PS3 got YLOD

• Thread starter Disengage
  • 14 comments
Flynnstr
Disengage25
So my PS3 got YLOD so I bought another PS3 but I have my GT game save on the one that has YLOD and it's level 30 A-Spec and 35 B-Spec with 700+ cars :( I was wondering if there was a way to transfer it from my harddrive or something. I don't want to restart my career for the 5th time (literally).

The 'Yellow light of death' happened to my playstation last Christmas, and I also had a lot of save files left on the Playstation HDD. You can easily remove the hard drive from your cactus PS3, place it in your new PS3 and save the data to an external HDD. Then you can just copy that date over to your new playstation. :)

That post is wrong. If you take out the hdd and put it in a new ps3 it will wipe it clean. Only the original ps3 can read the hdd all others will reformat it.

Your only chance is to take it all apart and heat the 2 chips with a heat gun while applying light pressure and then apply new thermal paste. Look for videos on YouTube. This will get it working enough to save your data to a flash stick.

I've done it to 4 different fat ps3's all with success but if you run it hard it will happen again so it's a temporary fix just to get your data.

My mistake. I did back-up my a HDD to an external one a few weeks before the YLOD... and I never tried that procedure (that I wrote) myself.

Sounds like a headache to try and get save files back. Good luck to you, Disengage.

You can often get a YLOD PS3 to work again for some hours (or even more) by just using a hair-dryer. Seriously, I tried it myself with my old fatty and then I could backup my stuff and transfer it to my new PS3 :) ..just hold it in front of the vents on the side (assuming you have a fat PS3) for 10 minutes or so and the chance is not that bad that it will work again. But let it cool down a bit first.

NjLowrider is right - the HDD is encrypted & locked to the original PS3 that it was in. The method he talks about is quite easy - I did it on my old one by following the videos on YouTube made by a guy named Gilksy:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

He claims it's a permanent fix, but for me it lasted a couple of weeks. In any case, it will be long enough to transfer your data using the PS3 Data Transfer Utility: http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html

I have also heard that the hair dryer method AlSvartr mentioned can work, and maybe that would get you running for long enough to run the transfer.

If you can't run the transfer utility for some reason, then backup to a USB stick and open on the new console works too, but you'll need to make sure you've signed into PSN first, as the GT5 data is tied to the PSN name!

Find someone who can properly reflow it. . . It can last between 3 weeks to 4 months if done properly. If you can get it reflowed then back up your data thats good. If you can find someone who can do a proper lead reball, (I am searching for said person as well) then you can likely have your current playstation live for several years.

So my PS3 got YLOD so I bought another PS3 but I have my GT game save on the one that has YLOD and it's level 30 A-Spec and 35 B-Spec with 700+ cars :( I was wondering if there was a way to transfer it from my harddrive or something. I don't want to restart my career for the 5th time (literally).
Haven't you learned yet?
Go buy a USB stick for 5-10 dollars.

(whether or not you get it back)

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I didn't have a heat gun so I baked my MoBo in the oven @ 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Been working so far. I did back up everything as I figure it won't last long as I am hard on it. Just need it to give a few more months before I can afford to replace it.

Back