PAL mission 34 too easy

Recently i came back to mission 34 after completing the game to have another crack at it (first time i cut across the grass etc) and found i beat it easily, after a few more tries i passed the 300SL at the beginning of the long final straight and completed the mission in a time of 9'02''. I just wondered if this was good enough to beat the American version which i know is more difficult.

I realise there is a long thread on this mission but it is fairly gargantuan and i found it very difficult to find the information i was looking for as the conversation in that thread is pretty nebulous.

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

The consensus is that about 12 seconds in PAL would beat North America's mission.

The PAL start wait is 8 seconds less and the NA 300SL is about 4 seconds quicker.

Mods: sorry for the stupidity of hitting the Report button for my attempted reply. :dunce:

Thanks very much for that, so going by this i would beat the north american edition by about 3 seconds looking at how quickly i drive it now. I might wait an extra 12 seconds at the beginning and then start to try to see how close it is.

Actually you would have to wait another 4 seconds ontop of your 12, due to the fact that the 300SL is 4 seconds quicker as wfooshee said. Nicely said man. 👍

Except that wfooshee said that the NTSC wait before starting is eight seconds longer, not twelve - the twelve seconds TVR_Sagaris mentioned is the extra wait plus the four seconds lost by the PAL 300SL. :)

DE

The other factor, besides total time, might be where you catch the other cars. In ours, the first pass is the short straight before the Karussell. If you catch the cars at different points, like entering a turn instead of down a straight, it would affect your overall lap.

That would be a question for the mission thread, I think. I can't recall if that kind of comparison has actually come up. Just the time difference. I don't know if anybody PAL has actually waited 12 extra seconds and run it.

Except that wfooshee said that the NTSC wait before starting is eight seconds longer, not twelve - the twelve seconds TVR_Sagaris mentioned is the extra wait plus the four seconds lost by the PAL 300SL. :)

DE
Oops I misread it.

The other factor, besides total time, might be where you catch the other cars. In ours, the first pass is the short straight before the Karussell. If you catch the cars at different points, like entering a turn instead of down a straight, it would affect your overall lap.

That would be a question for the mission thread, I think. I can't recall if that kind of comparison has actually come up. Just the time difference. I don't know if anybody PAL has actually waited 12 extra seconds and run it.
That is the only mission I have left. I am not good at the track yet to fully do it.

To address the question of where one passes the cars; if i start when the clock gets to nought (PAL) then i catch the SL65 AMG at Berwerk, whereas if i wait for the extra 12 seconds after the clock hits nought then i pass it at the Karrussel, so it seems to mirror the NTSC version nicely.

Uncanny! That beats the lead Mercedes even across the pond! The lap time for the Gullwing here is 9m 13s, and you completed the course in 9m 2s?

Guess it is too easy, then...

Out of curiosity, what tire compound does the PAL SLR McLaren use for Mission 34?

Passing opposing cars in turns can be a serious impediment. There might be places where you can only pass by going on grass. Or passing on the outside of a turn while trying to go faster to pass. I don't think you can make a perfect matchup between both versions. Still there is no need to. You can either win or you can't. The NTSC version is not impossible to win so it doesn't matter.

I think a 9 minutes and 2 seconds run for the NTSC version might be possible if you used every grasscut and wallride cheat there is. I'm gonna try it. There is one wallride section I was never able to do properly, though. I believe there is about six or seven possible course cheats.

Although I've never driven the PAL version Mission 34 McClaren, it does look to have better traction and a stiffer suspension. Probably a lot easier to control on some sections with big dips before curves.

I don't mean to underestimate NTSC players, but even if the PAL version is somewhat easier it is NOT considered easy for me...the waiting is still painful and it needs a pretty decent driver to complete this mission.

Of course, the NTSC one needs an EXCELLENT driver to complete :P

The North American version was pretty easy as well. The wait was horrible though.

Maybe for you. But it is doable by a average driver like me. About the post above that an NTSC 9'02 would be pretty easy with the shortcuts. I know of many drivers that I think could do it easily. I used them and ran a 9'12.xxx and there are a ton of drivers who are much faster around the Ring by more than a mere 10 secs. That's only a second a mile.

9'02 would definitely beat the NTSC version, as it would translate to 9'10, so you would still have beaten the NTSC car by around 2 - 3 seconds.

I have a PlayStation 2, and i have Gran Turismo 4 like 5 times, I'm not sure if its NTSC-U,
NTSC or PAL. The best ive gotten on mission 34 is about 23secs behind the 300SL. its almost impossible for my 11 year old self.

Got the game again, this time a PAL version.

There's 3 main differences between PAL and NTSC versions for Mission 34:

1. Wait in NTSC is 8 seconds longer (123 vs 115 on PAL).
2. The NTSC 300 SL for some reason, is 4 seconds quicker. NTSC does about 9:12 (sometimes 9:13) while the PAL 300 SL does about 9:16.
3. The SLR in the NTSC is considerably easier to drive. The PAL version SLR has way too much oversteer, it's very noticeable when the car goes through high speed sections where the road is very bumpy.

I remember a few years ago doing the NTSC version and overtook the 300 SL just before the finish line, after a ridiculous amount of effort and time, and tries.
I eventually sold the game and the console I bought from ebay but after buying an avermedia capture card recently, I want to "post" my achievements for completing hard level missions in games, this Driving Mission 34 being one of them (as well as the Vettel challenges in GT5). However I'm from Europe and going through the wait and extra taxes of buying a console from the US just isn't worth it, plus the games are easier to get in PAL.
So what I was planning to do is finish the Mission 34 in the PAL version of the game I got, but to make it more of a challenge, I am trying to also beat the NTSC version at the same time, which means I have to be 8 seconds quicker (the 8 seconds I don't wait in the PAL version) than the 9:12 time of the NTSC 300 SL. So the time I have to do is 9:04 or less... With a DUALSCHOK 2 controller...
Needless to say it's been a pain so far. I can't do any better than 9:08 and I always do 1 or 2 big mistakes in the lap like going wide into the grass and losing time, as well as losing time overtaking the SL500 and the 190E.
The SLR in the PAL is almost undrivable.

I'll post here the video when I'm done with it.

EDIT: Here:

I've done low 9:05s but they weren't as clean. This car is a handful.

Last edited:
Recently got back to this game and been playing on and off, golded every license test and did every mission, even went ahead and tried NTSC-J and PAL for the regional differences like some tests and Mission 34 in PAL.

Gotta say, PAL is a lot easier, not only because you got a huge time advantage over NTSC-J NTSC-U/C, which both are the same, PAL has way easier overtaking zones, NTSC versions of the game have a very short gap or straights to perform a clean overtake with no time loss, PAL doesn't have this problem.

About the physics being different, not really, they were consistent between the three versions and unless the PAL version has different tuning and tires for mission 34, it's really the same, the car handles the same, what everyone keeps saying about the bumpy roads happens on all three, where sometimes a curb will decide to send you off track for no reason.

About the license tests that are different between versions, regarding times and cars, they're really not that big of a deal, if you can gold NTSC-U/C you can gold NTSC-J and PAL without any problems, they're not really hard to be honest.

I think PAL may be the easiest of the bunch, and sadly the only one without 1080i support and some line-ups being easier if you compare the very first one you get in certain races with the same car and the same setup, some races had around 20-30 a-spec points difference, while on PAL you could get away with sport tires, NTSC you nad to use N1s N2s or N3s to get the same amount of a-spec points (200) rendering some 200 a-spec point car / setup strategies that work on PAL, useless in NTSC.

NTSC is just a pain in the rear, didn't think it would take me so many tries, like 30 i'd say, it's ridiculous, and that's barely making it, on PAL you can easily overtake the 300SL on the last straight or even on the last turn before the straight.

20201015_122742.jpg

20201015_123504.jpg

Recently got back to this game and been playing on and off, golded every license test and did every mission, even went ahead and tried NTSC-J and PAL for the regional differences like some tests and Mission 34 in PAL.

Gotta say, PAL is a lot easier, not only because you got a huge time advantage over NTSC-J NTSC-U/C, which both are the same, PAL has way easier overtaking zones, NTSC versions of the game have a very short gap or straights to perform a clean overtake with no time loss, PAL doesn't have this problem.

About the physics being different, not really, they were consistent between the three versions and unless the PAL version has different tuning and tires for mission 34, it's really the same, the car handles the same, what everyone keeps saying about the bumpy roads happens on all three, where sometimes a curb will decide to send you off track for no reason.

About the license tests that are different between versions, regarding times and cars, they're really not that big of a deal, if you can gold NTSC-U/C you can gold NTSC-J and PAL without any problems, they're not really hard to be honest.

I think PAL may be the easiest of the bunch, and sadly the only one without 1080i support and some line-ups being easier if you compare the very first one you get in certain races with the same car and the same setup, some races had around 20-30 a-spec points difference, while on PAL you could get away with sport tires, NTSC you nad to use N1s N2s or N3s to get the same amount of a-spec points (200) rendering some 200 a-spec point car / setup strategies that work on PAL, useless in NTSC.

NTSC is just a pain in the rear, didn't think it would take me so many tries, like 30 i'd say, it's ridiculous, and that's barely making it, on PAL you can easily overtake the 300SL on the last straight or even on the last turn before the straight.

20201015_122742.jpg

20201015_123504.jpg

It is my understanding that although the NTSC Mission 34 is much harder than the PAL version, the NTSC version of Mission 11 is a good bit easier than the PAL version. Did you find that to be the case?

I guess we can define sports tires as "a fish out of water" from now on :lol:
I beat this mission and I have the PAL version but no way do I think it is easy.

I’m doing this mission on the (EU) version (idk if that is pal or not but the wait time is 122 seconds) but here is the catch I’m on a mobile emulator with touchscreen controls and so far my best time is/was 9:26.323 even with short cuts and wall gliding the only part I have difficulty with is the jump at the first small straight and the downhill zigzags with the sand around the track and the first car that causes me 5 second penalty

Attachments

• 7050BA51-7E84-4326-9657-1475BEC6C674.jpeg
    7050BA51-7E84-4326-9657-1475BEC6C674.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back