Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Would anyone like to offer some HDTV buying advice? I'm going to get an upgrade soon and I want to properly check things out. I've had the same Vizio 32" for almost 10 years now (wow didn't even realize!) and it's just not cutting it anymore. It's 720p and with the quality of games currently coming out on the PS4 I can't not use it to it's full potential.

Ultimately I would like to get 4K so it's ready for an eventual upgrade to PS4 Pro but to be honest that's not a requirement. I'm more about budget. Everyone I know has Vizio because they're cheap and don't break. But I don't know about any other brands and I may be keeping myself from an equally good deal. What I'm looking for is 4K at 46-48" and hopefully under $500. If 4K is too expensive 1080p at 48" can be done for $400 on the Vizio website. Is there better out there or should I stick to my gut?

Yup, same issue for me! after three days of solo races etc, I thought I would jump into Career and start with my fav hot hatch around Brands, but could not do anything other than spin 180degrees!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Like no matter how slow or straight you come into the first turn, mid way through it just goes away.

For anyone on the fence about getting PCARS 2, I'd say it's a good buy. Sure, there are some bugs, but nothing I've noticed that is gamebreaking for the most part.

I've seen people saying the ice tires are broken, but how often are you to use them under normal circumstances? The oval racing aspect could use a bit of an overhaul, but that's more of a niche thing.

It has it's bugs no doubt, but it's nothing that can't be reworked in the span of a year. As a guy who primarily hot laps tracks solo during practice, the driving aspect is miles ahead of PCARS 1. The graphics seem to have taken a bit of a hit on the standard PS4, but that's not a huge issue to me.

The game can only get better, folks. So far, I'm really enjoying the diversity in PCARS 2, and the game overall. If anyones on the fence, I say go for it!

This place is the best out there so I have to ask. Is the game really that buggy? the NeoGaF thread is filled with angry people.

I think some people are being quite crude about the game because after the experience of early days with PCars1 these bugs should/could have been avoided.

Some bugs like the settings not saving properly or tires not getting into temperature are quite easy to spot and only take a few hours playing to realise they are there. Hence some people get mad about them and rant.

I neither love nor hate the game. I just like it. Despite these minor, easy to solve bugs, the game offers good, close racing in an endless array of combinations. It's a good base to create something great.

For me, I am still yet to find the right FFB settings that work with every car under every condition (on rain or cold temperatures I almost get no information through it). I stopped the career because on the GT5 I can't get the tires up to temperature and then I can't race the AI on a decent difficulty level. Also it's a bit annoying not being able to rely on the setups you tried to save.

I just moved into some other areas of the game where I don't need that and happy days. Still enjoying it while they solve these minor issues.

I'm still try to get my head around to what were they thinking when they included snowy races for GT cars on the career, though... :confused::lol:

Last edited:
I think some people are being quite crude about the game because after the experience of early days with PCars1 these bugs should/could have been avoided.

Some bugs like the settings not saving properly or tires not getting into temperature are quite easy to spot and only take a few hours playing to realise they are there. Hence some people get mad about them and rant.

I neither love nor hate the game. I just like it. Despite these minor, easy to solve bugs, the game offers good, close racing in an endless array of combinations. It's a good base to create something great.

For me, I am still to find the right FFB settings that work with every car under every condition (on rain or cold temperatures I almost get no information through it). I stopped the career because on the GT5 I can't get the tires up to temperature and then I can't race the AI on a decent difficulty level. It's a bit annoying not being able to rely on the setups you tried to save.

I'm still try to get my head around to what they were thinking on including snowy races for GT cars on the career... :confused::lol:

Guess that's the issue then. Your thoughts echo my experiences with the original game. When you've been burned before -- any minor bug would get you in the mindset of "here we go again".

Tire physics is parts of the overall car physics. It's the part that touch the ground. It's one of the most important aspect of the simulation
Though they are regularly used interchangeably, handling feel is not physics. It involves physics, but handling combines car physics, tire model physics, and contact surface geometry. I think it is important to differentiate between the different variables that create handling.

iRacing does a terrific job of simulating a car's physics (ie matter and mass in motion). But, truly, all the modern sims do a great job with car physics. Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, Raceroom, Automobilista, etc all have outstanding car physics. Distinguishing one game from another in this aspect is objectively nearly impossible unless you've scrutinized the code or compared the simulation in real life. But that doesn't keep people from trying...:gtpflag:

Force Feedback is another aspect commonly mischaracterized as handling or even physics. But it is something different altogether.

Has anyone had a good experience with the AI balance track to track in a certain class? I want some guidance on what my next season will be, and was hoping there was a class that you don't have to go from 65 to 115 from dry to rain.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Like no matter how slow or straight you come into the first turn, mid way through it just goes away.
For touring cars on the "Slick" tire compound, I've found dropping the tire pressure is a quick fix to help make the car more controllable and help the tires retain heat. I wonder if several car setups have over-inflated tires by default.

I haven't experienced any class yet where the AI are not slow in the rain.

I was just about to come on here to state just that. Clio Cup race at Snetterton. 20 second lead in 4 laps starting last. Got bored so decided to go to slicks really early and won by 4. Puddles look great though.

Speed improvements to AI in wet and snow are already coded internally and will be coming in the next patch.
Great news, but I'm wondering, when I do a race weekend and it starts wet but ends dry (practice to race), even then the AI is still really slow. They only speed back up on separate dry weekends. Will this be looked into?

Early 1st lap behaviour is also drastically improved (1st corner slowdowns). Accelerated times in qualifying being too fast is improved and some minor corner to corner AI speed balancing is in. We'll polish further with each patch.
Talking about that, I think I've found a possible workaround for that. In the Clio Cup season, I've had a grid penalty in 2 races this season and the times have been expected as in without the bug. The other 2 times, I've not had a grid penalty and it's been the standard treatment.

If anyone else wants to test this on purpose or otherwise, I've got a thread about it on the official forums.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...To-The-End-Of-The-Session-Possible-Workaround

Early 1st lap behaviour is also drastically improved (1st corner slowdowns). Accelerated times in qualifying being too fast is improved and some minor corner to corner AI speed balancing is in. We'll polish further with each patch.
Which patch version is it? Also, looks like PC and console version numbers seem different, I think consoles are on 1.3 and pc is on 1.1, are they the same version? Would like some info on that!

I'm having a hard time returning to the game Why?

Graphics :boggled:

No aliasing
All you see is jagged edges everywhere :(
Bad textures everywhere
Looks worst then PCars 1
Last night i played both PCARS 1 and PCARS 2 back to back and it was night and day :(

I really wanted to love this game but how bad the Graphics are on the OG PS4 as stop that

Those issues are even worst in photomode

any chance that sms could patch the aliasing, jagged edges issues? or are those set in stone?

I'm having a hard time returning to the game Why?

Graphics :boggled:

No aliasing
All you see is jagged edges everywhere :(
Bad textures everywhere
Looks worst then PCars 1
Last night i played both PCARS 1 and PCARS 2 back to back and it was night and day :(

I really wanted to love this game but how bad the Graphics are on the OG PS4 as stop that

Those issues are even worst in photomode

any chance that sms could patch the aliasing, jagged edges issues? or are those set in stone?

We're looking to improve the aliasing on cars in a future patch yes. The render team are on it. pCARS2 has fully 3d trees and circa 500k more primitives per track than pCARS1. Add in Livetrack 3.0 and the extra overhead of all AI cars running a full brush model and something has to give. The frame-rates are better and the aliasing on the environment is working fine.

We're running proper EQAA on PS4 but the way in which we mask the cars for things like panning motion blur caused it to be masked out on occasion. But as above, we're on it. I think we can improve it to an extent.

Thanks @IanBell :) I know you and your team are working on improving the game which is why i'm not giving up on it :)
Nah. The game obviously bug ridden and my former Geography teacher's lookalike Ian Bell ignores everyone on the forum and takes the money from Project BUGS 2! I'm going to play Assetto Corsa.

That Geography teacher was pretty cool and didn't bore us to death. Unlike the subject.

Did I troll correctly?

Dammit. I forgot to say how it's simcade and less sim than Mario Kart. I'll do better next time.

I'll try again.

Ian Bell obviously hates Marcello Lotti and caused the downfall of the WTCC by combining FWD only TCR spec cars with an RWD BMW.

Last edited:
So my impression are well I struggle with controller it’s better after I watched a video on settings. I get my ass handed to me but a.i on 40 lol man I must suck. I feel like it should be better with a wheel. It’s a good game but I lm better on project cars 1 and can’t get my head around it. I love cars and car games I can play forza 5/6 and 4 on a hard difficulty and do ok. I can play Project Cars 1 on 60 + and do ok. Project cars 2 though I struggle with it and going back to Project Cars . I wanna enjoy it and do well but not on a difficulty of 10 lol . What’s everyone’s a .i difficulty?! Good game a lot of cars and tracks, I enjoy reading the book as I have collectors on PS4. Guess I’ll keep trying with it or I dunno what to do.

We're running proper EQAA on PS4 but the way in which we mask the cars for things like panning motion blur caused it to be masked out on occasion. But as above, we're on it. I think we can improve it to an extent.
What about the graphics in the rear view mirrors? The image in my rear view mirrors looks like the original GT on PS1... I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure the mirrors on Project Cars 1 looked better than this.

Apart from the mirrors I find the graphics excellent on my PS4 Pro, and Live Track is amazing. Aquaplaning on puddles feels very real :-)

Hi,

I want to fix the cockpit camera completely to the dashboard of the car. Especially the vertical movement drives me crazy, meaning the camera staying level with the horizon when driving over bumps, hills (Eau Rouge!).

In AC I can do this, but I have not found it yet in pc2

Back