Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
I agree that F1 is still the pinnacle of motorsport. Ironically the biggest problem of F1 today is that it's too much cutting the edge in engine technology. It got to complicated for the average viewer.

I agree that F1 is still the pinnacle of motorsport. Ironically the biggest problem of F1 today is that it's too much cutting the edge in engine technology. It got to complicated for the average viewer.
It's not complicated at all compared to lmp1
F1 for many years have just been sharpening the same blade for many years.
The lmp1 regs mean we only had a year and already some one has jumped from 6mj to 8mj.
F1 is about the show
Endurance is about the racing.

And having done some of the career it resembles that. It's much quicker it seems to go up to f1 via the open wheel route than the endurance series. In the game.
The cars are also very different to drive and I do preferlmp1 in the game. But that's a matter of choice.

So diverting slightly away from the F1 - Lmp discussion I've a question about lights . As I've said before I wish they could implement lights being used by the Ai in less than perfect conditions , I was told that it's not in because of performance which is fine I understand , but why is it ok at night in the rain ? Is it down to less detail because it's dark ?

It's to do with the amount of shadows being cast by the lighting source. To keep the frame rate up, the engine effectively limits the distance from each car at which shadows are created (thus replicating real life light emission). During the day time, there would be no limit of sight, creating a lot more shadows. One option would be to reduce the size of the emination cone, but that was squashed as not doing the job properly. At the moment, it's considered a post-release idea, so it may be included at a later stage.

But I'm guessing you could do it online as each player can toggle it. So why is there only limitation with the AI.

In consoles you get max 16 cars online or 45 offline (if I'm not mistaken), so there's enough of a difference to explain SMS's reasoning...

ive just played back the video in 1440p, why is it that the graphics dont really look much better than gt6 ? or can i expect it to look much better on my ps4 when iam playing it ?
They are a lot better. Better antialiasing, reflections, lighting, shadows, but many of these details get lost in heavy video compression such as what Youtube uses. Not all videos are uploaded as 60fps either, so you also lose that extra smoothness.

This game also actually has smoke effects and much better details displayed in the mirrors.

They are a lot better. Better antialiasing, reflections, lighting, shadows, but many of these details get lost in heavy video compression such as what Youtube uses. Not all videos are uploaded as 60fps either, so you also lose that extra smoothness.

This game also actually has smoke effects and much better details displayed in the mirrors.
The video in question is only 30fps for the record. And he said he watched it in 1440p, but I'd lay odds his monitor is only 1080p:lol:

The difference in maximum cars online/offline is because of network architecture, not because of lighting performance.

Didn't say that was the reason though... (was relating lighting performance to number of cars on track, not the other way around)

It's not complicated. I mean, by a technological point of view. In early 90s, we had active suspension, lots of electronic aids (by 93, Williams was testing a CVT gearbox in a car that had ABS, TC and whatnot). All that in an era when most people couldn't afford a PC and internet conection was science fiction. And the racing was better (though very predictable when Williams got the realiability right).

F1's problem is that it isn't an interesting sport to watch this days with all that DRS kind of thing, IMO.

And having done some of the career it resembles that. It's much quicker it seems to go up to f1 via the open wheel route than the endurance series. In the game.
The cars are also very different to drive and I do preferlmp1 in the game. But that's a matter of choice.

It is a decision that is in tune with the times we live in. The sillyness of current F1 era is driving more and more motorport fans into endurance and GT competitions.

But I can't help to find that LMP1 only championship a dumb idea. There isn't such a thing in the real world and it shouldn't be in the game.

Last edited:
The video in question is only 30fps for the record. And he said he watched it in 1440p, but I'd lay odds his monitor is only 1080p:lol:

I was thinking the same thing about his PC resolution capability as I watched it on a 27" iMac with a resolution of 2560x1440 and it looked amazing and even though there is lots of talk of the youtube compression, I set the video settings to the max and the video looked great and I was truly impressed. I didn't comment because I just didn't have the energy!

It's not complicated. I mean, by a technological point of view. In early 90s, we had active suspension, lots of electronic aids (by 93, Williams was testing a CVT gearbox in a car that had ABS, TC and whatnot). All that in an era when most people couldn't afford a PC and internet conection was science fiction. And the racing was better (though very predictable when Williams got the realiability right).

F1's problem is that it isn't an interesting sport to watch this days with all that DRS kind of thing, IMO.

It is a decision that is in tune with the times we live in. The sillyness of current F1 era is driving more and more motorport fans into endurance and GT competitions.
Main reason being the engine freezes and spec systems i think. F1 was much more exciting when everybody was free to work on their car and come up with different ideas and engines. Now it's to sterile and monotone so they all look and sound the same. Runway type Tilke circuits don't help the cause neither...

But I can't help to find that LMP1 only championship a dumb idea. There isn't such a thing in the real world and it shouldn't be in the game.
I figured PCARS would feature multiclass racing in the LMP1 category, that's not the case? :confused:

IMG_225968438987595_zpsyaqxqia6.jpeg

The Lyman might not be my cup of tea, but a free car every month is really quite generous in my opinion, especially given the amount of work that goes into each vehicle. The level of detail is staggering! I hope people think about that before they come out with 'meh, Lykan'...

Back