PlayStation VR GT Sport Bundle Drops to $199

Where'd you get that PS VR shot of GT Sport with multiple cars in VR mode? I was sure that it was limited to 1 vs 1 since launch, did they update it or something? That's a naff price for PS VR, wondering if I should grab one, it will finally give me a physical copy of GT Sport to collect.

In my experience PSVR with GT Sport makes me want to vomit within two laps. This was a trial at a Sony booth and has fortunately saved me from spending anything on PSVR. The graphics were pretty poor too. Felt like 640x480 on a big screen - jaggies everywhere.

Where'd you get that PS VR shot of GT Sport with multiple cars in VR mode? I was sure that it was limited to 1 vs 1 since launch, did they update it or something? That's a naff price for PS VR, wondering if I should grab one, it will finally give me a physical copy of GT Sport to collect.

I don't think it's a VR screen capture.
It's just an In car shot from a Non-VR race.

@WyldAnimal beat me to it — an in-car shot just seemed more appropriate for the article's featured image (so cheers, @MeanElf!).

that $199.99 price point is for the 1st Generation VR Headset. (and it includes a copy of GT Sport )

I paid close to $600 for my 1st Generation Headset.
GTS looks really good on it. Much Better than Drive ClubVR, and Just as good if not superior to Dirt Rally VR

If your New to VR, this is a Great Deal, even if it is the older 1st Gen Headset.

info on the 2nd Gen PSVR headsets
The 1st Gen Headset Doesn't support HDR, or HDR pass through to your HDR TV.
( I added an A-B HDMI switch. A send the Video to the VR, B sends it to my TV, this way, I don't have to Swap cables when I want to use HDR )

The New, 2nd Generation VR Head sets support HDR in the VR headset, plus a few other updates.
HDR Pass through is also supported, No more Cable swaps or switch boxes.
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...d-playstation-vr-hdr-support-improved-cabling

that $199.99 price point is for the 1st Generation VR Headset. (and it includes a copy of GT Sport )

I paid close to $600 for my 1st Generation Headset.
GTS looks really good on it. Much Better than Drive ClubVR, and Just as good if not superior to Dirt Rally VR

If your New to VR, this is a Great Deal, even if it is the older 1st Gen Headset.

info on the 2nd Gen PSVR headsets
The 1st Gen Headset Doesn't support HDR, or HDR pass through to your HDR TV.
( I added an A-B HDMI switch. A send the Video to the VR, B sends it to my TV, this way, I don't have to Swap cables when I want to use HDR )

The New, 2nd Generation VR Head sets support HDR in the VR headset, plus a few other updates.
HDR Pass through is also supported, No more Cable swaps or switch boxes.
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...d-playstation-vr-hdr-support-improved-cabling

Oh it's old gen, no thanks. I'll get the newer one, no point in going backwards to go forwards a year or two later(there's already a lot of cabling around my HT and TV and consoles). Sony should have quietly phased that old gen PS VR non HDR thing out, but I guess they might as well make money of it for those who can care less about HDR. Thanks for the input. Does anyone know if PC2 supports PS VR across the board?

What!? That's not true.

The 2nd generation PlayStation VR set does not support HDR. The only difference is that its processing unit allows for HDR passthrough, which is completely different.

A simple HDMI splitter/switch will do the trick and you're much better with a version 1 set and those $200 in your pocket.

I didn't think he meant you see HDR, just that like you said, the box supports passthru.

I like that I can take my earbuds off quickly with my original headset, I wouldnt want guests sticking my earbuds in their ears uuue.

People probably dont realise that PSVR can be used on PC too with a cheap $10 bit of software.
So pretty much any PC game can be played in VR, I've even seen people playing Richard Burns rally with it! So yes Project Cars 2 on PC could be played with it, but PC2 doesn't support VR on PS4.

If anyone has spent money on a wheel and hasnt jumped on PSVR and Dirt Rally VR yet, then they need to give their head a wobble.

In my experience PSVR with GT Sport makes me want to vomit within two laps. This was a trial at a Sony booth and has fortunately saved me from spending anything on PSVR. The graphics were pretty poor too. Felt like 640x480 on a big screen - jaggies everywhere.
I didn't have the vomiting issue but I'd agree that PSVR is the most underwhelming piece of tech I've ever seen. If it was free I wouldn't take it other than to resell it.

This is a funny package offer and limit of misleading since the part of GTSport playable in VR is very, very, very limited. Too bad, VR on PC with PCars 2, AC, R3E and RF2 is a great experience and a game changer.

I love my PSVR and find the GT Sport implementation to be quite immersive, if currently limited. I'm still holding out hope that they'll expand on it in the future. Oh, and they announced that all of Wipeout Omega will be getting the VR treatment next month and I'm ALL about that!

Just picked one up from Dell for $165 with express shipping. At that price couldn't resist, even though I already own GTS.

I didn't have the vomiting issue but I'd agree that PSVR is the most underwhelming piece of tech I've ever seen. If it was free I wouldn't take it other than to resell it.
Hmmm, my mate was dead against VR saying it's a fad and he couldn't go to low res after buying a 4 K tv. He bought one on black friday and now thinks it's the cats meow and already has 20 games for it.

Hmmm, my mate was dead against VR saying it's a fad and he couldn't go to low res after buying a 4 K tv. He bought one on black friday and now thinks it's the cats meow and already has 20 games for it.
He must live in a house surrounded by screen doors:lol:. I could take a small step back in resolution, like going from 1080p to 720p but this was far greater than that to my eyes. I only tried it for a couple of races at a demo kiosk in the mall and actually thought it was broken.

You only tried it for a couple races and decided it was the most underwhelming piece of tech you've ever seen? Didn't it cross your mind that one game might not be the best or a total representation of a system? I agree the PSVR has some limitations and one might need to lower expectations when checking it out but you should really give it another try, unless all you care about is GT Sport. If so you will be dissapointed because GT Sport is IMO not that great of a display of the tech.

I agree it has far more uses than GT Sport which is limited but very immersive as you can take every car out on all tracks. Those Rally tracks in an open Mazda roadster and big hills are my favourite.

The main benefits of this PSVR is that it is an affordable way in to VR if you already own a PS4. Some of the FPS or other games like Batman (the graphics are great) Rush of Blood on a rollercoaster shooting zombies, Driveclub, Dirt Rally, London Heist are my favourites.

The massive Widescreen 3D blu rays to watch. VR/3D You tube videos/ little star VR videos. All the demos and under sea are amazing.

I paid £399 ($500USD) in Oct16 and brought GT Sport full price. So all I can say is, that this price is a bargain even if V.01 without HDR pass through.

At the moment I am not a fan of any HDR in all the games I tried, It always makes my colours on my 4K tv go washed out and far too much contrast and any photo modes and colours go really strange! So I turn it off mostly in settings anyway and change to FULL RGB HDMI on the PS4 for much better colour range.

PSVR is the most underwhelming piece of tech I've ever seen. If it was free I wouldn't take it other than to resell it.
I would understand if you were saying that VR in general is still lacking and that we still need one or two generations more until it feels right. But saying that the PSVR, specifically, is the worst piece of tech ever is a bit unfair, I think.

In fact, at this price, I would risk saying it's the best price/quality VR set on the market right now.

I would understand if you were saying that VR in general is still lacking and that we still need one or two generations more until it feels right. But saying that the PSVR, specifically, is the worst piece of tech ever is a bit unfair, I think.

In fact, at this price, I would risk saying it's the best price/quality VR set on the market right now.
What's unfair about it? PSVR is first and foremost a visual medium. Relative to other visual medium this is by far the most backwards piece of tech I can think of. It's like going back two generations of screen fidelity and watching it through a screen door just for the advantage of being able to move your head around. Some people are obviously ok with that trade off, for me it was atrocious.
You only tried it for a couple races and decided it was the most underwhelming piece of tech you've ever seen? Didn't it cross your mind that one game might not be the best or a total representation of a system? I agree the PSVR has some limitations and one might need to lower expectations when checking it out but you should really give it another try, unless all you care about is GT Sport. If so you will be dissapointed because GT Sport is IMO not that great of a display of the tech.
If I have to lower expectations that pretty much tells me it's going to be underwhelming doesn't it?

What's unfair about it? PSVR is first and foremost a visual medium. Relative to other visual medium this is by far the most backwards piece of tech I can think of. It's like going back two generations of screen fidelity and watching it through a screen door just for the advantage of being able to move your head around.
I still don't understand if you're talking specifically about PSVR or the whole VR technology in general... And that was exactly my point.

[EDIT] In case I wasn't clear enough:
It's more than fair to not like the VR experience, since the trade-off for the immersion is huge.
What I don't think it's fair is saying that the PSVR set is a lousy product, when it's actually good value compared to the competition.

Some people are obviously ok with that trade off, for me it was atrocious.
hzEEiuUm.png

Last edited:
My girlfriend got me this 1st day it went on sale! I already have a Camera and GT Sport Steelbook so I'll just trade in the standard copy and my old camera for another game

I already have a Oculus Rift setup for pc but I may have to pick this up anyway. Rush of Blood and Resident Evil 7 alone in VR would make it worth the purchase price.

It's more than fair to not like the VR experience, since the trade-off for the immersion is huge.
What I don't think it's fair is saying that the PSVR set is a lousy product, when it's actually good value compared to the competition.
How's the quality of the product in comparison to the competition though? It's more than just a price subject, to be honest.

I'm not interested in VR whatsoever yet, be it this one, or the competition. I just don't think it's at a level that most tout it out to be, and so far just seems a bit gimmicky, especially with all the restrictions in place for games like GTS. I'd rather invest in a new TV, or different peripherals like a wheel or a nice gaming headset.

How's the quality of the product in comparison to the competition though? It's more than just a price subject, to be honest.

I'm not interested in VR whatsoever yet, be it this one, or the competition. I just don't think it's at a level that most tout it out to be, and so far just seems a bit gimmicky, especially with all the restrictions in place for games like GTS. I'd rather invest in a new TV, or different peripherals like a wheel or a nice gaming headset.

Honestly, I was like that until I demoed a Rift at Best Buy and most of my friends were like that until they tried my setup. For most people all it takes is one good session with a VR headset and they are hooked.

All it will take is one open wheel race in Pcars 2 where you tag the car in front of you and it goes flying over your head and you will be online looking at the best setup. :D *

*Obviously this is off topic and does not apply to PSVR.

Last edited:
Which is exactly why I was careful to always mention "price/quality" and "value (for money)".

Honestly, I was like that until I demoed a Rift at Best Buy and most of my friends were like that until they tried my setup. For most people all it takes is one good session with a VR headset and they are hooked.

All it will take is one open wheel race in Pcars 2 where you tag the car in front of you and it goes flying over your head and you will be online looking at the best setup. :D *

*Obviously this is off topic and does not apply to PSVR.
I don't deny that there could be fun found with it, I'm just saying I don't think it's at a point yet that I'd like it to be yet*, to be honest.

I only know of the trade-offs for GTS at the moment, not much other games.

Which is exactly why I was careful to always mention "price/quality" and "value (for money)".
Not knowing about the competition, that doesn't really answer my question.

I still don't understand if you're talking specifically about PSVR or the whole VR technology in general... And that was exactly my point.

[EDIT] In case I wasn't clear enough:

hzEEiuUm.png
Not sure what the confusion is because I specifically mentioned PSVR in my original response and this is a thread about PSVR. Also, I don't see any value in a product which I know I won't enjoy. It would be like saying, here is a free 720p TV, it's great value because it's free. Just like PSVR, I would never use it so there is zero value in it for me. Your experience may vary.

Back