• 28 comments

Tom

Voice of Gran Turismo
Premium
United Kingdom
Kent
tombrookscomms
Hi all,

I wanted to share with you a new series to my YouTube channel called 'Project Alfa', where I am working alongside my Dad to restore an Alfa Romeo 147 GTA that I purchased back in April. The whole idea is to get the car back to factory condition and upgrade some mechanical parts along the way, including putting a Limited Slip Differential in the car and upgrade the standard suspension to make it handle as well as it should've done when launched!

So far we have launched two episodes:

Episode 1: Buying an Alfa Romeo 147 GTA for £5K!

Episode 2: Removing the engine from my 147 GTA!

I really hope you enjoy the series and keep checking in as we update things. Please subscribe and hit the notification icon if you would like to!

---

Update - Episode 3: Painting our 147 GTA

Update - Episode 4: Upgrading and modernising our 147 GTA

Update - Episode 5: Will our 147 GTA fire up after its rebuild?

Update - Episode 6: Our 147 GTA is (nearly) finished!

Update - Episode 7: MOT, Suspension, and Detailing

Update - Episode 8: Our 147 GTA is done!

Last edited:
Nice, great choice for a project car. These ones deserve to be saved for sure. Friend of mine has a Busso 3.0 V6 swapped 156, stunning sounds. I have watched the videos and they are good fun to watch. Keep it up.

Nice, great choice for a project car. These ones deserve to be saved for sure. Friend of mine has a Busso 3.0 V6 swapped 156, stunning sounds. I have watched the videos and they are good fun to watch. Keep it up.
Thank you, @PASM. I'm shooting the next vlog with a bit of a different style in that it'll be filmed over several days and stitched together, so should hopefully be a bit more comprehensive.

Tom
Hi all,

I wanted to share with you a new series to my YouTube channel called 'Project Alfa', where I am working alongside my Dad to restore an Alfa Romeo 147 GTA that I purchased back in April. The whole idea is to get the car back to factory condition and upgrade some mechanical parts along the way, including putting a Limited Slip Differential in the car and upgrade the standard suspension to make it handle as well as it should've done when launched!

I really hope you enjoy the series and keep checking in as we update things. Please subscribe and hit the notification icon if you would like to!

Awesome project. Also nice that you are able to do this with you father.

Nice project.

You evitated the rusty Alfa, and the rusty garage owner :cheers:

Just to the engine, it's a good deed.

Awesome project. Also nice that you are able to do this with you father.
Thanks, @GTP_Dutchy!
Nice project.

You evitated the rusty Alfa, and the rusty garage owner :cheers:

Just to the engine, it's a good deed.
Many thanks!
What is the reason for not restoring the Jaguar first?
As mentioned in the first video, the idea is that the 147 will be a far quicker restoration due to less work needing to be done, it being newer so more parts are available. The Jag is a long term project and will take time, whereas the Alfa should be finished by winter, and therefore also helps showcase Dad's skillset sooner as he builds up his new business, Brooks Restorations.

Last edited:
Alfa romeos are beautiful cars I nearly came to close to getting one as a first car but my dad warned me not to buy it.

It's a looker!
Also for the reliability side of things yeah, they can be unreliable in some fronts but the 3.2 Busso engine is bulletproof if mantained correctly, there are a good number of these with high mileage in Italy and still going strong.

Amazing job overall @Tom (& Dad) I enjoyed watching these and look forward to the final episode. I must say they done a great job on the detailing of the body work it looks like it just got delivered factory fresh and like a mirror it was so clean, I bet you are pleased with the finished look and paint.
I have been tempted by an Alfa in the past as I really like the shape and look of them but like above reliability scared me a little as it would have been a daily commute car. I have been eyeing up a few older cars though as I have a bit more time now. Following with interest. Do you think you will keep it long term now as an investment or have you the restore bug for another? Well done :cheers:

Amazing job overall @Tom (& Dad) I enjoyed watching these and look forward to the final episode. I must say they done a great job on the detailing of the body work it looks like it just got delivered factory fresh and like a mirror it was so clean, I bet you are pleased with the finished look and paint.
I have been tempted by an Alfa in the past as I really like the shape and look of them but like above reliability scared me a little as it would have been a daily commute car. I have been eyeing up a few older cars though as I have a bit more time now. Following with interest. Do you think you will keep it long term now as an investment or have you the restore bug for another? Well done :cheers:
Thanks so much! I'm really pleased with the car, I think it looks great and that Dad has done such a good job on the restoration.

In all honesty, I'm not 100% sure on what I'm going to do with the car after we're done with it. Part of me would love to keep it, but I only have limited room available and my next project (a Honda S2000) isn't far away, so that needs to be considered. In all likelihood, I'll probably do a few car shows with the 147 GTA and either sell it later this year or perhaps keep it and then sell it in the spring next year if room permits.

No problem, thanks Tom. I look forward to the Honda S2000 next then, another nice rare car you don't see many these days in the UK. Good choices :cheers:

Nice one once again @Tom hope to see an update on the e-type when you're done with this one. Love to see you handle that one with your dad.

Tom
Hi all,

---

Update - Episode 3: Painting our 147 GTA

Update - Episode 4: Upgrading and modernising our 147 GTA

Update - Episode 5: Will our 147 GTA fire up after its rebuild?

Update - Episode 6: Our 147 GTA is (nearly) finished!

Update - Episode 7: MOT, Suspension, and Detailing

Do you have any pictures? I'd love to take a look but this is all YouTube links and I don't do YouTube for obvious reasons.
Post pics if you took any.
I did an AR but it was a much much older vintage one.

What a beautiful car. 😍

I'm very sad this era* of Alfa Romeo did not make it to US shores

*this bit here:
ALFA.JPG

Last edited:
Cute little car, reminded me of the Chevy Vega or the AMC Gremlin. Maybe a little bit of the Pacer thrown in.
😃
On a more relevant note, what games do you play and in what platforms?

Last edited:
Back