PDs lack of communication

• Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 46 comments
Germany
Berlin, Germany
bmxmitch1
I know, it never was a strong part from PD or GranTurismo in general. But nowadays, you need to communicate with your players a bit more!

Every other company/game does this. Some very good, some not so good...but at least they do!
GranTurismo though.....ZERO! The only thing we get are some vague posts from Kaz and maintenance news. Pretty bad if you ask me... :rolleyes:

It comes clear (once again) this week, as noone knew when the update arrives and what exactly it contains. Let alone what the next weeks/month will bring!? 50 cars till March? 500 cars in total over a few years? Who knows...
If I do this kind of communication and time schedule at work, my Boss would kick me after a few weeks/month :scared::lol:

For a game this big, there needs to be some kind of guidepost IMO!
Just hire a community manager! Or at least a projekt manager who keeps track of the schedule. I have the feeling they're all just working away of themselfs (if thats the right term for "lounge around / chilling") :P

Or am I just used to have these strict time schedules as German!? :confused::lol:

I disagree in general... Look at the pre-christmas update - there was loads of news, a PS blog post, a trailer. All sorts of stuff.

This update has been a bit random and choppy, but on the whole recent things from PD have been a vast improvement over what they had before. Perhaps that's just my 2 cents and everyone else disagrees with me, but I don't think PD have been as bad as they have in the past - or compared to other devs these days.

I kind of like the element of surprise and mystery behind the updates... that way, when you get some new cars or tracks, it will bring far more joy than if you would know all the upcoming cars and tracks.
The teaser Kaz posted in his Twitter about the new cars is even a bit too much, I'd say, because you could guess most of the cars.
PD already gave us a good racing game and everything else that is coming is extra and I like mine with a little surprise :)

I’m in two minds.

I think GTSport, as it’s being presented as an evolving service, needs weekly updates/blog posts etc and someone to at least say that they are listening to the community.

On the other hand the stuff Kaz specifically said regarding what GTSport is/was going to be, only lead to confusion, mixed messages and customers being disappointed.

I wonder how many people would wait before purchase, if a company was completely transparent with ongoing issues and set out a schedule for updates, acknowledged bugs etc.

I don't mind being in the dark, if PD said no new tracks till July 2018, how many people would go to another game in the meantime and then not come back to GTS.

I wonder how many people would wait before purchase, if a company was completely transparent with ongoing issues and set out a schedule for updates, acknowledged bugs etc.

I don't mind being in the dark, if PD said no new tracks till July 2018, how many people would go to another game in the meantime and then not come back to GTS.
yeah but cannot they do it now anyway? :D

I disagree in general... Look at the pre-christmas update - there was loads of news, a PS blog post, a trailer. All sorts of stuff.

This update has been a bit random and choppy, but on the whole recent things from PD have been a vast improvement over what they had before. Perhaps that's just my 2 cents and everyone else disagrees with me, but I don't think PD have been as bad as they have in the past - or compared to other devs these days.

You're right, the christmas update was pretty good! Especially the GT League implementation fans were asking for.
But its far more than just "DLC" updates. What I'm hoping for is information what will change the GAME! Such as BOP updates, FIA updates, Daily races and more. Which direction will they go? What are the plans!?
Just small updates on how the roadmap will look like would be great.

IMO, responses to bugs and glitches are much more important than new cars and tracks at the moment.

Exactly :cheers:

You're right, the christmas update was pretty good! Especially the GT League implementation fans were asking for.
But its far more than just "DLC" updates. What I'm hoping for is information what will change the GAME! Such as BOP updates, FIA updates, Daily races and more. Which direction will they go? What are the plans!?
Just small updates on how the roadmap will look like would be great.

Yeah we only know they plan to run the 1st FIA season on April 2018.

PD was hiring a community manager (or at least they had the position opened) last year. I sent the job offer to the GTPlanet staff in case they would be interested.

But since then, we've seen absolutely nothing that would lead us to think there's actually someone in charge of building a relationship with the community.

The thing that bugs me the most with PDs announcements is that we still have a hugely filled thread with undocumented changes for every single update. I do love these threads but they shouldn‘t exist in the first place tbh.
I‘d also like PD to interact a little more with us tho :)

I do wonder this myself, do you think PD ever go on here to see feedback and ways to improve? If theres no real way of getting in touch with them, how do they know what us (the consumer) wants?

The problem with companies interacting, is when they get a topic they don't want to interact on, setting schedules and missing them would make them look bad too.

I disagree. The lack of communication and those mysterious posts make all of us speculating in everyway. That's exactly what PD wants.

Source? Because people would always talk about updates and DLCs regardless of the existence of official patch notes or not.

Kaz tweeting about DLC or future content updates makes me think about one of the product managers I worked with who, in the absence of a community manager (or even with a CM on his team) would simply take things into his hands and ignore the CM because he thought he knew better what the community wanted. Of course every time he tried something, with the small exception of a tweet here and there with the info of server maintenance during weekends, everything he did was piss off the community even more. He was then forbidden - by the studio head - to do anything without first talking to our team (I was part of the CM team).

I don't know what could possibily be worse for PD in having a CM, even if a conservative one, who would only take a few questions per month/week and give answers to important topics (updates, bugs, etc).

Last edited:
Source? Because people would always talk about updates and DLCs regardless of the existence of official patch notes or not.

Nothing can proove it but it could be a communication choice. Let the players imagine what it could be, let them dream about what they really want, make them keep interest of the game. And I think it works well !

Nothing can proove it but it could be a communication choice. Let the players imagine what it could be, let them dream about what they really want, make them keep interest of the game. And I think it works well !

From the tones of examples from other AAA games and personal experience, having a closer relationship with any gaming community doesn't take away any of those things - interest / dreams.

Not having that relationship, on the other hand, leads to a lot of misunderstandings and frustration.

I don't believe there isn't a good enough CM in the world that couldn't do a decent job for PD.

From the tones of examples from other AAA games and personal experience, having a closer relationship with any gaming community doesn't take away any of those things - interest / dreams.

Not having that relationship, on the other hand, leads to a lot of misunderstandings and frustration.

Which is the problem Destiny 2 is having now

I know, it never was a strong part from PD or GranTurismo in general. But nowadays, you need to communicate with your players a bit more!

Every other company/game does this. Some very good, some not so good...but at least they do!
GranTurismo though.....ZERO! The only thing we get are some vague posts from Kaz and maintenance news. Pretty bad if you ask me... :rolleyes:

It comes clear (once again) this week, as noone knew when the update arrives and what exactly it contains. Let alone what the next weeks/month will bring!? 50 cars till March? 500 cars in total over a few years? Who knows...
If I do this kind of communication and time schedule at work, my Boss would kick me after a few weeks/month :scared::lol:

For a game this big, there needs to be some kind of guidepost IMO!
Just hire a community manager! Or at least a projekt manager who keeps track of the schedule. I have the feeling they're all just working away of themselfs (if thats the right term for "lounge around / chilling") :P

Or am I just used to have these strict time schedules as German!? :confused::lol:

There are actually people saying PD doesn't have a communication problem and everything is fine :banghead::lol:

For me personally it's non-issue. We get what we get when we get it, and it is what it is. In this case, nothing is changed by prior knowledge except opinion, which what this is really all about. It's a social media world, and everybody wants the chance to share and shape opinions. How dare Kaz and PD deny them the opportunity by withholding information?

Mystery brings excitement just as much as information does, but people with no patience can't stand mystery.

I don't think Kaz gives a crap about what we think or say. It's not easy picking the needle of legit complaints out of the haystack of epic whining, and he comes from a time when entire games were developed without one gram of input from the consumer, and they sold and worked just fine. Why should he change because consumers have become entitled, and need to know what the developer is up to? Because the competition does it? Yeah, right.

Remember when GT5 or 6 was delayed because the internet freaked out and needed damage implementation? No? I do, and still think the whole thing was stupid. I bet Kaz and PD didn't forget it either. Taking consumer input seriously probably ended then and there, in my opinion.

I'm sure PD can find a better balance between silence and information, but I will be surprised if that happens.

Imagine the scenario...

PD puts out a statement saying what cars and tracks are coming in what order on such and such a date

Internet goes wild,
51% happy, 5% of them goes online to say well done PD, we are looking forward to it.
49% unhappy, 45% of them go online to say it's a load of crap, they want a different track or a different car.

Internet history has 40% swing of unhappy people and PD is crap and doesn't care about anyone or anything.

Remember when GT5 or 6 was delayed because the internet freaked out and needed damage implementation? No?

No, I don't, because unless you have proof either was delayed for that specific reason, it didn't happen. :)

GT5 was delayed due to missing its gold-copy submission date (and Sony having to re-jig Blu-Ray production to fit it in). GT6 is, to the best of my knowledge, the only GT game that hasn't been delayed outside of the first game.

I've seen interviews on sites that's got kaz on it saying they have listened to players about GT sport but the only people they have listened to are controller users and people who want photo shop

I've seen interviews on sites that's got kaz on it saying they have listened to players about GT sport but the only people they have listened to are controller users and people who want photo shop

Listening to players and reacting to what they hear from the players are two entirely different conversations.

If you are on the side that what you wished for was later included then PD is awesome and gives the players what they want.

If you are on the side that their wants have not been addressed then PD sucks and does not listen to their players.

Pd can very well listen to all presented but then they are free to make choices in what to or not address within the game.

As gamer's we get the changes they choose to make to the game in the end, nothing more, nothing less.

Curious, is there an existing game that does do a good job at communication?

Sledgehammer Games, the developer of the latest Call of Duty, has been releasing a lot of tweets about upcoming DLC, bug fixes, weapon balancing etc, and perhaps people see developers such as EA's Dice (Battlefield, Starwars game) who are pretty good at interacting with and listening to their players; but notice how these are all fps games, it's comparing apples to oranges.

You can increase a weapon's fire rate or hip spread by tweaking a tunable cloud value, map changes are simple too.
I'm not sure which bugs in GT S you're specifically referring to but I'm quite certain they won't be as simple to fix.

I see no harm in hiring a competent CM though.

Back