Pictures of the Panasonic GameCube.

NocturnalPS

?¿That's Odd?¿
Staff Emeritus
United States
Tx, Alamo City
XRaptor529
In case you have not seen the Panasonic GameCube here it is.

panacubespace7.jpg

panacubespace4.jpg

The Panasonic GameCube has absolutely no extra graphics processing functionality, no increased disc drive speed for software, or any other extras when it comes to playing GCN games. All the benefits you get from purchasing one come in the form of DVD movie playback. The machine will retail for around $300 and offers progressive scan and Dolby Digital/DTS output capabilities. If you do the math and subtract the cost of GameCube, you get a high-end DVD player for only $100. Not a bad deal at all, and it's a space saver too.

What's most interesting about the player is that Pansonic's name is branded on everything down to even the controller. If it weren't for the .5" square GameCube logo found in the lower right hand side of the frontplate, you wouldn't know it was a Nintendo game system. Panasonic supplies the DVD disc drives to Nintendo and most likely has struck a deal to provide the drives cheaply if Nintendo does the same with the GCN hardware. Whatever the case is, it takes some getting used to seeing merely the words "Panasonic" on your GameCube controller.

The design of the system is all around very odd for both a videogame system and a DVD player. It's an elongated cube with arched handles on the top, obviously borrowing a lot from the original GCN design. The frontplate is made up entirely of a mirror (which makes for a hard photo shoot). It has four buttons on the right used to open/close the disc drive, select surround sound mode, mute, and switch to GameCube mode. On the left side the player has four buttons for power, dialogue enhancement, cinema modes, and game reset. In between those buttons you'll find everything you need to play GameCube including a mechanical front-loading disc drive, four controller ports, and two memory card slots.

The good news is that if you can get used to the size it's a great buy. Having both a progressive scan DVD player and a GameCube in one is a huge advantage. The bad news is that the system is only going to be available in Japan for the time being according to one of the representatives at the show. He commented that it would be too expensive to bring it stateside. However, as we know all too well electronics devices drop in price over time. So, there's still hope it will be released overseas

Originally posted by NocturnalPS
In case you have not seen the Panasonic GameCube here it is.

panacubespace7.jpg

panacubespace4.jpg

The Panasonic GameCube has absolutely no extra graphics processing functionality, no increased disc drive speed for software, or any other extras when it comes to playing GCN games. All the benefits you get from purchasing one come in the form of DVD movie playback. The machine will retail for around $300 and offers progressive scan and Dolby Digital/DTS output capabilities. If you do the math and subtract the cost of GameCube, you get a high-end DVD player for only $100. Not a bad deal at all, and it's a space saver too.

What's most interesting about the player is that Pansonic's name is branded on everything down to even the controller. If it weren't for the .5" square GameCube logo found in the lower right hand side of the frontplate, you wouldn't know it was a Nintendo game system. Panasonic supplies the DVD disc drives to Nintendo and most likely has struck a deal to provide the drives cheaply if Nintendo does the same with the GCN hardware. Whatever the case is, it takes some getting used to seeing merely the words "Panasonic" on your GameCube controller.

The design of the system is all around very odd for both a videogame system and a DVD player. It's an elongated cube with arched handles on the top, obviously borrowing a lot from the original GCN design. The frontplate is made up entirely of a mirror (which makes for a hard photo shoot). It has four buttons on the right used to open/close the disc drive, select surround sound mode, mute, and switch to GameCube mode. On the left side the player has four buttons for power, dialogue enhancement, cinema modes, and game reset. In between those buttons you'll find everything you need to play GameCube including a mechanical front-loading disc drive, four controller ports, and two memory card slots.

The good news is that if you can get used to the size it's a great buy. Having both a progressive scan DVD player and a GameCube in one is a huge advantage. The bad news is that the system is only going to be available in Japan for the time being according to one of the representatives at the show. He commented that it would be too expensive to bring it stateside. However, as we know all too well electronics devices drop in price over time. So, there's still hope it will be released overseas

Oh no! Panasonic is having another go at this? :confused: The last time they tried to make a intergrated "Home Entertainment Box" it just never took off. I looks down right nifty though doesn't it?

Originally posted by Pako

Oh no! Panasonic is having another go at this? :confused: The last time they tried to make a intergrated "Home Entertainment Box" it just never took off. I looks down right nifty though doesn't it?

hey it looks like a minature microwave oven , but cool all the same ! great pics nocturnal ;) :cool:

From what I remember, their last attempt was their own creation. This thing is actually quite awsome (:

~LoudMusic

Yeah all panasonic is doing is making the GameCube play DVD's Everything about the GameCube is the same. I would buy it if it was to be sold here in the states.

Originally posted by mr persistance

hey it looks like a minature microwave oven , but cool all the same ! great pics nocturnal ;) :cool:

Yeah man i found this at IGN. Thanks :D

This is gonna burn a friggin big hole in the Nintendo GameCube sales, hopefulyy Nintendo gets a good profit form each one sold, or else they could lose money

Originally posted by space
I was kinda disappointed that it wasn't coming over here, I was actually thinking about getting one.

Yeah, me too. I wonder if they'll change their minds if they see a big enough desire for them.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell
Here's a better price for the Panasonic Gamecube, but it's not region free, it's Japanese only. :(
http://www.tronixweb.com/gamecube.html

I've ordered off this site a few times, and they are very good. :)
(Ascii pads because my hands were too big for the Dreamcast controller, and some other stuff) :)

$415 !?! It's cool, but it's not that cool. I don't think I'd pay that much for a US English version of it. I was thinking more like $350.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by space
www.ncsx.com has it for 450USD. They say its modded, to play US games, but not the DVD's

I would think about getting one from them, if it wasn't so damed expensive. I am in the UK, so I would play American English games (better than not understanding a word on the Japanese games), and also UK English DVD's (both Japan & the UK are the same DVD region)

Back