project 12/7

• Thread starter bla
  • 8 comments

bla

Can somebody get me some info on the original 97 tvr speed 12 prototype?
So far the best info I´ve got was on ultimate car page where a guy said there was only two road cars and talked about some technical issues, but I can´t get nothing on the race version, wich I believe ran for a limited amount of time. The only thing I do know is that the hp was restrictd.

If it helps here is the car (not to be confused with the scania sponsored cerbera speed 12, although race info on that would also be welcome)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• speed 12.jpg
    speed 12.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 95
The race car had 660Bhp and weighed 900kg's. The road one's are in museums. The original road car concept shared the 660Bhp that a race version (which was the only reason TVR intended to build the car) and later it was upped to a claimed 800Bhp. There really isn't much info the old Speed 12, it raced, it didn't do all that well with reliability problems and it ended it's life when the FIA GT-1 class was abandoned along with the CLK-GTR GT1, 911 GT1 ect.

The Cerbera Speed 12 however, I have quite a bit on that car. It was buit to race like the original, it was also claimed at 800Bhp. The reality was it had far more than 800Bhp, 800 was the figure TVR took when it was dyno'd and as it was going throuhg the rev's it snapped one of the holding cables. It never got dyno'd again but the two speed 6 engines use to created the speed 12 engine were both rated at 430Bhp each in an untuned state. The real Bhp figure is probably around 1100. The car was never put into production because Peter Wheeler drove one home on night, and it scared him ****less. Considering he's a pro TVR Tuscan challenge driver, and he test drives all TVR's himself as well as having test drivers he hires, he knows how to handle a high power supercar. He cancelled the project shortly after that.

That fia gt-1 partipation was in 97 or 98? It raced against the clk gtr-1 and 911 gt1? Interesting.

I´ve red the dyno and Peter Wheeler´s story: no wonder he was scared!

I did some more research and discovered the scania speed 12 achieved a single victory at Silverstone I believe.

About the race versions I belive there was actually three: the one I posted already, the 2000 scania sponsered one

Attachments

• donington-2001-07-22-027.jpg
    donington-2001-07-22-027.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 37
and the 2001 race car

Thanks man. I was starting to wonder wether I would get a reply.
If you find somehting else let me know.

Theres been a few different versions of the Cerbera Speed 12 race car, there was a white one that raced along side the black one, and there was a purple one as well. I presume this is the one you meant to put in the first pic, sponsored by Scania.

The scania one is my second pic.

The white one raced along side the black one? As in the white one in my first post? Because that is the 97 (or 98?) race car based on the prototype and I think the black one is a 2001 race car.

The purple one was the original speed 12 road car.

*oops, only now have I realized I posted the wrong pic in my second reply. It indeed supposed to be a scania speed 12 pic.
... and how do I put an image back into a post?

No, there was a white Cerbera Speed 12, when the black one was being raced TVR had two cars in their team, the otrher was white. Also there was a purple Cerbera speed 12 race car, I saw it at the NEC motorshow once but I never saw it race.

I can't find any for the life of me, maybe my memory is playing up on that one, but there was a year with two of them that were both different colours.

Back