PS4K - Revealed Alongside PS4 Slim as PS4 Pro - General DiscussionPS4 

• Thread starter Eh Team
  • 523 comments
The question is, do all players with normal PS4 and 1080p tv willing to trade these enhancement by buying a new console and selling the old one ?

One thing I see coming once the NEO releases is thousands of ads popping up on "Craigslist" type sites from people wanting to sell and offset the cost to upgrade. This is going to drive the price of a used PS4 to rock bottom prices, so I could see this bringing the comparative sales to something close to a 50:50 split for Sony (probably still the advantage to regular PS4) since many first-time PS4 buyers will be happy with a used one at half the price.

It will be interesting how many console gamers truely care for the sharpest and smoothest graphics. I don't think it's more than 25% that care enough right now, but I suspect once Neo is out the question will become "what happens after Neo?" that will influence people's decision if to skip it. (I happen to think it would be a smart decision if Sony goes for a 3-tier console structure with the 'ultimate' PS4 in another 3 years and all systems remaining compatible with each other for online gaming) (then the absolute pinnicle of gaming consoles, the PS5 (etc.) can release in 2025, which posesses the graphics and framerates any normal human should consider all that would ever be needed for the rest of their life).

I do want to get a PS4 someday, but with 'NEO' announced, I'm torn between the two of them. With 'NEO' having some improved specs over the current PS4 for possible VR support, I wouldn't use that very much. On top of that, future games could/will have a base mode and a NEO mode, so it'll work for either one, therefore it doesn't matter for me. That, and I don't own a 4K TV, so after reading some posts, the choice for me is clear. I guess that (for me) if I get the 'NEO' model, some features of it won't get used so it would be a waste to get that. But still, I'm torn...

Last edited:
I do want to get a PS4 someday, but with 'NEO' announced, I'm torn between the two of them. With 'NEO' having some improved specs over the current PS4 for possible VR support, I wouldn't use that very much. On top of that, future games could/will have a base mode and a NEO mode, so it'll work for either one, therefore it doesn't matter for me. That, and I don't own a 4K TV, so after reading some posts, the choice for me is clear. I guess that (for me) if I get the 'NEO' model, some features of it won't get used so it would be a waste to get that. But still, I'm torn...

...I'm having a similar dilemma as you - on the month of June a game I've been itching to try is getting released. No Man's Sky, so I was going to buy a PS4 along with the copy of the game.

But if NEO is going to give me a smoother experience when playing this game, then is there a merit in waiting until potentially end of the year to splurge?

Personally, I am leaning towards waiting for NEO. I don't own a 4K TV so the whole UHD bit doesn't concern me for at least another five years or so, and PS4 will only serve as a game console, nothing more. If there's a better experience to be had then I guess I'm willing to wait.

Another wrinkle here though, is the pricing - if I can trade in vanilla PS4 for a NEO and get a discount, I could buy a so-called refurbished PS4 now and trade that later on.

...I'm having a similar dilemma as you - on the month of June a game I've been itching to try is getting released. No Man's Sky, so I was going to buy PS4 then along with the copy of the game.

But if NEO is going to give me a smoother experience when playing this game, then is there a merit in waiting until potentially end of the year to splurge?
I'm also in a similar predicament. However, mine is more rather that is the original PS4 going to be just as smooth an experience? If so, I'll gladly get the lower model.

I'm also in a similar predicament. However, mine is more rather that is the original PS4 going to be just as smooth an experience? If so, I'll gladly get the lower model.

....You're right, there's that fear, isn't it. If it's something similar to how PC games operate, then maybe getting the vanilla PS4 might not be such a bad idea.

This being a uncharted (pun not intended) territory there's just no telling which way this will go. Will the games look and play a bit better on NEO, or will they play a bit worse on the base model? :ill:

From what I heard, game performance on either console should be the same, but NEO can boost certain games. The devs will have to program it, whether they like it or not. Maybe I'll stick to the base PS4... or not, ugh.

Looking at the specs of it, no way could ps4.5 play games in 4k, not even close ! I think it will be a solid 60fps on games, slightly better graphics but hardly noticable and 4k video.

I find this hard to believe.Let's say that you play Project CARS and the standart PS4 goes below 60FPS in some situations,will the PS4K do the same?

...Unless SMS patches the game post NEO launch, I'd imagine it will still dip below 60fps. The extra horsepower will be wasted until the dev tells the software to utilize it.

The issue of games looking inferior on the base model, I belive, will only rise after NEO has been in the wilderness for a year or two and the devs being to favor that console over the vanilla model. I'm just taking a wild guess here so please don't take me too seriously though.

At this point we're all still just guessing on the differences, we can't really judge anything until we see what the reality is. Buying a Neo could end up being a no brainer no matter your TV or it could be pointless.

...Unless SMS patches the game post NEO launch, I'd imagine it will still dip below 60fps. The extra horsepower will be wasted until the dev tells the software to utilize it.

Unless the hardware underclocks or something on games made prior to the Neo's launch, more powerful hardware will absolutely benefit games with unlocked framerates.

Sorry,but I do not believe it.
Unless the hardware underclocks or something on games made prior to the Neo's launch, more powerful hardware will absolutely benefit games with unlocked framerates.

....As I said, I'm taking a wild guess. Don't take my words as the gospel.

It'd be great if you're proven right, but all the talk of games needing patching to get the benefit of extra hardware bump doesn't really fill me with confidence, see...

I'm wondering if PCARS2 will be developed for the Neo and will suffer worse framerate drops on the regular PS4. I had been starting to feel comfortable with the idea of buying a PS4 to play that game and a handful of others, but that plan is frozen until we have more answers on how this will turn out.

I'm wondering if PCARS2 will be developed for the Neo and will suffer worse framerate drops on the regular PS4. I had been starting to feel comfortable with the idea of buying a PS4 to play that game and a handful of others, but that plan is frozen until we have more answers on how this will turn out.
If that's the case then it's going to throw most people with PS4s under the bus in terms of performance. Hopefully it's not.

I still believe that any PS4 game released before NEO will work on it and any future games will work on both systems, just that the games in question will have settings programmed in to differentiate the two. That is, IF developers do that...

I still believe that any PS4 game released before NEO will work on it and any future games will work on both systems, just that the games in question will have settings programmed in to differentiate the two. That is, IF developers do that...

Absolutely. Even in one of the leaked docs it has been mentioned that there will be a base mode and neo mode. It is same like other multiplat games on consoles and PC. 500$ gfx card will obviously run game faster than a 300$ card. I do not see this having any adverse affect on PS4. So many people on internet suddenly believe games will be made for PS4.5 or high end gfx cards instead :confused: It remains to be seen if PS4.5 will be in demand. PS4 is bound to get price drop to 300$ like Xbone and probably will be more popular. I can't see devs favoring PS4.5 when there is a huge market for PS4 players. Make no sense whatsoever.

VXR
If there's two tiers of games on PS4 and the higher tier has a mandatory minimum resolution, then the original model is outdated.

Are you certain, look at it this way and the PS 4.5

Microsoft clearly are now for the future seeking to push PC/Windows 10 for their top Xbox franchises.

Taking the upcoming FM6 beta for example, yes ok it is not the full game nor will it have wheel support right away. Yet it will support DX 12 and upto 4K so really can someone tell me why Sony are possibly not pre-empting this situation with the rumoured new PS4.

Microsoft seem quite intent to bring a TWO TIER solution using Xbox One and PC. It also could effect sales of the Xbox Rim from Fanatec if all USB wheels are given support. We will have to wait to see what happens regards the wheel support but really if Forza 7 comes to PC as well what else on Xbox One as a driving game is left soley on the Xbox One and not also available on PC.

You could find many Forza fans that bought a Xbox One (myself included) migrating to PC.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm under no illusion that Microsoft are the white knight in this situation. They're not going to let Sony offer an improved console to widen the performance gap further without releasing one of their own. Both companies are about to ruin the whole premise of console gaming, that there's one system over a fixed lifespan for devs to work around and it's simple for the consumer.

A pox on the lot of them.

Curious how Sony is trying to "pre-empt" Microsoft doing something that Microsoft has done off and on ever since the original Xbox.

Curious how Sony is trying to "pre-empt" Microsoft doing something that Microsoft has done off and on ever since the original Xbox.

Yes I know they have had past titles on both platforms. Yet they seem to be more serious about it now, for example when was Forza ever available on PC? That has to be one of their biggest "system selling" titles possibly no longer being console exclusive.

Its not a matter of blaming Microsoft or Sony the situation is what it is and competition between both requires action for both parties.

Yes I know they have had past titles on both platforms. Yet they seem to be more serious about it now, for example when was Forza ever available on PC? That has to be one of their biggest "system selling" titles possibly no longer being console exclusive.

latest

In fact, Games For Windows Live, which Microsoft threw a lot more weight behind in the beginning than they have with this current initiative of porting Xbone games to the UWP, was started largely on the back of a particular couple of titles that were a far bigger deal than Forza has ever been:

Halo2_PC_BOX_FINAL.jpg

61GnGWd7OeL.jpg

You'd have to ask Microsoft how serious they are about it now with the Xbox One falling behind the rival console. Things were different with the 360 and they obviously targeted the FPS gamers on PC with those windows live releases.

Your missing the point of the fracas of people going on complaining about Sony bringing a TWO TIER gaming system and even showcase yourself Microsoft did it before, long ago and are looking to do it again.

The term I used could be perhaps better phrased. It depends if PC gets day 1 releases in future for major XB1 titles or if their is a several month gap but I think both companies are looking to try and gain advantage.

It's only opinion btw

Last edited:
No. I got the point. It simply doesn't mean anything. Superior PC versions of big name, system selling console games have existed since game consoles jumped to 3D. This isn't a "new" thing like you implied, nor is it really relevant. Microsoft again remembering that they are also a PC publisher has nothing to do with Sony potentially splitting up their console fanbase; because PC gaming has never been the juggernaut that consoles have been pretty much from the beginning and this:

You could find many Forza fans that bought a Xbox One (myself included) migrating to PC.
Is not at all a common occurrence.

Last edited:
How on Earth did this evolve into XBOne and PC discussion in a $ony (sorry, had to) PS4 thread?

Have we strayed from the conversation or are we just having a good ol' conversation?

Having an opinion is fine. The fact of the matter remains that PC gaming alternates with the tides from being the driving force for console gaming (usually only when a huge game comes out on PC first and publishers scramble to get them on consoles where they know the real money is) to being completely irrelevant to console gaming (and having entire genres of games that barely register an impact when they are occasionally tried on consoles). It's a separate platform entirely, with sometimes extremely different gaming tastes, dramatically higher barriers to entry and rare overlap in playerbase.
This is borne out by how Forza 6 Apex is just Microsoft testing the waters even though it would have virtually no direct competition on the market if they did release a full game; and how Microsoft's previous attempt to make Windows PC a full blown arm of the Xbox family imploded within a year due to disinterest and backlash. It's also borne out by how the console makers in the past have rarely even batted an eye at third party "exclusive" games getting PC ports. Even games with a way bigger impact on the market than Forza has ever had, like when the Final Fantasy games and the first Metal Gear Solid got PC ports during the PSX years; or the handful of original Xbox games (Halo included) that ended up with PC ports.

Completely detached from the argument whether Sony is making a mistake doing so, it's not at all the same thing as Sony releasing a supplementary console into the same market as the console they are currently fielding.

I dont think Sony are making a mistake at all. I see lots of moaning, if it was PS5 coming and it removing titles from PS4 that would be different.

Again I see the situation like Blu Ray / DVD. I see no reason why it won't work if same titles are available. Also for developers they will produce games for platforms they make profit on. You as the consumer choose what platform that is.

I see Microsoft in a position they could push the "fancier" version of a title onto PC platform if they think it is viable or can gain them more sales.

It is too early to make assumptions not knowing the full facts yet of course but I don't see Sony killing the PS4 anymore than I see Microsoft killing XB1. Still too much money to be made from these platforms regardless if they look to expand consumers choices.

I do think the analogy with Bluray/DVD does not work in this case. Sure you can get a 1080P master downscaled to SD and offer kind of similar products to either platforms. Assuming one is only a spatial reduction of the former, the choice of sticking to a format or upgrading to the better seems fair. Now what if the change of specification imposed other sacrifices; what if the DVD is no more respecting the original aspect ratio or language? What if storage restrain imposes a movie re-edit? Would you still consider it an acceptable offering?

I’m afraid there is little guarantee that upcoming PS4 titles will remain as optimized as they could have been within the confines of a single architecture. If anything the opposite is more likely as the implicated costs of having two specs of a same console could arguably lower the point at which a game designer will consider further fine tuning isn’t worth the trade off, be it from a time or financial perspective.

Ultimately it’s up to the consumer choice indeed, but unless Sony is offering an upgrading path, 40 millions of them could well have been deprived of it.

Back