SVX's Photography

• Thread starter SVX
  • 15 comments

SVX

The White Comet
Premium
New Zealand
Wellington
Been interested in photography for a little while now (some may recall my scale car photography comp. entries), but over the last couple of years have been researching up about it to improve my skills. Figured I'd make my own gallery to compile my work in one place and stop cluttering the amateur photo thread.

At this moment I only have access to my brother's EOS Kiss X5, but I plan to save up for my own in the coming future (suggestions would be appreciated on this front - budget will be around $1000 NZD). However I do have an X300s on its way from Germany which I'm quite excited to get started with.

Comments, tips, suggestions are all greatly appreciated.

To start off with, some of my personal favourites I've taken thus far;

24513437653_07cca9fd35_b.jpg

24513669863_8e43837285_b.jpg

24510163484_ac3fbb2cbb_b.jpg

27588808211_a838d74c7d_b.jpg

27385564740_c5531fa866_b.jpg

28222150124_c3484098ee_b.jpg

29661481883_3873f44e4f_b.jpg

29665044214_f207df5995_b.jpg

Canon EOS Kiss X5
EF-S18-55mm

Always liked that fourth one you posted; I really like non-2:3 or 4:3 formats. If only XPans weren't so damn expensive. The second one is pretty great too, though. Only big piece of advice is to watch the reds on the MR2 photo. They seem a little over the top, but I don't know how much of that is my own monitor. A more accurate one is on my "to buy" list but it's a lower priority.

Perhaps another thing to keep in mind is how much of that shadow detail you want to remove, particularly in the dash in first three shots. I know that crushing the shadows like that is a pretty popular trend these days (I do it a bit myself), especially with a lot of photographers that shoot modified cars and such, but I think the effect is a little too strong for my taste on those first few. That said, it is a matter of taste, and if you like it by all means continue. 👍

As for what camera you want to save up for, there's a lot to consider: What do you like shooting the most currently? What do you think you'd be more interested in shooting in the future? How important is size and weight? Do you plan on shooting a lot of video? Do you think you'll stick with photography long enough to upgrade, and if so, would you want to try and avoid changing systems? How important is weather-resistance? What kind of lenses would you want in the future? Which more affordable ones would you want within a year of purchasing a body? Et cetera, et cetera.

Not bad! Personal fav would have to be the 2nd, and the wheel detail 👍

Thanks kindly :)

Always liked that fourth one you posted; I really like non-2:3 or 4:3 formats. If only XPans weren't so damn expensive. The second one is pretty great too, though.

Cheers 👍

Only big piece of advice is to watch the reds on the MR2 photo. They seem a little over the top, but I don't know how much of that is my own monitor. A more accurate one is on my "to buy" list but it's a lower priority.

It is definitely very red, but that was more to combat the natural colour of the car, as in real life it's a very pink hue. I think fiddling with the hue instead was causing issues with the taillights.

Perhaps another thing to keep in mind is how much of that shadow detail you want to remove, particularly in the dash in first three shots. I know that crushing the shadows like that is a pretty popular trend these days (I do it a bit myself), especially with a lot of photographers that shoot modified cars and such, but I think the effect is a little too strong for my taste on those first few. That said, it is a matter of taste, and if you like it by all means continue. 👍

I'm trying to get out of the habit of washing out the shadows a lot, so I appreciate that observation 👍 It's due to to my fascination with nineties videography toning (though I go really overboard most of the time).

What do you like shooting the most currently? What do you think you'd be more interested in shooting in the future?

I primarily shoot automotive because I only really have access to the camera when there's an event, but I think when I get my own, I'll get to branch out more. I'd like to branch out to architecture at some stage, because it's really fascinating. Japan would produce some great shots...

How important is size and weight?

Nothing too inconvenient. It'll be my primary camera, so used for events and international travels, so anything ungainly large could get annoying.

Do you plan on shooting a lot of video?

Not really.

Do you think you'll stick with photography long enough to upgrade, and if so, would you want to try and avoid changing systems?

I dunno. It'll always be something I'll use (say, going on a trip and doing quick snapshots), but I'm not in it deep enough to need to buy more cameras (...yet :dopey:)

How important is weather-resistance?

NZ rains often, so would be nice.

What kind of lenses would you want in the future? Which more affordable ones would you want within a year of purchasing a body?

I don't really know myself what I want to answer these questions to be honest. :embarrassed:

SVX
I'm trying to get out of the habit of washing out the shadows a lot, so I appreciate that observation 👍 It's due to to my fascination with nineties videography toning (though I go really overboard most of the time).
I wouldn't say it's all that "overboard". There are plenty of people that take it a lot farther than you did. I mostly brought it up because the past couple months I've been trying to tone down that effect myself, and I thought you might look back on your early photos in a couple years more fondly than I look back on my own if I shared some of that.

SVX
I don't really know myself what I want to answer these questions to be honest. :embarrassed:

:lol: I didn't mean for you to answer all those questions, I was just letting you know what sort of things you'll have to consider when you're closer to actually buying your own camera; don't worry about this stuff too much right now.

I will say one little thing though: based off a couple things you said, (Weather-sealing being a plus, not caring about video very much, uncertain what lenses you'd get in the future) remember the name 'Pentax' when the time comes. I think a used K-3 or K-3 II would be right up your alley.

Note: I may be biased, I just really like Pentaxes; almost bought one instead of my Sony.

Just realised I never updated this. Quite a few months ago I finally got my own DSLR. I imported a barely used (1,500 shots!!) Pentax K-5 body from Japan, along with an f/1.8 50mm. Having a blast, but I've definitely come to the conclusion I need second lens to give me a bit more flexablity.

Going to start putting a few shots I've done since getting it:

38401325792_e0ddf56ab8_b.jpg

36504399274_68281e4f15_b.jpg

36575522280_d2e21ab9b2_b.jpg

23919171697_64f44a58d8_b.jpg

24910580098_f432d2d357_b.jpg

Back