pɐǝɹɥʇ lɐᴉɔᴉɟɟoun ǝɥʇ - ɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀

Word is, nothing has happened in Australia in nearly a year.
They managed to spend most of the year business as usual while the rest of us alternated lockdowns. Unless you are an expat wanting to return home, in which case you are not welcome. The problem with the business as usual situation is that the government didn't bother sourcing vaccines, so now that most of the world is overcoming the delta variant with vaccines Australia is getting smacked with lockdowns.

They managed to spend most of the year business as usual while the rest of us alternated lockdowns. Unless you are an expat wanting to return home, in which case you are not welcome. The problem with the business as usual situation is that the government didn't bother sourcing vaccines, so now that most of the world is overcoming the delta variant with vaccines Australia is getting smacked with lockdowns.
Why don’t they make their own vaccines? Australia is a big place with a lot of smart people and resources.

Why don’t they make their own vaccines? Australia is a big place with a lot of smart people and resources.
Part of their supply problem (relying on AZ and Pfizer right now) is that they did put some expectation on developing one within the country. There was one from the University of Queensland that looked promising initially then fell flat. Canada is just as big, with just as many smart people, and they didn't even try here (initially, there may be some development now).

We actually do manufacture AZ locally, but the locals don’t want it and we’re exporting most of it overseas.

It had an embarrassing roll out that kept changing who was eligible, until only over 60s could get it. Media used the very rare clotting issues to sell papers, and vaccine hesitancy towards AZ is so significant that not even the eligible people want it.

After this wave hit, the prime minister tried to strong arm the health officials to change their safety classification of the vaccine, to safe for everyone, but they refused. So now anyone can get it, if they have a meeting with their doctor to understand the risk.

The risk is 6 people have died from 6 million vaccinations.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Globally, the media coverage of the AZ risks has been terrible - it has been shelved here in Canada, but we have plenty of mRNA vaccines.

It had an embarrassing roll out that kept changing who was eligible, until only over 60s could get it. Media used the very rare clotting issues to sell papers, and vaccine hesitancy towards AZ is so significant that not even the eligible people want it.
I'm booked in to have the first Pfizer shot on the 31st of August. Only reason I'm not having AZ, is due to my heart condition and the advice of the Professer I'm under. Would have been more than happy to have the AZ otherwise though. The hatchet job the media have done on it is ridiculous.

Last edited:
@Spacegoat Not to scare but just in case your doc hasn’t discussed this with you.
It was about a month ago when I emailed him about the vaccine (which shows how absurdly slow the rollout down here has been). But he didn't mention anything about it. Something to look into for sure, even though the risk looks to be very low. Thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it. 👍

What's the Labour leader like?
Seems fine. Never shat himself in an Engadine Maccas, for starters. Also will be remembered forever for telling Peter Dutton to "you siddown, boofhead".

Honestly, he seems like your run-of-the-mill mildly progressive politician.
Fine. He never left the country for a holiday during a crisis.
I'd even bet Albo could hold a hose, if he had to.

Never shat himself in an Engadine Maccas, for starters.
:lol:

engadine-maccas-banned-teen-768x516.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like we're also heading to a Hung Parliment as neither Liberal or Labor won the required 76 seats for a majority government. A lot of losses by the Liberal party were from Independents

This doesn't change too much for Labor though, there's only 15 seats held by other parties so even in Liberal could get them on their side (somehow). They still not have enough and Labor wins a Minority Government anyway currently. Liberal lost so much this election.

Of course Labor might win 4 more seats to finish off a majority government

Last edited:
What are the headlines like in the NewsCorp papers? Any evidence of NewsCope?

Been an Australian citizen for the past two weeks. Those of us at our ceremony, were speaking how we would just miss exercising our new duty. Gotta wait for a local or state election.
Didn't realise that. Welcome to being apart of our ****show :). It's a great diet alternative to America's and with this election it's likely more of a diet.

Last edited:
Over to you then Albo. Let's see what you can do for this country of ours.

To be honest I'm disappointed but not surprised by the result. That's all I can say.

Last edited:
There's even an outside chance that we actually get a federal anti-corruption commission out of this, one that has powers to investigate corruption and stuff. But that seems like a big step when both of the major parties would probably get absolutely wrecked.

There's even an outside chance that we actually get a federal anti-corruption commission out of this, one that has powers to investigate corruption and stuff. But that seems like a big step when both of the major parties would probably get absolutely wrecked.
We'd probably need at least a 2nd term if Labor has any chance of wanting to pass it or were in a Hung Parliment.

Granted given Liberal might be considering Dutton of all people to be the next opposition leader. Labor entering a 2nd term might not be that hard...

Back