PlayStation 3 Officially Discontinued in Japan

Just started the F1 2010 career mode when I saw this.

Goodbye PS3, you will be remembered.

Some of my library included the Gran Turismo series, TDU2, F1 2010, Full Auto 2, many NFS games, Skyrim/Oblivion, Ratchet and Clank, Wipeout HD among others.

Thanks for the years of great gaming experiences.

What a coincidence. I ordered a brand new one TODAY...

My old fat 80gig one died 18 months ago after almost 10 solid years, so i moved on, but i still have like 10+ top tier games on my psn that i did not finish and/or got platinum... a bunch of psn exclusives i didn't even touch (promos), i also didn't play some must-have (for me) titles like Demon and Dark Souls or Red Dead Redemption... not to mention, some good friends that haven't moved to the current gen and still meeting up for some GT6/FIFA/Street Fighter fun.

It's crazy but... considering all that, i might actually have more fun with the PS3 in the next months.

Maybe until pCars2 or the next FROM game, that is.

Last edited:
What a coincidence. I ordered a brand new one TODAY...

I have been trying to get hold of a new PS3 (Super Slim) but they are no longer for sale anywhere despite not ever being officially discontinued in Europe. Got my 60GB at launch, feels like such a long time ago!

Sony should have never discontinued the PS3 because it still could have gotten smaller (hadn't reached PS2 slim size yet) plus being so well designed I think it had quite a bit of life left in it graphically.

...It was way to easy for them to get PS consumers to fall in line and pay up...
So easy that it took them until the PS4 came out? I know that PS1 and 2 didn't have a dedicated online service, but they didn't come out of the gate demanding a paid service, despite the option and precedent already being there - so maybe it wasn't quite as you're suggesting.

I still play my PS3 all the time. I'm still having fun with GT6 and I'm currently 2 hours into Uncharted 2. I think it's a great machine.

So easy that it took them until the PS4 came out? I know that PS1 and 2 didn't have a dedicated online service, but they didn't come out of the gate demanding a paid service, despite the option and precedent already being there - so maybe it wasn't quite as you're suggesting.

It's true PS1 and PS2 didnt have it, but they both came out to early for that.

Though PS3 didnt have a paid online service straight away, it was mainly because they were not confident enough yet with the service. Come PS4 they were confident, thus knew it wasn't a hard gamble to expect people to pay for the service. The idea of PS4 online gaming going free is extremely unlikely, almost a certain.

PS3 gave me some of the the best gaming experiences of my life. Mostly due to the free online muliplayer & the great lobby options in GT5 & GT6. PS4 doesn't even come close.

And after playing the PS3's swan song "Beyond: Two Souls", I don't think any gaming experience will ever match it.

Now all we got on PS4 is never ending DLC & more wallet raping via PSN Plus charges.

generate.php

VBR
Now all we got on PS4 is never ending DLC & more wallet raping via PSN Plus charges.
Now the question(s) is: Will the PS4 be as remember for it's games as the PS3's? Best gaming experiences once it gets too old?

I had fun playing on PS3 the last 9 years or so, but it's the best online experience that I've had, and the best part was that it was a free experience.

The Playstation 3 used to be so popular over here, more so than the Xbox 360 and Wii combined. Apart from the fact gamers here are being loyal to the Sony consoles and thus it was natural for them to move from the PS1/2 to PS3, this console also have free online which's the rage everyone had back in the day. Unlike the xbox where you had to pay.

I have always wanted to buy a ps3 when it was new and especially when GTA IV was announced. Sadly it wasn't until 21st, August 2009 when we finally bought an 80 GB fat PS3 model and not until 2012 and 2013 where I finally started playing online.

But the first time starting up the console with the good o' startup and playing Legends of Wrestlemania and GTA IV was unforgettable. Not even the PS4 reached that level.

I remember finding that a new PS3 game was so expensive due to being legit and not pirated like the PS2 days here. I'm glad tho because it made us support Sony and Developers thus they started to care a bit more about our gaming market. More local support, language system, marketing, PSN support and even dubbing.

I still play on my friends ps3 from time to time. Thinking about revisiting RDR and GTA 4 now.

Rip PS3, maybe i should buy some ps3 consoles and store them until years later where it gets rare and a new one goes up in prices. Ebay anyone?

The Playstation 2 was the best console it had better games. The Playstation 3 was good until they switched off Gran Turismo 5 online then a lot of my friends never came back online and Gran Turismo 6 looked nice but was not as fun as Gran Turismo 5.

I don't think the PS3's dead just yet. I mean, the PS2 survived for a long time and the PS3 is one of the last consoles that will, at least in lyrics opinion, live for a long time, we'll into the 2020s. I like to call these 'Survivor Consoles' because they never die.

Also, like the first three PlayStations, they'll run in working order much longer than any modern console, although the PS4 could as well.

The PS3 isn't over.

I enjoyed my PS3 and have it still. It has given me some good memories and times.

I do love our PS4 far more though and find that I rarely go back to the 3 anymore as a result, much in the same way as I very rarely go back to the PS2 despite it still being plugged in and ready to roll. Each generation has simply got better.

I enjoyed my PS3 and have it still. It has given me some good memories and times.

I do love our PS4 far more though and find that I rarely go back to the 3 anymore as a result, much in the same way as I very rarely go back to the PS2 despite it still being plugged in and ready to roll. Each generation has simply got better.

The PS4 is a good console just not enough good racing games and the controller is better but not enough games I want. The reason I don't go back to the PS3 is because Grand Turismo 5 is not online anymore. The only reasons I don't play the PS2 is because it looks terrible on modern tvs.

The PS4 is a good console just not enough good racing games and the controller is better but not enough games I want. The reason I don't go back to the PS3 is because Grand Turismo 5 is not online anymore. The only reasons I don't play the PS2 is because it looks terrible on modern tvs.
I suppose it's always a subjective thing as I don't just play driving games, so for me I've more than enough to keep me happily occupied.

I suppose it's always a subjective thing as I don't just play driving games, so for me I've more than enough to keep me happily occupied.

True, I mostly play racing games its the reason I wanted the PS2 was because of Toca Race Driver and 2, 3. I didn't like Grid because it was more like need for speed and codemasters stopped making the games I wanted. So I ended up playing Gran Turismo 5 and then 6 but now with the PS4 not many good racing games I want. I did play GTAV but I'm bored of it now because as soon as the money and xp are gone everybody goes offline and nobody does contact missions anymore.

Did you not try Driveclub @Latvija27 ? Still seems to be active on the online side and the physics aren't half-bad plus the atmosphere is quite involving. Dirt cheap now, of course.

Did you not try Driveclub @Latvija27 ? Still seems to be active on the online side and the physics aren't half-bad plus the atmosphere is quite involving. Dirt cheap now, of course.

I think I saw on YouTube that Driveclub was meant to be part of the PSPlus free games and I aimed to pick it up but then another video said they changed the line up so instead I'm going to get WRC5.

I think I saw on YouTube that Driveclub was meant to be part of the PSPlus free games and I aimed to pick it up but then another video said they changed the line up so instead I'm going to get WRC5.
Just so you know there is a huge difference between WRC5 and Driveclub - aside from one being a rally title, it is by a very small studio and it's their first driving game. DC to buy is £12 on the PS Store and probably another £12 for the season pass and it has a lot of content by a far bigger studio. have a look at the threads in the DC forum here. They are worlds apart.

Back