Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
I just want to see the AI use the same physics engine. If I brake at a point of no return and the AI can go another 20 feet and start braking, it just doesn't make sense and is frustrating. Would also be nice to be able to setup their cars and determine tires and fuel amount.

I just want to see the AI use the same physics engine. If I brake at a point of no return and the AI can go another 20 feet and start braking, it just doesn't make sense and is frustrating. Would also be nice to be able to setup their cars and determine tires and fuel amount.
Strange, I normally outbreak the AI. If anything I find it annoying when I'm following closely & it's like they brake check me into the corner.

Then again it's 50/50 what corners they're slow/fast at.

Another thing to remember is with a slider to adjust AI speed and each AI driver having their own abilities (basically modifications to things like grip) you will never race against the AI with the same physics as you.

When you pass an AI car, more times than not, they try to retake the position within the next 30 seconds or so. If you don't block amazingly well they can pull off this slide around you, defy the laws of physics, brake and steer without losing control maneuver that would send you into the wall in no time. Right, they are on the same physics engine but don't adhere to all the rules. I'm sure if they did, they'd be sliding and crashing all over the place.

And yes, they do just the opposite as well, brake checking you. :)
From modding cars in Assetto Corsa, it's nice to be able to manipulate the AI.ini and the "hints" values to make an AI try and behave.

When you pass an AI car, more times than not, they try to retake the position within the next 30 seconds or so. If you don't block amazingly well they can pull off this slide around you, defy the laws of physics, brake and steer without losing control maneuver that would send you into the wall in no time. Right, they are on the same physics engine but don't adhere to all the rules. I'm sure if they did, they'd be sliding and crashing all over the place.

And yes, they do just the opposite as well, brake checking you. :)
From modding cars in Assetto Corsa, it's nice to be able to manipulate the AI.ini and the "hints" values to make an AI try and behave.
Do you play with full damage on?

I've noticed that even on 100% aggression if you run with full race ending damage on they're a lot more cautious than just running visual only or performance impacting, you don't get as many 1st corner pile ups as well.

I do agree with you though, regardless of what physics they run, they definitely run their own law of it.

Last edited:
I'm gonna get hate for this but one thing i would love to see in project cars in more original tracks like you see in gt and forza.

I know project cars is all about real world racing and that's fine and all but having original tracks would give project cars a identity having tracks that no other game has just like you see in gt and forza.

Really wish they would start adding more original tracks with project cars 3 :(

Do you play with full damage on?

I've noticed that even on 100% aggression if you run with full race ending damage on they're a lot more cautious than just running visual only or performance impacting, you don't get as many 1st corner pile ups as well.

I do agree with you though, regardless of what physics they run, they definitely run their own law of it.

Only risk you run with full damage on is the game 🤬 up your race with the fake "your car is damage so lets hold you up in pit line for 2 minutes even though you enter the pits with zero damage" :banghead: Happens why to often to me at least which is why i had no choice but to switch to visual only which makes racing boring :(

Last edited:
I'm gonna get hate for this but one thing i would love to see in project cars in more original tracks like you see in gt and forza.

I know project cars is all about real world racing and that's fine and all but having original tracks would give project cars a identity having tracks that no other game has just like you see in gt and forza.

Only risk you run with full damage on is the game 🤬 up your race with the fake "your car is damage so lets hold you up in pit line for 2 minutes even though you enter the pits with zero damage" :banghead: Happens why to often to me at least which is why i had no choice but to switch to visual only which makes racing boring :(

Not gonna hate, but I am going to disagree with you 100% :) Not because I necessarily dislike original tracks (Bannochbrae is a firm favourite of mine in pC2) but because I'd always take a real track before an original, and there are just so damn many real world tracks that aren't represented in games/sims.

Give me Croft, Thruxton, Anglesey, The Bend, Sudschleife and any other of the hundreds of lesser known racetracks that haven't been (official) game content for years if ever over fictional tracks, every time.

It would be nice to see how SMS would design a fake track in a country with limited motorsport heritage. Using their surroundings to create an interesting track. For example, places like Switzerland.

But obviously, I'd rather drive real tracks but a selection of something new wouldn't be too bad either.

Not gonna hate, but I am going to disagree with you 100% :) Not because I necessarily dislike original tracks (Bannochbrae is a firm favourite of mine in pC2) but because I'd always take a real track before an original, and there are just so damn many real world tracks that aren't represented in games/sims.

Give me Croft, Thruxton, Anglesey, The Bend, Sudschleife and any other of the hundreds of lesser known racetracks that haven't been (official) game content for years if ever over fictional tracks, every time.

How are you going to completely contradict yourself on that statement and then go on? LOL
So if they made more circuits like Bannochbrea, you'd continue to like them and they'd be your favorites but we need less of that? OK.

Just get AC if you want all those tracks, at over 500 in my AC, the ability to explore new territory seems endless.

How are you going to completely contradict yourself on that statement and then go on? LOL
So if they made more circuits like Bannochbrea, you'd continue to like them and they'd be your favorites but we need less of that? OK.

Just get AC if you want all those tracks, at over 500 in my AC, the ability to explore new territory seems endless.

Simple enough to me - Bannochbrae is great, but if you gave me a straight choice of that or (say) Croft then I'd take the real circuit every time.

As for AC, I've never got on with it - plus modding isn't my thing.

Leaving it down to auto pit strategy I guess? :)

Set a few custom strategies up, mix & match tyres, fuel & damage if you need to but never rely on auto strategy.

I very much prefer the original tracks as well, and my preference would be to add tracks suited for lower powered cars and historic cars.
So basically add some historic tracks and tracks like Zandvoort, Okayama, Hungaroring. Combined with some tracks to would go with a few new racing class licences and perhaps well known tracks as Interlagos and Sebring I would be a very happy man.

That being sad I really like Bannochbrae for an occasional drive but a track like that will never become one of my go to track to try a lot of different cars

It would be nice to see how SMS would design a fake track in a country with limited motorsport heritage. Using their surroundings to create an interesting track. For example, places like Switzerland.

It would be interesting! I also love Bannochbrae and as a minimum I would like to see a reverse of that track added. I agree with others that there are so many great real tracks, both current and historic that could be added.

From Switzerland for example Bremgarten was used for World Championship racing until 1954 - the Le Mans disaster of 1955 resulted in racing being banned by the Swiss. Until that time Bremgarten was second only to the German Grand Prix in prestige and the track was a favourite with drivers. Particular challenges included high speed corners, cobbled surfaces and changes in lighting conditions with most of the track shaded by treas.

Enjoy this footage from 1953 (when the World Championship was for F2 cars).

It would be interesting! I also love Bannochbrae and as a minimum I would like to see a reverse of that track added. I agree with others that there are so many great real tracks, both current and historic that could be added.

From Switzerland for example Bremgarten was used for World Championship racing until 1954 - the Le Mans disaster of 1955 resulted in racing being banned by the Swiss. Until that time Bremgarten was second only to the German Grand Prix in prestige and the track was a favourite with drivers. Particular challenges included high speed corners, cobbled surfaces and changes in lighting conditions with most of the track shaded by treas.

Enjoy this footage from 1953 (when the World Championship was for F2 cars).

Good video @Sick Cylinder while yes i wanna see more original tracks in pc classic tracks are still my favorite in the game and i hope pc3 has alot more added.

Lets be realistic - I would bet a substantial amount that PC3 will not include Bremgarten. The only obscure racing track from the 50s which might make it is Dundrod. Ian is from Northern Ireland and keeps talking about this track.

Lets be realistic - I would bet a substantial amount that PC3 will not include Bremgarten. The only obscure racing track from the 50s which might make it is Dundrod. Ian is from Northern Ireland and keeps talking about this track.
He didn't say it was coming into the game. He said it was a potentially interesting option for a pre-1955 Swiss circuit as I discussed a fantasy track being built there.

Realistically I see them add something like 10 modern tracks and maybe two or three historic versions of existing or added tracks.
Odds for seperate historic tracks are very small in my opinion.

But boy would I love it if they would double the track amount, if only because that increases the chances of personal favorites

Realistically I see them add something like 10 modern tracks and maybe two or three historic versions of existing or added tracks.
Odds for seperate historic tracks are very small in my opinion.

But boy would I love it if they would double the track amount, if only because that increases the chances of personal favorites

One issue SMS face is obsolescence of some of their existing tracks. The older tracks are typically not scanned and will be seven or eight years old when PC3 comes out. If they re-do these tracks then it will limit the funds available for additional tracks. Of course SMS are not alone in facing this issue - most of the iRacing tracks are around 10 years old. Being owned by Codemasters could be a good thing as there should be the potential to share track models.

One issue SMS face is obsolescence of some of their existing tracks. The older tracks are typically not scanned and will be seven or eight years old when PC3 comes out. If they re-do these tracks then it will limit the funds available for additional tracks. Of course SMS are not alone in facing this issue - most of the iRacing tracks are around 10 years old. Being owned by Codemasters could be a good thing as there should be the potential to share track models.
Codies don't even scan the tracks for their F1 games so accuracy isn't top priority for them. I'm doubtful they'll suddenly find the heart to fund SMS for new PC3 track scans but would be nice if I'm wrong.

Just for fun what's your guys prediction on how many cars and tracks pc 3 is gonna ship with?

My guess with be 192 cars and at least 24 tracks not counting the variations of most of them.

Unfortunately you are probably right.

Personally I think the classic tracks which are most likely to make it into PC3 are:
1. Rheims - the buildings have been preserved / restored so can easily be photographed / modelled.
2. Kyalami - Classic layout possibly added after modern layout.
3. Zandvoort - as above
4. Sebring - as above - if a modern layout is added a classic version might follow.

Dundrod could be scanned and if the modern road markings were left off it could be made to look classic. I would welcome it, but it was too narrow for car racing by the mid fifties. The only driver that I can think of who liked racing at Dundrod was Mike Hawthorn and he was its absolute master. Roy Salvadori and Reg Parnell for instance hated the track, considering it too narrow and too dangerous.

Just for fun what's your guys prediction on how many cars and tracks pc 3 is gonna ship with?
Ah, now there's Codemasters involved in the Revolution I'd say about 12 tracks and 30 cars.
With more being added in add-on packs.

Or perhaps...
PCARS 3 won't ship with anything.
...and all content will be added via DLC.

:mischievous:

Ah, now there's Codemasters involved in the Revolution I'd say about 12 tracks and 30 cars.
With more being added in add-on packs.

Well its more than ACC I suppose ;)

Being serious I think Jake is closer, particularly as Ian has said it will have more tracks. And given Ian's past record on making a profitable game and Codies disaster with GRID 2019 (for every player playing GRID 2019 on Steam there are 10 playing PC2) I don't think they will interfere too much.

I'm hopeful for a slight global gravitational increase of maybe 0.2g across the board (not quite sure how to describe this), while I enjoy PC2 immensely I do think the overall game feels lighter than it could be.

I'd like my cars to land with a thud after hitting a curb, it just feels like all cars are about 50-100kg lighter than they should be.

Back