - 400pp, comfort hard & 450pp, comfort medium

Last edited:
its really not your fault! you gave us a time countdown, but i saw another racer hadnt chosen yet so i tried to sneak in a Camaro test. it would be cool to have a little bit more ability to prepare cars, as @PapaGnr had some great picks! i think theres a lot of promise for these classes - i spent time tuning yesterday and the glitchy cars only start disappearing at 450pp or so. 400pp with comfort hards seemed to open up a lot of choices i hadn't considered, like the ghia, and it got me thinking what the best class was for mostly old cars.

going to spend some time, regardless, setting up cars at - 400pp, comfort hard & 450pp, comfort medium
There are definitely a lot of choices (and we may be getting some more that fit the category this week!). I think the max I'll do is 450, since slow is in the theme of this league. Last week we did 300, and there were a lot of choices. We may go 400 next week, I think that might be fun. But....I was contemplating the last race - the one with fuel consumption and tire wear worries - being all the way down to 250. I think it could be interesting, but I'm open to any feedback.

And if anyone has a favorite track or a suggestion, just let me know!

Great racing guys. :cheers: Great race at the Glen @permaculture. 👍 Thanks for the fun. I totally messed up the last race pit stops. Too busy talking with @Benny44 . Anyone else using a head-set or have one? Makes setting up the races so much easier than trying to type messages. I couldn't even read them fast enough before they were gone.

Last edited:
For any of you looking to make easy credits, use the Honda RA 272. It's low on power but light with excellent fuel mileage.

At Tokyo, use IM and pit halfway for tires only.

At Deep Forest, use RH and pit halfway for tires.

At Le Mans, start on RH & pit for IM or HW (your preference) when rain is nearby.

Edit: the last update changed things & the car is not a winner at Tokyo, not in my hands anyway.

Attachments

• Gran Turismo® 7_20230323144631.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230323144631.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230323074707.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230323074707.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230322194742.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230322194742.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
There are definitely a lot of choices (and we may be getting some more that fit the category this week!). I think the max I'll do is 450, since slow is in the theme of this league. Last week we did 300, and there were a lot of choices. We may go 400 next week, I think that might be fun. But....I was contemplating the last race - the one with fuel consumption and tire wear worries - being all the way down to 250. I think it could be interesting, but I'm open to any feedback.

And if anyone has a favorite track or a suggestion, just let me know!
agree - and hey this is your party anyway! it is interesting to figure out which limits allow for the greatest variety in cars. i'd have to see what i've got at 250pp... you should enjoy Race A this week, running busses uphill!

400pp / comfort hards is pretty versatile. i went through some of my favorite older cars and ended up with 18 (!!!) that meet this standard. i'm sure there are like 50 choices depending on how creative someone gets... the weight/hp scale stays pretty consistent among them. i'll be spending some time between now and next week to see whats usable! using the watkins short track as a testing field, it asks just about everything of the cars.

Last edited:
There are definitely a lot of choices.....
I was contemplating the last race - the one with fuel consumption and tire wear worries - being all the way down to 250.
I've checked my inventory & found a few candidates for 250 PP. The Willys Jeep, VW Bug & Bus & the Fiat 500 F. There's probably more but you have to handicap them too much to get down to 250 PP. Should be interesting tho.

I've checked my inventory & found a few candidates for 250 PP. The Willys Jeep, VW Bug & Bus & the Fiat 500 F. There's probably more but you have to handicap them too much to get down to 250 PP. Should be interesting tho.
Good, I'm glad you're on board. I don't think I'd go any lower, otherwise we'd have to have a track without inclines anywhere

Back