Porsche is Giving the 919 a Victory Tour (And Looking to Shatter Lap Records)

At his time of 2:37, where does the extra battery boost come from?

At first it's accelerating with boost to about 290kph when acceleration slows a lot. I suspect that it's charging the batteries from the MGU-H there (which would mean a little less power available), and once it has cleared the last of the slight lefts on the uphill climb, it has enough energy again to release the boost and launch it to 340kph. (Although it looks to me like the graphics don't show the whole truth of the charge status)

They clearly have given the deployment strategy some thought to optimise its effect though.

Bellof is still the true record holder for me though.

1. His car was complying to regulations.
2. His lap was part of a real competition with track traffic and the pressure of a championship.

He was the German Version of Gilles Villeneuve. Absolute speed, brilliant car control and the absolute will to win....that came at a horrible cost.

Bellof is still the true record holder for me though.
Well... he is, by definition. His 6'25.91 is the lap record.

There's a few faster times - Jochen Mass managed a 6'16.8, along with Bellof's own 6'11.13, both in Porsche 956s, qualifying for the 1983 1000km race - but as both were set in qualifying, neither is the lap record. The 919 Hybrid Evo's two official runs at 5'24 and 5'19, as with its 1'41.770 at Spa, are simply faster laps, but not lap records.

Porsche being petty again. So they left WEC so that toyota can finally win and now they poke at toyota by shouting from grave ''but we did nordschleife world record haha''

Take this as a joke I know things aren't exactly how i pictured them :D

I don't know why there's hand wringing about any of this. You guys like fast cars right? This one is the fastest car ever (in certain respects). That makes it awesome. The great thing about achievements is that they stand on their own. I watched a guy in speed skating in the olympics set a world record right before the final pairing where the world record was set again and the gold medal was won. So there's a guy out there (I think it was a guy, might have been women's) who set the world record for approximately 5 minutes before it was set again. And yet... there was a moment where he had pushed the envelope of human ability. He set the world record none-the-less. Roger Bannister's wikipedia page lists him as the first person ever to set a sub 4-minute mile in 1954. It also says that 1400 people have done it faster since then... does that take away from his achievement? He still pushed the boundaries of what was possible.

The presumption that someone who sets a record doesn't want it to be broken is a little silly too. I doubt any of these record holders would have told you that they never want to see it broken for all time. 2000 years from now you still want humanity to not be able to achieve that? If they're fans of the sport there's no way they'd like to see zero progress in it. Records were made to be broken, it's part of what makes watching these sports fun.

We've gone at length over how Bellof's record was set in different (race) conditions in a different car that was bound by restriction. That's fine, and if that's interesting to the topic, his record is still there for discussion. But it's ALSO an interesting discussion to talk about how fast any car can do a lap of that particular tough circuit. And that record is its own talking point, even if nobody is officially tallying it.

I think, if I read it right, that they were saying that the 919 tribute was 12 seconds per lap faster at SPA without the restrictions than with them... and that's interesting in its own rite too. Look how much the regs are stomping on what can be done.

I'm surprised the obvious solution was overlooked

Have speed limits, both in races and outside of them, to make sure that no car is faster than a 956.
Infact just make every fast-paced race and lapping sessions use a 956 instead of anything else. :lol:
/s

Porsche being petty again. So they left WEC so that toyota can finally win and now they poke at toyota by shouting from grave ''but we did nordschleife world record haha''

Take this as a joke I know things aren't exactly how i pictured them :D
Hmmm, now that you mention it, seems like toyota is in the perfect position to try for a record of their own with the GR Super Sport they've now confirmed to be developing.

Last edited:
What was said above makes sense especially after Christian Horner has said he thinks the Aston Valkyrei amr can potentially beat the 919 EVO's time

agree
In 1985 Spa had a much tighter Eau Rouge and a double-chicane - well, a Bus Stop chicane - at... Bus Stop. It was a much slower track.

However, in our original 919/Ring article, we calculated that the 919 could set a 4'43, based off the 919-to-911 RSR gap at 2018's Spa. However it's not that simple - it depends whether the 919 makes the most time up on power, on brakes or in bends. Spa has much more of the track at full throttle than the 'Ring, which suggests that the 919's advantage is biggest in a straight line and/or in big stops (which isn't much of a surprise, as it's a hybrid).
Still very impressive. It killed the current record. If you gave them the old track I am sure it would win also.

Edit: you cant calculate a time. Until you acutually run it it does not count. That is like the guy in the pits that say his car make 4000Horsepower and it still runs a 15 in the 1/4 mile. Bring it or leave it at home. I am sure porsche still has a few of them left. Go do it then.

edit2: yes it was a little tighter in a few corners for sure.

edit3: I say do them heads up. Get those old museum cars ready and see what the have got.

Last edited:
  • Date: 14.07.2018
  • What: Three-part combined event for the Porsche fan community
  • Further information
70 years of Porsche is also a cause for celebration in Thailand. On 14 July 2018, a free, three-part combined event will be taking place for the Porsche fan community there. The “star guest” is – of course – the 919tribute.

The three elements of the event – Sportscar Together Day, The Meeting (the largest gathering of Porsche enthusiasts in South-East Asia) and the Porsche Carrera Cup Asia, which will be staged on the street circuit of Bangsaen – will bring all facets of the traditional brand to life and arouse the emotions of not just dedicated Porsche fans.

The Sportscar Together Day will take place in conjunction with The Meeting in the Oasis Arena in Bangkok. This will highlight Porsche’s success in the past and its future in motorsport. Visitors can expect to see Porsche models from every decade chronicling the company’s eventful history in motorsport.

An extensive programme of entertainment with attractive features such as the Kids Driving School, Porsche Cinema, Virtual Reality, food stalls, a typical German beer garden and hot laps will make the day an interesting and varied celebration for the whole family. Legendary high-profile drivers such as Earl Bamber and Jacky Ickx along with other VIPs will add an extra dose of glamour to this special event. There will also be a shuttle service operating between the Oasis Arena and the Porsche Carrera Cup Asia in Bangsaen. Just like the rest of the event, the shuttle service will also be free of charge.

All I can say.... if they are making a tour of that. It is going to slaughter all records,.,., and I hope it does.

edit: porsche just threw it down. come get it...

Can an f1 car beat the Porsche times.

NO, but that porsche does not have to be under rules. It is just the fastest they could build.

Last edited:
There are a few real world cars that could match the 919 evo i bet, when nick heidfeld did the ring their engineering team drew a possible 5.15 in f1 06. The 2005 f1s are regarded as faster yet as they ran harder tires but similar speed to 2004s laps . If a 05' mp4-20 with 2004 spec tires ran it might be close to this 919 evo thing. Of course possible new designs are endless, just expensive as space travel.:sly: The Porsche 919 evo is a straitline demon, but try monaco or Singapore gp with it, and without driver cooling that would be painful to watch... I can just see a fan car breaking the records without even pushing.:sly: Hopefully somebody will fund it, only 6 zeros behind the first two #s.

All that sounds nice rich. Then go do it. I do not care about some bench racing bs. Oh my car made this on the dyno or ran that in one sector. SACK up and show us the time. Until that happens keep your pile on the trailer where it belongs. Just remember to spit and shine it real nice. Just remember everyone has a faster car than you. Just prove it then, until then shut up.

They need to visit Pikes Peak and Isle of Man at some point. Shame the events are already passed this year, maybe next year?

I get the feeling that the Final Drive in October will be just that for the 919 Evo.

The only valid reason I can see for Porsche going back to Spa is that they feel more can be shaved off the time they set back in April.

Either that or they really liked the french fries. :P

Interesting they used a Toyota Sienna as a chase car for the NY shoot instead of something like a Cayenne. Perhaps the ultimate tribute to Toyota?

--

Looks like the 919 Tribute will appear (and I imagine run) at Rennsport Reunion in September. Was thinking about going already, and now another reason.

It'll be at Goodwood next weekend by the look of things... The VW ID-R will be there too. I doubt they'll allow them to go full beans up the hill, but if they do, both could probably challenge Nick Heidfeld's time.

It'll be at Goodwood next weekend by the look of things... The VW ID-R will be there too. I doubt they'll allow them to go full beans up the hill, but if they do, both could probably challenge Nick Heidfeld's time.
Yeah, @Roo made a note earlier in the thread that the last time the record was broken, it was unofficial and the driver got a telling off for going full beans in a F1 car.

Who cares about the rules? Why? It is not in some specific race class, it is just a fast car that now is the fastest. Do they need one to comply with rules to get in some dumb record book? I guess maybe, sure. BUT, anyone that has a clue knows that thing knocked the crap out of the records and will continue to do so in the near future.

edit: grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
191mph down the front straight at Laguna, and 170 into turn 5.
20180929_131504.jpg
20180929_131521.jpg

Is Porsche using different drivers for these records, or is it the ‘Ring driver? What an accomplishment it would be for one man to hold a bunch of all time lap records.

Back