PlayStation 5 Showcase Will Reveal More on September 16

Sony never really made their money back in console sales alone. They tried in 2006 with ps3 prices. They sell their consoles at a loss and make it back in software and services. They can launch ps5 at 299$ and still make money. They aint losing any money with ps now and ps plus its mostly all gain.

Yes they do lose money on consoles, no big deal but to maintain profitability there will be a limit to what they can sell the machine for. They will want to get the payback in say, 2 years. if they are taking a 200 loss on the machine and on average (via game sales etc) they make back 50 a year it makes the figures hard to work with. If they only take a 100 loss on average each machine is in profit in 2 years.

So, yes, take a loss but keep it in check with an aim to recoup it in a given timescale.

Sony never really made their money back in console sales alone. They tried in 2006 with ps3 prices. They sell their consoles at a loss and make it back in software and services. They can launch ps5 at 299$ and still make money. They aint losing any money with ps now and ps plus its mostly all gain.

The PS3 was actually sold at a huge loss at launch and for many years after. It cost $840 per unit to make and was sold for $600. That's why they desperately tried to cut features to bring the initial loss down to a more reasonable level. I think they only made a small profit when the super slim came along.

I hope for GT7 with full PSVR support at launch :)
Whilst PS4 PSVR will be supported on PS5, I can't imagine for a moment that any PS5 native games will support PSVR. Given that the new controllers do not have the LED lights for motion tracking, it is clear Sony has a completely new VR platform planned.

Whilst PS4 PSVR will be supported on PS5, I can't imagine for a moment that any PS5 native games will support PSVR. Given that the new controllers do not have the LED lights for motion tracking, it is clear Sony has a completely new VR platform planned.

The glowing halo around the trackpad on the DualSense is apparently the new tracking light.

Love how they set the picture with a dark tone. :lol:They must have been hearing all the folks saying how they wish they could get a PS5 in black. I think it looks alright in white, I've had a black console for 3 generations now, time for a change.

Also, there no way they are ending this showcase without a date and price

Considering everything else including the shelves is black, the white will look odd. Black is a good color for electronics. I'm sure somebody will ask: didn't they have a black option or was it sold out.

Sitll with the 'popped collar' look. I'll wait for another model version that's slightly less awful.

Popped-collar.jpg

I was thinking about the event... how much they can show in 40 minutes?

Like... the June event was 1 hour and ~20 minutes. We had a lot of content on that one.

Now, i have no idea if they gonna talk about the pricing and console specs, but that don't leave too much time for the games, right?

I wish we could have 39 min and 50 seconds of games, with the last 10s being the price announcement. Put the rest in a blog post :lol:

I was thinking about the event... how much they can show in 40 minutes?

Like... the June event was 1 hour and ~20 minutes. We had a lot of content on that one.

Now, i have no idea if they gonna talk about the pricing and console specs, but that don't leave too much time for the games, right?

I wish we could have 39 min and 50 seconds of games, with the last 10s being the price announcement. Put the rest in a blog post :lol:

In all honesty, we already know so much about the specs and they know this. They know the people tuning in want to see games not specs and hardware we already know. They might recap but it'll be a minute tops. Price will be the final minute as an announcement to cap it off with the release date and preorders.

I think the longest they'll linger on hardware is reiterating the digital version makes no compromises but nothing more. I expect this to be a game showcase personally. With developers talking a bit about the controllers haptic engine and how they're implementing that.

What I'd like to see (may or may not be realistic)

Price and release date obviously.
Goes without saying that this is essential tonight. I expect a £449 and £399 set of price points. With a later launch than the Xbox.

The actual launch lineup.
With Microsoft having a distinctly unimpressive launch lineup, and pushing their service side. This is Sony's opportunity to really get a head start. A launch lineup with 2-3 exclusives covering a few popular genres would be a massive win for them.

Some new exclusives we haven't seen.

I don't feel we have seen everything they have to offer in the short term. Be it Triple A or whatever, a surprise announcement or 2 is always nice, bonus points if one of them is a launch title.

WRC9 running on PS5.

This is a specific one, but WRC9 has been out on current gen consoles for a week or so now, and it is excellent. This would be a great showcase for what to expect from an updated game standpoint. Highlight where the extra power is going and can be used and maybe even a side by side comparison.

Clarification on backwards compatibility.

It's in Sony's best interests to really nail this down once and for all. Whether it's a strong proposition or a weak one. Just make it absolute and make it clear. What is and isn't backwards compatible in the absolute simplest of terms. A lot of people's intentions to preorder and purchase may rest on the finer details of this. Especially with gsmes that won't be getting next gen upgrades.

More actual gameplay showcases.

If there has been a criticism of the shows so far its been the lack of real gameplay. So close to launch I expect to see some good doses of gameplay. Not just in engine rendering.

Gran Turismo 7
This game has been in development for so long, I think it is reasonable to expect GT7 so have an extended feature in the show. Its one of Sony's biggest brands and come December it will have been 7 years since the last main series release, making it the longest gap between main series entries since GT4 to GT5 (6 years). So they will want to show it off and show what the PS5 can do, show that Gran Turismo is back in a big way. And then send the collective gaming world into meltdown by announcing it as a launch title. It seems unlikely but given its development time, the absolute lack of information despite having what looked like a polished build to show last time out. What better way to send people into a frenzy of desire than by showing off an incredible next gen experience and then announcing it as a launch title.

We all need to remember though, that with streaming an event like this, we're never going to be able to get the full experience of qhats being shown through the compression and lack of native ability on certain apps. So remember not to get too punchy and disappointed if the graphics you see on stream don't live up to expectation.

I wouldn't expect GT7 to be a centrepoint, even if it is there for launch. I think they will be pushing ratchet & clank and the spiderman game as launch titles. Remember it was only unveiled at the last showcase. Gut feel is its not a launch game.

Apparently there are some hints that God Of War will be featured, might be a launch title ? There was also stuff hinted at for the last showcase that didn't appear, so there could be new announcements.

I wouldn't expect to see much of the WRC game, Sony will be concentrating on new stuff - remember they like their generational hops, so showing a game already on current gen via compressed video will get comments of "it doesn't look any different" etc. Probably be included as a part of "look what else is available this year" with cyberpunk etc.

Woooo give me Uncharted 5 and a new Wipeout please. Both seem far-fetched, but one can hope.
A new WipEout for the PS5, built from the ground up, with continuity after HD/Fury/Omega Collection would make me the happiest man in the world. Since Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis are gone, the Omega Collection was made by other Sony studios, so it can still be possible as Sony still owns the rights to the WipEout name and brand.

I wouldn't expect GT7 to be a centrepoint, even if it is there for launch. I think they will be pushing ratchet & clank and the spiderman game as launch titles. Remember it was only unveiled at the last showcase. Gut feel is its not a launch game.

Apparently there are some hints that God Of War will be featured, might be a launch title ? There was also stuff hinted at for the last showcase that didn't appear, so there could be new announcements.

I wouldn't expect to see much of the WRC game, Sony will be concentrating on new stuff - remember they like their generational hops, so showing a game already on current gen via compressed video will get comments of "it doesn't look any different" etc. Probably be included as a part of "look what else is available this year" with cyberpunk etc.

If GT7 is a launch title it will absolutely be a centre point. Gran Turismo 7 is far bigger than Ratchet and Clank and a Spiderman spin off. Its one of Sony's longest running franchises and its extremely powerful in its pull.

WRC9 would be a clever play by Sony to show a game that is already out and what it will offer over the current gen.

Like I said anyway, its more a wishlist of expectation rather than a reality.

A new WipEout for the PS5, built from the ground up, with continuity after HD/Fury/Omega Collection would make me the happiest man in the world. Since Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis are gone, the Omega Collection was made by other Sony studios, so it can still be possible as Sony still owns the rights to the WipEout name and brand.
I hope so! I am not sure how likely it is, but a PS5 Wipeout would be wonderful.

Pacer should fill the anti-gravity racing void for now (being made with some Wipeout 3 veterans, no less), which was supposed to launch on consoles tomorrow, September 17, but was pushed back unfortunately.

The games Sony chooses for these things make me feel like an outsider. At least I'm not disappointed, because I expected nothing to interest me.

Final Fantasy XVI was worth a look. I could possibly be swayed by seeing more -- it's an RPG, so a mostly cinematic trailer isn't a sin. I guess it depends on how much they've taken notes from Xenoblade, like they seemed to do for FFXV. :P

Back