Porsche Flip Video

After watching the vid I was surprised that the spokesperson didnt even get surprised of the crash or mentioned anything. Anyway that car needed better tuning. A lowered front would of prevented a disaster.

I think it was a replay of the crash when the video was recorded.

I think they should not allow flat bottoms on prototypes. More than three have flipped in the past coupe of years and Michele Alboreto was killed because his Audi flipped.

I remember when one of the BMW prototypes flipped in the American Le Mans Series.  But that was before I knew cars could do that, so I was a little suprised.  :)

Alboreto's Auid flipped?!  I didn't know that, I just thought he wrecked.  :shocked:

Flat bottomed? I thought the only thing exposed under the bottom of a car is it's engine. But a covering under it? I gotta remember not to race any prototypes with flat bottoms in the future.

Yeah, they have like plastic or something on the bottom.  If you look closely at the bottom of the porsche as it flips you will see it.  F1 cars almost the same way but they have a more complex design for the air to flow.

Its called ground effect. The flatter the bottom of the car, the better it is sucked to the ground but once air gets under neath the car through lack of downforce, it will flip the car. Ground effect cars have been banned in F1 now for some time, they now have a wooden plank attached to the bottom of the car. Alboreto's car flipped because he had a slow puncture which caused the sidewall of the tyre to heat up and collapse which then caused a loss of balance and air got under the car and it took of.

Quote: from Phil on 4:50 pm on June 20, 2001[br]Its called ground effect. The flatter the bottom of the car, the better it is sucked to the ground but once air gets under neath the car through lack of downforce, it will flip the car. Ground effect cars have been banned in F1 now for some time, they now have a wooden plank attached to the bottom of the car. Alboreto's car flipped because he had a slow puncture which caused the sidewall of the tyre to heat up and collapse which then caused a loss of balance and air got under the car and it took of.
Oh, I hadn't heard that about his crash (I hadn't heard much at all, actually).

Hey, Phil, what about the verticle little things near the back of the bottom of F1 cars?  (If you need me to elaborate on this, please ask.  I realise that's not the most techincal descripion in the world.)  :)

I think you are talking about the diffuser. This is an aerodynamic aid to maximise rear downforce.
Diffuser.gif

Go to F1mech.com[/ur;] for more info.

Yeah, I'm thinking of the diffuser.

The Porsche GT1 flip of the early years of the ALMS predates these flips.
When did the GT1 flip?

i've flipped almost in gt 2 with the gt-one on the trail mountain circuit
with 320km/h
on the end of the long straight
when you go down the hill
the front liffted and due the non roll over function in the game
the car came down again
to bad i want to have the whole flip offcourse

Quote: from Phil on 12:50 pm on July 22, 2001[br]I sometimes almost flip on the banked first corner of Rd Valley
:conf:  When you are just going down the track or when you hit the wall?

I think on the bottom of the cars there is a special piece of wood that runs down the center of the car for flexiability. Just like the F1 cars , they say this single piece of wood cost anywhere from $10,000 to $25,000 dollars an must be change everytime they race.

If I go around the corner too fast, it understeers and then starts to bottom out so badly that air gets underneath and tries to flip me.

The plank underneath F1 cars is there to stop them from lowering the car right to the ground and creating more undercar downforce.  

Latest Posts

Back