Project CARS 3 Likely Won't Get a PS5 or Xbox Series Release

You are right about SMS and PCARS3, but PCARS2 is the current benchmark sim for some, and rightfully so if you ask me. It depends on what you're looking for.
I read many times PC2 physics is rather arcadey :D It must be pretty hard to build a sim these days because no sim is sim enough apparently.

I read many times PC2 physics is rather arcadey :D It must be pretty hard to build a sim these days because no sim is sim enough apparently.

AC
ACC
iRacing
RFactor 2

does are rather universally claimed to be most realistic.

AC
ACC
iRacing
RFactor 2

Exactly, but is it true? I hardly think so because most of the sim racers probably can't judge it. It's very problematic and I started with sims recently again. My last time I played sims was 15 years ago and I didn't care about reality at all. I just played GTR2, RBR or GT Legends and was happy :D

I mean, is PC really like arcade?

Last edited:
Exactly, but is it true? I hardly think so because most of the sim racers probably can't judge it. It's very problematic and I started with sims recently again. My last time I played sims was 15 years ago and I didn't care about reality at all. I just played GTR2, RBR or GT Legends and was happy :D

PC2 no i think it is more sim than arcade, but it has its weird stuff.

Also... Being a sim is one thing, being good sim is another.

In my opinion even GT Sport is a sim. Arcade games, are something more like Need For Speed or ridge racer. It is just that... sim isn't fixed value, i think that it is more like Axis where some games are better in simulating one thing and other are better in simulating another thing.

Last edited:
I read many times PC2 physics is rather arcadey :D
Don't believe everything you read.

It must be pretty hard to build a sim these days because no sim is sim enough apparently.
That's always been the case.

AC
ACC
iRacing
RFactor 2

I can point out issues with every one of those and in particular iRacing. In fact, I would rate iRacing as one of the most problematic of those listed, even if you add PC2 onto the list, mainly for it's tyre model and refusal to accept that you can drift a car.

As an example, a driver who rates AC as his favourite sim.

AC & PC2.jpg

With those three titles, you may not have known it, but you certainly did care about reality.

RBR is still a solid title today (with a lot of mods keeping it well up to date, and GTR2 and GTL still hold up well. Rce07 is also still well worth a look, and also has a massively active mod community too.

Certainly in terms of PC2, Nope.

I can point out issues with every one of those and in particular iRacing. In fact, I would rate iRacing as one of the most problematic of those listed, even if you add PC2 onto the list, mainly for it's tyre model and refusal to accept that you can drift a car.

Well. It is just. Every sim has some issues.

I liked some words from David Perel who is real GT3 driver. Before ACC he used a lot GT Sport for training. Somebody asked him why?
His response? "It is realistic enough to make training worth it"

So maybe instead of pursuing the MOST REALISTIC sim racing title, we should just enjoy those which suits us best and are realistic enough.

Well. It is just. Every sim has some issues.

I liked some words from David Perel who is real GT3 driver. Before ACC he used a lot GT Sport for training. Somebody asked him why?
His response? "It is realistic enough to make training worth it"

So maybe instead of pursuing the MOST REALISTIC sim racing title, we should just enjoy those which suits us best and are realistic enough.
I don’t disagree, it simply irks me that PC2 gets dismissed too often.

That said AMS2 should be on that list along with R3E as well.

In my mind ALL racing/driving games are a simulation. Yes even games in arcades. They just simulate the driving dynamics to different degrees of accuracy and realism. Some "feel" better and suit the needs of some people more than others, so 'best' lists are sort of pointless.

Indeed. At the end of the day we all like our racing games and our passion comes through in all the "discussions" about which is best. Perhaps, as you say, we should spend less time debating and more time playing the titles we enjoy. :)

I don’t disagree, it simply irks me that PC2 gets dismissed too often.

That said AMS2 should be on that list along with R3E as well.

Yeah i forgot about those. I heard AMS2 is really decent. I hope it will come out on PS5 someday.

Perhaps, as you say, we should spend less time debating and more time playing the titles we enjoy.

This reminds me of an answer to the eternal question in fitness training about what training is best: "The best workout is the next one you actually do."

Here it might be "The best racing simulation game is the next one you play/ enjoy/ use to improve".

I have GTR2 and GT Legends. They were excellent for the time. They can still be enjoyable. But, they are running around 15 year old physics. You can tell the age of the tire modeling.

The tire modeling has really seen improvements over the past several years which has been really good across the board (a lot of sim titles). Unfortunately, one tire may get continuous/several updates and some seem to have been forgotten.

Last edited:
Yeah i forgot about those. I heard AMS2 is really decent. I hope it will come out on PS5 someday.
AMS2 is great and really shows what the Madness engine is capable of, R3E is based on the ISI engine that RFactor1/2 and the first AMS use, and again is great. R3E also uses a different graphics engine,m so looks really good and has the best audio in a sim I've come across as well as some of the best AI around.

and has the best audio in a sim I've come across
Audio often gets overlooked or moved down the list in what is desired in a simulation but it's very important for immersion. It can help gloss over faults in the physics if your ears are being thoroughly entertained. The PCars series has been a little hit and miss in that regard.

I wonder which racing titles will make use of the PS5's new audio capabilities. The graphics on GT7 are often mentioned but what of the sound!

Yeah. Audio is very important. IMHO nothing get close in audio terms to ACC. I am just blown away with sounds in this sim.

Yeah. Audio is very important. IMHO nothing get close in audio terms to ACC. I am just blown away with sounds in this sim.
It's PC only, but R3E is even better than ACC, hard as that may be to believe.

What i saw it is free2play (atleast some of the content) and it doesn't have too steep requirements. Maybe my laptop could run it. I should give it a try

What i saw it is free2play (atleast some of the content) and it doesn't have too steep requirements. Maybe my laptop could run it. I should give it a try
Yep, you get a few cars and tracks for free, so it's worth a go.

To give you an idea of what the audio and AI is like...

Last edited:
Not really surprising since its a Bandai Namco published game and SMS are now a Codemasters studio, the only way it would realistically get a current gen upgraded version is if CM bought the publishing rights from BN and considering the reception and sales it's not worth it for them.

AC
ACC
iRacing
RFactor 2

I agree those are the best (maybe to soon to put ACC into that group?) but each one has its strengths and weaknesses and some of those weaknesses are shocking. We don't have anything close to a sim that does everything really well yet.

Last edited:
Back