Porsche Patent Could Reveal a GT Sport Exclusive Car

I almost had that feeling until it was placed in the “Automobiles, Vehicles [Toys]” category. Thinking that it would be a die-cast which I would be interested in.

I almost had that feeling until it was placed in the “Automobiles, Vehicles [Toys]” category. Thinking that it would be a die-cast which I would be interested in.
It wouldn't make much sense to have a die-cast without a car for it to be based on. As Porsche has already said it's not a production vehicle, and we know it's not the original 917 Living Legend, it could be a die-case licence for... a GT Sport 917LL variant, or Vision GT. Which would make sense.

It wouldn't make much sense to have a die-cast without a car for it to be based on. As Porsche has already said it's not a production vehicle, and we know it's not the original 917 Living Legend, it could be a die-case licence for... a GT Sport 917LL variant, or Vision GT. Which would make sense.
Sorry about that. I got confused about my statement for a second.

Porsche racing cars had the driver on the right side because it made for quicker pit stops/driver changes, since most race tracks at the time were clockwise. This is true all the way through the 962s of the 1980s.

They even had the gear shift lever on the right in these cars because the incoming driver could turn the key/start the car with his left hand while putting the car in gear with his right hand to make for a quicker start.

I'll also point out this rendering has a "cooling fan" under the rear glass engine cover, in another tribute to the air-cooled 917s.

Last edited:
Porsche racing cars had the driver on the right side because it made for quicker pit stops/driver changes, since most race tracks at the time were clockwise. This is true all the way through the 962s of the 1980s.

They even had the gear shift lever on the right in these cars because the incoming driver could turn the key/start the car with his left hand while putting the car in gear with his right hand to make for a quicker start.

I'll also point out this rendering has a "cooling fan" under the rear glass engine cover, in another tribute to the air-cooled 917s.

Every sports prototype Porsche has ever built has been RHD. I don’t why that was such an unusual detail noted in the article. I hadn’t noticed the fan detail, good eye man.

I couldn't remember off the top of my head if the WSC-95, 911 GT1, RS Spyder, or 919 were right hand drive as well.

Might have to add it to the list ;)
FYI. For those that want to collect right hand drive cars:

62 RHD GR.N

27 RHD race cars(includes VGT race versions, GR.4 Supra and GR.X drift BR-Z)

Edit: 4 RHD VGT( Alpine VGT non-"Race" & Race Mode versions, GT-R 2020 and Jaguar)

They can try to keep it GT Sport exclusive but its gonna get ripped and ported into 5000 different pc games a week after it comes out.
Even if they manage to block all access to the model files, the views they have right there for the parent are more than enough for some talented modelers out there. Once you got those ortho’s to go off of, it’s really not that hard.

Are these VGT cars meant to be phyically plausible in terms of power, grip, aero performance?

Every VGT car I drove in the game felt 'fake' for lack of a better word, but would be happy to be told otherwise.

Edit: "Porsche did not submit this as a vehicle design, but as a design for “Automobiles, Vehicles [Toys]”.

mef
Are these VGT cars meant to be phyically plausible in terms of power, grip, aero performance?

Every VGT car I drove in the game felt 'fake' for lack of a better word, but would be happy to be told otherwise.

Edit: "Porsche did not submit this as a vehicle design, but as a design for “Automobiles, Vehicles [Toys]”.
I'm sure some VGT cars try to simulate real world physics.

As for the Posrche design, many concepts start as clay "toys". ;)

mef

With the exception of Tomahawk and Chapparal, most are feasible with current technology. Some of the power/weight figures for the hybrid/electric cars are a bit optimistic for current battery tech, but I'm sure we'll get there in a few years.

The problem with these VGTs are manufacturers just supply PD with basic power/weight/dimension figures. I doubt they spend a whole lot of time on suspension geometry and aero work, so PD pretty much has to guess those and as a result the handling can be a bit wonky. Most of these cars are also designed to look good rather than actually perform, and that means ridiculously low ride heights and ultra low profile tyres, which doesn't do wonders for handling. The fact that we can't change the most of the default setups also mean we can't fix this.

VGT is a styling exercise and the drivetrain and handling characteristics is a 2ndary feature.

On one end there's cars like the Chapparal which doesnt exist except on computer on every level.

On the other end there's the Fittipaldi VGT which is a real car based on a fairly pedestrian ordinary MR layout.

In the middle there's the Audi VGT.

A good example is the Infiniti VGT... this thing dates back to 2014? I dont think I've ever seen a photo of this that wasnt a photoshopped clay buck... at best. To their credit they actually did photoshop up some interior renderings but how the drivetrain works was never really clear... it was supposed to be some kind of V8 hybrid? But it ended up being a very ill handling 1,680kg (!!!!) car running a very old tech 4.5 quad cam V8...

Back