Performante In Flagrante as Lamborghini Burns in Gas Station Accident

Luckily a supercar enthusiast bystander caught the whole scene on camera (although in portrait mode; come on people, it’s 2018).

One of the truest things ever written on the internet.

How the hell do you forget that you've just filled your car with fuel? Something I've never understood. Do these people not check their mirrors either? I imagine a bloody big fuel filler nozzle and hose is fairly easy to see.

My family has 2 stations in Jacksonville all pumps are required by fed and state law to have a breakaway device.

In fact it's the first thing weights/measurements/safety inspects when they arrive.

If the pump is off no fuel can escape even if the hose breaks away at the top end, so we can assume it was an older latch over style that doesn't disable the pump when the handle releases.

It's happend at least 4 times that I can remember, once, twice in one day.
Drunk, high, or in a hurry stupid happens every minute of everyday across the world.

As Famine said, the insurance company will have many questions.

How the hell do you forget that you've just filled your car with fuel? Something I've never understood. Do these people not check their mirrors either? I imagine a bloody big fuel filler nozzle and hose is fairly easy to see.
We were just talking about the story in the office. Admittedly, it seems almost impossible that someone could do it — but then, remember that a handful of people every year literally forget their newborn children in cars. Not just "I'll only be gone a minute" disregard, but full-on forget about the small human.

It's awful — and truly tragic in those cases versus a car burning to a crisp — but it can happen. Though I'll admit I find this case in particular really odd; I'd assume it was muscle memory to remove the pump after you're finished filling...

That's why in the Netherlands you can only fuel manually.

It's a Chrysler Town & Country. I'm amazed he didn't forget he had a car and walk home.

:lol: Now my colleagues are wondering what I'm laughing at

We were just talking about the story in the office. Admittedly, it seems almost impossible that someone could do it — but then, remember that a handful of people every year literally forget their newborn children in cars. Not just "I'll only be gone a minute" disregard, but full-on forget about the small human.

It's awful — and truly tragic in those cases versus a car burning to a crisp — but it can happen. Though I'll admit I find this case in particular really odd; I'd assume it was muscle memory to remove the pump after you're finished filling...

Maybe they had come from a state where someone else fills for you? So they weren't used to having to remove it or even touch the hose. It's still bizarre though.

That's why in the Netherlands you can only fuel manually.

I'm assuming the driver had filled manually when this happened, too. Sadly it doesn't protect against idiots.

:lol: Now my colleagues are wondering what I'm laughing at

Maybe they had come from a state where someone else fills for you? So they weren't used to having to remove it or even touch the hose. It's still bizarre though.

I'm assuming the driver had filled manually when this happened, too. Sadly it doesn't protect against idiots.

In some countries you can flip a "switch" so you don't need to hold the nozzle while filling up the tank. I can imagine (still stupid) forgetting if that person used that feature.

NJ has extreme EPA regulations.
Even a tablespoon amount of Gas spilled has to be reported and investigated.
Means you the Gas Station owner will have to PAY Huge $$$$$

So, no Self Service, Only Trained / Skilled Pump Attendants are Allowed to Pump Gas.
And All of their Hoses have the HUGE Vapor reclamation Boots on the,
You aren't allowed to Vent the Gas Vapor into the Air.
It has to Be collected and stored in a tank, which collects the vapor and it turns back into a Liquid.

NJ, the Other Country...
It's Free to Enter NJ, but you have to Pay to Get out. HA!

See my post above, but in some countries you can flip a switch on the fuelinggun to use it handsfree.

Oh, took me a second you're talking about the handle lock.

The article is about driving away with the entire nozzle still in the gas tanks fuel filler neck, ripping the hose out of pump.

Oh, took me a second you're talking about the handle lock.

The article is about driving away with the entire nozzle still in the gas tanks fuel filler neck, ripping the hose out of pump.
Yeah sorry English isn't my first language. I can imagine someone using the handle lock and walk in to pay for the fuel, come back and forget the handle is still there.

Yeah sorry English isn't my first language. I can imagine someone using the handle lock and walk in to pay for the fuel, come back and forget the handle is still there.

No worries, that's how most here in America fuel. I'll use the lock every time, but never leave the pump.

Owner will get a new car, and he at least got to enjoy some heavy cross-country use out of that example. I'd say it lived a short, but lucky life.

Owner will get a new car, and he at least got to enjoy some heavy cross-country use out of that example. I'd say it lived a short, but lucky life.
Yeah, I'd expect the owner to replace their car, whether it's another Performante or something else.

but then, remember that a handful of people every year literally forget their newborn children in cars. Not just "I'll only be gone a minute" disregard, but full-on forget about the small human.

That's a big fear of mine actually.

It's when you're deviating from your routine that this is a risk. Normally you drive straight to work, but this morning, unusually, you're supposed to take your kid to school. They fall asleep in the back and you drive to work on autopilot. It's the stuff nightmares are made of.

The only way I figure that would happen at the gas station is if someone interrupted your gas pumping routine and you didn't manage to get back into it at the same spot.

Back