Pleasantly surprised by GT physics vs IRL

yeah I took my car for a track day and handled very similarly to GT, everything from getting the rear sliding to the under steer on power. would expect nothing less of gran turismo. abs is represented very poorly however.

Sounds good to me!

When I went to a racing school a few years ago I was surprised how quickly I adopted to the car and could anticipate what it would do on the limit. I doubt I would have had that knowledge and ability to react properly if I hadn't played Gran Turismo.

Sounds good to me!

When I went to a racing school a few years ago I was surprised how quickly I adopted to the car and could anticipate what it would do on the limit. I doubt I would have had that knowledge and ability to react properly if I hadn't played Gran Turismo.

exactly how i felt. I wouldve been dead scared if it wasnt for this video game.
Driving line, braking points, and accelerator control... I owe it all to GT
By the end of it, i was taking some corners with little or no braking, just because i was so confident in my driving line. (i drove over 40 laps of that circuit)
A few more laps and i probably wouldve crashed.

Hello GTplanet,

So a couple of months ago i had the pleasure of driving a few cars, back to back, at a race track in EU.
namely a f430, gallardo, vanquish, 911 gt3, bmw m135...and a few more.

What really got me flabbergasted was that some cars actually somewhat responded and felt like they do in the game.

Especially the lambo, she had that tendency to go sideways on exit. scary car to drive fast.
The vantage was as dull as it is in the game. just not a competitor against the others.
The ferrari was beautiful, everybit as light and responsive as its GT counterpart. drove straight as an arrow. The sound in GT could be much better, especially downshifts.

Overall, I think GT does a great job in modeling their basic characteristics.
Have any of you gone through a similar experience?

Cant wait for the improvements gt7 will bring.

Then go play some of the better PC racing sims available today and you'll never look back at GT again.

Which apparently doesn't work for you either, since you're here, looking at GT.

Didn't realize I wasn't allowed to read a GT forum. Is reading a GT forum the same as playing GT?

I have all the racing Sims and prefer to play GT6 everyday

There's always one of YOU out there. I expect that.

Man...too much work, its a whole new setup.
Playstation is much more convenient.
Plus GT is good enough for me

Understood, and fair enough explanation.

Do you have a video for us to see? That would be great!

I actually do. I paid to get a video inside the porsche. its a HUGE file. 450mb or something.
Itll take too much out of my old comp to reduce resolution.

I took plenty of pics. Lemme resize and add some in here

ok, first 2 are the pretend F1 cars. Fun, fast and furious. I was pretty scared in that thing.

The mustangs were drift cars. Check out the attachment on the side of the bumper.
Its an attachment for a water pipe. They fill a tank inside with water and it drains infront of the tyres as the car drifts. I went for a lap with a pro driver.
Ive never been in a drift before. so it was a first for me. Great experience.

That Renault has slick tyres, and race modified. Went for a lap with a pro. amazing!

The chargers, we got to drag race with those.

And the other 4 i mentioned before

20140715_110939.jpg 20140715_111224.jpg 20140715_100739.jpg 20140715_105378.jpg 20140715_140653.jpg 20140715_165604.jpg 20140715_165812.jpg 20140715_185659.jpg 20140715_175937.jpg

I've played most of the big sims. Was in GPL leagues back in the day. Was a subscriber of Iracing for quite some time - actually I was an alpha and beta tester for Iracing. That was pretty fun. We used to get a modified version of Nascar 2003 to download that was the test bed for Iracing. The physics modelling in the top PC sims is better than GT6. There's just no two ways about it - and the force feedback is just hugely better. That said though, GT6 is a ton of fun to drive and I agree with the gist of this thread that GT's physics model does a really nice job of presenting a range of wildly different cars and somehow making them feel pretty distinct from one another. The thing I've always appreciated about the GT games is that they really straddle the line between the thrills of arcade racing games and the depth of sims. Theres a lot of dynamics in GT's physics - no two laps feel exactly the same and you never feel like you've maxed out a car...it ain't perfect but I think its the best at what it does.

I find it funny you're being such a stickler here about the use of an absolute word when super_gt in post #22 can say he doesn't agree that games haven progressed since the atari era and no questions are asked.

This is why I am a stickler about accuracy because that's not what @super_gt said. His response to the post was, "I'm sorry, but I do not share your opinion", whereupon you simply selected what suited your case from the post he responded to. That same post he responded to also contained the statement, "Its really nice just to be able to feel some correlation between real life cars and a $50 game.". Are you 100% sure that wasn't what he didn't agree with? Did you ask him if that's what he meant when he said, "I don't share your opinion"?

And I already showed you evidence and it was implied. Maybe not to the nth degree you're looking for or something. YZF in posts 17 and 18 seems to be saying if this one part of the physics engine is broken than the rest of it is no good.

You've shown nothing of the sort. You simply assumed that the posters in question had some deeper, more nefarious meaning to their criticisms and then responded accordingly. Neither one of them has come close to anything you allege they said or implied.

All I am saying is the physics aren't perfect but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be enjoying them for what they are. I'm not going to get all mad because the game doesn't do torque steer right or whatever that video in post 29 was supposed to show
And @super_gt and @YZF have said nothing that contradicted that. Just because the lack of torque steer isn't an issue to you and is to someone else, doesn't negate their wish to have it in the game and doesn't negate the fact that it's one of the gaping holes in the GT physics model, along several others that other posters might also find discerning based on the personal preference.

Physics in a virtual environment are not going to be perfect for a long time to come. Even the most powerful super-computers are currently still incapable of simulating aerodynamics with perfect precision, which is why all major aero development still involves road and windtunnel testing.

The PS3 is particularly limited in this sense due the nature of its architecture and its age.

Most things about Gran Turismo are fine. Online gameplay is a bit dry but it has improved, a good selection of tracks, tons of cars to play around with, and somewhat decent customization, especially for premium cars. The only thing I don't really like about the game is the dying community and the sounds. :(

The physics are really, really good for a console game though, and for a racing game in general.

My google translator call this track.

Ok so its a google translate problem.
So what i gather is his google translates a "track" as a "truck"

t-shirt-close-enough.jpg
he thought he was correct in replying/implying "yes" when asked have you driven on a "track", because hes driven a "truck"

Let him be. Theres no point to all of this. Obviously one can tell whether a conversation has merit or is full of ****.

Last edited:
This is why I am a stickler about accuracy because that's not what @super_gt said. His response to the post was, "I'm sorry, but I do not share your opinion", whereupon you simply selected what suited your case from the post he responded to. That same post he responded to also contained the statement, "Its really nice just to be able to feel some correlation between real life cars and a $50 game.". Are you 100% sure that wasn't what he didn't agree with? Did you ask him if that's what he meant when he said, "I don't share your opinion"?

I have no problem with trying to be accurate, I just don't get why you called me out instead of him? Why not both of us? There were some pretty glaring inaccuracies in his post I'm referring to.
And yes I did ask him and he referred me to a link to a thread.

You've shown nothing of the sort. You simply assumed that the posters in question had some deeper, more nefarious meaning to their criticisms and then responded accordingly. Neither one of them has come close to anything you allege they said or implied.

That's why I was hoping they'd explain there posts more. super_gt has finally.

And @super_gt and @YZF have said nothing that contradicted that. Just because the lack of torque steer isn't an issue to you and is to someone else, doesn't negate their wish to have it in the game and doesn't negate the fact that it's one of the gaping holes in the GT physics model, along several others that other posters might also find discerning based on the personal preference.

Basically you're saying I should have left out the word "total" in my first post. Great.

In those videos posted with little explanation I wish I could have seen the driver as well. I'm having a hard time figuring out what is being shown. Is it with only certain cars? Because I think the corvette looks like it is sliding while the Lotus isn't.

Ok, im gonna try to pull this thread back to its intended direction.

Has anyone driven a car featured in GT, on a track featured in GT?

I really want to do that. Hopefully the ring...someday.
Im sure the experience would be unreal.

How about midnight highway races with Japanese cars that are in GT6 :P, I do have some track experiences, but none of them in GT, except for law abiding drives at Bathurst ( not really a track as it's a public road most of the year ), God I hate the speed cameras and hidden unmarked cruisers waiting to pull me over :lol:

I have not the age to drive real cars on real tracks, a little bit of karting but not anything else. I have seen in videos, that when hard braking, tires block even under Abs. In GT6 it does not happen IF you don't higher the brakes front and rear. For real, with abs 1 and higher brakes in front and rear, you will have same braking as real life. Not to mention GT6's stock cars settings are far from real, you need to tune it more real life like (little ad for Ridox :D!!) and you weel get extreme same driving experience.

How about midnight highway races with Japanese cars that are in GT6 :P, I do have some track experiences, but none of them in GT, except for law abiding drives at Bathurst ( not really a track as it's a public road most of the year ), God I hate the speed cameras and hidden unmarked cruisers waiting to pull me over :lol:

I wish i lived near bathurst. Is there alot of traffic there? can you go there at odd times, (like early am) and be able to speed abit?

I have not the age to drive real cars on real tracks, a little bit of karting but not anything else. I have seen in videos, that when hard braking, tires block even under Abs. In GT6 it does not happen IF you don't higher the brakes front and rear. For real, with abs 1 and higher brakes in front and rear, you will have same braking as real life. Not to mention GT6's stock cars settings are far from real, you need to tune it more real life like (little ad for Ridox :D!!) and you weel get extreme same driving experience.

Ive never karted before. Only on GT.
Are the karts setup like they are in the game?
How is the feel compared to GT? steering response, cornering?

I have to check it's been long, but first it's essential to make some wheel settings; FFP settings and wheel rotation settings to set the rotation to minimum. But from my knowledge, it's actually close. The kart do actually spon off during drifts, because it's hard to control them. Also the tires do lock up at some point, so we would have to play with the abs and the brakes settings a little to make it more real. Then I'd think it would be pretty real!

I totally get that. My AE86 is scary close to how it behave in real life. Only difference is the corolla in the game's in mint condition lol. But seriously, they nailed the habit of an 86's understeer before you slam it to get the car sliding, and since it's got such little power I need to weight shift(you need to to this irl to really get sliding) like a madman to get the car to misbehave. It's friggin' awesome!

Sadly, I've only driven a couple other cars in GT, and I forgot I need to show off my new secret car :) That also behaves super realistically, all you need to do is get some grippier rear tires and that car's pretty much nailed as well.

I wish i lived near bathurst. Is there alot of traffic there? can you go there at odd times, (like early am) and be able to speed abit?

I used to live in Sydney for about 10 years, spent my late teenage years and most of my 20's there. Went to Bathurst couple of times during school holidays, just driving and enjoying the view with my mates, once was at night and the view was breathtaking :P Didn't risked it by speeding though as I was told there were numerous speed cameras and warnings of hidden unmarked police waiting for giving a ticket :lol:

Latest Posts

Back