Passage to Colloseo: The Write up

• Thread starter Gil
  • 55 comments

Gil

Bird man
Premium
old-guy64
Let me preface by saying that I have beaten this enduro in the Spoon S2000 Race Car Fully modded with 271 HP. For this attempt I chose something a little more unorthodox.

My competition:
TVR Griffith 500
Renault Clio
BMW 328
Peugot 206
Alfa Romeo 156 2.5
Because I was going the low power route I decided to qualify. I ran 1:36.xxx and qualified in third, behind the TVR and the Renault.
During the course of the race the TVR and Renault ran off and left me but could not get more than 5 seconds ahead. Luckily for me, the TVR pitted in on lap 5, The Renault on lap 6.
At that point I was able to pull ahead, and never lost the lead.
I pitted on laps 12, 25, 38, 50, and 63.
I was threatened by the Griffith on lap 40. It actually tapped me on the rear bumper and nearly passed me. I was able to retain the lead and the TVR pitted at the end of the lap. And I gained about 15 seconds that I had lost when I pitted on lap 38.
I lapped the slowest car, the Alfa 156 on lap 16. I ran my best lap, 1:34.825 on lap 45.
The results in reverse order, because I want to suprise you with the identity of my car.
with 69 laps completed: The Alfa 156
With 70 laps completed: THE Peugot 206
With 71 laps competed: The BMW 328
With 73 laps and a time of 120'43.276: The Renault Clio
With 73 laps and a time of 120'35.360: The TVR Griffith 500.
Your winner with 73 laps completed and a time of 120'23.668:
The Toyota MR-S modded to max HP with T3 tires.

The MR-S? Seriously?

Dang, that is pretty impressive! My experiences with that car were less than pleasant, so it's a bit of a surprise to me that is can even keep pace with a Griffith and Clio Sport, much less beat them!

May I suggest trying a front-wheel drive car for the next go around... you know, just to see if it can be done? :)

I am a glutton for punishment. Front driver, huh? I was thinking of the Acura CL. But that may be too stupid.:lol:

Hmmmm, a front driver...Of course the Xsara is out. I have a couple of ideas. Especially if I get lucky and the Griffith and Clio Stay home.:lol:
I THINK it could be done in the Integra Type-R with no problem.
I wonder if the LUPO would "pull the frieght"?
It only has 200-some HP fully tricked out....
I think the TRD Celica and the Mitsu FTO may also be up to the task. Basically, if you can run consistent 1:36's and pit every 12-14 laps you'll win.

Oh, the two things that I forgot to mention in the original post:
I won the Lancia Delta Rally car. I'll use it to clean up the rally portion. And, that this is the first enduro I've run and not found myself falling asleep. I guess with the competition running so close, it was a bit of an adrenaline boost.
NO WAY am I gonna run two hours, and lose because I broke concentration.:lol:

Originally posted by ving
do it in tha fiat ;)

well done dood :)
Why did I know that you'd suggest the Fiat?
:lol::lol::lol:

Tell you what...I'll run this again between now and Tuesday in some FF car. I'm leaning toward the ITR or the FTO. But I may go crazy and run in the Civic Type-R. You run in the Fiat and we'll compare times. (number of laps, best lap, that sort of stuff)
Nothing like a little competition to "sweeten" things up a bit.

I've run a few FF's to see if they would "pull the freight"
The best so far is the VW Lupo modded out to 252HP.
I may have to go over 300 HP to win with any of the others.
Unless the Griffith stays home.
I'm still about a second down on the Clio. But that's with the tires in the blue/green. I think that I can beat it on pit strategy. I also have to learn to compensate for the "early Porsche" type handling you get with FF cars.
I have figured out how to put them into a shallow slide/drift.
The problem is, when you get back on the gas, the car goes where it's nose is pointed, not in the direction the front wheels are pointed.:lol:
If you "lift" halfway thru the corner, you stand a good chance of spinning out the dumb thing.
The Lupo seems to be pretty well behaved, as does the FTO.
I have given this a shot in a 250HP Acura RSX. It will definitely need more power.:lol:

Nice write-up Gil. I know what that the competition certainly puts a bit more pressure on you to run clean. I'm in the midst of a similar run at the moment. Unfortunately, we're running low powered JGTC cars in the longest enduro. Nothing like trying to shave 1 minute off of a 2hour 40 minute race...

I'm quite impressed that the MR-s was able to compete. Nice run! Looking forward to seeing the results from the FF run.

AO

Hey, Gil, I don't remember if this is your first writeup or not, but it's a good one! Good racing and good writing and good car choice. Let's hear more!

AS soon as the kids get of the PS2 (They're playing Baldur's Gate).
I'll do some more testing. Then I'll run it in one of the Front drivers.
Sorry Ving, Prolly NOT the Fiat.

Originally posted by UB57
GREAT Write-Up Gil: 👍
:D AM a little "Bored" w/current OLRs, can I get a FF ride & join this thing???...UB57
:D
Go 'head on wif yo' bad self Uncle Bob.:lol:
I'm currently taking a break from running it in the CTR (Civic Type R). It's up to 290+ Hp with T2's and am just smoking the competition. I thought about running the Lupo. Now I'm beginning to wish I had.
The Griffith didn't show, but the Clio did.
As it is pitting every 6 and I'm pitting every 18, my lead grows a bit every 6th lap.
I'm about an hour in and have lapped the slowest car twice. (guess which one it is Ving?)
I probably could have run this with ease, and closer competition with t3's in front and t4's in back, and lower HP.
I'm stayin' in now for the Prize car and the cash.:lol:
My competition:
BMW 328 ci
Peugot 206 S16
Audi S4
Renault Clio Sport V-6
Fiat Turbo Coupe Plus.
My qual lap was 1'36.429. Putting me behind the Renault at 1'35.349.
The other cars were 4 to 8 seconds behind, and fell further back when the race started.
With my 14,000rpm redline I took first out of the hole, but lost it when I went wide into the first turn in lap 2. It took til lap 6, when the Clio pitted, for me to regain the lead.
I am currently on my second pit stop. The Clio will be pulling in behind me in about 45 seconds for its sixth.
I figure that if I don't make any glaring errors, or fall asleep I should be a bit over a lap ahead at the end of this thing. Finishing on lap 72 or 73.

Thus far my best lap is 1'34.279. achieved on lap 29.
Update to follow.

THANX Gil: 👍
:D I'm in the pits on Lap 36 @ 59'15.xxx in The MYSTERY FF!!! Best lap: 1'35.480 w/less than 300 HP & T2/T3 tyre combo. Drew the same comp as you, so only the Clio is any fun to dice with...UB57

Okay,
The massacree has ended.
I predicted correctly. I won over a lap ahead of the Clio. It went into the pits on lap 73. I finished on lap 74.
Pitted on 18,36, and 54. Would have pitted on 72 but the Clio was just seconds from being lapped. I couldn't pit until I lapped him or beat him.
Won the F688/s:D
I guess I'll keep it for later.

Bob,
Would you hurry up and finish?!
I wanna know if you used the LUPO:lol:

Hi Gil:
👍 GREAT IDEA!!! Just finished up after a short "Lunch Break."
(DUKE should probably move this part to the appropriate forum if we continue!!!)

"MYSTERY FF "(Me) 74 Laps/121'30.343
Renault Clio Sport V-6......73 Laps
BMW 328 ci.......................71 Laps
Audi S4.............................71 Laps
Peugot 206 S16................70 Laps
Fiat Turbo Coupe Plus.......69 Laps [Sorry Ving!!!]

As usual I just started out to "Test" tyres/Set-up & ended up running the whole thing!!! I didn't realize how poorly the trans was set-up as the last time I "drove" this ride it was w/"Blue" Wheel & AT. The new MOMO & MT gives a lot more control so will tune 'er up a little & try for 75 Laps before revealing the Identity, & NO it's NOT the Lupo...UB57

My guess would be the FTO?

And I've even got some free time tonight to try this out...

AO

Originally posted by Der Alta
My guess would be the FTO?

And I've even got some free time tonight to try this out...

AO

Good Guess AO INCORRECT!!! But a Good Guess nonetheless.
Oil Change + trans "tweak" + T3/T4 tyre combo yielding consistent 1'34s in free run...UB57

I can't get the idea of the Yaris/Vitz 1.5 RS out of my head...it just seems somewhat unrealistic :confused:
I'm guessing the TRD Celica. Or the PT Cruiser :D

HOWDY Gil:
Ran it again this AM w/T3/T4 tyre combo which meant 6 Pit Stops instead of 3. Wheel glitched on final lap just as I was lapping the Clio, figure it cost me about 14 seconds by the time I found the DS2 & "paused" to re-set the wheel. Would have been nice to post a "Sub" 2'01 time. but I'm NOT gonna do it again just for that!!! Don't think I can reach 75 Laps w/"MYSTERY FF.":irked:

"VITZ"(Me) / 121'08.586 / 74 Laps (281 HP @ Finish)
Renault Clio Sport V-6......73 Laps
BMW 328 ci.......................71 Laps
Audi S4.............................71 Laps
Audi TT..............................69 Laps
Fiat Turbo Coupe Plus.......69 Laps [Sorry Again Ving!!!]
...UB57:D

BTW: Good Guess :focus- & WELCOME ABOARD !!!

BTW #2: Have also won Seattle Enduro w/VITZ, what a Gas beatin' all those V8s with a little 4-Banger!!!

Oh yeah, forgot to post:Best Lap (#50) 1'34.387

Back