Playstation 3

• Thread starter venzent
  • 20 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a rumor or what. Just heard something about the new playstation 3 Sony is talking about. Not a faster processor in it, but making use of Distributing Computing, (binding the consoles together over a network) claiming its gonna be 1000 faster then the ps2. Anyone else heard something about it??????

Well, that's an interesting concept that is used quite regularly in big business, but tends to be rather difficult with games because the developers don't really know how to make it efficient enough to gain from it.

Here's an article: http://news.com.com/2100-1040-866288.html

Distributed "anything" is always a bonus if it's done well.

~LoudMusic

Yup - I've heard 'bout it. I've tracked down a couple of good articles about it in the past. I'll have to find 'em.

The Coles Notes version is: Sony and IBM and Toshiba have partnered to develop the "Cell technology" - this would allow all the PS3's processors to work together as one big processor (in theory). A number of small (?? likely the wrong name) projects such as SETI@home http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ and uhh... United Devices cancer research http://www.ud.com

The theory is sound, however, alot of concerns come to mind from a technological standpoint, forget about the security/privacy standpoint.

Check out these links for some additional info:

http://www-916.ibm.com/press/prnews.nsf/jan/FFBB4B222F4DBFE585256A0D0056C7AC

or

http://www.coremagazine.com/news/5740.php3

Or just search for Sony +CELL -phone :)

Well, SETI@home and Distributed.net aren't quite what the gaming industry has in mind. Those are "high latency distributed systems" where it doesn't matter how long a task takes to be completed. They're wanting something more like a Beowolf cluster where each node (computer/console) is networked in high speed and the system can respond as if the processors were all in the same computer. The software is all custom to the node and it becomes difficult to add and drop units in real time. They're making lots of progress but it's still not rock solid.

Google actually uses a hybrid of the two distributed computing methods. They have successfully "cached the entire Internet" with a server room of thousands of individual disposable Linux boxes that work together to server pages and do searches. It's like the distributed.net model in that one computer works on a single task, but like a beowolf cluster because a central server makes sure the tasks are getting done in real time.

It's good stuff. I think the gaming industry is a good place to test bed the theory. Eventually when homes begin having 'home server' situations with several personal computers around the house, you'll see more of this sort of thing. Another good use for these methods of distributed computing is at large corporations. They have thousands of highend workstations that do nothing from 5pm to 8am, but they also own million-dollar number-crunching servers that do all the accounting and database munching at night. If someone could write a simple client application that made use of all those workstations (security and reliablity garounteed) they could save big businesses billions of dollars.

~LoudMusic

Hear that they changed the name of the processor?
WAS: CELL
NOW: Grid

Grid????
Cell sounds better.

Loud Music,

Wow - excellent response. To be quite honest with you, I didn't do *alot* of research on it so I just grabbed a couple of the links that I've seen in passing.

Good point about the high latency - I was thinking more along the lines of a number of processors, all working towards a common goal - not necessarily whether that was a good example of the "Cell".

The one thing I didn't want to try and explain was a cluster - good example. :)

Its cell fools ....SERIOUS BUMP!!!!1!!11one!!!1 4GHz isn't slow buddy but I know this was posted 4 years ago

F089/H
Its cell fools ....SERIOUS BUMP!!!!1!!11one!!!1 4GHz isn't slow buddy but I know this was posted 4 years ago

This thread is 3 years old. :dunce:

Nobody knew it back then!

I find it cool that their doing something similar to that origional idea, with the cell chip. Running multiple processors on one chip or something like that.

Same as what Duck said...

And if this was recently moved to the PS2 forums, shouldn't it be on the PS3 forums? :scared: :scared:

Well anyway... can't wait for the next gen GT, Enthusia, TOCA3...👍 👍

Wow, atteiros, did you realize that this thread was made in 2002? There was NO forum for PS3 back then.

[EDIT] This will probably be closed anyway, so who cares?

HACKr
Wow, atteiros, did you realize that this thread was made in 2002? There was NO forum for PS3 back then.

Oh but I did... :sly: That's why I quoted Duck up there... well more like referred to Duck's post that is... Then someone also posted that this was recently moved... or at least that's what I got from the posts...

Other posts...
9 2005 1:52 PM

Apr 09 2005 12:13 PM
gt4racerca Why is this in the gt4 fourm????

Apr 09 2005 12:36 PM
dbartucci it's not, what are you talking about?

Apr 09 2005 1:41 PM
gt4racerca Lol it was this morning my friend.

Which would mean it was in the GT4 forums and moved to the PS2 forums on the morning of Apr 09 2005 1:41 PM which means that the PS3 forums were already there... which brought me to say...

atteiros...
And if this was recently moved to the PS2 forums, shouldn't it be on the PS3 forums?:scared: :scared:

Well, Like you said...
HACKr

👍 👍

Reported. Active PS3 thread link in my signature, if you need it.

capture150vc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back