[POLL] United States Presidential Elections 2016

The party nominees are named. Now who do you support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Americans must be looking at Britain tonight with a mixture of bemusement and sheer envy.

The 2016 US Presidential race has been underway pretty much since Obama was re-elected - this thread alone is over 16 months old and yet the race was well underway long before that... and still has over 4 months to run! Despite this, the GOP produced arguably the biggest shower of 🤬 in living memory (except perhaps for the English national football team, but I digress), and ultimately has delivered us Donald J. Trump as its candidate. The Democrats have selected a women who is struggling to fend of allegations/evidence of serious criminal behaviour and who is the wife of an impeached former President who himself brazenly lied to the nation, despite splashes of DNA evidence (and presumably a dry-cleaning bill) to the contrary.

Meanwhile, here in the UK, we get a new Prime Minister without even having to vote! Not only that, even her own party didn't have to vote for her!! Basically, the outgoing PM said he was leaving midweek and that the job/house/cat were hers if she wanted them 👍 And yet, though not a great fan of the Tories or of Theresa May myself, one would be hard-pressed to say that she was anything like as hideous a leader as the US presidential race has offered up to the American people... democracy is a bitch!!

In other words he's saying, "HA, suck it Murica"

I do think he did some good that most politicians don't do, he did get people excited about a candidate and actively had people who couldn't care any less about election actually caring. He also showed the voter fraud that goes on during primaries and how it's essentially rigged from the get go.

While I don't think he's the Jesus that his supporters made him out to be, I can't fault him for helping a group of Americans wake up and take notice with who's campaigning to run the country.

I agree with this, which is why it's all so much more bitter to see the man fold up shop and side with people who did exactly the opposite to what he did. Hell even Ron Paul didn't do that, and the only other candidate I can think of that got the younger crowd and other excited to vote, became President.

I can.

Run as an independent. Keep sending his message until November. Keep shaking up the established parties.

I'm not even a US citizen and think that Bernie is nothing but a sellout. A couple of months ago he was telling the US people that he didn't see a President in Clinton, and now he's kissing the Clinton vajayjay.

He should come clean about what he was promised for his endorsement.
Even if he doesn't run as an independent he could simply have said, "I don't like either one of them, they each represent in large part much of what I think is wrong with America and I can't in good conscience endorse either one. I'll leave it up to my supporters to make up their own mind and make their own best choice".

160714-preview-of-republican-national-convention_zpslgznp7mk.jpg

After Trumps announcement that Mike Pence is going to be his VP, the LA Times came out with a poll that shows Trump leading 43-40 over Hillary. While the Times buried the poll, we do have some actual numbers courtesy of Breitbart:

- Trump has the support of at least 30% of Hispanics.
- Trump leads among men, 47-36, but while Clinton has a lead among women, 41-34, trends are showing over the five day poll that the gap is closing.
- Trump leads voters who are 45 and older, while Clinton leads among younger voters.
- Trump's strongest support comes from white voters who have not graduated colleges, 53-24.
- Clinton, by contrast leads among Blacks and Latinos who have not graduated college, 77-3 and 51-30 respectively.
- Clinton also held a narrow edge among white college grads, 42-40. If she wins that group, she will be the first Democrat to do so since polls began asking such demographic questions since the 1950's.

Also, the OP will be updated with Trump's pick for Vice President and Rubio's unretirement.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, here in the UK, we get a new Prime Minister without even having to vote! Not only that, even her own party didn't have to vote for her!!
Hey, we've had five different Prime Ministers since 2007, and we only voted twice.

I'm not removing AdBlock to see the video but caught an excerpt on YouTube.

Evidently, the candidate and his running mate have slightly different approaches.

Article and Twitter link to short video interview snippet from GMA: http://www.mediaite.com/online/art-...ook-is-full-of-falsehoods-trump-is-sociopath/
Tony Schwartz, Trump’s ghostwriter on The Art of the Deal, the seminal guidebook on how to wheel and deal like the Donald, has broken his decades-long silence to tell reporters that the book is “full of falsehoods” and that he is “terrified” of a “sociopath” like Trump becoming president. [...] “I put lipstick on a pig,” he said. “I feel a deep sense of remorse that I contributed to presenting Trump in a way that brought him wider attention and made him more appealing than he is.” He went on, “I genuinely believe that if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization.”

Jesus. Couple rich fat white tools, right there.
Do you usually describe people by skin colour, wealth and body size or just those you don't like?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/18/politics/rnc-procedural-votes-rules-committee/index.html

Loud cries of protest broke out on the floor of the Republican National Committee Monday after GOP officials dismissed a last-ditch effort by anti-Donald Trump groups to force an embarrassing protest vote against the RNC and the presumptive presidential nominee.

A group of anti-Trump delegates submitted signatures to try to force a vote on the rules of the convention -- a procedure normally done quietly at the start of each convention.

I just watched ABC's coverage of Rudy Giuliani's speech at the RNC. The coverage, Headed by George Stephanopoulos (Bill Cilnton's Senior Advisor on Policy and Strategy), They completely spoke over the entire thing. Why am I surprised.

It is such an indictment of Hillary Clinton. Here it is for those of you that want to be informed.

Last edited:
Why am I not surprised, Melania probably couldn't write a school assignment let alone a speech.
Melania probably has a speech writer like many leading political figures.

It was an excellent speech - I also enjoyed it the first time around.
I believe Michelle Obama was the first person to ever say, "work hard, treat people with respect and keep your promises".

melania-trump-speech.jpg

What difference does it make? We're reduced to wondering whether when politicians spout the same platitudes they always do if they're ripping off the particular phrasing of that platitude from the other politician that spouted that platitude. Whether it's stated by a democrapublican or a republicrat, it's just as meaningless and just as inconsistent with the party platform.

Let's find something else to talk about.

My theories on the speech (and Trump's tweet about it).

Theory 1: Generic platitudes are generic platitudes.

Theory 2: The news yesterday was about Never Trump people at the convention, which big names were refusing to go, and who wasn't supporting Trump. Today we are only talking about Trump, and the negativity is really about his mostly silent wife. He has the attention and if he keeps her in the background from here on everyone will think it's a smart move, not misogynistic or sexist.

I kinda wish she had done a totally unique speech, why not, it would show some personality (for once) and people would respect her more if she had not done a somewhat generic speech which clearly doesn't fit her as a person whatsoever. She seems to forget that pretty much everything about her is public knowledge so people aren't going to buy a speech like that from her.

BBC News
Teachers and academics in the UK and the US have taken to Twitter to thank Donald Trump's wife for providing the perfect material to teach their students what plagiarism is and why it is wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-36836599

:lol:

Last edited:
And make fat kids skinny right? That had to be in there somewhere.
Maybe in her next speech she can throw in a,"for the first time in my life I'm proud my country"

I kinda wish she had done a totally unique speech, why not, it would show some personality (for once) and people would respect her more if she had not done a somewhat generic speech which clearly doesn't fit her as a person whatsoever. She seems to forget that pretty much everything about her is public knowledge so people aren't going to buy a speech like that from her.
She's not running for office nor does she seem to enjoy the spotlight. Not sure why anyone would expect anything but a rah rah speech.

Maybe in her next speech she can throw in a,"for the first time in my life I'm proud my country"

She's not running for office nor does she seem to enjoy the spotlight. Not sure why anyone would expect anything but a rah rah speech.

Trump has done damn well off being himself, it would only make sense for his wife to emulate that campaign 'hook'. Yes her speech might not be important in the grand scheme of things but look at what's happened when she's tried to be someone she's not... fallout central! Even Trump wouldn't have bought it!

In the grand scheme of things, what Trump's (third) trophy wife had to say is of no real significance one way or the other ... but what were the speechwriters thinking? It's one thing to rip off a speech by a distant or obscure figure, but plagiarizing the sitting US President's wife's fairly memorable, relatively recent presentation could not possibly have escaped notice.

Could this be another desperate, last ditch attempt by Trump to sabotage his run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back