Pros/Cons of turbo upgrades

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 4' started by GT Kid, Mar 16, 2005.

1. GT Kid

GT Kid

Although upgrading turbo cars with stage 3 and 4 increases horespower by a large amount, it also decreases torque in the low and mid rpm ranges, and also makes control somewhat more difficult at times. So I'm wondering, will upgrading to stage 3 or 4 turbo always give quicker lap times, or does it depend largely on the track and handling characteristics of the car? It would seem that stage 2 turbo might be more beneficial on winding tracks with small straights, than stage 3 or 4, because the torque and handling isnt effected, but then again I dont really know much about the physics of cars, so any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Div is back

Div is back

You answered yourself.

3. GT Kid

GT Kid

Thanks. I just wasn't sure if i knew what I was talking about... i guess i should have more faith in myself.

4. Kylehnat

Kylehnat Premium

Using a stage 3 or 4 turbo is only useful if you completely upgrade the drivetrain, and gear the car short. Otherwise, the lag will be a HUGE problem. (Option Z, I'm looking in your direction)

5. Crayola

Crayola

If its a tuner car (I mean like 350Z or Skyline) go to one of the brands like mines or HKS and get the original turbo upgrade. Power of a stage 4 without the lag. But like people said, gear it well and you'll be fine anyway. With my turbos I always invest in a triple clutch and racing flywheel too, better response = less lag.

6. Jay

Jay Premium

Yeah stage 5 turbos upgrades (original)are great if your car can have them.

7. code_kev

code_kev

I have one big problem...handling the thing.

My 750+ bhp skyline is UTTERLY insane, it's too damn fast >:0)

8. SirWaWa

SirWaWa

yes Option Z has some turbo lag issues
    u have to wait around till 6K RPM for it to kick up

9. Bridgestoner

Bridgestoner

I got a Scooby from the used car lot, spent about 200k on it and it flies, one of my favourite cars. I got the original turbo and it rocks, loads of power and no lag. Strange that its my favourite car out of a big garage, including the JGTC 350z, fairlady 350z, Nissan Skyline nismo JGTC car and various tuner cars.

10. GT Kid

GT Kid

Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware of this.

11. K1

K1

It also depends on the track, if you a racing on paris george V, then you may want to use NA tune or a low stage turbo, if your at midfield, level 5 or original is the best choice.