Porsche's Gran Turismo 7 Vision GT Car: New Details Coming in December

• Thread starter Famine
  • 181 comments
1815 kg according to the article on the news page. Not confirmed, but why wouldn’t it be heavy? Electric cars (modern cars in general really) usually are.
Tentative production name: Porsche Chungus.

Limited Edition

ZPorsche3.png

Last edited:
I would trade this futuristic cars for the new and old Porsche race cars:

Porsche 911 GT3 R '20
Porsche 911 GT2 RS '21
Porsche 935 Racecar '19
Porsche Spyder 918 Racecar Prototype '18
Porsche 911 GT1 '98

I'm not a fan of the GT Vision initiative at all. I think it's corny and pretentious. IMO, these cars serve more as the self-promotion of the GT franchise itself than they do produce fun and consumer entertainment from the game.

Last edited:
I would trade this futuristic cars for the new and old Porsche race cars:

Porsche 911 GT3 R '20
Porsche 911 GT2 RS '21
Porsche 935 Racecar '19
Porsche Spyder 918 Racecar Prototype '18
Porsche 911 GT1 '98

I'm not a fan of the GT Vision initiative at all. I think it's corny and pretentious. IMO, these cars serve more as the self-promotion of the GT franchise itself than they do produce fun and consumer entertainment from the game.
The car trading argument again? For starters, you can't trade one car for five, they all take months to model :D.
Secondly though, of course we can all find cars we'd rather swap for other cars, I'd happily throw out nearly any car if it meant I could have a 1959 Cadillac Series 62 6-window sedan, but I can't, I can only daydream.
If there were no cars anyone playing would rather swap for something else, the car list would be irrefutably perfect, which is impossible.
Besides, why trade cars? What would the wise young Mexican girl say?

Doubtful. At 0:09 there’s a sign that says Tokyo Expressway, which makes it likely that all night scenes were captured there.

I have also arrived at the conclusion that Tokyo Expressway was their way of making Special Stage Route tracks more real and consistent with an actual location. I hope I’m wrong, as SSR5 was great and deserving of being in GT7.
I'm sure by this image I think that's SSR5 coming back

Special Stage Routes aren't coming back, they've been replaced by Tokyo Expressway. That's surely been pretty obvious ever since we first saw the latter, surely? There would be no sense in having both.

The car trading argument again? For starters, you can't trade one car for five, they all take months to model :D.
Secondly though, of course we can all find cars we'd rather swap for other cars, I'd happily throw out nearly any car if it meant I could have a 1959 Cadillac Series 62 6-window sedan, but I can't, I can only daydream.
If there were no cars anyone playing would rather swap for something else, the car list would be irrefutably perfect, which is impossible.
Besides, why trade cars? What would the wise young Mexican girl say?
Closed literality is not smart. If you don't understand rhetoric and figurative language, I can't help it. Have a good time.

Last edited:
these cars serve more as the self-promotion of the GT franchise itself than they do produce fun and consumer entertainment from the game.
Well, yes, they serve as self-promotion/a way to create closer bond between PD and the manufacturers. It also works as a promotion for the brands themselves. Yet, many of those cars are still fun to drive, and they do feel different and they do have intriguing/unique features.

One fear that I would have about the VGTs, is that they would just have different exteriors, but would drive the same, which is not the same at all.

Special Stage Routes aren't coming back, they've been replaced by Tokyo Expressway. That's surely been pretty obvious ever since we first saw the latter, surely? There would be no sense in having both.
Well, SSR5 and SSR10 don't look like Tokyo Expressway at all, the only similarity is the fact that they're in a japanese highway at night. I don't see why tokyo should replace those? Why not having both SSR5, SSRX and tokyo together? SSRX is in GT Sport, so why not bring back other Routes since one of them is already in the game? I don't see why they shouldn't, SSR5 is an iconic track of GT1. Too important to not be in the game

Well, SSR5 and SSR10 don't look like Tokyo Expressway at all, the only similarity is the fact that they're in a japanese highway at night. I don't see why tokyo should replace those? Why not having both SSR5, SSRX and tokyo together? SSRX is in GT Sport, so why not bring back other Routes since one of them is already in the game? I don't see why they shouldn't, SSR5 is an iconic track of GT1. Too important to not be in the game
Apart from the fact that they aren't set in Japan at all. Or at least, everything about SSR5 and CSR5 suggests that they are set in Europe, such as the road signage.

Last edited:
We have Special Stage Route X, which sort of counts, even if it's an American high-speed oval track as opposed to the possibly Japanese city street roads in the previous games predating GT Sport.

We'll see, given that they had quite a following in the previous games, anything can still happen even if it means they're joined up with the Tokyo Expressway tracks.

Honestly, GT7 just needs Special Stage Route 5 (original and Clubman) and Route 11.

Last edited:
If the 1800kg weight is correct, then it's a missed opportunity in my opinion. All supercar EVs tend to go the same route nowadays: big power, big weight. Hell the Rimac Nevera weighs almost the same as this concept but it has almost twice the power. In real life the big battery also has advantage of longer range, but we don't need to worry in game so it's not an issue.

What I want to see is half of this car. Keep the weight <1000kg, power around 500 HP, keep it RWD only. Same power to weight ratio, double the fun 👍

Last edited:
And my gosh, 1800 kg?!
1815 kg according to the article on the news page.
If the 1800kg weight is correct
I can almost guarantee it isn't, because that's my estimate...
That suggests a total vehicle weight somewhere below 4,000lb (1815kg) but we'll need to wait for official confirmation.
... and I went with the upper bound.

EVs, and EV performance cars, are incredibly difficult to estimate performance from power and weight, and vice versa, especially when you have no particularly useful benchmarks for comparison. Drag racing calculators are of no use.

What I did was to basically assume the VGT was a shorter, lower, two-seat Taycan Turbo S (so... a lot lighter) with probably beefier motors and battery pack (so a little heavier) to account for the 70% extra power, and then drew an estimate of how heavy it could be to still allow it to hit 60mph 0.7s quicker than the 2370kg Taycan.

The absolute heaviest I can see that being is 1900kg. For comparison, the Aspark Owl has 700hp more, on 1900kg, and hits 60mph in an alleged 1.7s, but that's a roadgoing super/hyper/mega/whatevercar. It's likely that the VGT is a bit more lightweight without the fripperies and with this carbotanium alloy, so I nudged the number down to a nice, round, 4000lb - or 1815kg.

Given that the VGT is in fact totally made up, if that's actually the right number, I'll post a bottle of Theakston's Old Peculier to both of you. I think it'll be at that psychological heavy/not-heavy crossover point of 1650kg.

Apart from the fact that they aren't set in Japan at all. Or at least, everything about SSR5 and CSR5 suggests that they are set in Europe, such as the road signage.
Really, you think? I've never thought of the SS tracks as being anything but Japanese Highways.

The signs, other than obviously not having Japanese, look the same to me.

Shuto_expressway_ariake_junction.jpg

Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 06-40-33 Gran Turismo Sport - Gameplay Unveil Trailer PS4.jpg

We have Special Stage Route X, which sort of counts, even if it's an American high-speed oval track as opposed to the possibly Japanese city street roads in the previous games predating GT Sport.

We'll see, given that they had quite a following in the previous games, anything can still happen even if it means they're joined up with the Tokyo Expressway tracks.

Honestly, GT7 just needs Special Stage Route 5 (original and Clubman) and Route 11.
To be clear I'm not saying I personally don't want the SSR5/11 to return, I do prefer them to the soulless, grey dullness of Tokyo Expressway. I just always thought it was obvious they were a replacement for those tracks, given their (to me) obvious similarities in design and that they seemed to be set on the same roads. I can't see why they would have two locations almost exactly the same.

Maybe the SSR tracks could return renamed as Tokyo Expressway routes though.

As you say SSRX is completely different, it's set somewhere else and isn't visually set on elevated road highways.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 06-40-33 Gran Turismo Sport - Gameplay Unveil Trailer PS4.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 06-40-33 Gran Turismo Sport - Gameplay Unveil Trailer PS4.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Really, you think? I've never thoght of the SS tracks as being anything but Japanese Highways.
Yes, don't get me wrong these tracks appear to be completely fictional layouts, but the signs point to locations in Europe and some landmarks point to a European setting too.

There was an interesting thread about those tracks location a while ago, I can't find it right now. But also when you make the textures lighter you can see much more detailed architecture as well, that you can't see at all due it being at night in the games.

Last edited:
Really, you think? I've never thought of the SS tracks as being anything but Japanese Highways.

View attachment 1099052

View attachment 1099054

To be clear I'm not saying I personally don't want the SSR5/11 to return, I do prefer them to the soulless, grey dullness of Tokyo Expressway. I just always thought it was obvious they were a replacement for those tracks, given their (to me) obvious similarities in design and that they seemed to be set on the same roads. I can't see why they would have two locations almost exactly the same.

As you say SSRX is completely different, it's set somewhere else and isn't visually set on elevated road highways.
I think the layout of the Special Stage Route 5 is fantastic. I know it is fictitious, there is no city that can translate this layout. Therefore, I would find it fantastic if this same track were to be recreated in the form of an autodrome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Closed literality is not smart. If you don't understand rhetoric and figurative language, I can't help it. Have a good time.
I... will? I have no quarrel with you, it's just that I've seen this complaint so many times, I thought I'd weigh in.
VGT cars absolutely are a promotional exercise first and foremost, and the results have been of mixed quality.
There's only been three or four per year on average, though; they're overrepresented in GTS because of the focus on Gr.1/3/4 variants and general lack of other cars, but in GT7 I'm sure there'll be many more real cars to choose from.

I... will? I have no quarrel with you, it's just that I've seen this complaint so many times, I thought I'd weigh in.
VGT cars absolutely are a promotional exercise first and foremost, and the results have been of mixed quality.
There's only been three or four per year on average, though; they're overrepresented in GTS because of the focus on Gr.1/3/4 variants and general lack of other cars, but in GT7 I'm sure there'll be many more real cars to choose from.
The Alfa 155 being one. Possibly GT500 Supra and GT-R.

This as well… IF it’s in the game. ;)

Last edited:

View attachment 1099052

View attachment 1099054

Yes, don't get me wrong these tracks appear to be completely fictional layouts, but the signs point to locations in Europe and some landmarks point to a European setting too.

There was an interesting thread about those tracks location a while ago, I can't find it right now. But also when you make the textures lighter you can see much more detailed architecture as well, that you can't see at all due it being at night in the games.
On the original circuit there are signs for the Palazzo Pitti in Florence on SSR5, and a campanile (although I don't recall which one; it's not the most famous one, Giotto's campanile, though) where the two circuits split (or I guess join on the reverse circuits).

All this talk about a potential 1800kg weight... We just have to wait and see. Considering this is a concept, I would be surprised if they don’t theorize a concept battery that has 3-5x higher density by weight then current technology. What we have seen in the interior photos shows little to no sound deadening, carpet, etc. The Porsche announcement also mentions use of carbon and titanium to make the car lightweight. I would be surprised if it exceeds ~1550kg in game specs.

Come on, folks. The Taycan is about 2300kg. A GT3 R is less than 1300kg. So, 1800kg puts it right in the middle. I’m sure it’ll handle better than a GT-R NISMO road car.

All this talk about a potential 1800kg weight... We just have to wait and see. Considering this is a concept, I would be surprised if they don’t theorize a concept battery that has 3-5x higher density by weight then current technology. What we have seen in the interior photos shows little to no sound deadening, carpet, etc. The Porsche announcement also mentions use of carbon and titanium to make the car lightweight. I would be surprised if it exceeds ~1550kg in game specs.
The Porsche VGT's interior is also said to be made out of vegan materials, so that could also contribute to it being lighter than previously thought.

All this talk about a potential 1800kg weight... We just have to wait and see. Considering this is a concept, I would be surprised if they don’t theorize a concept battery that has 3-5x higher density by weight then current technology.
I mean, at that point it's just made of imaginarium. It's one thing to put together a car design based on existing technology that's either too expensive or too difficult to use to make a commercially viable product. It's another thing entirely to speculate technology because you think it would be cool. That's how we ended up with the Chaparral and the Tomahawk.

If you're going to say that it's powered by things that don't exist, you might as well just say it's powered by a black hole. Or anti-matter. Or just have it be powered by the driver's unstoppable will to win. It works in anime, right?

I mean, at that point it's just made of imaginarium. It's one thing to put together a car design based on existing technology that's either too expensive or too difficult to use to make a commercially viable product. It's another thing entirely to speculate technology because you think it would be cool. That's how we ended up with the Chaparral and the Tomahawk.

If you're going to say that it's powered by things that don't exist, you might as well just say it's powered by a black hole. Or anti-matter. Or just have it be powered by the driver's unstoppable will to win. It works in anime, right?
Yeahp, in Initial D. 🎵DEJA VU I'VE JUST BEEN IN THIS PLACE BEFORE🎵

Jokes aside, all this talk about the speculated weight of the car reminds me that EV's are like the earliest cellphones, they were big, bulky and wouldn't fit in your pocket. With the rise of smartphones, they act like small computers now, or even small handheld game consoles and they do fit in your pocket.

That being said, because sometimes even the battery can take up most of the bulk of the car (I remember hearing that the battery on the upcoming Ford F-150 Lightning weighs up to 1800lb, almost as much as a Kei car or an LMP2).

The Porsche VGT being made out of carbon and titanium, and as mentioned in my previous post that it uses vegan materials in its interior, could help in trying as much as possible to keep the weight down, but the speculated weight of 1800kg is still heavy in supercar and hypercar territory, almost nearing that of the original Bugatti Veyron.

But, the Jaguar VGT Coupe is an extraordinary case as it has a 1,000hp electrical system and weighs 1,400kg. I'm sure the SV will be a little bit heavier due to the extra motor it has to increase its power.

Let's be honest, it's not real, it can weigh whatever they want it to weigh. Same for all these VGTs.
And while my guess for it is reasonable and actually based on something, it's literally just my guess.

Nobody should be taking it as factual enough to draw battle lines over it; I don't, and it's my guess in the first place.

Back