Prologue is really a - Prologue

• Thread starter amar212
  • 38 comments

amar212

GTSurgeons.com
Premium
Croatia
Croatia
So, two hours later - it's all done. All licences passed, all cars unlocked and the real waiting can begin.

Of course, maybe there are new game modes that reveals after you pass all the licences with golds (but no wings though, the pocals are still there), but Prologue is really a Prologue and nothing more. It means: no track racing with competitors (two days later still can't find it, EDITED on Friday, 5th Dec), no 2 player mode, no iLink, no online connectivity, no exhaust flames, no sparks, no tyre wear, no fuel cosuption, no nothing.

EDITED: There is an Arcade mode, but it's just a two-lap time trial with selected car on a selected track. Basically, learn the track and watch the replay numeruos times.

I like the ending movie - cars shown are stunning and I just can't wait for the final game. The HK track is nice, and new Mediteranian track (probably Nice, Cannes or even some other Monte Carlo section) looks great.

Handling model is stunning, visuals are gorgeuos (total hi-res, unmatchable with anyhing seen so far on PS2), sound is fantastic. Slow shifting is the best. Grass is damned.

EDITED: Forget to say the most important things about the physic model: while accelerating the car is unstable until it reach the adequate speed, and while you braking you must really brake or you're off the track in no time. The wheels are locking (brake assist should be off), you can feel the wheel lock and you can clearly hear the tyres skidding while short-braking. Penalty system (wall smashing, cutting chicanes...) is the nice feature. Just love it all.

Like the licences. Gold junking starts today.

Still not sure does it worth the money as a game, but then again, it's worth every damn penny.

Nice review! 👍

No wings? Poop. I was setting myself to win some. With GT4 only, since I wont be getting GT4 Prologue.

BTW, you should put this in the GT4 Prologue thread, and not here.

Originally posted by YZF
What about arcade mode...is it there?

Maybe you should read this part of the review again...

Originally posted by amar212
EDITED: There is an Arcade mode, but it's just a two-lap time trial with selected car on a selected track. Basically, learn the track and watch the replay numeruos times.

EDITED: Forget to say the most important things about the physic model: while accelerating the car is unstable until it reach the adequate speed, and while you braking you must really brake or you're off the track in no time. The wheels are locking (brake assist should be off), you can feel the wheel lock and you can clearly hear the tyres skidding while short-braking. Penalty system (wall smashing, cutting chicanes...) is the nice feature.
Good news - thanks !!

nice review, I just played it for 10 minutes and is the brake assist on or off on defualt please? I tried the options but can't understand Chinese (forgot to buy the Japanese version :rolleyes: )

Theonly times you race a competitor is in the licence tests, ther is no actual races in GT4P so no way to tell if the AI has changed.

Originally posted by live4speed
Theonly times you race a competitor is in the licence tests, ther is no actual races in GT4P so no way to tell if the AI has changed.
Depressing, looks like the Prologue sucks... it only lasted a day.:lol:

I dunno how I stumbled on to this, but on the first day I got it, I was playing around in the arcade mode and instead of just racing by myself in NY, I was racing three other cars... I guess I was in the 'easy' level cuz despite not knowing the NY circuit, I was still able to trash the rest of the competitors... but my point is there propably is a way to race other cars in the arcade mode...

Yes, on IGN they are claiming that you can race 5 competitors on Fuji, New York and Tsukuba. I still cant find a way to unlock that feature.

EDITED: Thing is solved now, there is an option to turn competitors on/off. Should know japanese better:).

Originally posted by amar212 EDITED: Thing is solved now, there is an option to turn competitors on/off. Should know japanese better:).

Which option is that? Can someone who knows Japanese or Chinese give a brief rundown of what the other options do?

EDITED: Thing is solved now, there is an option to turn competitors on/off. Should know japanese better:).

I turned it off by accident when I got it, because I thought it was ASM (Well it was below TCS in the options).

Ah ha! I take it the next option below it sets the AI difficulty?

What's the first option on the "controller" page? Rumble on/off?

Yeah, that's the rumble.

Also i've figured out that you can change your cars tyres. I'll make some screenies.

I am a bit disappointed with GT4P, but again, it's just a Prologue. Yes, the looks are awesome, the sounds superb but there are quite a few things I didn't like: only fours places to race at, you cannot race the same places in reverse, you win tiny crappy cars in most driving tests (not all), tuning is limited to tires, you cannot do a "free run" in arcade... And only Japanese and Chinese! And the worst, for me: after almost three years using the right side analog stick for accelerating and braking I find it very hard to use the small buttons for the same functions. I mean, even in GTC you could use the right side stick for accel/brake! I am driving like $hit and having to get used to the old style; I hope in the final GT4 I can use the right side stick for accel/brake.

I still don't know if I like or hate that 10-second slow-driving penalty for hitting walls and cars. Not because I think it's a bad idea. No, it's great, it forces you to drive correctly, but that feature is only limited to you, the driver. The AI cars will smash your ass and keep going fast! They should be limited to 50 km/h too! That just isn't fair... :banghead:

In the end GT4P is just a Prologue, like a small sample of a delicious cake that is being baked and you will only taste in a few months... I WANT THE FULL CAKE! :mad: And I wanna eat it too... ;)

The text on the cover stated clearly that this is just a sneak preview of the full game

gt4p-grey-text-on-cover.jpg

Originally posted by maskrider
The text on the cover stated clearly that this is just a sneak preview of the full game
Yes, I know that, but I expected a little bit more of it... like being able to customize the controls... that takes almost no extra programing and little extra graphics, and since they already had that on earlier GT games they already know that code well...

Originally posted by Hyundai Racer
Yes, I know that, but I expected a little bit more of it... like being able to customize the controls... that takes almost no extra programing and little extra graphics, and since they already had that on earlier GT games they already know that code well...

May be they have changed quite a bit of the control code that they do not have a stable enough customisation code for the mass.

I doubt that.

Well, they are using a slightly improved graphics engine but the engine for physics and handling was vastly improved (their claim), physics and handling tie very closely to the control code.

And the prologue should be a branch out of one of the more stable previous build on the project. May be the control customisation is not very complete in that build.

One thing I noted on GT4P that I never saw on any other GT is jumpy frames, or slowed down frame rates, seems to me that they are making better graphic quality at the expense of frame rates... :(

One thing I noted on GT4P that I never saw on any other GT is jumpy frames, or slowed down frame rates, seems to me that they are making better graphic quality at the expense of frame rates... :(

Hmm I haven't played GT : P, but I hope that doesn't happen in final GT4. Rarely happened ingame in GTC, & GT4 : P doesnt seem to look much better.

I'd be perfectly content with GTC gfx & 60 fps, rather than slightly better gfx & slowdown.

Look HR, GT4P is not GT4, it's no where near what GT4 will be, how can you say your dissapointed cos it has 5 tracks and is in Japanese or Chinese, the controls ok thats annoying but it's nothing more than a:lazyness from PD b: they couldn't care less seeing as it's a sneak preview or c: they didn't notice which hapens to alot of things in games. The framerate didn't change much but it did change, GT4 has been delayed for reasons, that means that it is being optimised, jumping frames don't always mean the graphics are too good for the computer, the code for example isn't finnished for GT4, GT4P uses GT4's unfinnished code. KY is a perfectionist GT4 will be fine.

Look HR, GT4P is not GT4, it's no where near what GT4 will be, how can you say your dissapointed cos it has 5 tracks and is in Japanese or Chinese, the controls ok thats annoying but it's nothing more than a:lazyness from PD b: they couldn't care less seeing as it's a sneak preview or c: they didn't notice which hapens to alot of things in games. The framerate didn't change much but it did change, GT4 has been delayed for reasons, that means that it is being optimised, jumping frames don't always mean the graphics are too good for the computer, the code for example isn't finnished for GT4, GT4P uses GT4's unfinnished code. KY is a perfectionist GT4 will be fine.
I know well that GT4P is nowhere near what GT4 will be, but at least they could have added some of the old tracks, for fun sake, or whatever. I am actually not disatisfied with the game, meaning I think the game has a few flaws that could have been done better but I still play it. I am almost done with the purple licenses now, and improving some of my silver and bronze medals from the early tests. Overall it is really just a prologue, and I am excited to see where the GT series is going and I will be the first one to buy GT4 in my town. In the end I guess I will finish GT4P and go back to my GT3 game save, and patiently wait for GT4...

Back