Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
LOL racing games are unplayable when framerate fluctuates.
try even hotlapping and upon that turn game hitches/slows down. that good for you?

Depends on how much, at what speeds and how the game's input polling works. In pCARS 1, I had no trouble driving when framerates kept changing between 40-60.

The reason is this: at 30 FPS any change you see on the screen will appear with 33 ms delay, since that is the time it takes to render a frame. At 60 FPS this is number 16 ms. Let's ignore the latency of our monitors for now. Those numbers are not even close to the average reaction time of a human, which is around 250-300 ms, so in fact when a sim doesn't have significant input lag, like pCARS 1, the significance of the difference between 30 and 60 FPS is not as big as one would think with enough practice, although it gets noticeable with Formula cars more for example, due higher speeds requiring better reaction times.

try even hotlapping and upon that turn game hitches/slows down. that good for you?

I played pCARS 1 on my aging Phenom II x4 965 CPU for years during development, with varying framerates as I mentioned above, sometimes even when I was alone on the track. I could still manage to post competitive lap times on the leaderboards. Is it slightly harder to do it that way? Yes. Impossible? No.

Last edited:
I'm not saying framerate of 35 fps is good, but it is not fluctuating in those videos. Its pretty consistent :)
LOL its tanked. less things on screen and it fluctuates more

Depends on how much, at what speeds and how the game's input polling works. In pCARS 1, I had no trouble driving when framerates kept changing between 40-60.
Hey, I'll have no problem taking your car to the drag strip with three wheels only. Thing is, why on earth would you do that?

keyword here: OPTIMIZE! words and excuses aren't cutting it any more.

Last edited:

Hey, I'll have no problem taking your car to the drag strip with three wheels only. Thing is, why on earth would you do that?
I think this is a pointless discussion. Everyone wants FPS to be as high as possible. I personally dislike when it's lower than 100 fps cause I have 120 Hz monitors and Oculus.

FPS is not just about the graphics, especially in a sim.

Indeed, why? It wouldn't change anything for our discussion, the situation you described would prove nothing.

Oh, is that all? We are good then, since SMS is doing that with pCARS 2. Seems this was all a big misunderstanding, am I right?

So you were done talking crap in the "Chest beating" thread in Forza 7 section where you were holding hands with the Fordguy and now you have moved over with the same arguments in here?

Cant you just let game developers do their own thing without you criticising a game that is not finished yet?

We get what you are saying, 60fps for you is the cream ala cream, but some stuff that a developer wants in a game maybe makes it hard to hit it... cant you just accept it for now?

Last edited:
Indeed, why? It wouldn't change anything for our discussion, the situation you described would prove nothing.
well you being a tester and having to put up with bad framerates is a completely different situation than me, that i am a customer.
I played pCARS 1 on my aging Phenom II x4 965 CPU for years during development, with varying framerates as I mentioned above, sometimes even when I was alone on the track, due to the graphics settings I used. I could still manage to post competitive lap times on the leaderboards. Is it slightly harder to do it that way? Yes. Impossible? No.
you make it sound like ****** framerates in a racer are an extra challenge. well its not!

From a customer side, its like I said: you can go race a car with all wheels on, or with three wheels. I'm pretty sure I know the configuration 99 out of 100 customers will prefer.
or if that analogy you cant understand, say you got one racecar and two possible drivers. one has got very bad eyesight, road fluctuates in front of him when his problem hits him, other has 20/20 vision. who do you pick for your racecar?

So you were done talking crap in the "Chest beating" thread in Forza 7 section where you and holding hands with the Fordguy and now you have moved over with the same arguments in here?

Cant you just let game developers do their own thing without you criticising a game that is not finished yet?

We get what you are saying, 60fps for you is the cream ala cream, but some stuff that a developer wants in a game maybe makes it hard to hit it... cant you just accept it for now?
first of all Im holding hands with nobody. go read my posts.
second, I'm not criticisng a game that is not finished, I'm basing on previous game, a game I bought day1 and as the biggest cluster**** on console ive yet seen.
I dont want to go in detail, I said this before. I dont aim to harm pcars2. But you better not push me like i'm trolling, I said I am still very polite in my critique, there are many more things one could say.

Last edited:
Humor me one last time. What exactly is unplayable about a sim if the frame rate isn't stable 100% of the time? Can you provide video evidence of pCars 1 slowing down as you say that would affect you during a hot lap?

Humor me one last time. What exactly is unplayable about a sim if the frame rate isn't stable 100% of the time? Can you provide video evidence of pCars 1 slowing down as you say that would affect you during a hot lap?
Humor you, one last time!

watch

and bye!

well you being a tester and having to put up with bad framerates is a completely different situation than me, that i am a customer.

You think I'm not a customer of many other game companies, for whom I didn't work for? :)

you make it sound like ****** framerates in a racer are an extra challenge. well its not!

No, what I tried to make it sound like is that fluctuating frame rates don't necessarily create an unplayable game.

From a customer side, its like I said: you can go race a car with all wheels on, or with three wheels. I'm pretty sure I know the configuration 99 out of 100 customers will prefer.
or if that analogy you cant understand, say you got one racecar and two possible drivers. one has got very bad eyesight, road fluctuates in front of him when his problem hits him, other has 20/20 vision. who do you pick for your racecar?

Look, like I mentioned above, considering human reactions, rendering and monitor latency, at 30 FPS you will react after about 300-350 milliseconds to something in a game. At 60 FPS this goes down to about 280-330 milliseconds. If to you that is the equivalent of comparing a driver to serious vision problems to someone who doesn't have that, well, I'm not really sure what to say to that, but that is for sure the largest exaggeration I read today.

Again, 60 FPS is better, but I still like to have the option to go below that when the sim can provide meaningful features in recompense.

Last edited:
Look, like mentioned above, considering human reactions, rendering and monitor latency, at 30 FPS you will react after about 300-350 milliseconds to something in a game. At 60 FPS this goes down to about 280-330 milliseconds. If that is the equivalent of comparing a driver to serious vision problems to someone who doesn't have that, well, I'm not really sure what to say to that, but that is for sure the largest exaggeration I read today.
no my friend, a racing game that drops frames as I start to turn, thats unplayable for me. period.
for my enjoyment, its the direct equivalent of picking a vision impaired driver for my racecar.
like or not, that's how it is. and if you cant understand that, I hope your line of testing is not on the TQM side.

ps oz we said our byebyes

Coming from the guy who asked for the developers to not waste too much time optimizing their game for pad users because most are young kids?

Asking? Who I? no no no, I asked no one about anything. No, that is my standpoint on how things should be :P I am asking nothing here nor have I said that any studio should follow my "advice" about how they should go about doing their stuff. I vote with my wallet, if something is good they get my vote so to speak, but I do think that no additional developing around the pad is necessary in a game like PC, because there are sufficient settings in there to make it good if you don't like how the default settings are. All they need to do is make a good default setup for those that cant get it right. It is unnecessary to make optimisations like Turn10 have done in forza where the wheel users are getting the shaft. Game feels super with a pad but the car turns to late and it feels disconnected from you. bläää

If you interpret how I stand about the pad vs wheel as asking a developer then so be it, but I have not asked anything. I am a person that dont even put spices on my food because I want to know what it taste like just like the chef intended. PC2 has impressed me more than games like GTS and Forza7 right now, they have all good points but it seems SMS is like a Ninja. Without "beating themselves on the chest" they released epic trailers that hit all the checkboxes for me. The one with the headlights being reflected of other cars was so perfect.

Then they said that they cant promise a solid 60fps on the consoles because of PC2 being packed with things that simply don't allow for it on a console. Of course I would like a game to run at highest possible fps but if it drops down a bit so be it. If you like 60fps go buy an more arcade:ish title instead that probably would appeal to you more. But the thing is, I am on pc so I can get all of those ie 60fps and all the goodies underneath :P wiee :D

Asking? Who I? no no no, I asked no one about anything. No, that is my standpoint on how things should be :P
you say joypad is for kids, but it seems you are a kid yourself too. reality: if "kids" dont buy the game, they've gone belly-up before you count to 10.

but I do think that no additional developing around the pad is necessary in a game like PC, because there are sufficient settings in there to make it good if you don't like how the default settings are.

I tried every setting I could find and couldn't even come close to making PC1 tolerable with a pad so they most certainly did need to make some adjustments in that area (which they seemingly have). This isn't exactly some new problem for SMS either as both Shift games were less than stellar with a controller (and not much better with a wheel), I never played the Test Drive game they did so I'm not sure if that also had issues.

The only slowdown I've experienced were actually in Shift 1 at Road America. The game slowed to walking pace in the long right-hander, after the underpass. 60FPS, 40FPS, whatever. If SMS choose to give us the best experience possible, the way they see fit, so be it. I'm happy to go through purchasing their latest project. SMS are being so transparent, it's ridiculous.

I've been playing pCARS1 on XBone for almost a year now. Since I figured out how to set my controller up I have had no issues with the sim. The handling feels fine. I dont have as much trouble driving as I see people complain about. It feels like when I used to have a wheel and played GTR 2 and rFactor on PC. So I'm really looking forward to pCARS2. Even more so when I get another wheel..

Excluding the MARC cars. Although we'd love to see those. *hint hint*
:banghead: You are right! Does this include Pirelli? ;) I may have to make a wish.
AGT-Smith-Marc-Car-Leads-2-Shannons-QR-850.jpg

Back