Porsche 911 GT3 (991) Announced!

Didn't think this warranted a thread just yet since it's spy shots & very brief, early guesses on the performance, but the GT3's bigger sibling has been spotted.
628x431xporsche-911-gt2-3-628-1372358485.jpg.pagespeed.ic.eWTLzEoze3.jpg

Look what spy photographers have spotted sprinting around the Nürburgring. Our shooters nabbed a few photos of the all-new Porsche 911 GT2 in its native habitat without any of the bulky camouflage or cladding we're used to seeing. The result is our first truly clear view at the upcoming successor to the GT2 throne. From the looks of it, the new model will boast wider fender arches front and rear, and hefty air intakes set into the machine's hips should help feed a beastly 3.8-liter flat six-cylinder engine. Early guesses put the engine output somewhere around 560 horsepower.

Mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, the engine should propel this rear-engined heathen to 62 miles per hour in under three seconds. Top speed? Try somewhere around 200 mph. If that's true, the next-generation 911 GT2 will be the fastest 911 in Porsche history.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/27/...campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/autoblog+(Autoblog)
:IB4transmissioncomplaints: :P

That's pretty much how the GT3RS will look... wider read shell from the 991 C4/Turbo & front arch extensions.

More praise for the 'cooking' GT3 from Steve Sutcliffe at Autocar... Quote; 'The best sports car I have ever driven'...

What a noise :D

Direct injection, it goes to 9 thousand, and it drinks less fuel.

0.jpg

"The new Porsche 911 GT3: It's a Volkswagen Beetle in running shoes." Sorry, can't help myself.

So they made a bunch of noise about the 4.0RS, but now were back to the 3.8? I'm missing something.

It's a completely different engine.

The 4.0RS had a 4l version of the Mezger engine that's powered GT and turbo road going 911's since the 996 along with Porsche's 911 GT racing cars.

The 991 has a new, 3.8l direct injection engine that makes pretty much the same power as the final Mezger, but is cleaner, more economical and still revs to 9k... and makes an orgasmic noise :D

I suspect there may be a 4l, 500bhp+ version in the future.

Performance figures from November issue Car & Driver Instrumented Test of 991 GT3:

Kerb weight: 3,197 lbs

0-60 mph: 3.0 seconds
0-100 mph: 7.1 seconds
0-120 mph: 10.1 seconds

1/4 mile: 11.2 seconds @ 126 mph

braking 70 mph to zero: 135 ft

I know the GT3 isn't about outright speed, but they are seriously impressive numbers :D

It's a very impressive car, this. I still think that the 997 GT3 RS 4.0 will be one of my favourite 911s for a very long time.

Performance figures from November issue Car & Driver Instrumented Test of 991 GT3:

I know the GT3 isn't about outright speed, but they are seriously impressive numbers :D
That QTR mile is nuts for a car pushing only 475 horses & naturally aspirated.

0.jpg

"The new Porsche 911 GT3: It's a Volkswagen Beetle in running shoes." Sorry, can't help myself.
Hahaha! Clarkson is indeed great for the laughs.

For me, everything I've seen and heard from this GT3, it's like classical art on wheels. I could listen to the sound of that 3.8 revving up to 9,000 forever.

The trap speed is especially nuts. It's not far off the Ferrari F12 which has over 700hp...:eek::bowdown:

Probably because 700 horses are too much. Too much electronics needed to keep them all steady. What good are 700 horses if traction control only lets you play with half of them.

I'm also curious just how fast the 991 Turbo S is going to be when someone sticks the timing gear on it... the 997 Turbo S did 2.8 0-60 and 6.8 0-100.

So far, the RS's haven't had any more power than cooking GT3's, but I wouldn't put it past Porsche to give the 991 a hike :)

Four wheel steering? This does mean all four wheels turn correct?

I have never seen that before... (Heard of it more and more recently)

Gee, those are some incredible numbers for a little, normally aspirated 6 cylinder :lol: The dual clutch transmissions nowadays really bring a significant advantage to the straightline acceleration/numbers. Good move by Porsche to throw the PDK at GT3 to help it stay hot on the heels of the GTR, 458, etc.

It's definitely not only the PDK though it certainly helps quite a bit. It's more likely the tires that are making the real difference when it comes to those last few tenths. Though I still wish it offered a manual as an option.

Between the tires & the PDK, it is definitely the PDK that contributes more. In an Edmunds test, a Carrera S with PDK nearly made up a full second in the QTR mile next to the 7-MT.

Evo did a similar comparison & showed that the traditional manual has your usual spikes & drops in the VBOX acceleration, where as the PDK shifts harder as it goes, but never drops below a previous G.

1.5°

At lower speeds (31mph and lower) the rear wheels turn in opposite direction and at higher speeds (49.7 mph and higher) the rear wheels turn in the same direction as the front wheels.

Between the tires & the PDK, it is definitely the PDK that contributes more. In an Edmunds test, a Carrera S with PDK nearly made up a full second in the QTR mile next to the 7-MT.

Evo did a similar comparison & showed that the traditional manual has your usual spikes & drops in the VBOX acceleration, where as the PDK shifts harder as it goes, but never drops below a previous G.

It's probably a trifecta of the tires, gearing, and PDK. If you have the tires massive grip, you can run shorter gears, which then gets helped by the PDK being able to shift so very fast. Because otherwise the times are just...otherworldly for a RWD car, even if it does have the traction of the rear engine.

It was a lot more common a decade or so ago; the 300ZX had it, as did the Prelude, and I believe some other cars (possibly the Skylines of the time). More recently, the Renault Laguna coupe actually had it as an option, which was surprising.

Japanese makes mostly were the ones using 4WS systems in the 90s. Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Honda all had their own (Mazda and Nissan being two of the more popular ones; Mazda's infamously so for unreliability). Seems to have become the rage again recently.

It's probably a trifecta of the tires, gearing, and PDK. If you have the tires massive grip, you can run shorter gears, which then gets helped by the PDK being able to shift so very fast. Because otherwise the times are just...otherworldly for a RWD car, even if it does have the traction of the rear engine.
The gearing between the 2 gearboxes is identical except for third & seventh.

The tires again, did play a role, but were not the major factor. The test that was done between both a 7-Speed MT Carrera S & a 7-Speed PDK Carrera S that were identical in specifications. The tires on both cars were P Zero Neros at 245/35ZR20 & 295/30ZR20. The only difference was that the PDK car weighed 55lbs. more.

Again, in the test, the PDK nearly made up a full second in the QTR mile & half a second quicker to 60. The reason the GT3 (& the new Turbo) are so fast is exactly because of the PDK's fast & aggressive shifting as it climbs gears without dropping.

I was talking about just how fast the GT3 is, not about the other test. I'm aware how fast the PDK is, it does add quite bit. But I think that it's still traction limited. And the gearing in the GT3's PDK is even more towards acceleration than the regular Carrera's PDK, given it has more power...the tires have to help. I believe in the Car and Driver test (not yet online), it was on Sport Cup 2 tires with very little tread...

No doubt the PDK does make quite an impact though, I just find it hard to believe (the 3.0 sec) in a RWD car, although perhaps I shouldn't if a Corvette Z06 can do it with a manual in 3.5 with it's semi-slick tires and it's much more traction limited.

Last edited:
Back