POLL: Would you buy GT Sport already? (AFTER v.1.05, change vote available)

• Thread starter Haitauer
  • 222 comments

Would you buy Gran Turismo Sport as it is in the beta - just unlocked?

• Yes

Votes: 166 53.9%
  • No

Votes: 142 46.1%

• Total voters
I also have the GTS CE edition in pre order, BUT....

This beta is okayish and PD has a lot of work to do before they can release it as a final product. May be my/our expectations are too high? From a graphical point of view I expected already a finished (beta) version. A lot of details still need to be added.

Physics are so so. At this stage I cannot name it 'a real simulator', but PD can and will surprise us (hopefully)?

May be behind the screens they already have a more finished product on the shelf? If this beta is the latest build then it is going to be a very long time before the final race game see daylight.

And now back to my PS4 and fire up that beta --> it's almost 7PM (CET) and we're ready to race!
They add limited features and almost hide everything.
Ofc the game could be finished but they add more and more and maybe working on sime cour sounds.
Who knows.
But it's not far until we have it in our homes!

Nope.
PD would really have to turn the ship around. This looks like a revised GT5/6 updated for the new system.
If I liked where the series was headed for those titles I would be very happy though as it appears very similar.

Answering to the main thread...

I like racing games and I usually dont enjoy sticking for the same sim/game by too long. For more than a year or two to be more precise. Also, I bought a wheel (T150) and I need sims and games to justify the expense. So, anything "so-so" or "more or less" is welcomed, making me vote yes.

GT Sport is far from being amazing and far from being very great. It is far from being a quantum leap from GT6.

However, we do have some shy, timid progress between GT6 and GTS: Graphical improvements, menu improvements (looking quite nice), good replay, better car selection (at least in my own opinion), better car grouping (N300, N200, Gr. 3...BoP is better than PP), sound improvements, online system improvements, and maybe a thing or two I forgot to mention.

The small track list is a bit disappointing - even if they were all real tracks. Some say about the 150 car list. I would like to remember that GT never really had 1000 cars in any single game. Somebody in GTP a long time ago counted that GT6 had about 450 different cars - 750 cars were just duppies. You know that 10 different models of Miatas first generation? For real, GT6 had about 450 different cars, with 1200 different models. GT5 had about 250 cars. So, 150 cars is not small as it appears to be - its 1/3 compared against GT6, not 1/9!

I expected more from climate and time change, and the physics improvements were minimum. Still no tire pressure option, still fictional units ("levels") for dampers, roll bars, differential and aero.

I think, in the end, for every positive I find a negative. Their problem is: PCars 2. I think and expect that SMS will do a much better job, even if I do not have any evidence for saying so. GTS looks like it is ages ago from the other games, they still have plenty of catch to be done (in physics for example). I imagine that GTS would be a good competitor against PCars 1 back in 2015. Or a very good alternative and the very first sim in PS4 back in 2014. Back there this game would be quite great, imagine this beta in 2014 or 2013. People would be more excited if the release and beta would be back in these years, and this is why I say: They are ages behind, they have 2-4 years of catch to be more precise (except in graphics and replays, they are 1-2 years on the front).

This beta is okayish and PD has a lot of work to do before they can release it as a final product. May be my/our expectations are too high? From a graphical point of view I expected already a finished (beta) version. A lot of details still need to be added.

Physics are so so. At this stage I cannot name it 'a real simulator

I'm affraid you are expecting too much. What exactly is missing, graphically? I think its the finest looking racing game right now, at least in 4K. It is a beta, not an alpha, i have never played a beta that changed noticably with the final game.

I also have to say that the physics are great.. in my opinion. I'm not an physics expert, though. However, i can't say i'm enjoying driving more in AC or PCars.

No.

The physics still need a lot of work, the tyre model in particular, FFB is disappointing and the SR system doesn't work in race when it comes to collisions.

It looks pretty, but that seems, once again, to have been the main focus.

It's an improvement over GT6, but it's a way behind the rest of the market in the areas I care about.

Just about the only reason I would pick it up was for the purpose of running comparison tests.

I keep wondering why theres so many comments on how awful GT5&GT6 are. I understand someone might not like them, but the haters are way out of proportion. I post this here just as a reminder. About them expectations..

Gran Turismo.. What a failure by PD:odd:

Metascore/userscore

GT6 81/7.9
GT5 84/7.7
Forza 6 87/7.7
Forza 5 79/6.9
Forza H2 86/8.3
Pcars 83/6.7
Assetto Corsa 73/6.1

Drove Nordschleife some minutes ago.
In the last corners 2 cars drove in ghost mode through me...are you kidding me?
Please deactivate this ghost stuff.

I'm affraid you are expecting too much. What exactly is missing, graphically? I think its the finest looking racing game right now, at least in 4K. It is a beta, not an alpha, i have never played a beta that changed noticably with the final game.

I also have to say that the physics are great.. in my opinion. I'm not an physics expert, though. However, i can't say i'm enjoying driving more in AC or PCars.

Just did six races again (3*BH and 3*Nords). 110% fun, really enjoying this and it is "just" a beta! Graphically 4K/HDR is already very good!! Just the little details like e.g. disappearing trees in your mirror and more lively track (rubber etc). But nothing to really to complain about.

I already reserved a spot in the race room for the special AMG included in the CE edition. And really looking forward to VR mode and the single player/offline mode.

I keep wondering why theres so many comments on how awful GT5&GT6 are. I understand someone might not like them, but the haters are way out of proportion. I post this here just as a reminder. About them expectations..

Metascore/userscore

GT6 81/7.9
GT5 84/7.7
Forza 6 87/7.7
Forza 5 79/6.9
Forza H2 86/8.3
Pcars 83/6.7
Assetto Corsa 73/6.1
High Metascores don't make any of our complaints invalid.
Who knows, maybe the things that do matter for the true fans aren't covered by reviewers…

As much as I'm enjoying it, no, I wouldn't. We've only seen a small portion of what it has to offer, so there's not enough to go on yet.

Metascore/userscore

GT6 81/7.9
GT5 84/7.7
Forza 6 87/7.7
Forza 5 79/6.9
Forza H2 86/8.3
Pcars 83/6.7
Assetto Corsa 73/6.1
Sorry, I don't see how the opinions of reviewers is relevant to our personal opinions on the game. The fact that Project Cars scored an 83 when it was released full of issues tells you that metascores leave a lot to be desired.

And really looking forward to VR mode and the single player/offline mode.

I would love to see that, but i doubt there will be a true single player mode. I think this is a Esport game. But we will see. Hopefully soon :-)

Sorry, I don't see how the opinions of reviewers is relevant to our personal opinions on the game. The fact that Project Cars scored an 83 when it was released full of issues tells you that metascores leave a lot to be desired.
In addition, Assetto Corsa, one of the most praised sims in this community, has the lowest score of those.

In addition, Assetto Corsa, one of the most praised sims in this community, has the lowest score of those.

Or is it that these games get many things forgiven, where it is trendy to hate PD and GT. I was underwhelmed when i bought AC a month or so ago. Physics are nice yes, but the limited car roster, very few online rooms and the usual money milking with the add-ons made me turn away. Also I felt, like theres no sensation of speed outside GT3 cars.

I have also been wondering about the physics. Is it possible, that todays games tend to exaggerate the physics? Ragdoll bouncing where it should be more subtle? Similar "more is better" as in the sound discussions

Last edited:
Or is it that these games get many things forgiven, where it is trendy to hate PD and GT. I was underwhelmed when i bought AC a month or so ago. Physics are nice yes, but the limited car roster, very few online rooms and the usual money milking with the add-ons made me turn away. Also I felt, like theres no sensation of speed outside GT3 cars.

I have also been wondering about the physics. Is it possible, that todays games tend to exaggerate the physics? Ragdoll bouncing where it should be more subtle? Similar "more is better" as in the sound discussions

WOW :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:you do realize this is a GT game you are talking about. This is why PD is so far behind, because the GT ARMY will let PD have pass on everything and anything. The rose tinted glasses are strong.

No. The very same people I see raising valid issues with the GTS beta are the ones I've seen raising valid issues about AC, Pcars, Dirt, etc.

Once again you seem to be attempting to link critical feedback on GT or PD with 'hate'. Now unless you are able to actually demonstrate that I strongly suggest you stop attempting to do so.

Oh and you may want to go and read my review of AC before making such inane assumptions again.

That said AC wasn't a full price title and the quality of the car and track list, for me more than makes up for it. Same with the DLC, which I personally found to be the best value DLC season since Driveclub.

No.

GT still has major physics issues, you may not like it, but it does: and just like the sounds thus has nothing to do with more is better. Well unless you mean more accurate is better, in which case yes.

However if you are saying that a exaggeration to the point of caricature, then GTS is the one guilty of that right now, particularly with regard to 4WD and MR.

Last edited:
For now, my biggest criticisms against GT are still there. Soon a year after the reveal event and the core of the game is still the same. So I know it won't change, it's like take it or leave it. IMO more cars or tracks are details in comparison with career mode or camera views. GT6 was my hotlap sim with a gamepad, I guess GTSport will be the same. So I'll buy it, I will probably spend hundreds hours of love and hate with this game. But the Gran Turismo I used to love (1, 2 and 3) is defintely gone...

I voted no.

I don't even own a PS4 and a GT game would be the only thing that could entice me to get one, but from what I've seen on videos and comments from people on GTP I trust, GTS is not worth it.

I'm saddened by this, because it was GT that brought me here and I've had so many good races with this community.

I won't even be buying the finished game.

If you mean praised in the specific areas where it excels, yes it is. And the criticism of the areas where it falls flat is just as strong.

No.

A lot of work still need to be done. It plays like GT games of old, which is why I like it, and why I'm concerned. While I like the physics, they don't feel like a huge bound over what was shown off in GT6. I was expecting a huge leap over the previous game, and it isn't really there. All the sims around it have improved their physics engines massively, with some just having incredibly good physics from the get go (looking at you AC).

What's more, the tire model still needs work (nice to see that tires can go from hot to cold in about 5 seconds still), and like others have said, the game feels somewhat "numb" using the DS4. I don't get much feedback from the controller whenever I'm losing grip or understeering. I get that feeling in basically all of the other racing games I've played recently.

We have issues with balancing. From what we've seen in the beta, N300 is dominated by the Evo and the TTS, whereas Gr.4 is dominated by the GT-R Gr.4. Gr.3 appears to be relatively competitive with all of the cars, but we don't know what the balancing is going to be like in the final product.

Sound, while being improved, is still missing something. It doesn't sound like a vacuum anymore, but some cars just seem to lack any 'punch'. The R8 LMS sounds good, but it doesn't sound that raw. That, and intake sounds are missing.

All of that is without getting into the Career mode and the AI, which both leave much to be desired.

Oh, and we still don't know everything about the game. Night racing is allegedly in. So is weather. Yet we haven't seen any of this featured in the game yet, or showcased at any events.

I hope PD are actually listening to the people in the beta forums, and the suggestions that they told us to make, because there's still a lot of issues. Allegedly, people who owned GT6 had higher chances of getting into the beta compared to those that didn't. As such, we know what's wrong with the series. I love PD, but they're far too stubborn.

I'm having fun, and there's a lot of great things about this game, but PD - you need to step it up.

I keep hoping to see something that makes me want to rush out and grab a PS4 but so far I'm just not seeing it.

- The lack of a career mode is a big issue with me but I could forgive that decision if they implemented a championship editor. Perhaps they will in the full game but it's absence so far is a major turn off. I have no interest in playing online so those features don't really factor into my choice, although something similar to Rival's would be more than welcome.

- The car list leaves me feeling unfulfilled. I love seeing PD's race mods, but I don't like seeing them make up a bulk of the roster, especially when there is a very good supply of real life GT3 & GT4 cars. Not having any older cars or cars outside of "rally" and sports cars unveiled yet is also of concern.

- The track list is also a let down. It's mostly fantasy tracks, which seems odd in an FIA endorsed game with a small announced track count. Plus so far there are 2 ovals, with no proper oval cars to do them any justice.

- Visually it does indeed look amazing, but in a time where all the major series' broadcast in HD having good graphics in a racing game just isn't enough to carry a game anymore.

Perhaps closer to the full launch there will be something, but so far it seems like PC2 and FM7 will fill the void just fine.

No. I was all for getting it sight unseen, when Kaz mentioned it was being worked on during GT6. I know what I want in a game and PD haven't delivered it yet.

I think the beta gives a lot more than hypothetical view. We all know theres more tracks and cars to come. We already know most of the tracks and cars from other games and from real life. I think all the basic mechanics are there. Then again, if one hasnt played the beta, its like commenting on a restaurant one hasnt visited..

We know less than half of the proposed 27 circuit layouts.

The only mechanic we know of currently is the existing Sport Mode system. All those inaccessible options in the menus? No real idea how any of them are when "unlocked".

Cant understand people waiting for the perfect package - thats what the updates are for. Its the usual case of whining if the studio lets you test the product to be able to answer the hopes and whining if the studio lets you play a game thats not finished. Whining if they delay a game for polishing and whining if they release a game for the players earlier to provide the asked for updates later. PD and game studios in general must have one of the most ungrateful customers. :rolleyes:

Ah, but that's a strawman argument: who's waiting for a "perfect package"?

You seem to misconstrue all criticism as "whining" or "hating". That's problematic, and a little dramatic. People can and will discuss what they do and don't like about a form of entertainment they've spent money on. Games are not unique in that regard.

Plus, you're far more likely to find criticism in communities dedicated to whatever title you want to focus on: these are the people that care enough about the game series that they've sought out somewhere to discuss it with like-minded folks. Joe Casual won't be found on an online forum commenting on the subtleties of rear-engine physics, because he doesn't care.

To answer the question: no, absolutely not. I would not pay $70 for what's on display in the beta, because there's so much I don't yet know about the final game that needs to be answered.

Back