Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
United Kingdom
Southampton
RacingAtHome
DISCLAIMER: Although the aim is to provide up to date information, the status of information can change over time and any of it may currently be false due to what we do not know. I don't work for SMS. I'm some random guy sitting at home with not much else better to do.

Since it's going to be discussed anyway, it probably makes more sense for it to be in a separate thread than the Suggestions thread. I/We expect it will be the third iteration but @IanBell never specified what it was so I'll keep it as unconfirmed. Maybe it's a bit early. It probably won't be released for a few years but we have information that the next iteration has been signed off.

And I enjoyed posting about the stuff related to PCARS2 in the pre-release. I mainly copied the FAQ. Expect this to be updated a billion times.

FAQ:
What platforms will it be released on?

Current generation on PS4, XB1 and PC.​

When will it be released?
Summer 2020.​

What do we know in terms of a car list?
There isn't an official announcement page so I can't quote anything from there. But if the same idea from PCARS1-2 happened, expect most to come and replacements to come for those which require it. For example, I speculate the M6 GTLM (which replaced the M3 GT from PCARS1) will be replaced by the M8 GTE. I'll link a car list thread when one is created.​

What do we know in terms of a track list?
Again, we don't know. But all the tracks from PCARS1 featured in 2. So based on that, I would expect the same to be the case for the next iteration but we don't know yet. I'll link a track list thread when one is made.​

Can I see some screenshots?
Have a look at the official Project CARS Instagram and Flickr for great screenshots. They currently show PCARS2 images but when they want to, they'll use PCARS3 images for marketing. They'll feature here in some way.​

Can I see some gameplay?
Go to the future and find some. We don't have any. @IanBell will show it when he's allowed to. He's even said he'll show it here first. ;)
We'll show the first gameplay vid here as I like you guys a lot.

What features have been confirmed for Project CARS 3?
Well. At least we can show something here with @IanBell discussing PCARS3.
I'll let you know that pCARS3 will be more 'focused'... More 'fun'... We went to insane lengths with variation in pCARS2 and with that comes infinite balancing issues. We've learned a lesson here and although we have no intention of reducing content, we know what we need to fix, where we made design decisions that were, let's call it, 'sub-optimal'... pCARS3 will be more of a spiritual successor to Shift, but with all of the sim goodness everyone appreciates... The key focus though is on fun and not biting off more than we can properly chew and digest.

Potential Content Discussion
Interlagos

Mosport
IanBell
I'm not saying I wouldn't like Mosport in the game though. It's one of my favourites.

Road Atlanta

On Scanning the Singapore F1 Circuit

Japanese Content
Yes. Working hard on it. If I may say so the licensing issues here are 90% of the problem. I'm not sure if it's a language or a cultural or a whatever issue it is but when we sign a deal with Japanese companies they are always solid, trustworthy and fair. It's getting to that stage that has always been a challenge. When the Japanese come on board they tend to stay the course and are amenable and flexible ongoing. Maybe it's our issue, but we try. We try hard...

Manager from Ginetta

@jake2013guy - I bumped into a Manager from Ginetta at Brands last week and had a chat with him about racing, gaming and Ginetta. He couldn't confirm anything, but said he was hopeful that Ginetta would feature in more games in the future (I have no idea what these could be). I asked about historic models (as that is my main interest) specifically the G4 and G10. I got the impression that inclusion of the G10 in a future game is likely (the Ford 4.7 litre V8 powered car from circa 1965 - the FIA refused to classify it as a GT after its debut win - presumably due to low production numbers).
He didn't make any positive noises about the G4 - I think that car was originally included in GT5.

Also, have a look at the Project CARS website for other details about the game. @Tank621 has a thread on their forums as well if I miss anything...or you're bored enough to read something else.

Last edited:
Part of me feels the game itself won't be called "Project Cars 3." With Ian saying there will be "another Project Cars" instead of outright saying "3" leads me in that direction. If that's the case, the series may lean away from a large sandbox of cars and tracks.

Part of me feels the game itself won't be called "Project Cars 3." With Ian saying there will be "another Project Cars" instead of outright saying "3" leads me in that direction. If that's the case, the series may lean away from a large sandbox of cars and tracks.

Confirming that another game is in development is very different to announcing the title of a forthcoming game. The latter requires way more public fanfare and is usually coordinated with external interests such as the publisher, investors, etc. So I wouldn't read too much into the wording of it.

I think we can rest assured the next Project Cars title will be centered on racing. To me, Project Cars has been all about bringing the most realistic auto racing experience into people's homes. I for one am hoping for a more refined version of what we currently have in PCars 2. The current game is by far the best sim racing title on consoles. There's other racing games that may be more popular, but they are NOT sims. Any racing game that has exact repeatability, lap after lap, isn't simulating anything real.

Project Cars 2 Final...

That's all we need. Project Cars 2 actually working. We got a ton of cars. We got a ton of tracks. We got full weather. We got full 24/7/365 time of day. We got practice, we got qualy, we got multi-class. I mean, that's basically the sport, right there, isn't it?

If only it all worked... If only online worked. If only the rating system worked. If only the lobby system worked. If only the netcode was solid. If only the AI were consistent.

But PC2 is already the complete package. Now it only needs finishing. Polishing. Fine tuning. And PC3 not being allowed out the door until it works.

Project Cars 2 Final...

That's all we need. Project Cars 2 actually working. We got a ton of cars. We got a ton of tracks. We got full weather. We got full 24/7/365 time of day. We got practice, we got qualy, we got multi-class. I mean, that's basically the sport, right there, isn't it?

If only it all worked... If only online worked. If only the rating system worked. If only the lobby system worked. If only the netcode was solid. If only the AI were consistent.

But PC2 is already the complete package. Now it only needs finishing. Polishing. Fine tuning. And PC3 not being allowed out the door until it works.
You really need to let go sms is done with pcars 2 what you have now is Project Cars 2 Final

Last edited:
Advice from someone that thinks GTS is better because it has a more detailed P1 is not something I take seriously.

And the point you missed is that, as we are bandying around names for the new games, I think PC2 Final would be great! Now, back to your P1 and GTS's Zamboni handling with you!

Advice from someone that thinks GTS is better because it has a more detailed P1 is not something I take seriously.
When did i say gts was better? i said the p1 gtr in gts is more detail overall then in pcars 2 ;)

Keep fighting your fight there hopefully one day someone at sms will listen to you ;)

You laugh but my sad realty is i have had more fun with the p1 gtr in my first 100 miles in gts then the 75K plus miles that i driven it in pcars 2.

I love the driven in pcars 2 why more then gts

Plus you have live track 3.0
Chase cam and helmet cam which imho are the best views in any racing game.

But for me it starts with the p1 gtr and right now

GTS>>PCARS 2 in regards to the p1 gtr :crazy:

No where in there do i say gts is better then pcars 2.
I said i had more fun driving the gtr in gts then in pcars 2

Key line
But for me it starts with the p1 gtr and right now

GTS>>PCARS 2 in regards to the p1 gtr not overall.

:rolleyes:

Come on where did i say gts is better then pcars 2? i'm waiting.

@jake2013guy My apologizes for hijacking your thread :)

Last edited:

And the point you missed is that, as we are bandying around names for the new games, I think PC2 Final would be great! Now, back to your P1 and GTS's Zamboni handling with you!
I'd love to know where he said that...

Likely that this game is a next-gen title.
We're all expecting that as it probably won't come out for a number of years.

Maybe it's just me, but when someone says he's had more fun in 100 miles on GTS than 75k miles on PC2, I don't get the impression he thinks PC2 is better. He can huff and puff all he wants to follow up, but the statement has been made.

Or isn't PC2 supposed to be fun?!

Maybe it's just me, but when someone says he's had more fun in 100 miles on GTS than 75k miles on PC2, I don't get the impression he thinks PC2 is better. He can huff and puff all he wants to follow up, but the statement has been made.

It amuses me how you sometimes quote and sometimes not.

When I get the reply in immediately after the post I'm referring, I don't feel the need. If it's back a few posts or on another thread, I do.

But happy to amuse you. It doesn't take much, apparently.

I find it funny how you completely ignored this part from my post.

I love the driven in pcars 2 why more then gts

Plus you have live track 3.0
Chase cam and helmet cam which imho are the best views in any racing game.

Its simple for me its

PCARS2>>GTS overall

But in regards to the p1 gtr
GTS>>PCARS 2 :)

Anyway to at least contribute to this thread i patiently awaiting pcars 3 on my future gaming pc :D:gtpflag:

For me, PCARS>>GTS overall

No matter what car!

A lot of people miss (or ignore) the fact that PC2 is the game I primarily play. I go on GTS whenever there's an update, to get the cars, and check out any tweaks to the handling and tire models. But it is so fundamentally flawed there, I can't stand it for more than a few hours.

I'm on PC2 probably 90% of my seat time. What frustrates me is that so little needs doing to make PC2>>GTS at everything! But it's the little things SMS seem so determined to not bother about.

I care about this game. I worry that silly decisions have relegated it to a minor release, and its player base (at least on console) has diminished to the point of public rooms offering little choice and even less clean racing. While I'm not a fan in any way of GTS, I was a fan of GT5/6, and found their lobby design almost the entire reason for it. I have never played a racing game I found easier to find pickup squeaky clean racing, 24/7. And it had nothing to do with tire models, or full race day emulation, or Livetrack (or the lack thereof!) or track selection, etc..

It boiled down to being easily able to find complete strangers and close friends alike wanting to race clean and fair. No hidden rooms. No guesswork about a room's standards. And 24/7/365.

I miss that. Even GTS no longer has it, Sport Mode has destroyed most of the casual clean scene. But the way to get it is very simple... Have a lobby system that allows us to find each other. The game has everything else we need (mostly!). But the little things are killing it for the casual player, and I hate to burst anyone's hardcore bubble, but that is by far the hugest sector of racing game players. By several orders of magnitude.

So, there it is. In my opinion, PC2>>GTS. But GT5/6>>PC2 because I could play more clean people in it. My seat time in PC2 is a fraction of what GT6's was, and that's absolutely entirely down to not being able to easily find good clean casual racing. I wish it wasn't. But it is...

You care about which game has the better online and i care about which game has the better version of the p1 gtr and as the saying goes let bygones be bygones.:P;):)

Last edited:
A lot of people miss (or ignore) the fact that PC2 is the game I primarily play. I go on GTS whenever there's an update, to get the cars, and check out any tweaks to the handling and tire models. But it is so fundamentally flawed there, I can't stand it for more than a few hours.
People will be shocked to hear this but I do pretty much the same thing as well as making liveries when I want to. I can see your passion for this game throughout your posts and this is probably your best one. I don't see the snide hits at SMS and the passion shows which is what people like to read.

As I've said many times before, GT does the small things very well and that includes UI. As much as I like the PCARS menu, GT's is much brighter, easier to use and gives me the impression they've put a lot into it.

I'd agree on lobby creation. I've made a few lobbies for PCARS as an intended online practice and it definitely can be refined and simplified. For example, allow the player to input the simple settings then allow the others in an advanced tab if they need to. Even lobby naming for public lobbies would be useful.

What I don't like about GT lobbies are the lack of inviting though but that's for another time.

Wow sorry if my passion and love for the p1 gtr bothers you so much :crazy: i must be on the wrong forum/site? :indiff:

Well, there ARE forums for those suffering from OCD! :lol:

Personally I think most would agree that the entire online experience is just a tad more important than the feel of ONE car. But I can see you are the exception! :cheers:

Well, there ARE forums for those suffering from OCD! :lol:

Personally I think most would agree that the entire online experience is just a tad more important than the feel of ONE car. But I can see you are the exception! :cheers:
Edited for reasons :)

Last edited:
Back