PlayStation Just Revealed "Project Q", a New Mobile Gaming Device

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 59 comments
Glad we sorted out the litige about Wifi at home only and from remote access point.
But then the question is input and lag in such a case

I don't think I understand the need of this....why wouldn't I just remote play with my iPhone or iPad?
I've used the controller with my iPad and I assume I could connect it to my iPhone.
Why would I pay $200 for the Portal?
So you do it on a device that only works with things Sony wants you to use it with instead.

Last edited:
It does not. Remote Play can wake the console up from standby. It doesn't need to be actually on.
leaving your PS5 on stand bye for a day at the office is not ideal, and doing so whilst on holiday for example would make any ecological responsible person baulk. I love Sony and their products but I will pass on this, if I was a controller user maybe, but the associated stick drift from repeated hard use would probably make it useless. I am excited about the pulse elite however

I'm sure someone will find the appeal in something like this, but this is not for me. Mainly because I already have my PS5 in my bedroom, so I don't really need this.

I guess it would be nice if I had to be out of my room for some reason like having dinner with my family, but even then; I don't feel withdrawn to be pulled away from my console for a couple of hours.

To be honest, I wish they would just make a successor to the PSP and Vita. I know why they wouldn't, but I wished they did regardless.

Last edited:
leaving your PS5 on stand bye for a day at the office is not ideal, and doing so whilst on holiday for example would make any ecological responsible person baulk.
The PS5 uses only about 0.2W more in standby than when turned off (if left plugged in) - around 1.5W. That would equate to 13.1kWh per year, which is pretty broadly what a chest freezer consumes in a month, or what an electric car needs to drive approximately 40 miles. Merely turning the PS5 off but leaving it plugged in would still require 11.4kWh per year; unplugging it, of course, consumes zero electricity.

For reference, my solar panels generated 16kWh today, or enough to power the PS5 in standby for close to 15 months.

The PS5 uses only about 0.2W more in standby than when turned off (if left plugged in) - around 1.5W. That would equate to 13.1kWh per year, which is pretty broadly what a chest freezer consumes in a month, or what an electric car needs to drive approximately 40 miles. Merely turning the PS5 off but leaving it plugged in would still require 11.4kWh per year; unplugging it, of course, consumes zero electricity.

For reference, my solar panels generated 16kWh today, or enough to power the PS5 in standby for close to 15 months.
Glad to read the figures, reassured also. I disconnect all my equipment including the dedicated router when not racing and as the portal does not offer me anything I need, it is still a pass for me. Thank you for your prompt reply.

Hackers rejoice as people connect to notoriously insecure public wifi and willingly broadcast their login details for Playstation Network, which has already suffered high profile security breaches in the past. "It's like Sony is doing all the work for us now", one was quoted as saying while adjusting the drawstrings of their black hoodie.

I like this, can use the PS5 while the wife watches tv. Sure could do with an ipad and controller but it's a bit of hassle compared to holding both together like a Switch. Will very likely get one.

We're still in the middle of energy price strangulation on our finances - and Sony responds to this by making a device that requires you to leave the PS5 on to be able to game on it. Whilst also having the router powered up of course.

It does not. Remote Play can wake the console up from standby. It doesn't need to be actually on.
I took this as more as that when you need to play with the device, you also need your PS5 on. In which case I can see his point, with a Vita or switch you just have the consumption of the device. In some cases with this you could have the PS5 on, your home network on, a phone in hotspot mode and the device on.

While it is hardly the least effective electronic device ever and I expect its consumption to be less than a Switch or Steam deck, the total power consumed is ridiculous, especially if you are just playing a single player offline game. Which from my experience of Sony's remote play is all it is good for as the input lag is too high for online games.

EDIT: I've just checked some numbers, the Switch and Steam deck max out at around 15-20W. The PS5 is 200W, WiFi routers average a 6W and can peak at 20W. So it's using 10x the power! If you play for 4 hours a week on it by the end of the year it will cost around £10 more to own.

Last edited:

Actual model PS5 Standby consumption is 0.38W
But if you activate the internet connection necessary for remote activation it goes up to 1.2W and if power to USB ports is active it goes up to 4W

With everything active in standby consumes 4.2W

So if I did go for a dedicated streamer (rather keeping my Backbone/getting a Kishi or just connecting Dualsense via BT), it's looking like this vs the G Cloud.

This has (probably) the better controls, is about £100 cheaper and has a bigger screen, but locked to PS (barring some post-release hacks).
The Cloud can do xCloud and other stuff as well, and has better battery life.

Actual model PS5 Standby consumption is 0.38W
But if you activate the internet connection necessary for remote activation it goes up to 1.2W and if power to USB ports is active it goes up to 4W

With everything active in standby consumes 4.2W

There's four sets of numbers presented there for various PS5 console types (EMEA launch, EMEA launch digital, EMEA 2022, EMEA 2022 digital), but you've only referred to the first one... Of course there are over a dozen different SKUs now.

Independent testing from consumer groups like Which? average out at 1.3W for standby and - relevant to the need for Remote Play - 1.5W for standby with internet connection. As you don't need to have anything else connected for Remote Play, this is the figure to refer to if "ecological responsible": PS5 in standby only for Remote Play. That 1.5W is the number I used for my calculations, so even if you have stuff plugged into the USBs and it triples, you're still looking at four PS5s consuming less than one small chest freezer.

Of course it shoots up to a couple hundred once you start playing stuff; the numbers reported by PlayStation on your link and by groups like Which? are pretty close, both at only just over 200W while in "active gaming".

PS5 is in our lounge (No other TVs) and the Wife and Daughter love their shows (all the time) so this looks like a win for me. Now I wont have an excuse to clean the cars, mow the lawn or clear the blocked drains. BONUS!!

Releases Nov 15th. Direct preorders from Sony are open.

I’ll redirect my PS Plus money towards something a bit more (personally) useful

IMG_3774.jpeg

I think I'll be getting one as well. The ability to play the PS5 without actually having to sit in front of it is such a big win for me that I don't mind shelling out the 220 quid for it. I think the absence of bluetooth connectivity is really anti-consumer of Sony, but since I'm never going to use the device with a headset anyway I won't have to shell out another 150 to 200 bucks for one of the proprietary audio devices supporting PlayStation Link.

I think the PlayStation Link thing is an aspect highly worth pointing out since a lot of people probably assume that their existing Pulse 3D Wireless Headset is going to be compatible with the device.

Last edited:
Must admit I’m tempted, I’ll wait for the prices to fall a little and also the reviews to come in before jumping on one.

As for Bluetooth, I might pick up one of these from RHA and use the 3.5mm jack instead.

IMG_9835.jpeg

That way I can still use my Sony wireless headphones.

I don't think I understand the need of this....why wouldn't I just remote play with my iPhone or iPad?
I've used the controller with my iPad and I assume I could connect it to my iPhone.
Why would I pay $200 for the Portal?
Yes...I quoted myself....

The only use case for me would be being able to switch accounts like I am on the PS5 without logging out and logging in with other account with Remote Play (first world problem).

Do we know if this will be possible?

Pre-orders went live in most countries for retailers other than Sony Direct. It sold out quite quickly on a lot of sites but big ones like Amazon may still have stock.

Incredibly dumb that the Sony wireless earbuds (the only wireless ones that will work with it) aren’t even releasing until weeks after the portal is out.

Last edited:
IMG_3972.jpeg

IMG_3976.jpeg

IMG_3978.jpeg

Rock solid resolution and frame rate, would not know it was streaming. Sticks are a bit different from the Dualsense but so nice to have proper triggers for mobile gaming.

Seems to be a pretty popular product. Reports on Twitter say it’s sold out in the UK and my delivery guy was asking what it was, he had about 20 in the van just for his local route.

Last edited:
@Fezzik

How do you like it so far?
Can you indulge me in a few more questions?

1. In GT7, do you have to use the sticks to steer or does it have ability to use like the DS5 motion steering?
2. For multiple accounts, can you easily switch accounts as if I was on the PS5 itself?
3. Also GT7 related...how normal does it feel when using the livery editor?
4. Last one....If you have used Remote Play on an iPad or iPhone, how does it compare? Does it feel the same or works better (or worse)?

I still have doubts about it but I am always down for new tech.....

Last edited:
I’m still reading, in Australia, wherewhenwhyandhow the PULSE earbuds are $329AUD(same price as the PSP).

1. It has motion steering but I haven’t tried it yet.

2. Not easy. You have to disconnect Remote Play, log out of the Portal and log back in on the 2nd account, then reconnect. So dumb.

3. Don’t use the livery editor other than searching for other peoples work, so can’t help there specifically. There shouldn’t be any difference, all the controls and the game are identical to playing on TV, just possibly at a lower resolution if you’re used to 4K.

4. I’ve previously used Remote Play (and Xbox Cloud) on my iPhone/iPad/iMac, either pairing the Dualsense or with a Backbone. This feels like the most optimised solution. There is less latency with the controller being fully integrated to the device and the stream appears to be a lot more stable. I’m not getting the drops in resolution and frame rate that would occur before. Likely because the tablet here isn’t doing anything else, it just has a light OS, no other apps or processes. Haven't used a G Cloud/Steam Deck or either of the 3rd party Remote Play apps, so can't comment on the experience vs those.

The smaller sticks take a bit of getting used to but after that it is just like having a handheld 1080p/60fps PS5. I’ve won races in GT7, completed several missions in Cyberpunk, no problems at all.

From reports on resetera it does seem like a bit of a lottery how well it works with your own specific network. I’ve been lucky I guess.

Last edited:
Managed to order one for pickup 11/28, they've been sold out since release, had one saved on BestBuy and I checked just before midnight and they were available, added to cart checked out in 30 seconds.

I have a full sim-racing rig but climbing in and out of it for a casual session with other games is a hassle (boo-hoo I know). I tried a Asus ROG Ally but returned it after a week. The Ally has a nice screen, and it's fast, but the software updates every day. Every game required custom control mapping, it just wasn't something to just grab and play.

Researched the Switch and Steam Deck, both are ready for new versions, but not till next year. They both have OLED versions available, but starting cost is almost double a Portal. The Portal screen is only LCD but it's bigger at 8", and reported to be bright and runs at 60fps.

The Portal not having Bluetooth is a negative, but Sony does headsets very well. Plus the Portal is the only one for GT7 (maybe not) :)

I tried remote play on my iPad and it worked quite well, but I'd rather use a PS5 controller.

Last edited:
The Steam Deck is $150 more than the PS Portal, but you can remote play PS4, PS5, Xbox and the Steam library on your gaming PC, as well as play games on the plane or in the middle of nowhere. The PS Portal becomes a paperweight once you don’t have a wifi connection.

IMG_8078.jpeg

Last edited:
Back