Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,195 comments
So Ian while you're here can you confirm if this is true or not, did Co-op career mode miss the cut and won't be in pcars 2?

We're still working on multiplayer features. I have 10 full time dedicated multiplayer coding staff on the project now and we're working very hard to deliver all that we want to deliver. That delivery list is VERY long though and at some point very soon we have to stop new feature work and move to bug fixing and polish. So I can't say for sure yet sorry. Our main focus has been on improving the 'acuity' of the online experience; on dealing properly with griefing (wreckers) and dealing more efficiently with those suffering temporary connection issues.

OK I'm afraid to respond now :)

Look guys, if by me quoting a user who has just recently asked a different question on a different topic, causes two posts by me to be consecutive, and that justifies me being banned.. well. What can I say :)

I'm very eager to follow the forum rules. I also have 17 pages of work in front of me. Nesting each question into a single elongated reply would take me too long. Sorry.
the mods should only give you a warning for stuff like that. But next time, if you find that you have two consecutive posts on a thread, then you can just copy what you have in the second post, replace its content with "Delete" to tell the mods to delete it, and then paste the content of the second post into the first one by editing it. :)

the mods should only give you a warning for stuff like that. But next time, if you find that you have two consecutive posts on a thread, then you can just copy what you have in the second post, replace its content with "Delete" to tell the mods to delete it, and then paste the content of the second post into the first one by editing it. :)

Or I could do a QnA as it flows organically... Again guys, I'm really really busy. Love the site. I'm sure the mods will forgive me trying hard.

@IanBell first of all, I just have to say that I absolutely loved Project Cars. I am a huge fan of endurance racing and I really enjoyed how it was implemented in the game. Can we expect to see more multiclass WEC style races in Project Cars 2?

Or I could do a QnA as it flows organically... Again guys, I'm really really busy. Love the site. I'm sure the mods will forgive me trying hard.
Yeah, don't worry about that, Ian. You've definitely earned a free pass for double-posting here. :lol:

Really looking forward to more details on pCARS 2. 👍

@IanBell: Having covered GT3 racing so well in PC1, plus providing a stellar selection of 2000's LMP machinery, is there any chance of seeing 2000's GT racing get the same treatment in PC2?

GTR2 nostalgia sells (to me), and the idea of seeing the Viper, Lister Storm, Ferrari 550 and Saleen recreated on the current crop of consoles is doing things to my cerebrum just considering it!

@IanBell: Having covered GT3 racing so well in PC1, plus providing a stellar selection of 2000's LMP machinery, is there any chance of seeing 2000's GT racing get the same treatment in PC2?

GTR2 nostalgia sells (to me), and the idea of seeing the Viper, Lister Storm, Ferrari 550 and Saleen recreated on the current crop of consoles is doing things to my cerebrum just considering it!

I can't give specifics (man those car companies are strict these days!) but we have things that we didn't have before from your list that will make you happy.

I'd love to do a new GTR as it was so focused but we need to be more broad these days to sell the amounts required to justify a sequel. Hence the loooong delay since we made GTR2.

I can't give specifics (man those car companies are strict these days!) but we have things that we didn't have before from your list that will make you happy.

I'd love to do a new GTR as it was so focused but we need to be more broad these days to sell the amounts required to justify a sequel. Hence the loooong delay since we made GTR2.

I can completely understand that you need to sell to as many people as possible! Thanks for the reply, and for joining in here on GTPlanet!

@IanBell Have you guys nailed the oval racing? We already seen some pics of Daytona, texas and Indy. Are there more of them? Also glad you're taking the time to answer some of are questions. It's rare for developers to do this. Really appreciate it.:)

Flaunting my new found ability to answer two posts in a row :) I can say that we have a little more in the bank there that you don't know of yet and we have been working for 14 months on perfecting oval AI behaviour... I say 'perfecting' but 'making it good enough' would probably be more accurate as nothing is ever perfect. We also have more US based circuits that we haven't announced yet that should please our fans from that region.

Is support for multiple custom liveries (at the same time) on PC planned?
Also are Texas Motor Speedway and Indianapolis laser scanned or "drone scanned"? (These are my favourite tracks)

Is support for multiple custom liveries (at the same time) on PC planned?
Also are Texas Motor Speedway and Indianapolis laser scanned or "drone scanned"? (These are my favourite tracks)

Unsure on the first question. Normal laser scanned yes on the second question.

Hey @IanBell (if you're still answering questions).

1.) Will we see more Japanese cars in P CARS 2, such as the Nissan GT-R?
2.) Will we be able to make our own custom liveries on console?

Thanks and keep up the great work!! :)

Hey @IanBell (if you're still answering questions).

1.) Will we see more Japanese cars in P CARS 2, such as the Nissan GT-R?
2.) Will we be able to make our own custom liveries on console?

Thanks and keep up the great work!! :)

Yes on 1. No on 2. We created a pretty decent livery system for Shift but it comes with many downsides. You need to reduce the online car limits as the liveries come with a memory overhead. For pCARS we have massive fields on 24 hour tracks like Le Mans and for that reason we had to restrict livery work. It's a tough choice but I think it's the correct one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Mr. @IanBell -- What are you feelings on including stock street legal cars in a "racing sim"? Barring any licensing issues, do you think Aventadors, F40s, Corvette Stingray's have a place in PCars 2? Or is it better to stick with racing vehicles only? I know that PCars 1 included street cars like the Yellowbird, various RUF models, Ford Mustang, etc... How do you see the car list shaping up for PCars 2?

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to come and answer questions here. 👍
Regarding PCARS2, are the minimum PC requirements much changed from PCARS1?

We have massively increased the detail on tracks in terms of using fully 3d trees, adding live track details, etc. So while the overhead is increased, we've also worked very hard to improve efficiency. On dual cards and on AMD kit in particular we are much faster than we were before. We're running at 90+% efficiency with crossfire and we've optimised other areas massively. We have more to do but a fair summation would be that you'll get more quality for less kit in pCARS2.

@IanBell -- With everything currently revolving around the addition of rallycross and the revised "Game Vision" bullet list for PCARS2 on the wmdportal.com website, can you tell us if the hillclimb and touge race disciplines have been pushed back? If they aren't in the scope for PCARS2 at launch, are you considering them as DLC add-ons or will you give them another shot in the next game?

I'm also hoping the stars of Pleiades will have some representatives in the rallycross discipline, plus a roadcar or two. :)

I personally love the direction you guys have taken, and that you're working beyond just another buttoned-down motorsports simulator. The combination of a full simulator feature set and detailed physics engine with some of the sort of content that normally gets left out of "serious" sims -- like roadcars and point-to-point street courses, following @ALB123's question -- is the kind of racing game I've always wanted to play. :cheers:

@IanBell -- With everything currently revolving around the addition of rallycross and the revised "Game Vision" bullet list for PCARS2 on the wmdportal.com website, can you tell us if the hillclimb and touge race disciplines have been pushed back? If they aren't in the scope for PCARS2 at launch, are you considering them as DLC add-ons or will you give them another shot in the next game?

I'm also hoping the stars of Pleiades will have some representatives in the rallycross discipline, plus a roadcar or two. :)

I personally love the direction you guys have taken, and that you're working beyond just another buttoned-down motorsports simulator. The combination of a full simulator feature set and detailed physics engine with some of the sort of content that normally gets left out of "serious" sims -- like roadcars and point-to-point street courses, following @ALB123's question -- is the kind of racing game I've always wanted to play. :cheers:

Yes, we cut Touge and Hillclimb. They were part of the initial 'vision' but not the post 'pre-production' plans. They simply felt excessively niche and didn't appeal to a large swathe of the potential punters. So they're not on the radar at the moment. We've doubled down on the areas people enjoyed and added much more content there, in a big way.

No, sorry.
Will the Falcon V8 Supercar be available in PC2? If so, will there be other V8 Supercars marques available?

MARC Cars Focuses ran PCars livery at the Paul Ricard enduro. Will their range of cars(Focus V8 & Mazda3 V8) make the car list?

Back