Project CARS 3 Launches to Mixed Reviews

Can anyone watch this review and do a quick summary of it? Im in appointments sneaking peeks at my phone but I can't watch a video right now
These are a few points I picked out:

Don't go into it expecting anything like the first 2 games, this one is more arcade'y but has a detailed enough handling model to still be enjoyable
Great Track list and very good selection of cars
Good graphics (but this is tested on PC so that probably means nothing to most of us on console)
Doesn't like the UI design
Corner cutting penalties can be overzealous (he does say those can be turned off)
Reviewed on a controller which he says felt good
Frame drops in poor weather (sounds similar to PC2
May not be for everybody but good fun.

He summarises at 32:00

Maybe, just like a certain other game, the online racing will be PC3s strong point. I've a feeling that with the changes they've made that's the direction they have aimed the game in. pCORS - Project Cars Online Racing Shenanigans.
Great shame it's not cross platform, that'd be a big selling point.

Do you earn experience/credits online?
I believe you do earn experience/credits online. Not 100% though. You do earn experience/credits in Rival mode and Custom races. I spent a lot of time in custom races and rival races and the you seemed earn more money then in career mode.

I like the first 2 games but I also like Forza and Grid so I found the Xbox digital Deluxe version on offer for £59.99 digital online and jumped in. It does look fun and I was kinda at a £50 including dlc price point in my head so I only went slightly over. Just got 1 hour 20 to install but I am hoping when it hit's the ready to start bit I can jump in and have a go on the wheel and at least get my settings sorted ready for a blast tomorrow when I am free

I believe you do earn experience/credits online. Not 100% though. You do earn experience/credits in Rival mode and Custom races. I spent a lot of time in custom races and rival races and the you seemed earn more money then in career mode.
@IfAndOr You earn XP everywhere. Not sure on CR as I’ve not been paying attention to it, all I did last night was dial in my controller bindings.

Do you guys think that the game's development was affected by the Codemasters' buyout? And if so, to what extent?

Yes, and I think they most likely reused GRID assets and other such stuff. Even the season pass is now identical to GRID.

I think this is proof that there is just nothing left for this console generation. You have AC and ACC (minus frame rate) and everything else trailing way behind on console. I think project cars could definitely be a true sim next generation, but the current consoles are just not powerful enough to make that happen.

Yes, and I think they most likely reused GRID assets and other such stuff. Even the season pass is now identical to GRID.

Oh man. No. Codemasters had nothing to do with the development of PCars 3. Anyone who thinks they could influence this game in the very short time they've owned the studio then you don't unserstand game design. I feel sorry for Codemasters. Getting a lot of stick from pCars fans who just can't accept SMS went a different way with it.

Ian Bell said in 2018 that PC3 would be a spritiual successor to Shift. And that is what he has delivered.

The original tracks are quite good and creative,reminded me of the good original gran turismo tracks,i think those tracks with a more sim oriented title could work

Played it for myself and suffice to say, I've already uninstalled it. I haven't kept up with PCARS-anything since the original (though, funnily enough, I reviewed 2 because of my history with the franchise) so I was entirely ignorant to what this was going to be outside of videos that popped up on the 'Tube.

It feels better on controller this time around, though it's to my understanding that everything else (read: wheels) have suffered as a result so I didn't even try using my G29. The game is good-looking, that much goes without saying but the gameplay isn't up my alley. Fighting with the steering like I'm playing NFS Shift isn't something I ever wanted to experience again, despite quite liking the Shift series. Its shelf life, at least for me, was particularly short because it gets tiring trying to steer a vehicle that wants to bounce and wobble through corners. That's my take on the matter.

The survey on IGN site shows that from 2.300 participants, 50 percent are not happy and plus 19 says that not happy and still will try a game, and it looks like that sim fans not as minority:).

The original tracks are quite good and creative,reminded me of the good original gran turismo tracks,i think those tracks with a more sim oriented title could work

Fake tracks in general get a bit unfairly criticized IMO. I know, it's great to run on a track with real history... but a good track is a good time -- and even the real ones started out as somebody's fantasy idea at some point. Bannochbrae is great, and I like the SMS point-to-point tracks too. The jumps are maybe a bit iffy for serious racing, but it's always a fun challenge seeing how fast you can safely and reliably get into the last 2 turns at Bannochbrae.

I pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition of the game, and honestly it was my worst disappointment in the last 5 years of gaming!
I'm not kidding.
I don't mind the money; thank God it doesn't matter...
I don't mind if it's simcade or arcade either, BUT at least then it needs to be looking awesome, sounding great, AND be immersive as well....
But it's not at all!
Seriously it's looks like Forza Motorsport 4 from X-Box 360 era... CARTOONISH.
Project cars 2 looks and feels lightyears better.

Any hope that the next generation of consoles will allow Ian to make the sim he has claimed he wants to make? Maybe they just realized the PS4 and Xbox were tapped out, so they had to make a lot of concessions. There’s a reason every top notch racing sim is PC only (or a port with a lot of things dropped to console)

I think this is proof that there is just nothing left for this console generation. You have AC and ACC (minus frame rate) and everything else trailing way behind on console. I think project cars could definitely be a true sim next generation, but the current consoles are just not powerful enough to make that happen.

You can run all famous sims on pc with a very basic pc. Nothing to do with power.

Power has to do with graphic effects and frame rates when there's too much graphic effects and/or low optimisation. ACC for example, but it runs very well on ps4 pro.

Any hope that the next generation of consoles will allow Ian to make the sim he has claimed he wants to make? Maybe they just realized the PS4 and Xbox were tapped out, so they had to make a lot of concessions. There’s a reason every top notch racing sim is PC only (or a port with a lot of things dropped to console)

Concessions like pit-stops ? They can do that in PC2 and in so many other titles in consoles.

Pit-stops or tyre wear etc has nothing to do with consoles limitations, all is about of if they want to include this or that thing or not.

Last edited:
I'll pick it up in 2 months time on a PS Store sale when it's £20 including the season pass like I did with the other pointless racing game Grid.

Either that or just half-arsed it because its a Namco game and they were bought by Codemasters mid development

@oneloops -- Thank you, someone said it before I had to.

The hardware isn't to blame. Frankly, complaints that PCARS3 isn't pretty enough are to blame. If you ask me, the Playstation/Xbox market has been leaning too hard on fancy graphics since the latter half of the 7th gen, at the expense of framerates, complexity/depth, world sizes, and game design. Until perceptions change, any new bit of processing power will be expended on fancier graphics first. I don't expect this to change with next-gen hardware.

@oneloops -- Thank you, someone said it before I had to.

The hardware isn't to blame. Frankly, complaints that PCARS3 isn't pretty enough are to blame. If you ask me, the Playstation/Xbox market has been leaning too hard on fancy graphics since the latter half of the 7th gen, at the expense of framerates, complexity/depth, world sizes, and game design. Until perceptions change, any new bit of processing power will be expended on fancier graphics first. I don't expect this to change with next-gen hardware.
Developers like naughty dog and rockstar have proven you don’t have to cut any corners. I have high hopes for next generation.

This is why i think the first Racedriver GRID had one of the best career mode in racing games. It was smart way of connecting buying cars etc, with race driver type of progression. Having to start our own team with hiring teammates and signing up sponsors was great. If they expanded upon it, add car repairs and servicing your cars each race, leveling up your pit crew to make pitstops faster with less mistakes etc. it would fit Project Cars perfectly. I hope they will take this kind of route next time.

I would definately accept Project Cars 4 with this kind of career mode even with simplified physics.
It is baffling that no one has copied the Race Driver Grid formula for a career mode, not even the other Grid games.

The end of season Le Mans event was a great idea too. This could be expanded to include Indy 500 and Monaco GP to make a triple crown.

Last edited:
It is baffling that no one has copied the Race Driver Grid formula for a career mode, not even the other Grid games.

The end of season Le Mans event was a great idea too. This could be expanded to include Indy 500 and Monaco GP to make a triple crown.

Using only PCars 2 content you could create all of this things.

More over if combined with GRID's Autosport motorsports (Open Wheel, Endurance, Touring Car, Tuner and Street) you could create this kind of ending season great event for each type. And it was in PCars 2 already... just not structured... Sad very sad. SMS should take this route not Shift one. I hope Codemasters will see potential in Racedriver GRID and give it proper funds and time to make a real successor.

Oh...and also... it HAD the best Drift Mode in my opinion i never liked Drift any more than this one.

Latest Posts

Back