Project CARS 3 Announced, Arrives This Summer

• Thread starter Toyota GT1
  • 634 comments
The presentation from the early gameplay video and the info potentially regarding the career mode is throwing up red flags, potentially leaning towards a worrying downgrade from PC2 in the pursuit of chasing casuals.
The Career elements and graphics are very, very similar to The Crew 2...

A professional career mode, like in GRID or TOCA, that would be great.

I have to say PC2's graphics looked better. For some reason, with the higher contrast and vibrant colors, the cars look kinda...plastic?

Edit: I'd like to correct myself - the first part looks oversaturated and contrasty, but the "simracing" part looks a lot closer to PC2. I guess it's just filters used for trailer purposes?

Last edited:
The racing in the gameplay video was done with a controller, it's clear as day. That may be why it looks odd.

If thats the case then maybe the pad implementation wont be to good. Ive got my fingers crossed it will be improved but I dont trust this franchise.

The trailer is definitely...different. I think their aim is to target a broad audience. If that's the case, then mission successful.

But have they alienated the sim fans? We will see as more gameplay videos and reviews come to light. I am hopeful, though!

So disappointed. PCars 2 had such promise. Why does this always happen?

That gameplay looked terrible from the start.

Stop with the glitz and glamour. If you want to get your fanbase excited show a single lap and replay going over all the improvements.

Me personally, I want to hear how it sounds,see how the car behaves etc. Not these street cars power sliding around exotic locations.

Fun career, great. Start as a weekend racer even better. But ground it in reality. Show my mazada on a trailer, other weekend warriors working behind the scenes as cars roar around the track in the background. Create real atmosphere.

This hyper, teenage, mtv crap never goes away. It doesn't belong in a game revolved around real racing. As sterile and strange GT can be at least they stick to whats important.

Last thing. I remember someone from SMS praising the replays in GTsport. Was hoping we would get something close with Pcars3.

Fingers crossed Im wrong but again this is super disappointing. I was such a fan and apologist for Pcars2

The GameRiot video says you start out in "Road E" class vehicles in career mode, and a Honda Civic was mentioned as an example.

The video also mentions the game has a GT86 and Nissan Skyline (R34?).

The video also mentions the Lotus 38.

Hopefully the full roster of classic Lotus race cars from PC1 and 2 are in the game.

PS - @IanBell - have you been working out? Looking good! What date can we expect the game? Will there be any pre-order bonus etc?

I am still confused... This still going to be more simlike right?

What about the content? From trailers it looks like this game ditched all classes expect of GT cars and road cars. Prototypes? Group C? Vintage cars with classic le-mans? Group A? Open Wheel? We are still going to get this? or is this career with road cars and GT cars in the end?

So many questions so many confusion :C

Do SMS not "test out" their trailers on Project Cars fans before releasing them to the public? This really is a bad trailer. I just re-watched the PC2 trailer. If both trailers came out today - I would want to buy PC2, not PC3.

I'm not just looking at the graphics , but the PC2 trailer actually sells the features of the game.

I'm really hoping the game is way better than the trailer.

I have to agree, and am hoping the same.

However, there's still probably gonna be an "Official Launch Trailer" for PC3 too. PC2 also had an announcement trailer first, and that too looks better than PC3's...

So disappointed. PCars 2 had such promise. Why does this always happen?

That gameplay looked terrible from the start.

Stop with the glitz and glamour. If you want to get your fanbase excited show a single lap and replay going over all the improvements.

Me personally, I want to hear how it sounds,see how the car behaves etc. Not these street cars power sliding around exotic locations.

Fun career, great. Start as a weekend racer even better. But ground it in reality. Show my mazada on a trailer, other weekend warriors working behind the scenes as cars roar around the track in the background. Create real atmosphere.

This hyper, teenage, mtv crap never goes away. It doesn't belong in a game revolved around real racing. As sterile and strange GT can be at least they stick to whats important.

Last thing. I remember someone from SMS praising the replays in GTsport. Was hoping we would get something close with Pcars3.

Fingers crossed Im wrong but again this is super disappointing. I was such a fan and apologist for Pcars2
Agreed completely...Not at all the vibe I would hope for and expect

Seems like the flavour in current games are GT3. However, as mentioned, the Lotus 38 is in game. Maybe there will be the roster from PC2. Should be an easy(of course licencing agreement) port. Yes?

And that brings up another point of licences. Will we see all (V8)Supercar models in this game?

Also, will Group A return?

This was my exact thoughts watching it. Looks aimed towards the angry idiots of Forza Online, rather than serious racers.
Note that I don't mean all Forza players are like that, I'm referring to the actual idiot ones.

So on Twitter @IanBell is advising the game retains the simulation experience (better physic etc). What puzzles me then is why SMS would choose to release game play footage that suggests the game is more like Forza than PC2.

Contrast PC2 chase cam:

With PC3:

That's an arcade game.....unless there is a separate sim-focused sandbox game along side this in the vein of Project Cars 1 & 2?

Doesn't this comparison highlight the problem with the chase cam in Project CARS 2? In its current state, the chase cam in pCARS 2 is a bit better than that video, but it is still amongst the least immersive I've experienced because it makes going 150mph feel like 50.

Doesn't this comparison highlight the problem with the chase cam in Project CARS 2? In its current state, the chase cam in pCARS 2 is a bit better than that video, but it is still amongst the least immersive I've experienced because it makes going 150mph feel like 50.
Fair point but I chose the video to showcase the differences in gameplay. One looks like the chase-cam from a sim, the other does not.

The amount of adjustable settings in PC2 are so commonly overlooked, it's honestly tragic.

You can adjust the FoV in every single camera view separately. If you increase the FoV in the chase cam, it translates the sense of speed much better. You can also adjust FoV speed sensitivity, which makes the FoV increase as you go faster, exactly like it does in the shown PC3 gameplay video.

It hurts to see how such passionate game developers, with so much attention to detail are forced to simplifiy certain game elements in order to make the game look better, even though all the options were right there, available in the previous title. I hope they'll still be there in PC3.

The amount of adjustable settings in PC2 is staggering. I could spend hours testing and trying out different things to make it look and feel just the way I like it, and that's why I love that game so much.

I really appreciate their ambition when making these games. But after buying the first two on day 1 and being left disappointed both times, I think I’ll wait this one out until PS5. This wont look or run that good on the standard xbox or ps4 if history if anything to go by.

I hope they keep that sim element in there, maybe even take it a step further. I don’t want to see it more “casual” friendly. We have enough developers doing this for consoles already.

Last edited:
Please.... PLEASE work on a Gamepad this time

This. All of this. Theyre talking Shift and making it fun etc, I hope thats code for making it playable.

If it is, count me in. Hopefully a majority of the content from PC2 makes its way over and this will just win all day long.

The amount of adjustable settings in PC2 are so commonly overlooked, it's honestly tragic.

You can adjust the FoV in every single camera view separately. If you increase the FoV in the chase cam, it translates the sense of speed much better. You can also adjust FoV speed sensitivity, which makes the FoV increase as you go faster, exactly like it does in the shown PC3 gameplay video.

It hurts to see how such passionate game developers, with so much attention to detail are forced to simplifiy certain game elements in order to make the game look better, even though all the options were right there, available in the previous title. I hope they'll still be there in PC3.

The amount of adjustable settings in PC2 is staggering. I could spend hours testing and trying out different things to make it look and feel just the way I like it, and that's why I love that game so much.

I'm aware of the customisable settings, I used 90-100 degree Field of View settings in pCARS 2 which improved things a little bit. However, it still feels tame compared to other games I'm used to playing.

My gripe was with the example provided in the post, there you can see the car reach speeds of more than 160mph and it the car doesn't look like it is traveling much faster than it did at the beginning of the straight.

After watching some other videos & comments, the way it would seem, the trailer coming out of the blue, shortly before the game being released, I suspect Slightly Mad needed to get this out the door before moving onto Codemasters projects, my bet is the physic engine will be toned down so that the need to constantly spend time updating the physics would not be needed as with a sim. I think what ever comes out of the box at game release will be what is, not a lot of future updates.
Could be majorly wrong.

I hope I can save spins in gt cars this time. Might as well have let go of the wheel in the last game. Road cars definitely got better along with rallycross cars.

The game just looks arcade-y. The HUD being simplistic with not much detail, the oddly bright lighting, and the 3rd person camera all give it this vibe. While I have nothing against arcade racing games and I yearn for the day where we have an awesome selection to choose from again (e.g. the PS2 era NFS games, Blur, Burnout 3, etc.), I really hope that this is just a bad trailer and that PC3 isn't dumbed down for broader appeal but instead has even better sim physics. It would be like if the next Assetto Corsa game was an arcade game, the franchise name is synonymous with sim racing.

Back