Polyphony Digital is "Considering" Releasing Gran Turismo on PC

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 351 comments
I think this is an admirable goal, as I think it'd be good for sales. I just hope there isn't any cross-play between the PC version and the one on Playstation consoles, as I'm concerned about modders/cheaters. I don't see PD - or any dev, for that matter - making a PC version of GT that would be notably different from a future installment on Playstation consoles, either.

I do still wonder about that job posting I saw on PD's website, well after the release of GTS, that was looking for a mobile dev. We don't seem to have a companion app for GT7 yet, either, so I'm very curious as to what they could be working on in that regard - especially since the GTS app seemed to be entirely outclassed by the mobile site.

Then again, I think the PC market is much stiffer competition for realistic racing games in general. You've got ACC, for one, not to mention the elephant in the room: iRacing. I always thought the whole appeal of Sport Mode was that it's effectively a much more accessible version of iRacing. So if GT is released on PC, I don't really know what demographic PD is gonna be aiming for, since on PC, iRacing is a very enticing option.
GT is a game you can buy once and you'll have it forever. iRacing is not only more expensive but is also only available through a subscription based service, and on top of that, all cars and tracks are an extra fee.

GT is a game you can buy once and you'll have it forever. iRacing is not only more expensive but is also only available through a subscription based service, and on top of that, all cars and tracks are an extra fee.
I don't know, but as soon as I saw that they were planning GT for pc, I immediately thought that they could go that way in the future.

Incorrect, the base subscription comes with quite a few cars and tracks.

And if you wanna play GT online you need a subscription as well.

And if you wanna play GT online you need a subscription as well.
I have no idea if Sony has/has plans to put PS+ on PC but typically online subscriptions are on consoles only. I can play Forza online for free on PC but if I want to play it on the Xbox I need Gold. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same case here.

Last edited:
I have no idea if Sony has/has plans to put PS+ on PC but typically online subscriptions are on consoles only. I can play Forza online for free on PC but if I want to play it on the Xbox I need Gold. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same case here.
Considering that GT7 added microtransactions, that’s a pretty bold assumption.

Regardless, GT7 being available “forever“ isn’t much of a selling point. Free or not once GT 8 gets released online will be a ghost town.

I get that the subscription model is a deterrent, but people pay for iRacing because you get a lot more than sport mode could ever offer. Ironically sport mode in GTS was ultimately what lead to me switching to PC/iRacing.

Considering that GT7 added microtransactions, that’s a pretty bold assumption.

Regardless, GT7 being available “forever“ isn’t much of a selling point. Free or not once GT 8 gets released online will be a ghost town.

I get that the subscription model is a deterrent, but people pay for iRacing because you get a lot more than sport mode could ever offer. Ironically sport mode in GTS was ultimately what lead to me switching to PC/iRacing.
GT7 didn't add MTX for what it's worth. GT5 had a DLC model (paid car packs) and GT6 onwards had free content in favour of MTX.

Hell, GT5 was meant to be a pay-per-car model back in its early stages. MTX is nothing new to the franchise.

GT7 didn't add MTX for what it's worth.
That depends on the context of "add", when the game was reviewed it didn't feature MTX's, once the day 1 patch rolled in it did, inother words, GT7 added MTX's.
Hell, GT5 was meant to be a pay-per-car model back in its early stages. MTX is nothing new to the franchise.
That wasn't GT5, that was a GT4 based version of GT:HD that was only every shown as a tech demo and talked about as an idea in principal. It was certainly something I'm glad never happened, though the games have been heading to a more MTX oriented model for a while, but that game was not GT5.

GT is a game you can buy once and you'll have it forever.
That's not established. The always online requirement currently means that when the servers go down at end of life, the game is a coaster. They might patch it, but it's not a given and we're waiting to see how they treat GTS at end of life.

GT5 and GT6 both lost significant functionality when the servers went down, but they still work in a fashion. GTS without a connection is barely functional, and GT7 is even less so. If they don't patch GTS when the servers go down, don't expect them to do anything about GT7.

The last GT game that was truly buy once and you'll have it forever was GT4. Nearly 20 years ago.

With knowing how much of an effort PD makes to limit cheaters and any minimal modding i wonder how they would deal with a PC release
I think gt7 will be safe from cheaters. It's a arcade game on the levels of Forza
Cheatfestival, please no crossgaming.
L bro, gt7 ain't a Sim, proper PC Sims have no issue with cheaters. If pd give a **** there ei be no cheaters, plus it's on the level of Forza. Proper s racers will play gt7 for a bit of tickle and laugh, let's be honest

Bro, proper race Sims already exist on PC without cheaters, iRacing and acc will still be king, the arcade game gt7 will be a bit of slapand tickle fun

They need to consider full PSVR2 support before anything else.
Will look like trash on ps5 hardware, ps5 is barely more powerful than a etc 2060 super

Last edited by a moderator:
@danilson1009

I know, pc master race stay above all other…
But for ACC there are cheater as well.

But thankfully PD isnt able to make it proper crossgame in there own ecosystem so there are not able to make it proper over severel platforms.

And ps5 isnt that weak like you think. Is a single platform and developer are able to squeez all out of the system and its far away from its limits now. I bet in 2023 the ps5 get a few updates to unleash more power.

Have fun with youre 1200 watt monster and still have stutterstruggle 🤣

I think gt7 will be safe from cheaters. It's a arcade game on the levels of Forza
L bro, gt7 ain't a Sim, proper PC Sims have no issue with cheaters. If pd give a **** there ei be no cheaters, plus it's on the level of Forza. Proper s racers will play gt7 for a bit of tickle and laugh, let's be honest

Bro, proper race Sims already exist on PC without cheaters, iRacing and acc will still be king, the arcade game gt7 will be a bit of slapand tickle fun

Will look like trash on ps5 hardware, ps5 is barely more powerful than a etc 2060 super
I guess you don't know much about hardware or what makes a game a sim.

You ok bro?

I hope it’s crossplay with the console version. We probably won’t see this until GT8 anyway if it ever does happen, they can barely get cross gen consoles working.

Crossplay is a great thing, it boggles my mind how people are against this. The fear of cheaters should not stop the game industry from getting better, they will be dealt with like in any other game.

Last edited:
they will be dealt with like in any other game.
This premise is based on the assumption that all games have the same difficulties in preventing cheaters. This is very far from being the case. GT would have a MUCH harder time than say world of tanks, or rocket league. It's not apples to apples. This next part is more subjective, but I would have serious doubts that PD would take the effort to control cheaters manually (as all good competitive PC racing sims do). They can't even update spelling errors that have been in since launch, you really think they will spend any effort at all on banning or controlling cheaters?

This premise is based on the assumption that all games have the same difficulties in preventing cheaters. This is very far from being the case. GT would have a MUCH harder time than say world of tanks, or rocket league. It's not apples to apples. This next part is more subjective, but I would have serious doubts that PD would take the effort to control cheaters manually (as all good competitive PC racing sims do). They can't even update spelling errors that have been in since launch, you really think they will spend any effort at all on banning or controlling cheaters?
You are incredibly naive if you actually think they wouldn’t do anything about cheating. This is the same company that pissed everyone off by making GTS and GT7 require an internet connection to prevent people from manipulating game saves on console.

Last edited:
GT would have a MUCH harder time than say world of tanks, or rocket league.
Why? Games like iRacing and Project Cars use EAC and Need for Speed uses PunkBuster. Anti-cheating software exists and has been implemented for racing games.

Sony is a multi-billion dollar company too, if they desired to create their own anti-cheat software or protocols, they likely could do it without too much difficulty.

Just another way in that ACC replicates real life racing. :)

It's not cheating, it's just a different interpretation of the rules.
I dont care how you interpret this. But attemps are made and there are sucsessfull with it.
I dont wanna deal only 1hr with a cheat attemp in GT. I count also selfwritten farmbots via shareplay in Gt as cheating.

Last edited:
Why? Games like iRacing and Project Cars use EAC and Need for Speed uses PunkBuster. Anti-cheating software exists and has been implemented for racing games.
Implying they are reliable and completely cheat-free. The reality isn't as simple as you think it is.
Sony is a multi-billion dollar company too, if they desired to create their own anti-cheat software or protocols, they likely could do it without too much difficulty.
Bold assumption.

I dont care how you interpret this. But attemps are made and there are sucsessfull with it.
I dont wanna deal only 1hr with a cheat attemp in GT. I count also selfwritten farmbots via shareplay in Gt as cheating.
Art imitates life.

'Cheating' exists in real life racing as people always want to find a way to extract a bit more speed. The more accurate your racing sim becomes, the more likely it is for cheating to creep in. Having GT on PC will crack open that door wider.

Art imitates life.

'Cheating' exists in real life racing as people always want to find a way to extract a bit more speed. The more accurate your racing sim becomes, the more likely it is for cheating to creep in. Having GT on PC will crack open that door wider.
And thats why i dont want it on pc or if no crossplay. Unsecure cheater kids can play together i dont care.

Last edited:
Given all of Sony's forthcoming F2P and service games are PS5/PC, and presumably crossplay, we'll soon see how Sony deals with this. Many games have an option to play only against consoles players, but this is usually to separate pad & mouse players. Not to stop cheating (if there is any).

Unlike shooters, racing titles seem pretty easy to monitor cheaters. Devs have access to telemetry, BoP, track limits and so on. I guess there will also be a way for fellow players to report others.

Back