Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
Soooo, I guess I'm the only one who was not really into this game before launch but now that I've seen a few streams and reviews it seems like a great game? As long as you keep in mind that it's Shift 3 rather than PC3. ;)

I did initially wonder why they even gave review codes to the hardcore sim crowd, when they must have known how it would go down, but this could just be an isolated bit of marketing genius in an otherwise terrible campaign. Hear me out...

You've decided to take your franchise in an arcade-racer-with-better-physics direction. You know this is going to annoy/frustrate/disappoint your existing core fanbase. You also know that a lot of the casual/controller crowd will look at Project CARS with some suspicion/caution having struggled with the first two.

If you can get the positive reviews saying that this is fun, it's great on controller now, the progression is pretty good (which is all stuff I've read a fair few times today) and on top of that, the hardcore-sim-guys are going "well, it's clearly not meant for me..." - is that not extra reassurance for the new target market? Just a thought...

Ouch...

...this will not go down well on the official forum (they will say 'he's just pandering to his audience' as they did for the stream).

That's what I don't get. People will say he is bashing the game or being unfair to cater to his audience. So what? Maybe he knows what his audience preferences are. Yes, he also had some unkind things to say about PC2 but he has acknowledged it's sim value, especially his Daytona VR video.

His comments about Codemasters were strange, as a insider to racing games I would've thought he would know that the game was pretty much (as Boris Johnson would say) 'oven ready' by the time they bought SMS, he also said that GRID was better than PC3, without playing either at this point that sounds strange given the amount of content in each game. It's positive to hear that the game will play a lot better on controllers this time around (something which the sim reviews don't seem to have tested).

Its pretty ignorant of him to say that regarding Codies. This game wasn't done in 4 months and I don't care how many people think its possible. SMS and pCars fanboys just looking for someone else to blame because heaven forbid should SMS do soemthing they don't like.
Playing devils advocate he’s talking about a changes possibly being made to make the sale more attractive to Codies, not changes Codies made to the title. Which would still rest firmly with SMS.

That's what I don't get. People will say he is bashing the game or being unfair to cater to his audience. So what? Maybe he knows what his audience preferences are. Yes, he also had some unkind things to say about PC2 but he has acknowledged it's sim value, especially his Daytona VR video.

he actually said that GRID is slightly better and Forza Horizon 4 is FAR better game so he isn't only closed mind for Simracing titles.

Does this have helmet cam or a FOV slider?
FOV adjustment yes, Jimmy Broadbent's stream showed him adjust it a couple times.

I saw a review that mentioned helmet cam but I think they were mistaking the standard cockpit view for a helmet cam. I've seen several of the videos where they cycle the views and it just appears to be bumper, hood, cockpit and chase cams.

FOV adjustment yes, Jimmy Broadbent's stream showed him adjust it a couple times.

I saw a review that mentioned helmet cam but I think they were mistaking the standard cockpit view for a helmet cam. I've seen several of the videos where they cycle the views and it just appears to be bumper, hood, cockpit and chase cams.

I saw helmet cam in one gameplay actually.

Is tuning and testing even a part of this game? I've seen a few of MotoGamesTV's car show case videos now and it looks like it starts in the middle of the race in P2. Can you not go out on any track alone to test cars? You have to start a race with at least one opponent and let them get way ahead?

Is tuning and testing even a part of this game? I've seen a few of MotoGamesTV's car show case videos now and it looks like it starts in the middle of the race in P2. Can you not go out on any track alone to test cars? You have to start a race with at least one opponent and let them get way ahead?
There is single car practice but if you want a replay you probably need a race, which is why he did it like that.

There is single car practice but if you want a replay you probably need a race, which is why he did it like that.
Replay from pause menu is only 2 minutes long, so sometimes it's better for me to do a 3 lap race with one AI and after race it's done, launch replay from main menu.

Replay from pause menu is only 2 minutes long, so sometimes it's better for me to do a 3 lap race with one AI and after race it's done, launch replay from main menu.
How does Xbox One X performance look to you when playing? Judging by your video it’s 60fps driving, 30fps replays, and somewhere between 1440p and 4K.

Playing devils advocate he’s talking about a changes possibly being made to make the sale more attractive to Codies, not changes Codies made to the title. Which would still rest firmly with SMS.

Possibly. Or attractive to someone, if they knew they needed a buyer to survive.

Yep, it’s a possibility.

I suspect it will however get taken out of context, just as the ‘looks like a mobile game’ comment did, when he was quite clearly referring to the car selection UI.

Indeed. I have to admit I was guilty of jumping at that comment.

I've caved and preordered for tonight. If anyone wants me to jump in and check anything out in particular as it launches then let me know.

Who's staying up with me?

I'm going to have to wait until I get home from work tonight to look at all of these videos. But what I'm mainly interested in is seeing what single player non-career mode with no car upgrades is like. How many laps can you set your race for? Can you choose your starting position? Can you choose your starting time of day, etc.?

How does Xbox One X performance look to you when playing? Judging by your video it’s 60fps driving, 30fps replays, and somewhere between 1440p and 4K.
On One X you have two graphics mode: prioritise framerate and prioritise resolution. First one should be stable 60FPS with lower resolution, either 1440p or 1080p. Second one is 4K but I have no idea on exact framerate. Might be unlocked.

Indeed. I have to admit I was guilty of jumping at that comment.

I've caved and preordered for tonight. If anyone wants me to jump in and check anything out in particular as it launches then let me know.

Who's staying up with me?
I would love to know if the private lobby system is easy to use and what options there are (ie - HP limit, weight restrictions)

On One X you have two graphics mode: prioritise framerate and prioritise resolution. First one should be stable 60FPS with lower resolution, either 1440p or 1080p. Second one is 4K but I have no idea on exact framerate. Might be unlocked.
This pleases me :)

Replays always at 30?

Back