PHYSICS UPDATE: Tourist Trophy Demo - First Impressions

• Thread starter amar212
  • 70 comments

amar212

GTSurgeons.com
Premium
Croatia
Croatia
It is a first official TT demo without time limit. I've got PAL "preview" demo which clearly indicated the PAL release. However, no official date has been provided yet.

4 tracks are available in 2 modes: Tsukuba, Laguna Seca, Motegi and Fisco 2005 to be raced in Single Race or Time Trial of Arcade mode.

Around 30 bikes are on disposal in demo, didn't bother to count. All japanese, except for 2 BMW's.

First thing - it is a riding bliss. No other game has ever caputred such an intense feel of riding on 2 wheels with engine below your guts. Moto GP series on both PS2 or Xbox have a nice potential, but while Namco's game is a ride on the arcade side, THQ's game offers a ridiculous amount of "simulation" which feels OK, but it doesn't feel right.

Tourist Trophy is a ride to the right side. I have to state that demo offers just the arcade mode physics, with TCS turned on. As you have to take into account all the knowlegdge of the tracks that we've mastered through GT series I just can't imagine the biss that final version will offer through the simulation mode.

Acceleration feels great with rear whell pushing the bike forward and screen trebbeling and then calming down after reaching certain speed. But as in real life, braking is the main part and you must brake very carefully. With "normal" brake you brake with front kit, and on L2 is the rear-brake.

Leaning in turn is the key to master because if you lean to much in low speed you'll fall. It's easy logic which works on the edge of your nerves and thumbs. In short - I've never felt so much thrill while riding a virtual bike.

Analogue controls are far the best analogue controls ever on consoles. Even GT4 does not offer so much finesse in holding the stick in right position while maintaining the speed through the last curve on Tsukuba. It's precise, gentle and instant - if you're riding a XX Blackbird you'll have to be careful with both gas and brakes. But when you turn the thottle the bike will explode.

Physics model differs the wheelbase lenghth in unique way, so it is much easier to turn around the Motegi's 90-turns with smaller 125cc bike then with Hayabusa. But Hayabusa will kick off your head while accelerating on Fisco straight.

In Single Race you race 2 laps against a very decent AI driver. He breaks great, he will not bump into you when breaking on straights and he has a great throttle control in turns. In some races when he drives a decent bike it takes some skill to catch him in just 2 laps.

Arcade mode do not allows controling of the driver, and it still remains to be seen will the final game offer that. However, you can choose 3 driving styles: in, neutral and out. I was sticking to neutral, will try other two later today. Driver animations are second-to-none. When you slow down, driver will put his legs on the track. When gearing, the foot moves accordingly and hands turn while accelerating. Only braking does not have hand-animation. Falling animation is short - you fall down, blackscreen, you're on the bike again, go. Wonder what it'll be like in simulation mode.

You can't turn you head, it's a classic look-behind mode like in GT games.

There are 3 views in total - "bumper", wheel and rider view. Bumper is a classic, wheeel is far the best, while rider is nice but I just can't drive that way. The leaning-factor is best expressed in wheel view and I prefer it at the moment.

Graphics are expectable greatness, while sound is phenomenal. Only thing I do not like is a engine sound in low revs. But, it will maybe be fixed.

No PhotoMode or any other mode is available in Demo.

Overall - Tourist Trophy is gooing to be a one-hell-of-a-riding-game. With great choice of bikes and familiar GT structure we're looking for a wnner here. However, it will probably trigger the expected flaming "TT is simulation, others are arcades Vs. Moto GP is a simulation, TT is not" but I do not have problem with that.

After 10 minutes I was on the neck of AI rider with CBR 1100 on Motegi, catching the 0,100 sec he managed to gain on every turn. For me, it was enough to know that I'm going to love the TT as I never expected.

UPDATE #2 - Final Details Breakdown

UPDATE:

About the disc and case - it is a press-dvd in ordinary jewel-box. Nothing special there.

First, I have to apologise to all of my PAL friends - since my TV displays both NTSC annd PAL, I thought this preview demo was PAL. Unfortunately, it is NTSC review disc. So, keep the fingers crossed for PAL demo in some time now, I hope.

Nothing spectaculary new in this update, but I have to say I was amased when found out that TT actually supports DFP - in 900 mode the foorce feedback is very light but existant. Of course, it is impossbile to steer that way since you have to turn the wheel in total to make a actual steering, but it is fun someway. Normally, one would never drive TT with DFP since it feels abit strange.

But, the whell calibrates itself and all the buttons worls flawlessly. So, that one covered.

Another update is about the tracks - when you leave the disc to go in demo mode there is replay of Suzuka GP Course in replay mode - the track is atually altered to GP standards sice there is a chicane after the middle-hairpin. So, with already altered Tsukuba and Fisco, this is the showcase of nice attention to RL details.

Wonder will the "original" tracks going to bee altered for bikes on any way. SS11 with underway chicane maybe? :)

Another nice update - you can zoom-in your bikes in "garage" view, in the same way that old-but-gold GT3 demo was allowing back in 2001. Hope they'll keep that option. When you choose your bike the animation zooms-oot the bike and gets the driver in screen for choosing the helmet&suit. So, you can see the colour of the bike to match it wiith the clothes. Barbie-effect. Nice touch nonetheless.

This concludes TT demo breakdown. As I hope I'll get my hands on japanese game as it gets released, expect mine dime here. But, as Japanese respectfull memebers will get theirs copies before, I'm looking foorward to their first real review of the finished product.

Now I have to go to watch VH1 since today iis the Guns N' Roses day all day long.
:D

BR, a212.

UPDATE 3# - Physics Update

Officialy superior physics confirmation. Just didn't try it before. Shame on me.

Didn't yet make the 100 m front-wheel driving, but weight of the driver is easiliy transferred to the front fork while braking, making bike lean onto the front-wheel. Done maybe 5 meters and then my thumbs overpushed the stikcs :). I already see the time when one will make a front-wheel drive on the whole Fisco straight.

As for back-whell riding, there is no problem to lift the bike while accelarating, but it is also hard to keep it riding on the rear-wheel. Some practice will do, fortunately in simulation mode. Both front-and-rear wheeel driving are just matter of stick-practice. Many PhotoMode pics and great replays obviuosly awaits :D.

Still, it is a great touch toward real-physics.

And another slight graphical improvement - there is a Heat Haze effect. It was existant in GT3 but it lacked from GT4. Now it is back for Tourist Trophy. Looks great as always.

****ENDS******

Heh, I was wondering when you were going to chime in with exclusive info. Thanks amar, it’s always a pleasure.

Wow :eek: another scoop from our man in Croatia! :D Great news about the fact that it's a PAL demo, and almost certainly confirms the PAL release possibility...

Thanks so much for sharing your exclusive information with us, and for the excellent write-up too... 👍

Sounds like it is going to be all we've come to expect from PD and a bit more... if the AI is as good as you say it is, then we could well be in for a real treat... :) I'm also looking forward to hearing this game too... Great that they put Laguna Seca in the demo... I reckon the Corkscrew on a bike must be quite something!

Cheers Amar212...! (once again, you are the envy of GTP :sly: )

Thanks Amar.👍

A few days ago, the official european GT4 champion - a french guy - was invited in Tokyo by PD.
In particular, he met Yamauchi and Kutaragi and he could test TT :

img_4835.3.jpg

Considering this picture, I have a little request for Amar : can you try to connect a DFP on your PAL TT demo ? Thanks. ;)

What can I say amar? You're too good to be true.

VV, thanks for the heads up! I'm trying to figure out what track he's on. If anyone mentions Tsukuba, off with their head, because the track map orientation is different. If you are able to aquire a higher resolution image through his blog, I'd be greatful :D!

enlarged5ce.jpg

ALPHA
What can I say amar? You're too good to be true.

VV, thanks for the heads up! I'm trying to figure out what track he's on. If anyone mentions Tsukuba, off with their head, because the track map orientation is different. If you are able to aquire a higher resolution image through his blog, I'd be greatful :D!

enlarged5ce.jpg

Is it Twin Ring Motegi?? The screen directly above the wheel (top row) looks to be the Nurburgring...

Touring Mars
Is it Twin Ring Motegi?? The screen directly above the wheel (top row) looks to be the Nurburgring...
I was thinking along similar lines, could be Deep Forest if you're pushing it.

If you feel the urge, you can play "Match-The-Track" using tre's GT4 Track Page. I don't particularily want to play anymore, I keep losing ;).

Looks like a fun game to play. Maybe i'll buy it later. It'd be great if they realeaseed it for the PC, but i know they won't.

After reading that...my fingers are starting to itch!!:crazy: Can't wait to check out the demo. Also good to hear that they've fixed the gearchanging/left foot issue, so no more lag then.

Hi Fella! Tourist Trophy has just been released in Japan! I actually saw a copy in the 7 11 convienience store and will be picking up a copy next tuesday at the Tokyo Electronic City. I will play it for a week solid and post a review of the game soon.

Anyone who has a modified PS2 and wants me to send them a NTSC JDM version please e mail me at:

tachi_tjrs@yahoo.co.jp

Kenjiro Algers at your service.

TachiTJRS
Hi Fella! Tourist Trophy has just been released in Japan! I actually saw a copy in the 7 11 convienience store and will be picking up a copy next tuesday at the Tokyo Electronic City. I will play it for a week solid and post a review of the game soon.

Anyone who has a modified PS2 and wants me to send them a NTSC JDM version please e mail me at:

tachi_tjrs@yahoo.co.jp

Kenjiro Algers at your service.

Hello Kenjiro, it’s a most generous offer for you to pass on NTSC/j retail copies to GT-Planet members. In your view, are some retailers simply jumping the gun, or do you believe that Sony has given the green light to ship the game prior to the Feb 2nd release date?

We look forward to further info and your review.
sonar.gif

[edit]
Eep, it was right there in a 7/11 and you didn’t pick it up!
attachment.php
:lol:

Good news if it's released already. But that probably means we won't see non GT4 tracks on the game. :indiff:

Not that I think Tachi is lying or anything but I highly doubt what he saw was an actual retail copy of the game. The official homepage still says Feb. 2nd and play-asia still says the same date as well. I wish it was true!

Amar- more impressions? we're waiting. Thanks.

8400RPM
Not that I think Tachi is lying or anything but I highly doubt what he saw was an actual retail copy of the game. The official homepage still says Feb. 2nd and play-asia still says the same date as well. I wish it was true!

Amar- more impressions? we're waiting. Thanks.

I will go to the game store right now and have a look.

speedy_samurai
I will go to the game store right now and have a look.
Thanks Speedy. I’ll take a copy if you’re willing to post it out. I’ll make it worth your while.

[edit]
I wrote to Play Asia early this morning asking about the potential for an early release. The reply email indicated that there was no change to the Feb 2nd date, and it was suggested that the retail copy was possibly a promo case.

As I suspected, TT was not available. The Tsutaya store I went to didn't even have anything up in the way of promotion yet. It looks like we will be waiting until Feb 2nd or so. If that changes, Samberto, I will be sure to let you know.

Sorry guys, I was mistaken. The release date of Tourist Trophy in Japan is on the 2nd Febuary. I tried the game at the Tokyo Auto Salon today. However it was only the demo mode and there seemed to be a default setting on the way the rider is controlled.

Overall game feeling is surprisingly very similiar to GT4 in the way you preceive the track and your surroundings. What is different of course when you are on a motorcycle is how quickly the bike responds to your slightest movements of the control pad. Indeen shifting your weight around makes the difference. In the arcade option screen you are given a choice of 4 different riding styles. Normal, In, Out and I can't remember the last one. I chose Out since i figured it would be hanging out. The movement afforded by GT style control of the riders arms makes for very precise handling of the bike. Everyone there only managed to get a short 2 laps and I chose my favourite bike and real life bike the VFR400R (NC30) (actually I own a RVF400, but its very similiar) it is still a fast and responsive bike and 'leaning into corners seems natural enough. I cannot comment more for now because it was just but a brief experience.

It appears that most of the tracks that we are familiar with in GT4 are in the game and the menus are spot on in feeling. The only thing that I am still pissed about bike games so far is that you cannot 'turn' your head and look through the corner like you are supposed to do in real life.

Anyway, I have booked the game and shall receive it on the 2nd of Feb. For those who want the game, its 6000yen. Please give me your advanced orders. I will check the postage to whereever you are from.

give me your address and quantity. Give my your e mail and I will send you a reply. I will give you transfer details and then just wait for the game to be sent to your doorstep.

Fireblade
TachiTJRS!

You rock man! Pick it up, enjoy, and tell us! :dopey:

p.s. is that Integra type R on the picture yours? Looks very nice

Yes, that Integra Type R is my car. I also own a RVF400. Here are some pictures.

imgp12326nv.jpg

imgp12446oa.jpg

Back