Pacific Rim - By Guillermo del Toro. July 2013.

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 133 comments
This movie was so bad it was good. The acting is awful, but it's a great Kaiju flick. Totally cliche and predictable. Totally del Toro.

Dialogue was unintelligible at times. You could probably kill all the dialogue and just make the actors make noises in their accents and it would convey just as much meaning.

I don't know how they'd make a sequel beyond just new robots and new monsters (but how?) fighting in new ways. Maybe in a volcano instead of Hong Kong bay. Maybe in the desert.

I laughed my ass off at multiple parts of the movie that weren't set up to be jokes. But that's what's great about del Toro. If he did those things on purpose, he's a genius. 3 cheers if you thought Lt. Mr. Kaidonovsky is the Siberian version of Brad (Casio). Hilarious.

This movie was so bad it was good. The acting is awful, but it's a great Kaiju flick. Totally cliche and predictable. Totally del Toro.

Dialogue was unintelligible at times. You could probably kill all the dialogue and just make the actors make noises in their accents and it would convey just as much meaning.

I don't know how they'd make a sequel beyond just new robots and new monsters (but how?) fighting in new ways. Maybe in a volcano instead of Hong Kong bay. Maybe in the desert.

I laughed my ass off at multiple parts of the movie that weren't set up to be jokes. But that's what's great about del Toro. If he did those things on purpose, he's a genius. 3 cheers if you thought Lt. Mr. Kaidonovsky is the Siberian version of Brad (Casio). Hilarious.

Lol, awesome. Now I want to go watch it even more :lol: and I demand a pic of Casio, just to see if 'tis true!

LkNQzLf.jpg

OK, maybe not Brad. But the hair was so ridiculous that I laughed whenever he was on screen.

Re: Crimson Typhoon. What a stupid robot design. It only has three arms. One triplet for each arm:

wmlLCyW.jpg

That led me to wonder: Which one controls the third leg? And then I burst out with laughter in an otherwise silent, decidedly non-comical part of the film. People probably thought I was nuts.

Anyway, you'd think that two of the twins would have leg and arm duties, while the other one would separately control an extra PAIR of arms, but, you know, that would make way too much sense. They could've been Char Siu Goro. Also, might as well have made the one without leg duties a paraplegic. Maybe he tried to drift with Crimson Typhoon alone while it was still under construction. The Chinese government was still waiting for the Americans to finish Gypsy Danger so they could copy its legs. Hence, when Bro #3 interfaced with the incomplete Jaegar, he forgot how to use his legs since the robot didn't yet have any. SEE? I just came up with an awesome backstory within minutes! There's so much that could've been done to make it better.

Last edited:
LkNQzLf.jpg

OK, maybe not Brad. But the hair was so ridiculous that I laughed whenever he was on screen.
There's a reason for the stupid hair: he and his wife don't actually have any dialogue. Mrs. Kaidanovsky does speak when their Jaeger is fighting off the coast of Hong Kong, but her face is obscured by a mask. The platinum-blond hair is so that the audience can identify them as the Russian pilots when they are in a room full of people.

Re: Crimson Typhoon. What a stupid robot design. It only has three arms. One triplet for each arm:

wmlLCyW.jpg

Anyway, you'd think that two of the twins would have leg and arm duties, while the other one would separately control an extra PAIR of arms, but, you know, that would make way too much sense. They could've been Char Siu Goro. Also, might as well have made the one without leg duties a paraplegic. Maybe he tried to drift with Crimson Typhoon alone while it was still under construction. The Chinese government was still waiting for the Americans to finish Gypsy Danger so they could copy its legs. Hence, when Bro #3 interfaced with the incomplete Jaegar, he forgot how to use his legs since the robot didn't yet have any. SEE? I just came up with an awesome backstory within minutes! There's so much that could've been done to make it better.
Yes, but that would mean that there is less time for Charlie Hunman to not act.

I just assumed that the third triplet controlled one arm and a secondary weapons system that could function independently of the others to give them more options in battle. Maybe he controlled the torso, since Crimson Typhoon pivots in mid-air over one of the kaiju.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, I know that's the reason for the silly hair. But I was just tickled at how far they went to make them stand out.

I can't believe humanity spent all of its money and time building giant robots to punch giant monsters to death. What about a giant-frickin-laser beam? Surely that would do the trick.

Because it would be less awesome. On a more scientific note, any giant frickin' laser beam would probably have to be orbital. However, the kaiju move pretty quickly. By the time the giant frickin' laser beam was charged and ready to fire, the kaiju could have moved on and the giant frickin' laser beam would have to be repositioned.

The more immediate plot hole that needs to be addressed is why Stacker Pentecost didn't eject the Australian kid from their Jaeger before detonating the warhead. It had already been established that he was capable of piloting the Jaeger on his own, and while doing so would kill him almost straight away, the only thing he would have to do is arm the bomb. Hell, it could have been triggered remotely from the Hong Kong base. The Australian kid didn't have to die, and it seemed pretty cruel to kill him off with his father listening on.

Some screens :

9272252001_491ab37de8_b_d.jpg

9272419629_7184e4b0a5_b_d.jpg

9272419677_a703f26846_b_d.jpg

9272252059_e17b3a184b_b_d.jpg

9272252123_f3a55b169e_b_d.jpg

9272419721_52444ed5e0_b_d.jpg

9272251945_5ed79884a0_b_d.jpg

9272251965_7c4f3e0e63_b_d.jpg

9272419569_4af66b8bfa_b_d.jpg

9272252085_a20ce477c5_b_d.jpg

9272419751_bf552a8583_b_d.jpg

EDIT : Just been told by my friend who already watched it, stay for the end credits, there are more scenes :)

Last edited:
I think a prequel could very well be made too. I wanna see the very beginning of the Kaiju attack. More backstory!
I think prequels are generally bad ideas, because no matter what happens, there is a status quo that has to be met by the end of the film. Events have to play out in such a way that all of the characters are in a pre-determined position for the beginning of the next film. The ending is a foregone conclusion, so there is no risk of sense of danger involved.

Del Toro has commented on the angle he'd go for if a sequel happens:
Newt drfits with a kaiju. Because the kaiju have a hive mind, they're all connected, so del Toro thinks it's the best avenue to explore.
Although he deserves a lot of credit for the way he handles it in the film. By the end of the film, it's a plot thread that has been completely closed off. It doesn't assume a sequel will be made, so it doesn't leave the issue unresolved. But if a sequel is made, there is something to work with instead of studio executives saying "well, this film made a lot of money, so let's make a sequel" when a sequel is unnecessary.

Absolutely enjoyed the film. Amongst any scripting, or acting issues I could point out, It was a very fun film.

Lovely special effects. Giants duking it out. The whole theater was having so much fun.

Sometimes you just have to take a step back, realize no movie is ever going to be perfect, and enjoy it for what it was. And with that, Del Toro IMO succeeded.

I meant the classic Japanese Kaiju movie - man in rubber suit and miniature props - given a million dollar budget production and CGI equals a dream come true. :drool:

Is it extra expensive on opening night? Did you watch it in IMAX 3DDD? Or are movie tickets priced that way in Australia? :scared:
My ticket only cost me 9 bucks local, that's 3.08 AUD

Anyway, gonna watch it again tomorrow. Reason being I took a couple of toilet breaks in between and missed some parts. Also partly because I just want to watch it again. :D

Lol yes I think I was corrected by Furinkazen earlier. I read an NZ Herald article that says Del Toro wanted to make this movie since he was 8 years old and after 40 years his skills as well as modern technology have finally advanced enough to let him do so. There might be promotional speak in that but it's nice to hear more stories similar to Peter Jackson and James Cameron with their 21st Century blockbusters 👍

As for the $19 AUS price tag...🤬!!! I watched 2 movies during my stay in Melbourne and I'm pretty sure Pacific Rim in 2D was more expensive than World War Z in 3D. Movie prices here in New Zealand I think are still higher than most other places around the world but opening day in Oz seemed to really take the cake. In any case I hope this movie does well on the global box office because I'd rather see a Del Toro action film heavy in CGI instead of another Michael Bay one.

While some parts were a bit silly and the nerd in me kept pointing out design flaws with the Jaegers and such, the movie as a whole was so much fun. Soundtrack also kicked ass.

Just watched it last night. Me and my friend had loads of fun watching it. It was just....exactly the right kind of over the top, for me.

The clicker thing on the desk in the office building was probably the greatest thing ever. The most inconsequential detail in any movie to ever get that much focus that I can think of.

Ignoring the ropy dialogue, uninspired and extremely predictable script, watching this was a lot of fun. So much was going on that I half expected it to end just after the fighting in Hong Kong, but the action maintained for another 45 minutes. (wasn't aware of the 132 minute running time).

In the end though, I thought it was great visual spectacle complimented by an awesome soundtrack.

The ending pretty much xeroxed ID4, minus Jeff Goldblum... and URF! But at least I can take comfort in the fact that a this time, a Jaeger Bomb literally saved mankind.

Also, Raleigh's "pissed off" face during his scuffle with Chuck. WTF? :lol:

Last edited:
Has anyone watched this on IMAX 3D?

I rewatched it the other night with my brother and a friend in standard 3D (RealD or whatever it's called?) and it felt like something was missing by not watching it on an IMAX screen.

^ Caught this last night in IMAX 3D. It was the last showing before the Lone Ranger replaces it. And I'm so glad I did!

Like others have said, the acting is a bit questionable at points and a predictable storyline, but the action sequences and special effects were incredible. I was at the edge of my seat with every fight and the CGI just looked top notch. Can't wait to get the Blu Ray of this movie and check it at home :D

Last edited:
Has anyone watched this on IMAX 3D?

I was on a vacation trip for almost the entire duration of the showing time of the movie here in Mexico city, so when I came back I tried finding it in regular movie theaters to no avail, the only showing I could find with subtitles (I did find it in normal movie thraters, but spanish dubbed, which sucks balls) was in IMAX 3D, so the movie was the first time my wife and I watched a movie in IMAX 3D, and it was pretty amazing. The movie was a lot of fun, too.

Just finished this one, brilliant fun it was.Acting was Meh (some decent cameos thrown in there)and my god the effects and the fighting scenes :drool:

Will no doubt watch it again soon.

Wasn't aware this movie had its own thread. This is my response from the "what movies have you seen lately" thread.

I watched this in 3d at home. Some bad acting but the CGI was quite impressive especially in 3D. For what it was, the movie wasn't too bad. The excellent CGI helped a lot. I would watch this again for sure. A lot better than I expected.

Stateside earnings weren't great but it smashed the box office in China. However it is only being written, Del Toro has stressed he isn't the one why will give the project the ultimate relearn date.

Speaking of which, anyone know the UK DVD release?

Del Toro has confirmed Pacific Rim 2 is being written by the way.

I thought many of us knew that a sequel was likely months ago. The only person I've heard state that it wasn't set to get a sequel was DC Pierson, but what does he know?

At least confirmation from Del Toro will put paid to those rumours.

Speaking of which, anyone know the UK DVD release?

Monday November 11th according to most sites I've checked. One other site is saying November 25th though.

Back