Pikes Peak Hill Climb May be Exclusively Licensed to the Gran Turismo Series

Eh, when was Forza the "main" sponsor for Le Mans, I'd like to see that article. I've never once heard about that. I know they sponsored a V8 Super Car Team at Bathurst, but the whole Le Man's, never heard of this. I'll do some research. Be back with details.

Wrong, if they are the major sponsor if they pull out then the race may not happen at all.

Edit:

"“Forza Motorsport” was there, not only represented by an amazing driver, but also as an official sponsor for the world’s premiere sports car racing event.
Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2014/06/19/games-forza-represents-at-le-mans/#3UcTWDAuM5CSomZe.99"

Major sponsor no, official sponsor yes, just like a myriad of other official sponsors like Gran Turismo always is an official sponsor for ALMS and Le Mans. Major Sponsor means you sponsor the event itself in a big way. Gran Turismo isn't a major sponsor for Le Mans but their logos are on every car in the races, hmm might be more to this than I thought. Will do more digging. That quote came straight from MS Xbox page article on Le Mans from a few years back.

Their billboards were all over the track, they obviously paid a LOT of money to do that, which was your argument why Sony would want to lock it up.

fcdad2be-fbfb-4a20-a154-29dd0248348b.jpg

Their billboards were all over the track, they obviously paid a LOT of money to do that, which was your argument why Sony would want to lock it up.

fcdad2be-fbfb-4a20-a154-29dd0248348b.jpg

Did you read my reply, on Xbox.com they never said major sponsor. Just said an official sponsor. Major sponsor is something else entirely, those are nice billboards. No chance that Forza was a majority sponsor of Le Mans and no one heard about it, they would be shouting that from the hills(just like they were when they sponsored that V8 team) The worlds biggest race and not a peep about them being the major sponsor is said. There is no official word that they were ever the majority sponsor, I mean I'm still scouring the net and nothing about it turned up stating they were majority sponsors. PD has GT plastered across many cars windshields, what's that mean? They are official sponsors that's it. Although that is a nice photo, it in no way gives credence to them being majority sponsor of Le Mans at all.

I'm confused as to how something can be an official sponsor for something, but not be considered one of the major ones. Shouldn't the fact that it's the "official" sponsor lend some weight to it actually being that?

I'm confused what his point even is. Because Sony paid to be a sponsor of the race people should be fine with them locking up the track for PD?

Reading the update, it is clear to me that a vast majority of people commenting fail to read. It said that Gran Turismo is the main sponsor for PPHC, which makes things a little different than I originally stated earlier. So this of course takes precedence as Sony is footing the bill, you bet they would like to lock that up as the PPHC is an event and paying for said event you would like a bit of recompense yes?

Looking at the inane comments I see failure on many to pick that up, cheers folks.

Perhaps you can express yourself without resorting to insults. And by "perhaps you can", I mean "you will".

Wrong, if they are the major sponsor if they pull out then the race may not happen at all.

The event is 101 years old, and has been run over 90 times. If there's some evidence that it literally can't run without GT's sponsorship, I'd love to see it.

Did you read my reply, on Xbox.com they never said major sponsor. Just said an official sponsor. Major sponsor is something else entirely, those are nice billboards. No chance that Forza was a majority sponsor of Le Mans and no one heard about it, they would be shouting that from the hills(just like they were when they sponsored that V8 team) The worlds biggest race and not a peep about them being the major sponsor is said. There is no official word that they were ever the majority sponsor, I mean I'm still scouring the net and nothing about it turned up stating they were majority sponsors. PD has GT plastered across many cars windshields, what's that mean? They are official sponsors that's it. Although that is a nice photo, it in no way gives credence to them being majority sponsor of Le Mans at all.

It doesn't matter what name you give them, major, primary, official, main, they paid enough money to put their name all the way around the track on billboards. You don't have to be a genius about sponsorship to know that doesn't come cheaply, in the focus of cameras broadcast worldwide for 24 hours. Which again, is what your reasoning was for why Sony would want to have an exclusive license. So if Sony have paid a lot of money and want to recoup that by having the exclusive track, why didn't MS want to recoup their costs by locking up Le Mans?

Oh and FYI, the title sponsor of PPIHC is The Broadmoor. Gran Turismo is the 'Platinum Sponsor'. Which makes your entire "GT is the main sponsor so it's all changed" point moot.

http://www.ppihc.com/2017-ppihc-sponsors/

Like I say, the name is irrelevant. The point is, they all put money into the sponsorship, that doesn't mean they have to take exclusive license of it in the games to recoup it.

Perhaps you can express yourself without resorting to insults. And by "perhaps you can", I mean "you will".

The event is 101 years old, and has been run over 90 times. If there's some evidence that it literally can't run without GT's sponsorship, I'd love to see it.

No problem, and if you stated the event is 101 years old and ran short of that number doesn't that answer your final question? Some years it simply was not run? I said it may not happen, not that it wouldn't happen. It's like people forget in this day and age a thing called money and that each year inflation goes up requiring more of it to do the same thing you did the previous year(although inflation in the US is kept low, it still goes up).

It's an expensive event, Sony might be a major sponsor but they are probably not the only one. This is all pertaining to the exclusivity of it all. Could be Sony the company decided to make it unavailable to other game publishers, I mean when you sign contracts there are thing you push for during arbitration and some things are simply options. Not in defense of Sony's practices but to them this is still a business deal and businesses have exclusivity all the time, heck its the main reason for the USPTO, to give you an advantage over your rivals for a set time. We're living in a world full of exclusive deals and folks are complaining about it as if it's new, it's not. It's annoying but nothing new in the grand scheme of things in the least.

I'm not for the deal at all, it makes no sense as the PPHC for all intents and purposes isn't huge outside of those who know about it. I mean can you name the last game PPHC featured prominently in? This seems like a business as usual decision, I mean it would make more sense for it to not be exclusive so it appears everywhere and gets more exposure through other games. If the owners wanted exposure surely being available in more games and platforms would equal that? I mean from a brand managing position, they would have opted to go with the best performing game titles which match the event, such as Dirt.

folks are complaining about it as if it's new

On the contrary most people have referenced past exclusive deals and how they don't want them to re-appear/continue. One huge exclusive deal has just disappeared (Porsche), so it's disappointing for another one to appear.

I'd love to run Pike's Peak in a GT game again. I wore that track out in GT2. I hope it's in GTS, and comes soon, and not Kaz soon. :)

It doesn't matter what name you give them, major, primary, official, main, they paid enough money to put their name all the way around the track on billboards. You don't have to be a genius about sponsorship to know that doesn't come cheaply, in the focus of cameras broadcast worldwide for 24 hours. Which again, is what your reasoning was for why Sony would want to have an exclusive license. So if Sony have paid a lot of money and want to recoup that by having the exclusive track, why didn't MS want to recoup their costs by locking up Le Mans?

Oh and FYI, the title sponsor of PPIHC is The Broadmoor. Gran Turismo is the 'Platinum Sponsor'. Which makes your entire "GT is the main sponsor so it's all changed" point moot.

http://www.ppihc.com/2017-ppihc-sponsors/

Like I say, the name is irrelevant. The point is, they all put money into the sponsorship, that doesn't mean they have to take exclusive license of it in the games to recoup it.

Ok, I'm not sure what you are arguing anymore. You stated that just because costs of certain things means that levels of sponsorship are moot all of a sudden? Hmm, this site has different levels of membership does it not, do all levels have the same privileges, I'm curious? Sponsorships have levels based on contribution that vary obviously with how much is contributed, not always monetary but also in services and the like which still boils down to money. Gran Turismo as a major sponsor for PPHC, why use a term in conjunction if it doesn't hold any significance over just being an official sponsor? If all sponsorship is equal regardless of amount,

You listed Title sponsorship, doesn't that mean when the PPHC logo is up for the coming event, the one who has title sponsorship will have their name up there, kind of how Nascar has the Sprint Cup/Nextel Cup, is that title sponsorship. More than likely meaning they are footing the bill for all the broadcasting and communications, either paying for and/or providing the equipment.

I don't like exclusivity deals when it is of this nature but this world would be a free for all with folks steal other individuals ideas and making money off and thereby reducing potential gains. It's just how the world works, as much as we complain about it some things will only be seen through the lens of how much do I stand to make off this deal. These are companies and their main focus is their shareholders happiness, so we'll all have to bite the bullet since we are not as powerful collectively speaking, we're a disjointed bunch with varying opinions on things but we don't possess the financial wherewithal to force companies to not arbitrarily grab exclusive licenses.

Heck this who thing could just be a one time thing for all we know, but fact of the matter is it's a part of business. There is a lot in business that you'd rather not do but in doing so could be suicide for your business and the people you employ. So you see where there is another way that seems easy to us, for the business it's never so cut and dry.

Touche, my good man. Also WWI also prevented the race from being held although it did not start up again for two years after the end of the war. After WWII they started up pretty much immediately as they held the 1946 event.

Nah that can't be it, clearly PD not existing was why it wasn't run, geez, you bringing history into this. And how it had a global effect on all racing series even that of the massive Le Mans but yeah...

Also WW2 ended in '45 so why didn't they run a race until '49 at Le Mans?...I guess it's cause T10 hadn't come around yet.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm not sure what you are arguing anymore.

Likewise. You initially said:

o this of course takes precedence as Sony is footing the bill, you bet they would like to lock that up as the PPHC is an event and paying for said event you would like a bit of recompense yes?

Now you can correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be suggesting that because Sony has paid a lot to sponsor the event, they will want to recoup that by making the track exclusive. The reason I then brought up MS and Forza is because they similarly paid a lot of money to sponsor the 24 Hours of Le Mans but didn't look to make the track exclusive. Why not?

There are also probably plenty of other examples, you even mentioned one yourself with all the cars Sony pay to plaster their sponsorship on, from full on liveries to just the banner at some other events. That costs money as well, but Sony didn't try to re-coup costs by making any exclusive.

So in short, what evidence do you have to suggest the track is exclusive merely because of sponsorship? What is the precedent?

Exclusivity in racing games, In any games in general is a terrible thing not only for the consumer but for whatever genre the game is in, It holds back progress, I'm not sure of the phrase but competition is motivation to make progress.

Exclusivity prevents/slows this progress down to a certain degree and is a deal breaker for some gamers which I can understand, Games aren't cheap and to waste money getting exclusives makes the game less worth its price.

Exclusivity in racing games, In any games in general is a terrible thing not only for the consumer but for whatever genre the game is in, It holds back progress, I'm not sure of the phrase but competition is motivation to make progress.

Exclusivity prevents/slows this progress down to a certain degree and is a deal breaker for some gamers which I can understand, Games aren't cheap and to waste money getting exclusives makes the game less worth its price.
I agree, the Porsche deal with EA is all the proof you need of that. The good thing is it does mean we're likely to get Pikes Peak if not in GT Sport then GT7, but shame it won't be in any other games.

...Well, hot damn. Exclusive licensing, eh. I wonder if PDI - or Sony, as one of the posters here have speculated - might be willing to sub-license the track a la EA/Porsche shenanigan.

It'd be another source of income for them if so. Which shouldn't be a bad thing, if handled right.

I agree, the Porsche deal with EA is all the proof you need of that. The good thing is it does mean we're likely to get Pikes Peak if not in GT Sport then GT7, but shame it won't be in any other games.

Oh I agree its a good thing to eventually finally be getting to drive pikes peak but I wish it wasn't this way, It's kind of funny that PD needed an exclusive for Pikes Peak but not for the MOON. :lol:

Oh I agree its a good thing to eventually finally be getting to drive pikes peak but I wish it wasn't this way, It's kind of funny that PD needed an exclusive for Pikes Peak but not for the MOON. :lol:

It is a great drive. I've been up it a dozen times or so mostly in my Ram.
We did push it a little in a good friends WRX once. The tarmac section is very smooth with nice guard rails.
Up top when it turns to dirt the rails disappear and I pooed myself many times riding shotgun.

Forgive me as I have not read the article, but could another developer, such as Codemasters, not just include the road in the game and not call it Pikes Peak? As someone else pointed out it's a public road, how can you sell exclusivity rights to a physical, public place/thing? The name of the event, Pikes Peak International Hillclimb, can obviously be sold exclusively but beyond that I don't really see how or why this should matter.

If my memory serves me right doesn't Project Cars have real locations with different names due to licensing/rights issues?

🤬 move by PD. I expected Kaz to be more respectable than this. The GT series has always been above shady things like microtransactions and exclusive deals, but not anymore it seems. My respect for them has just gone massively downhill 👎👎👎 GT is not a dedicated rally game so this doesn't even make sense. My bet is we'll see it in GT7 5 years from now, with only 3 events and then never to be heard of again. Rubbish.

I've been a steadfast supporter of the series since it introduced me to racing 18 years ago, but this might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Thank god for SLRE, Dirt Rally and mods in AC. Goodbye Kaz, I hope you realize one day that GT isn't the king you thought it was anymore.

I'm sorry but even though it was most likely an Auto Correct mistake, "piles peak" really made me laugh :P
Latest: PDI in Piles Peak licence exclusivity mistake!

🤬 move by PD. I expected Kaz to be more respectable than this. The GT series has always been above shady things like microtransactions and exclusive deals, but not anymore it seems. My respect for them has just gone massively downhill 👎👎👎 GT is not a dedicated rally game so this doesn't even make sense. My bet is we'll see it in GT7 5 years from now, with only 3 events and then never to be heard of again. Rubbish.

I've been a steadfast supporter of the series since it introduced me to racing 18 years ago, but this might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Thank god for SLRE, Dirt Rally and mods in AC. Goodbye Kaz, I hope you realize one day that GT isn't the king you thought it was anymore.
Does anyone even with these exclusives exclusive the licence seller?

I remember a few years ago reading an article from the Top Gear, interviewing Kaz about Gran Turismo. Near the end the journalists tried to ruffle some feathers by talking about Forza. Kaz said something along the lines that they were in a way, on the same side promoting digital racing world. How does making Pikes Peak an exclusive to GT help that?

Latest Posts

Back