(Poll)Despite the lack of a ordinary campaign mode, will you still be getting Gran Turismo Sport?

• Thread starter furryboy96
  • 89 comments

Despite the lack of a ordinary campaign mode, will you still be getting Gran Turismo Sport?

• Yes

Votes: 130 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 36 19.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 22 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im still buying it but I do feel like a sucker for doing so.

The problem is the Project Cars career mode isnt what Im looking for either. It looks like a mild evolution from the one in PCARS 1 that I found very bland. A career mode with no real reward system does not interest me. Accumulating wins does nothing for me if all it does is fill up a stat line, but doesnt reward me with credits to upgrade or buy a new car, upgrade my team, etc etc, much more meaningful things.

The 'car collector' mode is only Forza 7 now, and I dont have a xbox or a powerful PC.

I really hope Jordan is on PD's payroll, because without this website's community I would pass on GTS and just wait until I build a new PC and pick up Forza 7 and PCARS 2 on it.

Last edited:
Nope. And that would be my answer even if it was just the lack of a proper career/offline mode, but add to that:

- not enough cars, or at least way too many fictional ones
- nowhere near enough tracks, especially real ones

No interest in online multiplayer. I enjoy a good photomode, but it's not enough on it's own to get my money.

Full disclosure - paid up WMD2 member here, so call me biased if you like, but I've bought every previous GT since 3 - this one isn't for me.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people here are downplaying the power of online as a Main feature.

I know Is a different genere, but for example you can see games like Counter-Strike that it is only-online and Is played by million. Also I have the personal experience with COD, most of my friends just buy the game for the online and barely touch the campaing, even some of them never play it.
Un Driveclub I Just played the campaing to unblock Cars but 90% of my playtime was online and Time trial.

I can understand Why you could feel angry with PD by removing the Classic campaing, but I think it Will do well
Problem is, it's a racing game. If I play CoD, I don't have to have the most kills to win. I don't have to have anything to win, because it's a team. When you have a team, excuses are abundant.
Racing is not a team game(in video games), there's nobody to point at, besides yourself, and potentially others cheating. Neither of those usually involve people continuing to play for very long.
Nobody wants to suck, our current generation of participation trophy kids aren't prepared for losing, and (gasp) trying harder, and nobody wants to lose to cheating.

For me personally, I always played a mix of both. If I lived in a more densly populated area, maybe my internet would be good enough to always go online, but games load faster and easier offline, do I really want to wait to connect to servers just to try my new gearing quick? No. Definitely not.
But that's not my sole reason I don't plan on playing GTS, to be fair. There's also the low count, fictional %, etc. More than anything it still looks and sounds really similar to GT6 to me, besides the new graphics. I was really unhappy with GT5 or 6, so when this appears the same, yuck.

Honestly I think this game will flop really hard. Strong initial sales, followed by a quick death, dropped prices, and more false promises trying to make up for what's not there. And that will go as well as GT6's monthly Dlc and VGT cars did.
Jmo

I'm definitely getting GTS because it's got the current Mazda MX-5. ;) It also has a lot of other cars I'm interested in such as the Audi TT. PCars2 may have more cars in total, but they focus on race-spec cars. But I'll most probably get PCars2 as well as GTS.

What has me excited the most about GTS is online racing. Since playing iRacing, racing against AI opponents feels boring.

I hope the full-damage mode in GTS will give significant penalties to people who crash. The damage model shown in the beta was way too insignificant.

I don't need a career mode. I'm at the point where if I want to jump on a race game, I want to do so in an organized way against guys that are real life competitors, not the computer. Good AI or bad, I'd rather race against real people and watch the lines people take from all over the country, or world for that matter. If I want to go up the ranks from slow to fast car I'll build up my speed by entering those slower car types of races first. It looks like you'll be doing some form of that by the looks of these latest screen shots. And from the beta, I found it more enjoyable running GR.3 and GR.4 cars than the road ones. Some balancing needs to be done to get the cars more equal, but aside that I like the jump-right-in action GTS is giving.

I'm definitely getting GTS because it's got the current Mazda MX-5. ;) It also has a lot of other cars I'm interested in such as the Audi TT. PCars2 may have more cars in total, but they focus on race-spec cars. But I'll most probably get PCars2 as well as GTS.
Umm PCars 2 has more road cars than GTS does (43 vs 39 based on current lists), I would also suggest you look at Assetto Corsa as well, as that easily has the largest road car bias of the three titles. AC also has the current gen MX-5, now it doesn't look as pretty as GTS, but as far as a sim goes it wipes the floor with GTS. As such it does depend on what your focus is.

I was iffy for the longest while, but the beta pushed me to a purchase with Sport Mode and the matchmaking systems. I was already interested just for the Photomode+next-level graphics combo, plus the hype for the livery editor, but I was concerned there wouldn't be enough to the game to make me want to get to those features.

I may be buying, but I'm betting several things will let me down. I started the series with GT5, and this will be the first time I'll be going into a game expecting disappointments before I even open the box.

Now that previews are available, many people understand that there will be no career mode and the response is radical. More than the small car/track list, gamers don't understand how in four years they couldn't implement a career mode. Tbh, Poly knew will all expected a career mode given the reaction in May 2016 and more than a year later nothing has really changed. My purchase is my vote and I will buy GTsport when a actual career mode will be featured in a future update. Well done Poly.

I'm definitely buying GTS. It was never going to have a traditional campaign as the game is an esports title and I'm fine with that,id expect if there ever is a GT7 that there will be a traditional campaign. With the improvements I've seen in the latest build, I'm excited for this game.

The title wants to be an e-sports title.Its an online mainly title.E-sports is something to be seen (how succesfull that will be).
Also being an esports-online title does not mean that it should/would not have offline campaing.Pcars 1 -example- had both.So the e-sports part (focus) of the game is no way a good excuse for a limited offline game modes.

I'm definitely buying GTS. It was never going to have a traditional campaign as the game is an esports title and I'm fine with that,id expect if there ever is a GT7 that there will be a traditional campaign. With the improvements I've seen in the latest build, I'm excited for this game.
What does being an eSports title have to do with a campaign? PCARS2 will be a fully involved eSports title and it has a huge and very robust offline campaign.

Yes. For me it is not a problem at all that there is no traditional career mode. It was said that GT Sport will be the title which mainly consisted of e-sports consistently from the announcement in Paris in 2015.
I did not expect the traditional career mode to be in GT Sport from the beginning, and I thought that if I wanted it, I should wait for GT7.
I am a big fan of online racing. I spent most of the time online racing with GT5 and GT6. So, I like the new direction of GT Sport very much and I believe it is the right decision.

Yes. For me it is not a problem at all that there is no traditional career mode. It was said that GT Sport will be the title which mainly consisted of e-sports consistently from the announcement in Paris in 2015.
I did not expect the traditional career mode to be in GT Sport from the beginning, and I thought that if I wanted it, I should wait for GT7.
I am a big fan of online racing. I spent most of the time online racing with GT5 and GT6. So, I like the new direction of GT Sport very much and I believe it is the right decision.
Given that they sold 75 million games with huge offline careers, why do you think it's the right decision now to scrap the offline career? What is gained by scrapping the career that would not otherwise have been gained if it had been left in?

The argument of "they did the right thing to scrap offline career mode" is completely bogus. It's done simply to justify the way that PD have drastically gone in the wrong direction. Same with the whole FIA thing. Ok if it truly is so obsessed with FIA rules and regulations why don't we have a C7.R but a Corvette Gr.3? Why no 488 GT3? Or Porsche 911 Cup GT3?

I can only say that the contents of this game are extremely disappointing considering it's been in the works for 4 years. We're not talking 4 months but 4 years and a company backed by Sony themselves. Just not good enough, much like GT5 and GT6. GT series went downhill since 2004 with GT4.

What does being an eSports title have to do with a campaign? PCARS2 will be a fully involved eSports title and it has a huge and very robust offline campaign.
As will FM7. It could end up that both FM7 and PC2 do the whole e sports thing better than GTS, after all they have already done it to a certain degree, and still have a very good offline campaign. Once again some of the game design decisions PDI have made are truly baffling.

We actually haven't seen that much from the offline section have we? There are a handful of vidéos which show only the beginning of the game and the racing etiquette part hasn't even been shown. We also don't know what further stuff the arcade mode represents.

There seem to be over 150 different events so far. I expected the offline stuff to be much less. The only thing I find a bit of a let down is that you can't go through the "career" with your own car and build up manufacturer affinity. I think in the IGN vid the employee said that for every event a car will be provided. I would have liked to see another kind of solution for that but it is what it is.

If the custom offline races have robust options and give out credits then I wouldn't miss the career mode. It seems the AI has been adjusted recently, so as of today -- I'm looking forward to that aspect.

If the custom offline races have robust options and give out credits then I wouldn't miss the career mode. It seems the AI has been adjusted recently, so as of today -- I'm looking forward to that aspect.
I saw 1900 Cr. for one of the tests. Seems a bit of a pittance if cars cost the same as they cost in previous games or close to their real life cost.

The title wants to be an e-sports title.Its an online mainly title.E-sports is something to be seen (how succesfull that will be).
Also being an esports-online title does not mean that it should/would not have offline campaing.Pcars 1 -example- had both.So the e-sports part (focus) of the game is no way a good excuse for a limited offline game modes.
Yes it is when you look at the grand scheme of esports

Just because pcars does it doesn't mean it is the norm. Most esport titles are online only or majority wise. Some have small offline features but nothing all that expansive that would make you return. Most offline stuff is tutorial based or practice. The only games to have a traditional large offline mode and large online competitive esports scene, are fighting games.

The argument of "they did the right thing to scrap offline career mode" is completely bogus. It's done simply to justify the way that PD have drastically gone in the wrong direction. Same with the whole FIA thing. Ok if it truly is so obsessed with FIA rules and regulations why don't we have a C7.R but a Corvette Gr.3? Why no 488 GT3? Or Porsche 911 Cup GT3?
The C7.R is a GTE car, not a GT3 car. It wouldn't fit in with the GT3's. The C7 Gr.3 seems to be PD's take on the Callaway GT3-R and the Pratt and Miller C7.R.

The only thing I can say about the 488 and the 911 is we still have about 15 cars left to be revealed.

PD never mentioned once to my knowledge that GTS would have a traditional GT campaign, they said campaign in Sports would be made up of race etiquette, learning how to race etc in preparation for online, so why did people expect a Traditional campaign when it was plainly stated there wouldn't be one. GT5 and GT6 campaign weren't particularly great and PD were slated for it so they've changed there approach for this game and are trying something new. How it works out remains to be seen and maybe if enough people complain they'll add a campaign who knows. Personally I was never led by PD to believe there would be a traditional campaign and I'm fine with that.

PD never mentioned once to my knowledge that GTS would have a traditional GT campaign, they said campaign in Sports would be made up of race etiquette, learning how to race etc in preparation for online, so why did people expect a Traditional campaign when it was plainly stated there wouldn't be one.
The fact that they stated it doesn't make it any more or less puzzling. People are past expectation, it was out the window when info about the Campaign mode was finally released. Now it's more into the disappointed phase for some. Regardless, just because it was stated doesn't mean it shouldn't be questioned.

Back