Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
The Bend isn't the top of my list. But I'd definitely welcome it. Would be interesting to try an Endurance-style event there. Either WEC LMP1 style or ALMS/ELMS LMP2 style.

If it was either Philip Island or this, I'd choose Philip Island every day and I'm sure everyone else would too but if it was The Bend or Nothing, obviously we'd take The Bend.

On the topic of Australian circuits:
Adelaide
Sydney Motorsports Park
Sandown
Surfers Paradise (Maybe a Classic Layout) ;)
Philip Island
Albert Park

And New Zealand:
Pukekohe. Always Pukekohe.

Looking at wider Asia:
Shanghai International
Guia Circuit
Motegi
Suzuka
Sepang International
Buriram International

Would definitely say that PCARS would definitely benefit from some Asian additions. There are some gems such as Sugo but others are always ones I'd like to see.

And South American tracks.

I agree that I would prefer the assumed track expansion would focus on areas where we have less tracks but even if they would double the amount of tracks there would still be tracks that players miss

I thought PC2 tracks which were scanned (which is only a few) were drone scanned. My guess is that it's not for PC3.

All tracks are obviously welcome, but this one looks very flat - personally I much prefer tracks with elevation changes and motorsport history - there are many tracks which tick both those boxes which could be added.

They used both laser scanning and drone scanning for many tracks but some cannot be drone scanned eg Daytona because of the airport.

Yes - agreed! But more classic racers including 1960's and 1990's Touring Car racers as well please!

The Super Touring Era! The year 97/98 is still fresh in my mind. STW with the epic fights between Winkelhock and Aiello. The BTCC with all those legendary names and cars. Oh boy that indeed would be a dream come-through. Add the Super TC2000 and modern TCR and we have a full blown touringcar game which can last in people's memories for a very very long time.

Last edited:
I think PC3 will be the next dead game.

In PC2 no updates anymore, no new content. Just 4 DLC and that’s it, no support.
For example in GT Sport you get new cars, new events and so on.
In Raceroom you will also get new content like the WTCR 2019 cars and some days ago a new track like Bilster Berg.

In PC2 no updates anymore, no new content. Just 4 DLC and that’s it, no support.
In Raceroom you will also get new content like the WTCR 2019 cars and some days ago a new track like Bilster Berg.
You're comparing PCARS to two very different philosophies of updates. It's like saying "PCARS will die because iRacing is always updated." We don't know. We simply don't know.

giphy.gif

Now back to burning rubber in my P1 GTR :bowdown:👍

Indeed I hope they release PC3 with half the amount of tracks and cars and give me a new one every 2 months so I feel supported.

Sarcasm off, I get the point that the game could have received more support and that there are still some issues that could have been resolved.

But the fact that GT Sport is applauded for releasing new content without taking into account the amount of content the game started with shows that a large portion of the racing community appears to be either brand loyal or thinks continued support is an important factor in a game.

Window lickers will always lick windows.
And PC2 is still a better experience then the other two listed. Especially that first one that is just a blood fart of a mess. But I'll have to regress because of course opinions are like "you know what".

I to like all the amount of cars and tracks that came with or have been added to PC2.

However the GT approach of continued updates and additions has something to be said in its favour. Look at the activity and anticipation over on the Sport thread as soon as an update is announced. It is also a 2ish year old game but you wouldn't think so with the amount of posting going on. It often makes me wonder if it was PD's plan all along to continually drip feed the players new cars and tracks just to keep the interest going. Keeping a brand in the publics eye is a good formula for future success.

Over here it only really livens up when Ian Bell makes an appearance or there's an announcement about the next game. A little extra continued support or content (even paid for) would have gone a long way to keep the game relevant, instead you get folks looking in and seeing it as a "dead game" and assuming the next game will end up the same. (Although it's certainly quite alive on my PS4!)

I understand GTP is just one site but it's probably a good overall indication.

Last edited:
@IfAndOr -- You're absolutely right, but it seems to me that SMS lacked the resources to even consider attempting that, not to mention (also relating to limited resources) that the game launched in such a sorry state (again) that it squandered much of the momentum the game could have carried into such a plan. GT Sport wasn't super popular at launch either, but it cashed in on the Gran Turismo name and over time PD's persistence seems to have paid off, like you said. I know you know PD/GT have a huge advantage over SMS.

Based on Ian's comments, it seems SMS has been talking to investors since the last game, so maybe things will be different.

IMO PCARS2 is a high quality sim as it is, and what is needed most is a considerable infusion of content and breathing room in terms of processing power. Between that and the circumstances of the game's development and launch, waiting for a sequel on the next generation of consoles seems like a sensible course of action this time. But I would welcome a more active support plan for the next game. :)

@IfAndOr -- You're absolutely right, but it seems to me that SMS lacked the resources to even consider attempting that, not to mention (also relating to limited resources) that the game launched in such a sorry state (again) that it squandered much of the momentum the game could have carried into such a plan. GT Sport wasn't super popular at launch either, but it cashed in on the Gran Turismo name and over time PD's persistence seems to have paid off, like you said. I know you know PD/GT have a huge advantage over SMS.

Based on Ian's comments, it seems SMS has been talking to investors since the last game, so maybe things will be different.

IMO PCARS2 is a high quality sim as it is, and what is needed most is a considerable infusion of content and breathing room in terms of processing power. Between that and the circumstances of the game's development and launch, waiting for a sequel on the next generation of consoles seems like a sensible course of action this time. But I would welcome a more active support plan for the next game. :)

I for one would love to see an interim dlc called PC2 Vintage. Take all the vintage cars and tracks and a few new cars and a couple of new old tracks and I’m an immediate buyer.

My wish is for cutting edge graphics, great performance, and improved FFB.

Which is quite a lot to ask for so everything else is just beer money to me.

I say for PC3 just a modest increase in the car roster is neccessary mainly for the groups that lack many cars to begin with aka Can Am. They have added some real nice and even rare cars in each group as is. I think an additional 70-100 cars before DLC would be nice that way the base game would include right around 300 cars at launch and then DLC can bring that number closer to 350. We dont need quantity as much as quality for this game. Tracks, dare I say it we really dont need anymore I mean maybe just the complete IMSA roster of tracks but other than that the 70ish different locations we have now is more than enough. Better graphics and polish along with a rewarding career and an even more customizable freeplay mode where we can finally choose the car and grid set up we want would round out a PC3 game for me.

I know you know PD/GT have a huge advantage over SMS.
Oh yes, PD and Sony are hand in glove so all the free content is understandable (and indeed required to bulk it out). But if SMS could have done it on a smaller scale with paid for content...

Ah well best not to dwell on what could have been and look forward to what might come. :)

You care about which game has the better online and i care about which game has the better version of the p1 gtr and as the saying goes let bygones be bygones.:P;):)

Cept the P1 GTR in pc2 has an insane range of tuning GTS cannot hope to make, you can use DRS any time in pc2 unlike the "steering is straight" only function in GTS, the hybrid in pc2 is correctly modelled for its regen rates and output (spoken via DMs with Alex West, easy to find who he is and what he owns) vs GTS that uses exactly the same system for all cars.

But hey ho, opinions and bias and all that.

Cept the P1 GTR in pc2 has an insane range of tuning GTS cannot hope to make, you can use DRS any time in pc2 unlike the "steering is straight" only function in GTS, the hybrid in pc2 is correctly modelled for its regen rates and output (spoken via DMs with Alex West, easy to find who he is and what he owns) vs GTS that uses exactly the same system for all cars.

But hey ho, opinions and bias and all that.
True

But to be fair the p1 gtr in gts is faster then a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport and a Hennessey Venom GT :lol:

Wish it could reach those speeds in pcars 2
/s
:lol:

One thing is for sure that I won't preorder the next pcars.

I was eagerly awaiting pcars1 and was not disappointed even though it had its faults. Had tons of fun and the game really had personality and a great fun factor on top of the sim factor (even though it wasn't sim enough for a lot of people).

I preordered pcars2 deluxe edition and always said give me pcars1 with Ferrari and Lamborghini and it would be my favorite racing game. So hearing Ferrari and Lambo's were coming to pcars in 2 I was beyond excited. Pcars2 is great but the game didn't have the personality and fun factor the first game had imo. It is much more sim which is great but the optimization for controller is done extremely poor and the very high powered cars are extremely difficult if not impossible to take around the track in a competitive time. I get practice makes perfect but if the handling is so twitchy on a controller that it is hard enough to just driving in a straight line then what is the point.

More importantly the weather slot system is one I'll be looking at before buying the next game. Completely pointless to know what weather pattern will go down during the race. Then it becomes a driving simulator and not a racing game. If the next game doesn't have a realistic random weather setting then I'll happily pass.

And yes I know you can set it to random in 4 slots...but what is the fun in having a sunny-thunderstom-light cloud-thunderstorm race.

Pcars2 left me disappointed...the career mode lacked any soul and the menus are very slow and ever after being patched not nearly as responsive as they need to be.

I'll keep an eye on the next game...but if controller integration and weather selections aren't changed from the previous game then I'm out.

One thing is for sure that I won't preorder the next pcars.

I was eagerly awaiting pcars1 and was not disappointed even though it had its faults. Had tons of fun and the game really had personality and a great fun factor on top of the sim factor (even though it wasn't sim enough for a lot of people).

I preordered pcars2 deluxe edition and always said give me pcars1 with Ferrari and Lamborghini and it would be my favorite racing game. So hearing Ferrari and Lambo's were coming to pcars in 2 I was beyond excited. Pcars2 is great but the game didn't have the personality and fun factor the first game had imo. It is much more sim which is great but the optimization for controller is done extremely poor and the very high powered cars are extremely difficult if not impossible to take around the track in a competitive time. I get practice makes perfect but if the handling is so twitchy on a controller that it is hard enough to just driving in a straight line then what is the point.

More importantly the weather slot system is one I'll be looking at before buying the next game. Completely pointless to know what weather pattern will go down during the race. Then it becomes a driving simulator and not a racing game. If the next game doesn't have a realistic random weather setting then I'll happily pass.

And yes I know you can set it to random in 4 slots...but what is the fun in having a sunny-thunderstom-light cloud-thunderstorm race.

Pcars2 left me disappointed...the career mode lacked any soul and the menus are very slow and ever after being patched not nearly as responsive as they need to be.

I'll keep an eye on the next game...but if controller integration and weather selections aren't changed from the previous game then I'm out.

We must be playing different games when it comes to controller handling. For me pCARS2 pad handling is light years ahead of the first game, the only thing I ever change from the default settings is speed sensitivity for a few specific cars (though setting it to 75 is just fine for most cars). I'm not the quickest driver in the world but it works fine for me. Bathurst/Group C for example (my best lap is about a second quicker than this vid):

As for weather - apart from the Nordschleife and Spa (both notoriously changeable), there is virtually no track in the world that you can race at where you won't have a pretty accurate idea of what the weather will be doing on an hour by hour basis for a good 48 hours. Truly 'random' weather in terms of predictability is not really a thing these days - I went to Brands Hatch last weekend for example, before I left home on Saturday morning I knew that it was going to be dry until mid afternoon then getting wetter for the rest of the day, and Sunday would start damp and then be clear and dry. And that's exactly what happened.

That's not to say there's necessarily anything wrong with wanting truly random weather, but it's not remotely realistic.

We must be playing different games when it comes to controller handling. For me pCARS2 pad handling is light years ahead of the first game, the only thing I ever change from the default settings is speed sensitivity for a few specific cars (though setting it to 75 is just fine for most cars). I'm not the quickest driver in the world but it works fine for me. Bathurst/Group C for example (my best lap is about a second quicker than this vid):

As for weather - apart from the Nordschleife and Spa (both notoriously changeable), there is virtually no track in the world that you can race at where you won't have a pretty accurate idea of what the weather will be doing on an hour by hour basis for a good 48 hours. Truly 'random' weather in terms of predictability is not really a thing these days - I went to Brands Hatch last weekend for example, before I left home on Saturday morning I knew that it was going to be dry until mid afternoon then getting wetter for the rest of the day, and Sunday would start damp and then be clear and dry. And that's exactly what happened.

That's not to say there's necessarily anything wrong with wanting truly random weather, but it's not remotely realistic.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any weather prediction...my problem is that on ps4 the slots time length are the same etc. etc.
Take F1 2019 for example...weather predictions but the predictions are not always 100% accurate...that is what I mean. Even though you know more or less what will happen...things might pan out differently. With pcars2 it never does and everything happens clockwise with the weather...that is not remotely realistic.

I second this 👍

Back