Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
This youtuber presents an interesting opinion on capitalism/consumerism in gaming. 5:58 - 10:30 in the video may help you with your question. "It's the exact same engine, the exact same models, and the exact same underlying physics code. Except with a whole bunch of it disabled. So it's actually a lesser game by an objective standard."

How does he know that? The tire model feels different to me and the collision model seems to be improved by quite a lot.

The gtr sounds like 🤬 in this game 👎

:lol:

Pcars 3 is one of the ugliest games i have ever seen.

AA is worst then pcars 2
The cars become so pixelated it can look like a ps1 game. <And that's only with one car on track. :crazy:

In Graphics at least on PC, for me PCARS3 is better than assetto and Pcars1, better than raceroom, than rfactor2 and iracing. I played all of them this week in VR.

PCARS3 is better in light, beauty, ambiance, detail models and realistic materials. You have more inmersion by graphics than the others mentioned.

I've driven the new 911 at Leipzig at dusk, some classic cars, gt3 cars and many others and in VR they are awesome... Not at the level of Gran Turismo Sport that hacks your mind in VR with overdose of reality but PCARS3 is very good.

Maybe in 2D you have to adjust a little the camera angle and fov for a better view. In GTS in 2D I use to block the right joystick 90% to the bottom in the interior view and I see the whole wheel, my feet, the entire console and less roof. 1000 times more inmersion and real. I don't know if you can do this in PCARS3

The weaker point for me is rain that I don't like in graphic terms.

This youtuber presents an interesting opinion on capitalism/consumerism in gaming. 5:58 - 10:30 in the video may help you with your question. "It's the exact same engine, the exact same models, and the exact same underlying physics code. Except with a whole bunch of it disabled. So it's actually a lesser game by an objective standard."

If you can still play PCARS2 where is consumerism ??? Maybe in some users who buy all, but not in this product.

3 years later (not 1 or 2 years like others do) and a different game style so "sim racers" will not buy it, so it's not consumerism there neither, it's other kind of product for those who want it.

More offer is more freedom to choose, not consumerism. And always there are other games with other roadmap to choose if some users don't like the new title or they want to keep playing the old.

With Ride franchise I bought ride1 and ride3, not interested in ride2 when it was released. The costumer is not forced to buy.

Last edited:
How does he know that? The tire model feels different to me and the collision model seems to be improved by quite a lot.
You can ask him in the comments section of his video. :)

I have not purchased pCARS3 for the reasons he shared in his video, and this seems to be the uncertainty that @tonybarnaby has. I have pCARS2 and I don't see anything in pCARS3 that interest me. Engine is still Madness. Car list is (I'm guessing) 90% the same. Track list is about the same as pCARS2. I have not played the game so I can't comment on the feel of the tires, but the sim-tubers are not raving about pCARS3 tire/FFB. Tony asked for opinions and info from the forum to help him decide on pCARS3. I provided a youtuber's perspective that aligned with my decision to not purchase pCARS3.

In Graphics at least on PC, for me PCARS3 is better than assetto and Pcars1, better than raceroom, than rfactor2 and iracing. I played all of them this week in VR.

PCARS3 is better in light, beauty, ambiance, detail models and realistic materials. You have more inmersion by graphics than the others mentioned.

I've driven the new 911 at Leipzig at dusk, some classic cars, gt3 cars and many others and in VR they are awesome... Not at the level of Gran Turismo Sport that hacks your mind in VR with overdose of reality but PCARS3 is very good.

Maybe in 2D you have to adjust a little the camera angle and fov for a better view. In GTS in 2D I use to block the right joystick 90% to the bottom in the interior view and I see the whole wheel, my feet, the entire console and less roof. 1000 times more inmersion and real. I don't know if you can do this in PCARS3

The weaker point for me is rain that I don't like in graphic terms.

If you can still play PCARS2 where is consumerism ??? Maybe in some users who buy all, but not in this product.

3 years later (not 1 or 2 years like others do) and a different game style so "sim racers" will not buy it, so it's not consumerism there neither, it's other kind of product for those who want it.

More offer is more freedom to choose, not consumerism. And always there are other games with other roadmap to choose if some users don't like the new title or they want to keep playing the old.

With Ride franchise I bought ride1 and ride3, not interested in ride2 when it was released. The costumer is not forced to buy.
Well there you go on PC that's not the case for consoles. At least on ps4 pro which is the one i have.

I was in the same boat. Having seen what had been removed I decided not to buy it.
But then I thought I may as well use my 2 hour Steam refund window to see what it's like.

1 hour 55 minutes later I decided to keep it because I was having a lot of fun with the career events. Some of them are really challenging as well. The last time I had struggles with career events was GT4. This game sort of reminds me of that.

On another note, I've been playing a lot of the original game in the last 2 weeks and I swear the tracks in this game are from PCars 1 and not PCars 2. This is just by looking at the road surface of tracks.

Last edited:
Graphics are simply better on the PC than consoles. Bigger gap than you see with other racing games.

It looks better than PC2 on the PC at higher resolutions, and it's not even that close. That said, there are still better racing games graphically on the PC like the Forza games.

Graphics are simply better on the PC than consoles. Bigger gap than you see with other racing games.

It looks better than PC2 on the PC at higher resolutions, and it's not even that close. That said, there are still better racing games graphically on the PC like the Forza games.

I have a laptop with a i7-9750 and RTX 2060, and I could hook it up to the TV.

At which resolution and graphics settings I could run it, to keep at least 60fps solid?
Could be 1440p and Ultra?

How does this game compare to GTSport in terms of driving feel, sense of speed and fun factor?

GTS gives you much more precision in terms of car control. In PC3 cars often feel a bit floaty.

Sense of speed can be achieved in two ways:

GTS way - no camera effects whatsoever, but other things can compensate for that - the responsiveness of controls and a higher risk of a mistake when you are driving on the edge of what the car can offer. There is that sense of danger combined with sensation from driving at high speed.
PC3 way - since margin for error is bigger here, the sense of speed is a bit dumbed down compared to GTS. Visual effects in chase cam try to compensate for that.

What's more fun is very subjective. I personally expected PC3 to be PC2 with gamepad controls - the feeling of car control was even more pronounced than in GTS there (when you are with the wheel or with the motion sensor like myself). But I still can appreciate PC3 kind of fun - a bit more relaxed but still challenging if you want it to be.

I posted a few pages back: if you browse through the games files on PC there's a file with default graphics settings that includes anything from Low through Ultra and also PS4 and XB1. Consoles are between LOW/LOWMEDIUM in terms of graphics quality.

I have a laptop with a i7-9750 and RTX 2060, and I could hook it up to the TV.

At which resolution and graphics settings I could run it, to keep at least 60fps solid?
Could be 1440p and Ultra?
Should be fine in most parts. There are a few unoptimized bits/combos though, can't guarantee you'll always be at 60FPS (e.g. some tracks have framedrops in certain areas regardless).

Does anyone else notice that the counter of clean overtakes objective resets during the race? I though I was seeing things, but right now I definitely saw it. After a good start I overtook some AIs and the counter said 5, then it somehow dropped to 3. After one more overtake it went up to 4 only to be reset to 0 later.

Does anyone else notice that the counter of clean overtakes objective resets during the race? I though I was seeing things, but right now I definitely saw it. After a good start I overtook some AIs and the counter said 5, then it somehow dropped to 3. After one more overtake it went up to 4 only to be reset to 0 later.

If I remember well, there is an interval of time to achieve the required number of overtakes.
So, you need to stay within that time, otherwise the counting starts to drop down.

Well there you go on PC that's not the case for consoles. At least on ps4 pro which is the one i have.

It's honestly not the case on PC either. It's not a good looking game except in comparison to other bad looking games. rF2 and iRacing are not exactly the high water mark of graphical excellence.

If I remember well, there is an interval of time to achieve the required number of overtakes.
So, you need to stay within that time, otherwise the counting starts to drop down.

Thanks! I finally get it now. Boy all these objectives are so confusing. I just checked and it says "clean overtake in 1:10 secs". I was sure it means that I need to overtake a car in 1.1 seconds time :lol: Obviously it means 1 minute and 10 seconds.

I didn't expect that but I've got to say career events are so poorly implemented. Sometimes time trials are too damn hard if you don't have that one particular car. Sometimes AI is slow as hell on legendary, and sometimes they have too powerful cars to compete with. Don't know how they are expecting their "wider audience" to enjoy that.

Judging by the numbers on steam this game is not selling well at the moment. One more year to polish all aspects of the game and it could have been a great simcade experience.

For now I'm still going to grind through the career to get all trophies, since I cannot ignore a such an easily attainable platinum :)

But the best part for me is definitely rivals, I just hope that the number of participants will not shrink too much but who am I kidding. On the other hand if most of people do not participate we will be able to see our GTPlanet friends' times, because no one else will be playing.

It's honestly not the case on PC either. It's not a good looking game except in comparison to other bad looking games. rF2 and iRacing are not exactly the high water mark of graphical excellence.
On PC it's a mixed bag IMO. Some tracks look absolutely gorgeous (e.g Wildcrest, Hockenheim Classic, Sakkitto) , others are butt-ugly (Mojave and others). Same for the ugly soft focus filter/post processing, on some tracks it's applied by default and on others it's not.

Current Steam stats...

Steam.png

...would be interesting to see the same for consoles, shame we can't.

I really wish T10 had bought SMS instead of CM, as I think they could of worked their magic with the graphics and framerate.
That being said, when PC3 is running well, I think I love the custom races here more, at least in the cockpit or hood views.

I really wish T10 had bought SMS instead of CM, as I think they could of worked their magic with the graphics and framerate.
That being said, when PC3 is running well, I think I love the custom races here more, at least in the cockpit or hood views.
To be fair no-one could have done a great deal with the time they would have had, and CM is more than capable of putting out good looking titles.

I'd save the judgement on Codemasters for when they can actually have an influence on the games. There's not much Codies could or would have been able to do and the same goes for any studio in this instance.

Worth noting how old the Madness engine is, and it hasnt changed that much in that time. Codemasters Ego engine has had bigger upgrades in that time than Madness has and thats shown in how F1 2020 can hold an almost rock solid 60fps at 4k with HDR.

Pcars 4, if its still called that, will be the real acid test for the Codemasters ownship of SMS and will be the real indication of where SMS and this series will go.

Is there any likelihood that they have been quietly preparing the game we all really hope for?

Is it possible that will have a PC4 on the new generation of consoles with everything we want?

What would likely happen in that scenario is that future games would be built on the Forzatech engine instead.

As @MagpieRacer mentioned, future titles are where any potential impacts would come, as Project CARS 3 would likely have had its fundamentals all set long before the Codemasters acquisition.

Most AAA racing games these days take 2-3 years to develop from initial concept to final release (more if you're first-party and have loftier performance goals). That can vary based on game engine, content size, carryover from previous games, licensing etc., but is a good ballpark.

Is there any likelihood that they have been quietly preparing the game we all really hope for?

Is it possible that will have a PC4 on the new generation of consoles with everything we want?
SM betrayed the sim racing community with PC3, i don’t think the latter has any interest in a title called PC4.

I think the career objectives counter is broken or something. Right now I have 45 completed objectives in road E, 40 objectives in road D and 18 in road C. 103 in total. But somehow the counter for in-game objectives tells me I have less than that. The trophy for 100 completed career objectives is also not gained.

I've had the game for a few days now and I have to say I'm really enjoying it, their are a few graphical glitches but the lighting is beautiful, this is a pretty game especially in photomode. We also still have dynamic time of day and weather which is better than what any other console game is doing right now. It would be nice if Le Mans was still in the game but even without it the circuit list is huge and the car list gives enough choice (if the classes bother you there is still the option to run single make races), my only complaint is not having a superspeedway variation of the IndyCar. Online is a lot better now it has some structure, think GTSport but with less chance of going weeks without a race you like.

As for tyre wear which was a big deal before launch, it's much more realistic than GT Sport.

I kind of hope that this version of PC3 was once the PCgo for mobile devices we once heard about, cancelled & thrown on this gen as a test & to make a quick bit of cash. While secretly the real PC3 (which will now become PC4/revolution) will arrive on the new generation in all its glory with the best of both worlds & more to keep everyone happy.

Wishful thinking I suppose

I've had the game for a few days now and I have to say I'm really enjoying it, their are a few graphical glitches but the lighting is beautiful, this is a pretty game especially in photomode. We also still have dynamic time of day and weather which is better than what any other console game is doing right now. It would be nice if Le Mans was still in the game but even without it the circuit list is huge and the car list gives enough choice (if the classes bother you there is still the option to run single make races), my only complaint is not having a superspeedway variation of the IndyCar. Online is a lot better now it has some structure, think GTSport but with less chance of going weeks without a race you like.

As for tyre wear which was a big deal before launch, it's much more realistic than GT Sport.
Umm, ACC has dynamic time of day and weather!

WRC 8 and 9 both have dynamic weather, not ToD, but then they don’t need that.

Jeez, online in base PS4 this game is absolutely unplayable. Decided to give it a go and frame rates on Mojave, which is the simplest track, tank to like 10-15 fps and there is tons of ghosting. Absolutely insane. I’ll give it a go a few more times as I hope it’s some kind of glitch, but if this continues that’s unacceptably bad.

Back