PlayStation 5 Sells Another 3.3 Million Units, Still Matching PlayStation 4

• Thread starter Famine
  • 32 comments
I'm surprised, I figured with Xbox actually showing up this generation it would slow Sony's success but now I stand corrected. I still think you get more bang for your buck with the Series consoles.

PlayStation 5, what’s that? Is that some unicorn of some sort? I’ve never seen one in any store, ever!!! Maybe 3 million of them are sitting on ships waiting to be unloaded!!!
From the article ''the PS5’s numbers are “sell-through” (sales to end consumers).'' so they're not on ships... scalpers on the other hand 🤔.

Although I've had mine since release day :D.

Yeah and still can't get any available on Amazon and other stores. Quite the bummer. I'd still love to get one and would buy once becomes readily available but refuse to run down and buy at scalpers' prices. Thank God my PS 4 Slim still running strong. I'd go crazy otherwise.

I do wonder how much the scalper problem might be overstated though.
A lot - but at the same time it's still pretty annoying.

Estimates put the early US market at a scalping rate of about 10-15%, while the UK market was nearer to 5%. That's two of the biggest markets, averaging out to about 10%, and if we assume that's representative globally it means about 1.3m consoles sold have initially gone to people reselling them (or taking them to CEX, who were offering 10-20% over RRP for trade-ins; good going, guys).

However that assumes that the problem is constant. In reality, as more consoles have become available, scalping is becoming less and less profitable, so it has become less of an issue over time. 10% in the first two quarters is probably a safe assumption (so 740k consoles), but it's likely far less now. We can probably assume that it's around a million consoles globally.

We're likely to see the problem increase again slightly towards Christmas (got to get little Billy his PS5 for yelling racist and homophobic abuse at people in Call of Duty), but supply seems to be improving too - there's more and more stock drops of both consoles right now. Sony needs it to as well, as Q3 is the big one.

Remember when PS4 was coming out and the media was like “everyone is over consoles”
This.

It always amazes me how they don't seem to realize people don't usually cross-shop PCs/consoles, which is also why the Xbox Series sells well despite Microsoft's more aggressive multiplatform strategy.

Now with streaming some people are declaring the death of console yet again. Louder voices from the sides which are betting on streaming. I don't expect them to be right at all.

I don't see Gran Turismo's (nor Forza Motorsport's, nor similar games') players dropping their hardware for streaming in the short term, taking into account input lag and precision. Maybe not even long term.

A lot - but at the same time it's still pretty annoying.

Estimates put the early US market at a scalping rate of about 10-15%, while the UK market was nearer to 5%. That's two of the biggest markets, averaging out to about 10%, and if we assume that's representative globally it means about 1.3m consoles sold have initially gone to people reselling them (or taking them to CEX, who were offering 10-20% over RRP for trade-ins; good going, guys).

However that assumes that the problem is constant. In reality, as more consoles have become available, scalping is becoming less and less profitable, so it has become less of an issue over time. 10% in the first two quarters is probably a safe assumption (so 740k consoles), but it's likely far less now. We can probably assume that it's around a million consoles globally.

We're likely to see the problem increase again slightly towards Christmas (got to get little Billy his PS5 for yelling racist and homophobic abuse at people in Call of Duty), but supply seems to be improving too - there's more and more stock drops of both consoles right now. Sony needs it to as well, as Q3 is the big one.
Scalpers are actually having to make a loss on their consoles because people simply refused to bite on the hiked prices, they're losing around 30% on each unit according to StockX.

Still haven't seen a PS5 at any stores myself, and I don't even have a PS4.

I wonder if GT7 is good enough for me to finally look for a PS5.

Last edited:
I’ve given up on getting a PS5, for now. Have yet to see one on the shelves. The option to be able to put my name on a waiting list has been removed on release day pretty much everywhere.

Since I don’t suffer from FoMo, I figured that I might just as well patiently wait.

I’m expecting to comfortably getting my hands on one possibly mid or late 2023 at best.

Last edited:
Do you have a link for that? I had a look and found this but they are all selling over £500 - https://stockx.com/electronics/playstation/ps5
Last month in Forbes:

I mean sure, scalpers will still list them at those prices you've found, but ultimately they'll get trolled via fake bids and ultimately have to sell at 70% of the RRP.

There's another report I've read which talks about the losses being made by the scalpers, but I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:
Last month in Forbes:

I mean sure, scalpers will still list them at those prices you've found, but ultimately they'll get trolled via fake bids and ultimately have to sell at 70% of the RRP.

There's another report I've read which talks about the losses being made by the scalpers, but I can't seem to find it.
That article say the resale price has dropped 30% from what it was, but it's still over RRP.

PS5 prices on the secondary market StockX have tumbled by almost 30% since their peak according to new data. The company explained to me that after hitting $1,000 on Cyber Weekend 2020 for the disc version, the console has since dropped to $715 in September. This is also 10% less than the price in June.

The digital edition also peaked at $1000 on Cyber Weekend 2020 and is now selling for just under $700, which is 6% cheaper than three months ago. Both remain significantly more expensive than their retail price at $499 (disc) and $399 (digital).

PlayStation 5, what’s that? Is that some unicorn of some sort? I’ve never seen one in any store, ever!!! Maybe 3 million of them are sitting on ships waiting to be unloaded!!!
Agree, same story here in Italy, no way to buy PS5 in the shops, no way to buy online. Maybe Sony dreams to sell 3.3 milions of PS5.

Maybe Sony dreams to sell 3.3 milions of PS5.
Interesting that you're banging this drum again...

Come on!! When did they sell 7.8 milion of PS5? Stores haven't had ps5 in stock for months. I will never believe it, they are nonsense numbers. Maybe they dream to sell........
So the one I bought in March doesn't exist?

There's been plenty in stores, they just sell out quickly. I understand that the UK February/March stock drop accounted for 120,000 consoles - and that was just in the UK. Scaled up to Europe that'd be nearly 700k, and the USA would have roughly the same number - so 1.4m.

If the January stock drop was the same magnitude, that's 2.8m consoles, without mentioning any other market. Sony's 3.3m seems pretty close to that.

Sony had ~5m consoles shipped for launch, and claim 4.5m sales in that seven week period (and I got one then too). That seems pretty close too.

I don't see any reason for disbelief.
You don't seem to understand that these are retailer numbers - actual consoles sold by shops to consumers - not shipments from Sony to retailers.

Store shelves aren't relevant either. They're selling online.

You don't seem to understand that these are retailer numbers - actual consoles sold by shops to consumers - not shipments from Sony to retailers.

Store shelves aren't relevant either. They're selling online.

More impressive number than PS4 era which was consoles shipped to retailers (although we can assume PS4s didn't remain long in stock).

But the point remains: we have all these news of PC this, PC that, Sony rebranding their multiplat publishing company as "PlayStation PC", but... consoles keep selling well. Faster than before. To me this tells there's not much migration between PC and console. Which is expected, as the new consoles have incredible PPD ratio compared to PCs. If I had a GTX 1060 (most of Steam) I'd be seriously considering a new console rather than an upgrade. That card is PS4 Pro level and, from what I could experience, the PS5 absolutely embarrasses the PS4 Pro.

If nobody was interested in them, we'd be seeing discounts on PS5 and XSX, not scalping!

Back