Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
Here’s the thing, you can’t have a solid gamepad implementation if every car handles completely different, so it makes sense that the handling between cars would be more similar. I honestly hope that I’m wrong.

This is the case for practically everything, loss of tire wear and temperature, breaks temperature, grip in different conditions, sensitive set ups, and similar. You can't transmit this information through game pad, or at least none yet tried hard to bring this two together. SMS gone easy way the same as others but cutting it off.

I know it isn't the official car list, but what I have seen on this thread appears to be just copied from PC2. One great feature from PC1 and PC2 was the class leading historic race car content. PC2 was good and with a few extra cars could have been excellent. Unfortunately I didn't notice any new historic content. Has it been saved for the DLC?

With the lack of extra historic content and the apparent loss of classic Spa and Le Mans, plus the mixed up car classes and lack of custom championships this is looking increasingly like a missed opportunity by SMS.

I will continue to read this forum with interest, but the game itself, sadly, is looking less and less interesting.

So far, Project Cars 3 to me is a bit polarizing and mind-boggling. The announcement of this game came out of nowhere and the direction is the opposite from what I expected. I was expecting an evolution of the formula that came from the previous 2 installments, but this is more of a revolution. A complete change in the direction.

Yes, I hear that the driving physics have not changed (possibly have gotten better) and the gamepad controls are now really good (I'll love that if that's the case). There's even now a familiar career mode layout and some customization thrown into the mix. However, throwing out features like qualifying and pitshops just is so odd. Those factors plus the change in the UI makes the game feel more arcade than what the developers are saying it is. It just seems more of a light sim than a sim. (In which from what Chris Haye has said, it probably is).

Now I can get SMS wanting to maybe perhaps cast a wider net of players that play lighter sims like Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport. However, in spite of that; I can't fathom getting rid of certain features that their core audience liked. Gran Turismo Sport and Forza Motorsport might not be as realistic to play as probably Assetto Corsa or IRacing, but they still had pitstops. Honestly, I really don't see why they feel that it's impossible to not be able to still appear to the core sim crowd while appealing to the masses.
pCARS followed a bad example in GT... both pCARS and GT removed qualifications (GT has it in GT1 for damn sake... then in GT3 and GT4). Forza had pitstops but it's veering towards pCARS direction of... not featuring people there. Above all yeah, make pitstops and tyre wear an option... something done in previous games..

Here’s the thing, you can’t have a solid gamepad implementation if every car handles completely different, so it makes sense that the handling between cars would be more similar. I honestly hope that I’m wrong.
This is the case for practically everything, loss of tire wear and temperature, breaks temperature, grip in different conditions, sensitive set ups, and similar. You can't transmit this information through game pad, or at least none yet tried hard to bring this two together. SMS gone easy way the same as others but cutting it off.
I think you're wrong, @c172fccc. :)

Tires being too cold/hot, brake fade, and varying grip are certainly observable with a gamepad. The evidence is in the results of your inputs -- whatever isn't communicated by rumble is visual, like everything else you can't sense from the seat of your pants as you normally would. Subtle nuances between similar cars, cues you need to tackle wild-handling cars -- it's all audiovisual. That's how I do it.

That's not to say that SMS haven't gone the Forza route with a hidden helping hand. I really hope oversteer control isn't like Forza. I can't put all my trust in anyone's opinion on physics/handling, though, no matter how much I value their opinion. I can only find out for myself.

I know it isn't the official car list, but what I have seen on this thread appears to be just copied from PC2. One great feature from PC1 and PC2 was the class leading historic race car content. PC2 was good and with a few extra cars could have been excellent. Unfortunately I didn't notice any new historic content. Has it been saved for the DLC?
I agree. The list Chris Haye shared implies that almost everything new consists of 2018-2020 models. I'm sorry, I'm biased, but that's just really lame.

I think you're wrong, @c172fccc. :)

Tires being too cold/hot, brake fade, and varying grip are certainly observable with a gamepad. The evidence is in the results of your inputs -- whatever isn't communicated by rumble is visual, like everything else you can't sense from the seat of your pants as you normally would. Subtle nuances between similar cars, cues you need to tackle wild-handling cars -- it's all audiovisual. That's how I do it.

No one said you or me, the reason was a wider audience can't.

Some still blame their controller and SMS for low grip with cold tires. For me PC2 had decent controller support.

Last edited:
No one said you or me, the reason was a wider audience can't.

Some still blame their controller and SMS for low grip with cold tires. For me PC2 had decent controller support.
Ah, gotcha. :cheers:

There's no winning with people who don't know better. Things are much better now than 10+ years ago, or so it seems. Sims like PCARS or Assetto Corsa would never have stood a chance back then.

I'm even more confuse then ever now :lol:

If pcars 3 is the most serious sim he seen in years wonder what he would think of pcars 2 :boggled:

Only continues to cement the fact that the vast majority of mainstream games media understand 🤬 all and are nothing more than an extension of a game devs'/publishers PR department.

The new controller implementation is probably the thing I'm following more closely regarding PC3. Let me offer you some videos of my driving (I apologize for what you are about to see :scared:) first in FM7, with the Enzo (no upgrades) in Bathurst, with no ABS, traction control or stability control:

My lap time in FM7 is 2:18:377 and I feel that if I pushed it I could get below 2:18. The overall feeling of the car's handling is mild understeering with no snap oversteer and no adjustments whatsoever.

And then the same hotlap in PC2, with assists ON and settings I adjusted thanks to threads about the subject in this forum (thanks in particular to @Wolfe and @Mr Grumpy):

My lap time in PC2 is 2:21:197, and I probably could go to 2:20:5xx, after all I noticed afterwards that I was running with the full tank of gas (weight matters.)

The difference in my times I think is in the descent section because while PC2's tyre/steering physics are much superior, the suspension feels "floaty" and the brakes, while very effective, don't alert me of lockup the way FM7 does (they rumble quite a lot). When the Enzo slides in PC2 it's gone (or any other car for that matter)... FM7 is more forgiving and allows me to catch up (I know, more "arcade".)

I hope that PC3 can marry it's superior physics with a controller that feels more communicative, more alive.

Chris Hayes video is gone. Just shows me that the list was not complete yet.

Don’t think so, here’s the more probable reason:

There’s only 5 specific cars/tracks combination (Formula B on Interlagos being one) that you could show. He showed way more than. He also showed obvious bugs, the full car list, the full track list, the livery editor, car modifications which was not allowed.

I sincerely think that the list is complete in terms of new circuits. I don't expect a bunch of new circuits like what we got with PC2. So what is the added value for people who already own PC2? Interlagos and Jerez for the actual tracks. It seems to me very little to convince people to buy PC3...

Last edited:
Screenshot_20200801_083805_com.discord.jpg

I sincerely think that the list is complete in terms of new circuits. I don't expect a bunch of new circuits like what we got with PC2. So what is the added value for people who already own PC2? Interlagos and Jerez for the actual tracks. It seems to me very little to convince people to buy PC3...

Screenshot_20200801_085157_com.discord.jpg

Hello Konan, you are with Orange lol

LOL yes

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to clean the dust off my PS4 to play this game when it come out, but after reading some post on here and it looks like l will just leave the dust on the console.

to be honest. I could live with a little bit simplified Physics to help controller players play. But. I just don't understand decisions about mixing car classes and removing pit-stops, tyre wear etc. Even old arcade games had that. Why we can't have realistic motorsport expirience with proper classes pit-stops etc which is playable on controllerand have a nice career mode?

The closest to this was Toca Race Driver in my opinion. This game should be a benchmark of perfectly balances Sim/Arcade game. Also even arcadey GRID had proper race classes and on Codemasters forums i voted for Pit-Stops being added (TO ARCADE GAME) because it would made this more exciting. I never expected that it will go opposite that game which always had pit-stops will ditched them.

My thoughts about PCars 3. I feel like it is a cashgrab. It seems to have less content than previous one and it is quickly put together from what SMS had, and shipped on current gen console to had one more chance to get some money. I hope Pcars 4 will be much more complete game.

Other than Spa, not yet. We’ll know when the official track list will be revealed. It’s being held back for licensing reasons, so I’m hoping that this means that we could potentially see some tracks that were not in the preview.
So Spa being out is indeed true then? Damn.

I also read that you still won’t be able to make custom championships, is that also true? It was a feature sorely missing from PC2 and even if it was a ’maybe’ from Ian, I’m surprised it didn’t make the cut after all this time.

August the 28th this is down for release?, they might aswell just delay it till december the 28th, think of all the updates and bug fixing that is coming....Its stupid now when games get released......

Imagine buying anything else that is like it, say a Television...it works but you cant change channels till next months update, then in the future they will add volume controls...

@Wolfe is he right? I guess not.
I drift cars in PCARS2 with the DS4. They're not all good for it, though.

Just recovering from oversteer isn't bad with my settings, with Speed Sensitivity at 75 for big slides and Opposite Lock Help for small ones.

I'm even more confuse then ever now :lol:

If pcars 3 is the most serious sim he seen in years wonder what he would think of pcars 2 :boggled:

There's a difference between "most serious simulator" and what you linked to, which quotes "most accessible serious simulator" :)

Only continues to cement the fact that the vast majority of mainstream games media understand 🤬 all and are nothing more than an extension of a game devs'/publishers PR department.

Please explain.

Generally, unless something is factually incorrect in a preview/review, media can say what they like. That's generally how it's been wherever I've worked.

If it is a good controller game i want it since I have to wait on the new Forza Motorsport.....

I'm on a wheel now but I like the content/freedom Forza gives, and with Motorsport a long ways away I'm in need of a new title. I didn't give the first 2 games more than a mere glance but I could see myself playing this once I'm done with F1 2020.

Back