PlayStation 5 Will Support Your PlayStation 4 Driving Wheels

For G29 case it's still not 100% sure, as said on the blog, ps5 will support but needs to be confirmed with the manufacturer.

It seems that Logitech will announce a new wheel, making me fear that they will make a move similar to the g27 -> g29. (drop support of the old to make only the new one work with the next gen).

I hope i am wrong and the g29 continues to work on ps5. :bowdown:

Last edited:
As long as my T150 still works...that'll be fantastic.

Truth be told, I ended up liking the motion sensor controls on the DS4 in GT Sport since I get more controlability and can make faster adjustments than with a wheel, despite the lack of any real feedback. Plus I don't wear my wheel down...but it's nice to still have the option to use older hardware.

Initially, I was going to wait until GT7 was released before getting a PS5. Now that I know all the hardware and most of the software will be compatible, I may take advantage of the early adopter trade in bonuses for PS4P.

For G29 case it's still not 100% sure, as said on the blog, ps5 will support but needs to be confirmed with the manufacturer.

It seems that Logitech will announce a new wheel, making me fear that they will make a move similar to the g27 -> g29. (drop support of the old to make only the new one work with the next gen).

I hope i am wrong and the g29 continues to work on ps5. :bowdown:

Man, if Logitech pull a stunt like that, they'll be dead to me. How grateful I am to Collective Minds for the drivehub. G27 still working just fine.

Man, if Logitech pull a stunt like that, they'll be dead to me. How grateful I am to Collective Minds for the drivehub. G27 still working just fine.

They can't stop developers from supporting it. All the devs need to do is send it the right data over USB and while an official Logitech SDK helps speed up the development process, it's by no means a roadblock if Logitech don't release one for the PS5 - Hell the PS4 and PS5 architectures are binary compatible so the existing PS4 SDK will probably work without much fiddling.

I will need to get a new wheel eventually if I buy a PS5. I'm still using the G27.

I hope we still get a new wheel for PS5, though. Specifically from Thrustmaster.

I have a T300RS, but I want to upgrade to something next gen. Not upgrade to an old wheel.

I was a serious critic of the forced incompatibility issue when PS4 launched. And, I have to say hats off to the Japanese company this time around; it's the right decision from a customer loyalty point of view as well as a business point of view. I suspect that most people who buy a PS4 & who can simply carry on using their existing wheels are probably gonna buy a lot of driving games for it over the lifecycle of the platform. Great decision guys, thank you!

:cheers:

Amen. Been anxiously waiting for this news.
One thing though, what about pedals? Eg: Fanatec CS V3 pedals?
I answered this on the Fanatec forum but I'll put it here too:

PS4 (and PS5) compatibility depends on the wheel base. In our range, there are two PS4/PS5-compatible wheel bases:

• The Podium Wheel Base "DD1 PS4" (only available as part of the Podium Racing Wheel F1 package)
  • The CSL Elite Wheel Base + (available in multiple packages, including the CSL Elite Racing Wheel and CSL Elite F1 Set)
When you use one of these bases, any* Fanatec peripheral you attach to it will also become PS4/PS5 compatible. So that includes all our pedals.

*there are a couple of exceptions in terms of steering wheels, mainly due to current firmware limitations, please check the individual steering wheel product pages for details.

I answered this on the Fanatec forum but I'll put it here too:

PS4 (and PS5) compatibility depends on the wheel base. In our range, there are two PS4/PS5-compatible wheel bases:

• The Podium Wheel Base "DD1 PS4" (only available as part of the Podium Racing Wheel F1 package)
  • The CSL Elite Wheel Base + (available in multiple packages, including the CSL Elite Racing Wheel and CSL Elite F1 Set)
When you use one of these bases, any* Fanatec peripheral you attach to it will also become PS4/PS5 compatible. So that includes all our pedals.

*there are a couple of exceptions in terms of steering wheels, mainly due to current firmware limitations, please check the individual steering wheel product pages for details.
Thanks again Dominic. This certainly helps me with what I wanted to know for quite a while. Cheers.

Thank you so much PD and Sony!!! Since I only got a PS4 and wheel end of 2019, I was betting on the fact that my wheel would be compatible with next gen consoles (a little stupid, but still), so this is a relief!

Last edited:
Back