PS2 won't play GT4

Hey all
For some reason, both PS2s i got in the house, simply will not Run Gran turismo 4. I spent 2 days desperatly trying to get the PS2 to work. I spent 24 hours almost restarting, opening disk tray, restarting again, over and over, trying to get the Game to run...but it would not.
The disc i had, was from a friend who claimed the game worked on His PS2 (which is bought 6 months ago), i tried to run it on PS2 1, it says 'Disc Read error' and the PS2 2 (chipped). Does not identify the disc as a suitable format.
I love GT4, the best thing since, well GTA San Andreas and of course GT3.
Is there anyway to get my PS2 to run GT4 without problems, it just won't load at all.
My theory is, the game has so much content, my 2 year old PS2 and 4 year old PS2 won't run it because they have worn down over time and the content of the Game is too great for the PS2s CPU or whatever it is to handle.
I don't want to buy a new PS2, and cross my fingers, the Game runs. I won't be able to tell for sure. And it costs be a bit o cash, so it sets me back a bit more.
What am i going to do? Any wonderful solutions to the problem would be appreciated.

And i think my Friends PS2 ran the game, because it is newer PS2 he bought.
Is there any solutions at all, component upgrades? Bash PS2 with baseball bat, jump on PS2 with Football boots? to allow PS2 to run Gran Turismo 4. The greatest game of all time!?

tata

Is it the original game or a copy? Anyway, try to run it in psone mode, which is: insert the disc, close the tray and turn off the console. Then press and hold the reset button until the SCE screen appears. Maybe that´ll work.

I say that your PS2 1 needs to have its laser cleaned up (like mine did - I also got DRE messages with GT4 before I cleaned it up) and that your PS2 2 has a modchip that doesn't work with DVD9.

Try a search on "Read Disc Error" and you'll find lots of information, including how to clean the laser.

How old are they? I heard from a computer shop that if they're too old, GT4 will not run on it, due to the amount of power that the game requires.

It seems to be the truth, as it won't run on my 5 year old PS2, but it will on my 2 year old one.

Anyone who claims that GT4 will not load on the earlier PS2s are just making it up. Ive got a friend who plays GT4 on a LAUNCH Ps2, and its been through a lot of long hardcore gaming.

Have you tried placing the PS2 Horizontally or vertically?? Have you tried cleaning and adjusting the laser??

I too had problems with my GT4 on my PAL chipped PS2. I cleaned the laser and adjusted it a bit and now it works fine, except only when vertical. And my PS2 is at least 6 years old and been through it all.

hey thanks doods
I will try vertical, i will dare, open the PS2, n ave a go at that laser. What do you recommend cleaning and/or adjusting the PS2 laser with. I tried using a powerful vaccum last time to suck out all the dust n crap clogged up in the PS2.
Im no Computer Expert, i might just get a pro to fix the PS2 instead, of risking the beloved console.
I believe you, i reckon any PS2 should be able to load the Game, i know its probably the biggest game since GT4. Sounds daft to me, unless Sony have upgraded the older PS2 components with improved more efficient components.
Dang, not sure, too late at night to think.
Thanks for ur help, im sure it will be proved invaluable to PS2 fixing Effort. lol

Meglomaniac
What do you recommend cleaning and/or adjusting the PS2 laser with. I tried using a powerful vaccum last time to suck out all the dust n crap clogged up in the PS2.
Don't adjust the laser right away (in my case it wasn't necessary).
First just try to clean the laser. Use that stuff people use to clean the lenses of their glasses, for example. Or alcohol. It should work.

Just some alcohol or something on a q-tip and rub the lens gently. That should clean it. As for taking the PS2 apart its very simple. Only thing you have to be careful is to take the cover off gently to one side as the reset/eject cable is still attached to the unit.

There are plenty of guides out there on how to take your PS2 apart. It really is a solid unit and everything is held down securely. Only 2 covers need coming off for you to clean the laser.

Latest Posts

Back